User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-2013, 07:49 PM   #1
Vettel OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Booster plug - thoughts?

I ride a 2012 F650GS, 9 months of the year, hot and cold, rain or sun, mud and tarmac, and have noticed the bike runs so much better in the cooler temps, 2-6 Deg C.

So.........
Anyone tried one?
Any good, waste of cash or indifferent?

All opinions, on the booster plug, are welcome and appreciated

http://www.boosterplug.com/shop/boos...50gs-209p.html
Old 10-26-2013, 10:50 PM   #2
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,406
They work good enough, I would never remove mine. I have the Accelerator module http://www.sol2.be/Performance/ENG/Home/index.html which uses the same technology. Booster Plug has a good explanation of why they work. There are inmates in vendors who make them too.

I bought it to deal with the snatchy throttle on the F800gs at low rpms. It will lug at lower rpms than it would ever do before. Doing some of the Sierra Nevada passes is a blast and doesn't require a lot of shifting to do it.

Added HP? it feels stronger and smoother, but it might just be wishful thinking.

The F650gs is geared taller and you may not have a snatchy throttle issue. You might not benefit as much.
Old 10-27-2013, 02:01 AM   #3
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post
They work good enough, I would never remove mine. I have the Accelerator module http://www.sol2.be/Performance/ENG/Home/index.html which uses the same technology. Booster Plug has a good explanation of why they work. There are inmates in vendors who make them too.

I bought it to deal with the snatchy throttle on the F800gs at low rpms. It will lug at lower rpms than it would ever do before. Doing some of the Sierra Nevada passes is a blast and doesn't require a lot of shifting to do it.

Added HP? it feels stronger and smoother, but it might just be wishful thinking.

The F650gs is geared taller and you may not have a snatchy throttle issue. You might not benefit as much.
do you use the compact or extended version?

nvm saw in an other thread that you use "the old version", since the compact version got out first I think you use that one :o). Well first time I order one of these farkles out of europe and not the US . Really happy to only pay 5 in shippings

R1150GSA SE

Loutre screwed with this post 10-27-2013 at 02:43 AM
Loutre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 03:44 AM   #4
Vettel OP
Adventurer

The throttle on the 650 is still pretty snatchy, but you get used to it. No where near as smooth as my old cbr600, but i knew it before i bought the bike.
With some of the roads around here being as bumpy as they are, it can get a little jerky at times anyway.

The point is, at the colder temps, the bike "feels and seems" so much smoother. I like the look of these as they can connect in without having to splice into the harness.

The accelerator is a whole lot cheaper too. Sweet. Thanks.

Vettel screwed with this post 10-27-2013 at 03:57 AM
Vettel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 04:59 AM   #5
roger 04 rt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettel View Post
I ride a 2012 F650GS, 9 months of the year, hot and cold, rain or sun, mud and tarmac, and have noticed the bike runs so much better in the cooler temps, 2-6 Deg C.

So.........
Anyone tried one?
Any good, waste of cash or indifferent?

All opinions, on the booster plug, are welcome and appreciated

http://www.boosterplug.com/shop/boos...50gs-209p.html
I have three BoosterPlugs, know the owner well and think that they are quality products. They do exactly what the manufacturer says and lower the electronic temperature sensor's signal.

Your BMSK, however, will get used to it after a while through a process known as Closed Loop Adaptation.

Have a look at the Wideband O2 thread I started in this forum, a product known as the BMW-AF-XIED will do more for your performance, costs only a little more, and the longer it's installed the more benefit you get which is the opposite situation of air temp modifiers. Jscottyk has it installed and I'm delivering two more trials this week.

I use a BoosterPlug at times to bias my fueling tables to help my LC-1 (like a BMW-AF-XIED).
roger 04 rt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 05:09 AM   #6
Vettel OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger 04 rt View Post
Your BMSK, however, will get used to it after a while through a process known as Closed Loop Adaptation.

Have a look at the Wideband O2 thread I started in this forum, a product known as the BMW-AF-XIED will do more for your performance, costs only a little more, and the longer it's installed the more benefit you get.

So are you saying that the longer i leave an accelerator or booster plug installed, the "effect" goes away over time?

I am used to both open and closed loop controls (from work), but can not recall this closed loop adaptation...either way, its too in depth for me on a sunday morning. I just want to make the bike run smooth on hot days as well as cold!

Thanks for the input.

Vettel screwed with this post 10-27-2013 at 05:14 AM
Vettel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 07:35 AM   #7
roger 04 rt
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettel View Post
So are you saying that the longer i leave an accelerator or booster plug installed, the "effect" goes away over time?

I am used to both open and closed loop controls (from work), but can not recall this closed loop adaptation...either way, its too in depth for me on a sunday morning. I just want to make the bike run smooth on hot days as well as cold!

Thanks for the input.
Hi Vettel,
Yes, for sure on a BMSK equipped motorcycle the effect of IAT modification diminishes over time.

It's as simple as this. The BMSK learns in closed loop that it takes 6% less fuel than the IAT is suggesting (although it doesn't know the source it just knows that it takes more). Therefore it develops a Short Term Trim so that it converges on Closed Loop fueling faster the next time.

After a while, when the STTs have stuck around for a while they become long term fuel trims. The long term trims are applied to open loop fueling calculations. The process is know and documented. The exact methods are secret to BMW.

The BP and XIED play very well together although just an XIED works as well after a few tanks of fuel. If you have a BP keep it on even after you install the BMW-AF-XIED.
RB
Old 10-27-2013, 07:36 AM   #8
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Yes I have the short version. The goal is to keep the resister temps at least as cool as the air in the air box. There is enough shrouding where the short version lays, that I think it does that.
Old 10-27-2013, 07:59 AM   #9
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,116
Quote:
Yes I have the short version. The goal is to keep the resister temps at least as cool as the air in the air box. There is enough shrouding where the short version lays, that I think it does that.
Thanks for the feedback, ordering mine now :o)

R1150GSA SE

Loutre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 08:06 AM   #10
roger 04 rt
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Since these devices provide the main air temperature feedback to the BMSK the best location of a non-probe device would be inside the air box. If the air if hot there, say you're at a light idling, you want the IAT device to see that. The goal isn't to find the coolest spot but the most accurate one.

In any case the BMSK learns about the "mistake" that IAT shifting creates in its calculations. And then it makes corrections, even in the open loop area.
RB
Old 11-07-2013, 04:04 PM   #11
Rubberbband
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Installed my boosterplug two days ago and I have notice that it does run smoother. When running the bike from a cold start though it hesitates and bogs when you crank the throttle open. Feels like and old carbed bike lol
Rubberbband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 09:18 AM   #12
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

When I first installed mine it was a hot summer day, it seemed to take a tank or 2 for the BMSK to adjust. It got better.

A week ago I unhooked the battery cable. When I reinstalled it (Ca. does have a winter season), the bike bucked, snorted and even backfired once. Within 20 miles it was back to normal. There seems to be a learning curve.

itsatdm screwed with this post 11-09-2013 at 09:23 AM
itsatdm is online now   Reply With Quote