utefan
03'XR650R

Oddometer: 324
Great ride report Dirtbiker78
Old 11-05-2013, 03:58 AM   #77
tt100
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 251
I was stationed at Edwards AFB years ago and we ate at Domingo's regularly. I took my parents there once. The guy at the door said, "Welcome to Boron". My mom said, "How do you know I'm not from Boron?" He told her, Ma'am, I'm the Mayor of Boron, I know everybody..."Turned out he owns the restaurant too. Great food and more different tequila's than I knew existed. Once he gave me a shot of the best tequila I've ever had for my birthday. I think he said the bottle was $400. Great memories, thanks
tt100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 09:38 AM   #78
Dirtbiker78 OP
Getting there...

Oddometer: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don T View Post
Thanks Don
Old 11-05-2013, 09:39 AM   #79
Dirtbiker78 OP
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Cup View Post
Hi Dirtbiker, loved your report. I too liked the route 66 adventure and I rode it from Chicago to Kingman but had not made the rest of the route to the Pacific Ocean yet. Was good to see it. If you want to know what you missed going East. Here is my route 66 report.
Thanks 10Cup

Nice RR
Old 11-05-2013, 09:44 AM   #80
Dirtbiker78 OP
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tt100 View Post
I was stationed at Edwards AFB years ago and we ate at Domingo's regularly. I took my parents there once. The guy at the door said, "Welcome to Boron". My mom said, "How do you know I'm not from Boron?" He told her, Ma'am, I'm the Mayor of Boron, I know everybody..."Turned out he owns the restaurant too. Great food and more different tequila's than I knew existed. Once he gave me a shot of the best tequila I've ever had for my birthday. I think he said the bottle was $400. Great memories, thanks
I loved Domingo's. I'm glad that could bring back memories for you.
Thanks for following along on my thread.

Old 11-07-2013, 11:03 AM   #81
MapMaster
Human Compass

Oddometer: 842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbiker78 View Post
I headed through death valley on a road that must have been drawn on the map by an accountant, there was no imagination in that road what so ever, it was simply the shortest line between two points.
A very enjoyable report. Loved the enthusiasm you conveyed!

I'll give the CalTrans engineers a pass on Death Valley. I spent a more than a week playing in the Sierra's and other parts of Cali this past June (see the Wedding Bells link in my sig line) and between old favorites and the many new bits of asphalt ambrosia I discovered, I'm ready to ennoble the entire department. Besides, when it's 120 degrees, the shortest distance across that beautiful, but hellaciously hot terrain, is the best option.

Cheers
MapMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 12:19 PM   #82
OldTriumphRider
Livin the Dream

Oddometer: 128
great ride

thanks for sharing , great pix . looks like a fun ride.
OldTriumphRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 07:22 PM   #83
Tom48
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 411
A perfect trip. Thanks for posting it
Old 11-08-2013, 12:48 AM   #84
b1pig
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 764
good read! some trips are best planned. i think the best trips are those with NO plans. i've ended up on sections of route 66 twice. once in 2003 on a Jeep-Inspired Moab run from s.ga with the family, and again in 2009 when the wife and i flew out to vegas. i found some Route 66 sections on ... an UN planned day-trip down to Lake Havasu City in a rental car.

i've read others' reports (car and bike) where they followed as much of the route as possible.
'07 GZ250 (wife)
b1pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 10:04 AM   #85
Dirtbiker78 OP
Getting there...

Cross Bones !!

Hi Everyone,

Thank you so much for all the replies on my post. That really makes the trouble of putting it all down worthwhile.

Cross got delayed coming out of Washington, But I got him last night and he's home and well.

Cross spent his entire life looking for his Kong (chew toy) cause that was his favorite toy and the one that was used to train him for his scent recognition for explosives and his reward when he found them. Now that he's "Retired" I've given him the toy and he has it with him all the time
Old 11-24-2013, 11:17 AM   #86
primate
vagabundus

Oddometer: 3,308
I finally got around to finish reading your RR. Good looking pooch, glad you got him home. I was just going to say, that as I read ride reports, I usually have google maps open so I can see where folks are. On the first page you state that you were fired up about Rte 66, then you blasted through Kingman, first think I noticed on the map was a Rte 66 museum there. You may want to do a day trip.
Old 11-24-2013, 11:48 AM   #87
Dirtbiker78 OP
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by primate View Post
I finally got around to finish reading your RR. Good looking pooch, glad you got him home. I was just going to say, that as I read ride reports, I usually have google maps open so I can see where folks are. On the first page you state that you were fired up about Rte 66, then you blasted through Kingman, first think I noticed on the map was a Rte 66 museum there. You may want to do a day trip.
Thanks for your feedback. That's a great idea, I may just do that
Old 11-24-2013, 01:46 PM   #88
oneway
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
nice ride report. let me tell you how RIGHT YOU ARE ABOUT DOMINGO"S:
Domingo started in Tehachapi, now has left that restaurant to his brother Gilbert, and started the restaurant in Boron. seemingly nowhere, but it draws the Edwards AFB crowd. I live in Tehachapi, yet I drive to boron to go to Domingo"s. it's that good!!!
now he has opened a new restaurant in Lancaster, CA. already been there 3 times, just last week as a matter of fact. can't believe you stumbled on it. now you got me thinking it would be a nice little ride for a get together.:freak y
oneway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 10:36 AM   #89
Dirtbiker78 OP
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneway View Post
nice ride report. let me tell you how RIGHT YOU ARE ABOUT DOMINGO"S:
Domingo started in Tehachapi, now has left that restaurant to his brother Gilbert, and started the restaurant in Boron. seemingly nowhere, but it draws the Edwards AFB crowd. I live in Tehachapi, yet I drive to boron to go to Domingo"s. it's that good!!!
now he has opened a new restaurant in Lancaster, CA. already been there 3 times, just last week as a matter of fact. can't believe you stumbled on it. now you got me thinking it would be a nice little ride for a get together.:freak y
Thanks for the info. That was the best place I ate at on the whole trip and I'm definitely stopping in there again when I'm next in that part of the world. It's close to 500 miles from where I live though so not exactly a "there and back" kind of place for me, but like you say, it would be nice to plan a ride around Domingo's, maybe include it as a part of a future adventure.

Laura's still not home and I'm already so bored I considered vacuum cleaning the back garden
It's much better to be alone inside your helmet than alone in an empty house, I think about this road trip often and wish I could have stayed on the road a little longer.

There's always a next time though
Old 11-28-2013, 11:06 PM   #90
boatpuller
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 464
Nice ride report. I just found it, and know nuthin' about you except what's in here. But it sounds like you've adopted the U.S. as your home, and already contributed through your service - welcome and thank you. If you think you'll ride in any more chilly temps, invest in a heated jacket and gloves, and a controller. Once you get them, you'll love them. They are good for cool, and also for freezing cold. Your bike has the charging system to support them.

If you ride 66 east, you're invited to look me up in St. Louis. Just send a PM in advance, so I can get you contact info. 66 is a mile from my home, and it's a treat to visit with riders on a big trip. (I also know how nice it can be to visit with locals: I've slept on a couch in some hippies' trailer in the Everglades; dined with distant relatives all over the country; stayed with the friend of a friend's friend in SD, CA; Welcomed into a rider's home in Seattle, etc. etc. etc. From strangers I've met along the way, I have standing invites to homes in the Smokey Mountains, Ozark Mountains, southern tip of TX, Glacier NP, CO, Canadian Rockies, Berkshire Mountains, and some I'm forgetting. It's all been good and part of the richness of motorcycle travel. So, reach out if you come through the area.)

The kong: Our dog also loves her's, but especially when it's stuffed with milk bone treats. Cross looks beautiful, btw.
boatpuller is offline   Reply With Quote