Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Tejas and the Gulf States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2014, 08:14 PM   #46
ChrisSRT
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
Sandman, that helps a lot. I think I've ridden part of that route. I have ridden Conely Rd, between Horizon Blvd and Montana, it is gravel most way. I would take you up on the guided tour as well, but couldn't do it until Sat.
ChrisSRT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 09:49 AM   #47
Jcu572
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
It all depends when my countershaft seal comes in. You guys are awesome
Jcu572 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 11:21 AM   #48
MrSandman818 OP
INaVANdownBYtheRIVER

Oddometer: 810
Well then It will have to be another time then. Its pretty straight forward out there when you have a gps. As for the terrain, If you decide to start at the dunes there is a short deep sand section. that can be bypassed by driving down Montana another 300 yards or so and dropping in there. Otherwise its mostly gravel roads that are well groomed. But once your going 70-90 mph potholes and washouts light to pop up. Then there's the hard packed sand with the surprise soft sand sections. nothing too crazy. Just adds a nice pucker factor when your boogying. And there's a few short paved sections. My fat orange pig of a bike with a bald tkc 80 rear and a scorpion front had no issues going through anything.

After I get tires I would love to do the ride to Cloud croft. My 950 tends to burn through tires. Guess they don't like breaking traction when im going 100mph on gravel. Design flaw IMO.
1978 Batavus 48
MrSandman818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 11:56 AM   #49
Jcu572
Adventurer

Yeah I agree. My klr doesn't have that issue, mainly because I'm lucky to hit 100 on the highway. Also your ktm was designed to be on its side, my klr will probably explode if I go down. I look forward to finding out
Old 07-15-2014, 12:04 PM   #50
Jcu572
Adventurer

http://www.transamtrail.com/shadow-o...rockies-trail/
IV been dying to do the shadow of the rockies from ep to Canada.
Old 07-15-2014, 08:04 PM   #51
ChrisSRT
Adventurer

I'm not that fast, but have been getting more comfortable in the dirt again.
Old 07-16-2014, 11:22 AM   #52
Jcu572
Adventurer

I'm a dirt bike rider from the east coast. It's all treas and hard packed dirt. Here the sand is really soft, scares the crap out of me. I'm running the stock tires on my klr I think it would be better with a d606 front and rear
Old 07-16-2014, 04:55 PM   #53
MrSandman818 OP
INaVANdownBYtheRIVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisSRT View Post
I'm not that fast, but have been getting more comfortable in the dirt again.
I hate the soft stuff too. Especially on the KTM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcu572 View Post
I'm a dirt bike rider from the east coast. It's all treas and hard packed dirt. Here the sand is really soft, scares the crap out of me. I'm running the stock tires on my klr I think it would be better with a d606 front and rear
Tires make a big difference. But that being said I ran Pirelli scorpions for years and went everywhere my buddies 950 went on tkc 80's. I spun my tires more than he did and on the groomed gravel straights 95 was my top speed while he was going 118 gps confirmed. You don't really look down at the speedo going those speeds if you want to live. Ive mellowed out a little bit since my multiple wrecks. My vison gets super blurry these days after many concussions. So when I get into a pissing contest with someone else I literally cant see shit.
1978 Batavus 48
Old 07-16-2014, 06:22 PM   #54
SquatBirdJunior
n00b

Oddometer: 7
I put a TKC80 on the back on my KLR. Seems Ok, only have a couple hundred miles of street/dirt on it. Looks like a worn 606. The TKC80 is just to short in the knobbies for me in the sand. If I was doing more street riding, I would think it was a good compromise. I'm going back to the 606 when I finish the CDT in august. My petcock started leaking, waiting on a replacement with less problems.
Old 07-16-2014, 07:26 PM   #55
westerlywinds
Two Wheels-Ride it

Oddometer: 165
El Paso

Hi I am interested in riding with people I have a klr 250. It is my first dirt bike in about 25 years. I spent most of my life on BMW road bikes. I am now a retired city bus driver and have an open schedule. I like riding and drinking beer and talking about riding.
westerlywinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 08:36 PM   #56
Jcu572
Adventurer

seal just got fixed and I'm on vacation so I'm down for riding whenever you all are
Old 07-16-2014, 09:12 PM   #57
ChrisSRT
Adventurer

I'm good to ride this weekend. Just need to get a hair cut early Sat morning, but otherwise open to anytime.
Old 07-17-2014, 08:19 AM   #58
JonU
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 675
I still need to order the parts lol it is really just the headlight assembly and the front fender that needs replacing. I may try seeing if the original fender will go back on but I think the holes got enlarged when it ripped off. The expensive piece is the helmet. But once I'm going I'm free to ride pretty much every weekend. I just need to find a new helmet I like.

Thinking about it, I could probably just glue the housing back together for a temp fix. It isn't like it was all that great to begin with. Put a new bulb in and call it good.

As for getting around out near red sands; I have a fairly simple box that gives you a ton of riding area. East limit are the mountains, west limit would be 375, north would be Montana, and southern limit is I-10. If you get lost head north south or west and you are going to hit a major road. I had one time were I was a bit confused with where I was (it was dark). I just kept the mountains to my right and el paso to my left. It took a while to get out but I eventually hit Montana.
Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

JonU screwed with this post 07-17-2014 at 08:27 AM
JonU is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 10:35 PM   #59
MrSandman818 OP
INaVANdownBYtheRIVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by westerlywinds View Post
Hi I am interested in riding with people I have a klr 250. It is my first dirt bike in about 25 years. I spent most of my life on BMW road bikes. I am now a retired city bus driver and have an open schedule. I like riding and drinking beer and talking about riding.
Welcome to the group! Looks like we have a lot in common!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonU View Post
I still need to order the parts lol it is really just the headlight assembly and the front fender that needs replacing. I may try seeing if the original fender will go back on but I think the holes got enlarged when it ripped off. The expensive piece is the helmet. But once I'm going I'm free to ride pretty much every weekend. I just need to find a new helmet I like.

Thinking about it, I could probably just glue the housing back together for a temp fix. It isn't like it was all that great to begin with. Put a new bulb in and call it good.

As for getting around out near red sands; I have a fairly simple box that gives you a ton of riding area. East limit are the mountains, west limit would be 375, north would be Montana, and southern limit is I-10. If you get lost head north south or west and you are going to hit a major road. I had one time were I was a bit confused with where I was (it was dark). I just kept the mountains to my right and el paso to my left. It took a while to get out but I eventually hit Montana.
Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
Glad to see your still alive JonU! Just zip tie that shit on and ride. They sell orange ones so no one will know
1978 Batavus 48
Old 07-18-2014, 08:14 AM   #60
ChrisSRT
Adventurer

Talking

zip ties and duct tape will fix alot of things.

I'll be free to ride anytime this weekend after about 1030 Sat. I'm a Geobachlor here, so work is the only distracter.