User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2013, 12:55 PM   #16
spo123
Man About Town

Oddometer: 707
Cool2

Here in the USA, mandatory blinkers did begin with model year 1972.
FYI.
Old 10-28-2013, 04:52 PM   #17
Michel77 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLO LOBO View Post
No inspections for anything here in WA.

The only risk you run is being pulled over and ticketed if the office (1) knows the rules (2) has the time to cite you and (3) cares enough to write you up
Thanks for clearing that up, Solo, was starting to get nervous :) I do however want to run turn signals as I ride in the city, how difficult would that be if there were never any installed?

Thanks for the warm welcome guys, I'm looking forward to my time here and am starting to read up and use the search extensively!
Old 10-28-2013, 07:22 PM   #18
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer: 4,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michel77 View Post
Thanks for clearing that up, Solo, was starting to get nervous :) I do however want to run turn signals as I ride in the city, how difficult would that be if there were never any installed?

Thanks for the warm welcome guys, I'm looking forward to my time here and am starting to read up and use the search extensively!
They came stock on the bike. Really nice aluminum pods. They are on a rod at the rear and ears at the front. look at other pics.

At the rear there is a cable running inside the subframe next to the pump (where is that?). it has the wiring for the rear light and brake, and rear turn signals. Should have a connector by the grab handle.

Up front wires came out of the headlight shell, ran inside the headlight ears and out the turn signal stalks/ears.

Switch function should be there.

You could rig anything you want. In aftermarket, LED is reccomended because you have little power. Use with a special LED flasher. The oem flasher was costly and funky. This also may be less expensive than trying to find the oem pods and parts. The rear rods are common--they get bent but easy to straiten. Also the later plastic pods are common. The plastic pods bust be used with the plastic reflectors. Aluminum pods are used with pot metal reflectors. lenses and bulbs interchange.
Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 05:37 PM   #19
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,794
You have an early /5 that would have had the turn signals with integral reflectors. That's why the discussion about no holes drilled in the headlight mount for reflectors. To get the original aluminum signal pods with side markers will not be cheap. Another aluminum signal could be drilled and the reflectors fitted if you had the reflectors. Give it a shot. maybe you'll get lucky and find the original parts. Look on RealOem dot come for all the parts that go with the original system.

Then you will probably have to fit something after market. Most anything will work. You may have most of the wiring still in place. The switch is there, right? And there is a relay in the headlight shell? See if you can find the original wiring and it may get easier. If you have to add everything all over it is a bigger job.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 11:11 AM   #20
Michel77 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for the info, guys! I'll figure it out and probably find some cheap LED blinkers, not really going for an OEM resto..
Old 10-30-2013, 11:31 AM   #21
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer: 4,587
Quote:
Thanks for the info, guys! I'll figure it out and probably find some cheap LED blinkers, not really going for an OEM resto..
OEM used 21 watt bulbs. So 43 watts or so every time you use them. A /5 can do with as little electrical load as you can manage. LEDs make huge sense.
Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 11:42 AM   #22
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

I understand that mandatory blinkers were not used in 1972 but this bike was built with blinkers. Now you may fool almost any cop or even inspection agent. I have friends that got a bike thru just by saying they weren't used that year. The inspectors only expect blinkers to work if fitted sometimes.

But reflectors are a different issue and I think they are required. The first years of /5 had reflectors on the blinkers. Those are hard to find.

Do let us know what happens when you take it through. All our presupposing is rather pointless if it passes, ain't it?

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Old 10-30-2013, 02:34 PM   #23
Michel77 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disston View Post
I understand that mandatory blinkers were not used in 1972 but this bike was built with blinkers. Now you may fool almost any cop or even inspection agent. I have friends that got a bike thru just by saying they weren't used that year. The inspectors only expect blinkers to work if fitted sometimes.

But reflectors are a different issue and I think they are required. The first years of /5 had reflectors on the blinkers. Those are hard to find.

Do let us know what happens when you take it through. All our presupposing is rather pointless if it passes, ain't it?
Based on Solo Lobo's reply previously, I don't think I'll need an inspection here in WA. I just want to add blinkers for safety in the city..
Old 10-30-2013, 04:21 PM   #24
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Quote:
Based on Solo Lobo's reply previously, I don't think I'll need an inspection here in WA. I just want to add blinkers for safety in the city..
I think that works.

We sometimes make a big deal out of stuff that turns out to be not such a big deal. Call it an interwebs disease.

Old 10-30-2013, 08:24 PM   #25
elite-less
As above, so below

Oddometer: 538
Welcome to the fold! Sounds like another scrambler in the works...?

I have a used set of hella style bar end signals you can have.

I'm in Everett, a few of us reclusive airhead inmates reside in SnoCo. PM if interested.
Old 11-10-2013, 07:33 PM   #26
Michel77 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Figured I'd keep this thread updated as I go along making it my own.. Got some junkyard dirtbike bars ($10 ) fitted this weekend along with some new grips, much better position for me an I like the additional leverage of the wider bars.

While at the junkyard, got my American Pickers hat on an found some more rusty gold

Needs some serious restoration but I'll give it a shot for $20!

Keep you inmates posted. Elite, sending you another e-mail as I was out of town this weekend!
Old 11-10-2013, 10:11 PM   #27
Justus
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Good luck with that seat! It does look pretty cool though, what did it come from?

Regarding the bars, are they the proper/weirdly sized BMW bars or did you shoehorn the controls onto a 7/8" bar? I'm interested in getting similar bars for my /5.
Justus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 09:10 AM   #28
Michel77 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justus View Post
Good luck with that seat! It does look pretty cool though, what did it come from?

Regarding the bars, are they the proper/weirdly sized BMW bars or did you shoehorn the controls onto a 7/8" bar? I'm interested in getting similar bars for my /5.
Thanks, no idea what that seat is from, I'm guessing some 60's/70's dirtbike.

The bars are 7/8", I just used a dremel type tool to widen up the control brackets a bit, no biggie. I'd definitely recommend it, it is a big improvement.
Old 11-11-2013, 09:53 AM   #29
Thorazine
Likes exhaust fumes

Oddometer: 683
Yes! Another rescued Airhead Hey, Michel, welcome to the asylum! I agree with the other inmates. You have and should come out ahead. Little things may pop up, but you should be OK. You got a nice bike. I like those new bars. Look up the Airheads. Go to http://www.airheads.org/ lots of members in WA & BC. Besides doing lots of rides and camp outs, they have Techdays where everyone meets up at someone's house and they work on their Airheads. There's always a few Airhead gurus there to give a hand or pass along their expertise. Plus They usually have most of the special tools for the odd or even common jobs. And beer and bratwurst is usually on hand. Quite a few Heads here on this forum--good advice found here.

To find the actual month your bike was built, go here: http://www.bmw-z1.com/VIN/VINdecode-e.cgi Just put in your vin# (look just above the oil fill hole on the left side of the block right by the carb).

Many good places to get the special tools. I've used this guy, and will go back for more. Again, other good sources, but check this guy out: http://www.northwoodsairheads.com/

Good luck, and welcome again.

* Posts submitted under the moniker Thorazine are for entertainment purposes only, and may include exaggerations, prevarications or bald-faced lies. -- Thorazine - '74 R90/6
Thorazine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 12:57 PM   #30
Michel77 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorazine View Post
Yes! Another rescued Airhead Hey, Michel, welcome to the asylum! I agree with the other inmates. You have and should come out ahead. Little things may pop up, but you should be OK. You got a nice bike. I like those new bars. Look up the Airheads. Go to http://www.airheads.org/ lots of members in WA & BC. Besides doing lots of rides and camp outs, they have Techdays where everyone meets up at someone's house and they work on their Airheads. There's always a few Airhead gurus there to give a hand or pass along their expertise. Plus They usually have most of the special tools for the odd or even common jobs. And beer and bratwurst is usually on hand. Quite a few Heads here on this forum--good advice found here.

To find the actual month your bike was built, go here: http://www.bmw-z1.com/VIN/VINdecode-e.cgi Just put in your vin# (look just above the oil fill hole on the left side of the block right by the carb).

Many good places to get the special tools. I've used this guy, and will go back for more. Again, other good sources, but check this guy out: http://www.northwoodsairheads.com/

Good luck, and welcome again.
Hey, thanks for the welcome and all the info, much appreciated!! I'll get some tools sorted out and am in touch with a few of the local inmates as well!