Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-2013, 11:01 PM   #1
Michel77 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
Another R75/5 joining!

Hey guys and gals,
Just wanna say hi as I'll be lurking here for the foreseeable future getting up to speed on the airheads. Have done some research and finally found a good one to start with at a decent price. Got some plans for down the road but for now enjoying her as is.

She's a 1973 R75/5:

Old 10-26-2013, 11:11 PM   #2
gsd4me
90% bluff

Oddometer: 7,060
So, what do you plan on doing to the old girl?

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...uild+australia
gsd4me is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 11:24 PM   #3
Michel77 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsd4me View Post
So, what do you plan on doing to the old girl?
Nothing major, I think.. Some wider bars, black out the exhausts, Kenda K70's, maybe find some smaller alloy fenders, lighter battery, that'll probably do
Old 10-26-2013, 11:54 PM   #4
OLD GREEN
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 317
Nice, I was just looking at that one on craigslist last night! Good score.
OLD GREEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 04:20 AM   #5
JonnyCash
turd polisher

Oddometer: 1,417
I'm guessing that you haven't been riding it at night, with the headlight aimed down at your front tire like that. That's a nice looking bike there, good score. Welcome to the club!
Old 10-27-2013, 07:58 AM   #6
Renner
infamous wrench

Oddometer: 2,007
very cool

interesting seat treatment, resembling the earlier rennbröchten, or more like the 'breadloaf' pillion.

long wheel base swingarm...

early headlamp bucket supports, not drilled for the later reflectors.
I stuck high-reflectivith tape (black, adhesive backed) over the holes on mine to achieve that appearance.

love it. enjoy
Old 10-27-2013, 08:09 AM   #7
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,378
Have you been through inspection yet? Maybe you don't have to in Washington? But I can't imagine they don't have an inspection. As Renner pointed out there are no holes drilled for the side reflectors and there are no aluminum turn signals with the reflectors so I'm thinking you may have a problem if the inspector notices this. Generic reflectors are available but will have to be attached. The missing pieces, if that is what's going on, will not be cheap.

Welcome to the asylum. We are the inmates and now you are one to.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 09:18 AM   #8
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer: 4,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by disston View Post
Have you been through inspection yet? Maybe you don't have to in Washington? But I can't imagine they don't have an inspection. As Renner pointed out there are no holes drilled for the side reflectors and there are no aluminum turn signals with the reflectors so I'm thinking you may have a problem if the inspector notices this. Generic reflectors are available but will have to be attached. The missing pieces, if that is what's going on, will not be cheap.

I'm not seeing turn signals at all much less either of the the original types.

Didn't have an inspection in CO. It had a title and registration, to transfer I just had to do a numbers check and that was it. If it wasn't registered in another state that might have been different.
Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 10:01 AM   #9
r60man
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by disston View Post

Turn signals did not become mandatory in the U.S. until 1974. However, if a machine was built with them they must have them to pass inspection. That is here in PA and it may be different there, but it is worth investigating.

Speed doesn't kill anyone, suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you - Jeremy Clarkson
r60man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 10:28 AM   #10
JonnyCash
turd polisher

Oddometer: 1,417
In Maine, if a vehicle is 25 years old, you can put antique plates on it. Registration costs half of normal, and you don't have to get it inspected. The only issue is that it cant be your primary means of transport. Also, the machine is supposed to be maintained in stock trim, but really who's gonna check up on that, as long as it's not a chopper or some other blantantly non-stock modification. What are other states' version of this?
Old 10-27-2013, 11:21 AM   #11
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer: 4,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyCash View Post
In Maine, if a vehicle is 25 years old, you can put antique plates on it. Registration costs half of normal, and you don't have to get it inspected. The only issue is that it cant be your primary means of transport. Also, the machine is supposed to be maintained in stock trim, but really who's gonna check up on that, as long as it's not a chopper or some other blantantly non-stock modification. What are other states' version of this?
In CO antique plates cost just the same. They ain't givin' up a dime. No big restrictions, just the original year of MFG. Only advantage is you can buy your registration in 5 year blocks rather than yearly. There is some status for vehicles that essentially aren't driven. Just parades and whatnot.
Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 11:48 AM   #12
chollo9
Screwed the Pooch

Oddometer: 1,116
In NC, anything over 35 years old doesn't need to be inspected.
Old 10-27-2013, 09:38 PM   #13
Tin Woodman
Mike

Oddometer: 191
Quote:
In British Columbia, they are called 'collector plates' and your bike must be at least 25 years old and in original condition. It is for pleasure use only and can't be used for business or going to work. The process takes about a month and a half and involves submitting an application along with 4 photographs documenting its current condition. I paid $195 which includes $1 million third party liability. Otherwise, I estimate the rate would be over $2400 per year.
Old 10-28-2013, 06:01 AM   #14
r60man
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 376
Quote:
Here in PA after 25 years you can register your vehicle as a classic, I think after 35 antique, but I am not sure. Neither of those need inspections. They do check here for "stock trim" and you need to submit pictures which go on record. The police here in my area are notorious for stopping people driving their "classic" vehicles on work days, and at night, both of which you are not allowed to do unless on the way to or home from a car/bike show. This is why I choose to keep regular tags and get the bike inspected. I take mine to an independent guy that works with mostly Harleys. If the bike is even close it passes, no questions asked.

Speed doesn't kill anyone, suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you - Jeremy Clarkson
r60man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 11:10 AM   #15
SOLO LOBO
airhead or nothing

Oddometer: 8,567
No inspections for anything here in WA.

The only risk you run is being pulled over and ticketed if the office (1) knows the rules (2) has the time to cite you and (3) cares enough to write you up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
your bike is suitably dirty. Well done.
SOLO LOBO is offline   Reply With Quote