Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Tejas and the Gulf States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2013, 08:21 AM   #31
bigdave-gs
Explorer

Oddometer: 2,239
Of course all the guys ate so much that they had to have a little nap time before riding.

Mongo might lke fire, but apparently can't read ! ! !

Currently riding a 2004 R1150GS Adv. but a very long list of others over the 30 + + years of riding
bigdave-gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:23 AM   #32
bigdave-gs
Explorer

Another fine finish to a great rally. The sacrificial burning of the Barcalounger ! ! !

Currently riding a 2004 R1150GS Adv. but a very long list of others over the 30 + + years of riding

bigdave-gs screwed with this post 10-29-2013 at 08:31 AM
Old 10-29-2013, 12:57 PM   #33
yardracer
stubborn cow

Oddometer: 983
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRZBRI View Post
I say you just use the pic of the buried Tenere with the rider standing over it. Just replace the rider with a skeleton. That pic will be famous for a while anyway.

I think that would make a great shirt !!!! And a bit of an inside joke.....
Old 10-29-2013, 02:10 PM   #34
TXjames
High Sider

Oddometer: 961
Ghost really hit his stride with RTB4. I dare say it was the best one yet. And that's despite the trials of establishing a new venue. The guy can cook too! Who woulda guessed? The food AND complimentary refreshments were a real treat. Thanks for all the hard work Ghost, family, and friends! It showed.

Likewise, the routes were as good as ever. SOG and Veriest found some incredible roads with our new turf and only the best made the cut. There just wasn't a dull moment. Thanks to you two for putting all the attendees on the good stuff.

And now for the few pics I snapped...

Not a bad final resting spot. Just a bad final ending. Thanks Tim (Bill)...

Mrs. Ghost's grocery-getter. Notice Mr. Ghost is the one getting the groceries.

"RTB cares." Wait! It appears they actually do.

My group and at least one other stop for a Burger Shack breakfast. My cholesterol count will never be the same.

This guy thought the grass was greener on the other side of the fence. I coulda told him it's not.

We stop to inspect the Super 10's rear wheel oiling system. Yup, it's working well.

There's supposed to be a river here

That didn't stop us from making poor choices!

Campfire attendance wasn't bad given all the rain that evening

But who could miss the Burning of the Barcalounger? Bill didn't get to this one first!

Here's half the reason we do the WWP raffle: ShadySmurf. He rode in from Alabama and unbelievably made it home in one day. Even after late night campfire shenanigans. Thanks for showing up Joe!

TXjames screwed with this post 10-29-2013 at 02:24 PM
TXjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 03:54 PM   #35
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 7,833
Great job guys and gals !! lol. I just found the thread. D'uh.
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:25 PM   #36
Kaiser
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
Little video from my gopro footage HERE
Kaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 09:44 PM   #37
veriest1
Grand NOOBlet

Oddometer: 1,863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser View Post
Little video from my gopro footage HERE
That hill had some deep sand. Lots of fun.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk
veriest1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 10:31 AM   #38
kenaroo
I am because i ride

Oddometer: 802
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider1964 View Post
Duct Tape to the rescue!!!

Arkysaw hill

Holy Shit Batman!

Super T recovery vehicle...oops...good thing I got the winch option

I like the new one piece wheels

Super T, good as new

Ohhhh! My ego hurts. so. Much fun playing In the mud...you'd think it was my first time on the dirt...Still road almost 500 miles this weekend. Met some great people.. Ate some of the best BBQ ever.(think I gained weight).Thanks Dody, Larry,Ian and the others for helping to recover my super-t... Super fun weekend even with the mud carnage.

what does your garage look like
http://www.garage-interiors.com

kenaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 10:42 AM   #39
thumpergirl
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90

My Gratitude:

Huge giant THANK YOU to the organizers of this event. I can't even begin to imagine what it takes to pull something of this magnitude together.

The food was amazing (morning and night), the venue was great, the routes were dirty, and the ribs were probably delicious (I'm gonna have to ride back up there to get some of those). Sand class, although I missed it, looked like a hoot and I'll be sure to take an extra day off work next year to have time to play out there. And a keg each night? Wow. What more can I say?

And I gotta say, I think the price was a steal. Excellent prepared meals (PLURAL), desserts, coffee, kegs of beer, bonfires, free sand class at little Utah, miles of routes and tracks. Days of organized fun. $45? Count me in again. I can't get that kind of bargain anywhere around Austin. You set the bar pretty high guys/gals.

I know there were a lot of people that put a ton of hours into this, and we wouldn't be able to have awesome events like this without people like you, willing to graciously give their time and energy for us. I'd name names, but I know I'd miss a bunch of you. You know who you are. If you assisted in any way, that includes you, too. Thank you, thank you, and thank you.

My Ride Report:

744 miles of riding in 3 days, most of it dirt. 79.9mph on the WR250R. It'll go faster, but that was fast enough on knobbies. Love that bike.

Laura and I rode up Friday from Austin. We met early in the morning and started off at a leisurely pace. I made a track that took us on some fun dirt outside of Lampasses to Hamilton. We slabbed it from there to try to make the Rib Run at 2. We rolled in at 1:47, just in time!

We rode behind Cleatus for much of the ride, what a hoot to watch him! I didn’t get any pics of him lifting the sidecar, but man he’s got some skills. He makes that thing move, too.

Loco Coyote

Saturday we headed out with a small group of maybe 7 or 8 riders. Somehow I got designated to lead (I still don’t know how that happened), although I had no idea where I was. I also didn’t have the routes (I have not paid for routable maps on my GPS, I use the free Texas Topo maps because they are awesome, but they are not routable), but I did have the tracks. It gets tricky when the track intersects itself, because without routing, you don’t know which way to go. Lots of zooming and guesswork there. If I’d planned on leading I would have had the turn by turns somewhere accessible. Anyway, it’s supposed to be an adventure, right?

We followed some folks for a bit and ended up at the Burger Shack, which was not at the beginning of the dirty ride. SOG pointed out a place on the map, Little Arkysaw Hill. He said it was steep and very muddy and rutted, and that he wouldn’t go there. He showed me where it was on the map, and it looked like if I didn’t take my second right, we would bypass it. I polled the group. The majority didn’t want to go. Of course there were a few (ULYBRAD, etc… ) that did want to go, but my plan was to go with majority vote. I guess this is supposed to be a democracy or something. I don’t know.

I never turned right. I went straight, the way the map showed. Guess where we ended up? Yup, Little Arkysaw Hill. Best mistake of the day. Too muddy and rutted to turn around, so we forged ahead. We had a couple of spills, including Alexander who broke his clutch lever.

Laura, who had trouble getting a foot down in the ruts, and subsequently getting out of the ruts.

go laura go!

a tired laura!

And last, but certainly not least, as we were finishing up, in came the Tenere. And it stayed there for quite some time. My favorite photo, by far, is 5 guys trying to pull the Tenere out of the mud. You can kind of tell whose bike it is - he's the guy trying the hardest.

no words.

well, damn.

come on back down...

UlyBrad going up up up...

me, with Alexander behind me, trying to fix his broken clutch with the help of several others. At the bottom of the hill, Laura is about to have a few tipovers in the ruts. And a few minutes behind her, and not pictured here, is the Super Tenere, about to make a grand entrance to the scene... oh, the carnage...

After it was decided there was not much we could do help this guy out, short of using my cell phone to call ghost, it was time to head out. Except we were sans veriest1, and somehow my group got very large. I’m guessing 20’ish bikes or so, too many to keep track of.

The group just seemed to keep morphing – more people, less people, different people. Hell, I couldn’t keep track. Not surprisingly, we did end up losing several of them. I stopped at every turn looking for everyone, but I did not get a headcount before we left Arkysaw, so I was operating on some more guesswork. Turns out I’m not so good at guesstimating. I assumed that others were keeping tabs on the person/people behind them. At one stop I noticed we were missing several folks. I went back many miles to find them, all the way to the paved road, but no sign of them. It was a large group and lots of variables involved. Sorry guys, I tried. Live and learn.

When we finally got to the Redneck Grill for lunch, we found ‘em all there, safe and sound. We’d lost them somewhere on a turn that they didn’t see the group make. They'd had to stop for a bit, I think because of Alexanders clutch problem. It was ok, the group was too big anyway, so it forced someone else to lead a smaller group. When we left lunch, we were down to maybe 9 bikes. The ‘lost’ folks decided to keep their own group and head out. They were a good group together.

Pretty darn fun afternoon of riding. After Zach taking a pretty sizeable spill on a rutted road (he was ok, a little damage to the bike), 4 of our riders decided they’d had enough and decided to slab it back to the lodge on hwy 22. 5 of us continued on to finish the dirty raid. A few peeled off at little Utah, and it was myself and GtownT that rode across the finish line. Pretty amusing riding in with 2 of us after riding with so many people all day.

Sunday, got up, rode home on dirt.

Awesome. Friggin. Time.

Old 10-30-2013, 12:08 PM   #40
bigdave-gs
Explorer

Awesome report Thumpergirl ! ! !

Old 10-30-2013, 01:55 PM   #41
yardracer
stubborn cow

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdave-gs View Post
Awesome report Thumpergirl ! ! !
yep yep!!!!!! That girl can write!!!
Old 10-30-2013, 04:08 PM   #42
WoodButcher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,893
Okay, here's my contribution. First, the gallery link. http://woodbutcher.smugmug.com/Motor...3110923_XswCnn

I took a bunch of pictures at Little Moab during the morning class on Friday. I have more than I uploaded so if you see yourself there, let me know and I may have more of you. Also, I'm not going to link all the ones from the gallery here, just some.

2009 BMW R1200GS Adventure
1999 DR650
WoodButcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 04:47 PM   #43
yardracer
stubborn cow

very nice, Rusty!!!
Old 10-30-2013, 06:24 PM   #44
Kaiser
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
Ooh - I found some cool ones of me - thanks man!!
Kaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:40 PM   #45
veriest1
Grand NOOBlet

Oddometer: 1,863
Thanks for the pics Rusty. I've already stolen the ones of me for my FB page.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk
veriest1 is offline   Reply With Quote