ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-27-2013, 08:39 PM   #16
Hondo
What if its a Samsquamch?
 
Hondo's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Denver, Colorado
Oddometer: 8,722
Noted.
__________________
KLRWorld.com Forums - Nighthawk Forums

"Life's an adventure, and I refuse to live a boring one."

Hondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 08:39 PM   #17
TheDudeAbides OP
Sarcasm free11/11/10
 
TheDudeAbides's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Loveland, Colo
Oddometer: 7,793
Ok, let's just get them all out there at once...

__________________
Best dualsport mirrors I've ever owned

2001 BMW F650 GS Dakar (Stolen!)
2004 DRZE
2004 BMW 1150 GSA
TheDudeAbides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 09:07 PM   #18
Foot dragger
singletracker
 
Foot dragger's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: chico,just below rag dump(nor-cal)
Oddometer: 11,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDudeAbides View Post
Some of you guys seem to understand - that jacket would have really tied the room together.
Effing carpet pisser.
__________________
Some bikes around at times
Foot dragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 09:21 PM   #19
TinkerinWstuff
Take it apart
 
TinkerinWstuff's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Colorado Northern Front Range
Oddometer: 1,260
It's pretty simple
break a deal - face the wheel





__________________
1999 Suzuki DR650
1998 Honda VFR800 Interceptor
http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...KJutW9osVpn3hd
TinkerinWstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 09:37 PM   #20
double_entendre
Ticking away the....
 
double_entendre's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Oddometer: 3,543
Had the same thing happen to me with inmate Tbob--search JM for the train wreck.

Good for you calling him out. A man's word is good or it isn't.

If he agreed to the deal, you had a deal. Anything after the fact is just proving he fucked up.
__________________
"I have an offer for $1600 shipped behind you, but I'm not a dick so you're first in line. "
--scibeer
double_entendre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 10:14 PM   #21
Cowboy
Ceteris non Paribus
 
Cowboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Elizabeth, Colorado
Oddometer: 3,141
A deal is a deal. That much I think we can all agree on.

But that's an egregiously fucking simplistic way to view transactions on ADV or any other site like it. The trouble is that identifying the exact point in time when a deal has been reached is far more difficult that it sounds. Every buyer who thinks they reached a "deal" has a different perspective, a perspective that is necessarily colored by a completely one-sided view of the transaction.

Meanwhile a seller is juggling competing discussions and offers and lowballs and trade proposals from multiple potential buyers, and until one of those buyers coughs up the clams, the seller has no way to know which potential buyer might actually complete the transaction, and which ones are just blowing smoke. Sadly, potential buyers who aren't serious are a dime a dozen, and sellers have no way to sort the wheat from the chaff until someone delivers the money.

It has become such a recurring problem that I've lost patience, and I simply won't offer items for sale on ADV or any other forum like it. I'd rather throw shit away or sell it to strangers, because threads like this have become far too common. Until you're juggling the seller's thread responses, his email inbox, his phone messages and PMs, you just don't know what the fuck you're talking about.

But go ahead and pile on some more, because a deal is a deal. .


Meanwhile, twenty other people reading this thread, who might have offered up a deal on ADV will start throwing shit away like I do.
__________________

Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 10:52 PM   #22
TheDudeAbides OP
Sarcasm free11/11/10
 
TheDudeAbides's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Loveland, Colo
Oddometer: 7,793
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy View Post
A deal is a deal. That much I think we can all agree on.

and sellers have no way to sort the wheat from the chaff until someone delivers the money.

.

Ted, maybe it isn't all that simple, but it also isn't all that complicated.

I correspond via PM (with an inmate I've done business with in the past and neither of us had any problem), I get a PM with his final asking price, I agree, ask for his Paypal email address, he sends me the address and I send him the money. DONE. DEAL.

Sometime after he receives my money, he gets a second paypal from a second buyer and he decides he likes that deal better, so he backs out of the deal he already agreed to with me.

That's some Bulllllshit right there.
I've done dozens and dozens of ADV deals ( a couple of them with you), and I've always been treated fair and square. This is a good group of folks in here. People treat each other right. The right thing for Doc to have done would have been to tell the second buyer adios, not the first buyer. I'm pretty sure you can see that.
__________________
Best dualsport mirrors I've ever owned

2001 BMW F650 GS Dakar (Stolen!)
2004 DRZE
2004 BMW 1150 GSA
TheDudeAbides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 10:58 PM   #23
Cowboy
Ceteris non Paribus
 
Cowboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Elizabeth, Colorado
Oddometer: 3,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDudeAbides View Post
The right thing for Doc to have done would have been to tell the second buyer adios, not the first buyer. I'm pretty sure you can see that.
I'm pretty sure I have no idea how to identify who is the first or second buyer. Until I'm juggling the seller's thread responses, his email inbox, his phone messages and PMs, I just don't know what the fuck I'm talking about. I'm not going to pretend that I do.

I do know that I'm going to keep throwing stuff away rather than sell it here, though.
__________________

Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 11:05 PM   #24
TheDudeAbides OP
Sarcasm free11/11/10
 
TheDudeAbides's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Loveland, Colo
Oddometer: 7,793
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy View Post
I'm pretty sure I have no idea how to identify who is the first or second buyer. Until I'm juggling the seller's thread responses, his email inbox, his phone messages and PMs, I just don't know what the fuck I'm talking about. I'm not going to pretend that I do.

I can help you: The seller has admitted to me via email that he did make a deal with me first, he did receive my money first and he did decide to go with the 2nd offer after first agreeing to deal with me and after receiving my money.

The only 'mistake' he really apologized for was not waiting a couple of days for all the offers to come in before he accepted the deal with me. He basically agreed too soon (in his opinion) and should have waited, and then instead of manning up and living with the (more than fair) deal he cut with me, he backed out of it when a better offer came in. The only reason he is now "trying to make it right" with me is because he knows he did wrong.

That's not the kind of guy most of us would like to deal with, so I started a thread warning people about who they might be dealing with. If you don't plan on dealing with him anyway, then just move on. There's nothing to see here.
__________________
Best dualsport mirrors I've ever owned

2001 BMW F650 GS Dakar (Stolen!)
2004 DRZE
2004 BMW 1150 GSA
TheDudeAbides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 11:24 PM   #25
HAYVIATOR
Don't be me dude.
 
HAYVIATOR's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Location: Skagitopia, WA
Oddometer: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy View Post
I'm pretty sure I have no idea how to identify who is the first or second buyer. Until I'm juggling the seller's thread responses, his email inbox, his phone messages and PMs, I just don't know what the fuck I'm talking about. I'm not going to pretend that I do.

I do know that I'm going to keep throwing stuff away rather than sell it here, though.
Are you a Federal employee? You seem unnecessarily confused by simple activities and all too quick to throw out the baby with the bath water. Don't be such a drama queen.

I've bought /sold several items using ADV classifieds in my relatively short time here and with the exception of being shorted a few bucks by one soCal dumfuk that was too dense to understand Paypal gift (my bad for trusting and shipping prior to full payment), the transactions have been smooth and far better than eBay. We've got a great community here and large transactions don't make me nervous as with eBay due to the overall character of most of the players.

But just let me know when you're throwing away your Klim gear, S10 or GPS...
HAYVIATOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 11:31 PM   #26
pizzaboy
retiring tomorrow
 
pizzaboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Aledo, Texas
Oddometer: 725
I had multiple successful transactions on this site. Dude your right, he's a schmuck. Let it go..

__________________
Indecision always goes to the left...

'09 BMW R1200GSA
'09 KTM 950SER Erz
pizzaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 11:48 PM   #27
Cowboy
Ceteris non Paribus
 
Cowboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Elizabeth, Colorado
Oddometer: 3,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAYVIATOR View Post
Are you a Federal employee? You seem unnecessarily confused by simple activities and all too quick to throw out the baby with the bath water. Don't be such a drama queen.
I'm not unnecessarily confused by simple activities. I know that what some people perceive as simple straightforward stories are almost never as simple as their perspective makes the stories appear.

I'm a lawyer. And I can't count how many times someone sat across my desk and told me a simple story, and expressed righteous indignation that they were treated so badly. It's easy to jump on that bandwagon, but I've been at it long enough to know better. There's always another side to the story, and those clients sitting across my desk almost never understood the whole story, which wasn't so worthy of righteous indignation when the full truth was known. It's also interesting how often a simple story changes under cross examination.

I've come to recognize that every story comes from a perspective, and a limited perspective almost always has a blind side. I get paid to predict the blind side and be ready for it, so I've come to roll my eyes when I hear a simple story, especially when it comes accompanied by righteous indignation.
__________________

Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 11:50 PM   #28
grizzzly
The Pre-Banned Version
 
grizzzly's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: socorro NM 505-five five zero-2583
Oddometer: 3,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDudeAbides View Post
I can help you: The seller has admitted to me via email that he did make a deal with me first, he did receive my money first and he did decide to go with the 2nd offer after first agreeing to deal with me and after receiving my money.

The only 'mistake' he really apologized for was not waiting a couple of days for all the offers to come in before he accepted the deal with me. He basically agreed too soon (in his opinion) and should have waited, and then instead of manning up and living with the (more than fair) deal he cut with me, he backed out of it when a better offer came in. The only reason he is now "trying to make it right" with me is because he knows he did wrong.

That's not the kind of guy most of us would like to deal with, so I started a thread warning people about who they might be dealing with. If you don't plan on dealing with him anyway, then just move on. There's nothing to see here.

you sure are making a lot of assumptions

now i am going to make one, you SUCK!!!
__________________
you actually expect people to take responsibility for their actions in today's society?!

grizzzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 12:07 AM   #29
Duck_Pilot
Retired Roadracer
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Denver 'Burbs, Colorado, USA.
Oddometer: 4,847
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy View Post
I'm not unnecessarily confused by simple activities. I know that what some people perceive as simple straightforward stories are almost never as simple as their perspective makes the stories appear.

I'm a lawyer. And I can't count how many times someone sat across my desk and told me a simple story, and expressed righteous indignation that they were treated so badly. It's easy to jump on that bandwagon, but I've been at it long enough to know better. There's always another side to the story, and those clients sitting across my desk almost never understood the whole story, which wasn't so worthy of righteous indignation when the full truth was known. It's also interesting how often a simple story changes under cross examination.

I've come to recognize that every story comes from a perspective, and a limited perspective almost always has a blind side. I get paid to predict the blind side and be ready for it, so I've come to roll my eyes when I hear a simple story, especially when it comes accompanied by righteous indignation.
Bingo.

I have no knowledge of what happened here, don't care to know. One person gets upset over a lost sale, but gets his money back. Another person makes a poor decision, and gets called-out publically for it. Perhaps I should not trust either of these two people.

Lesson learned, perhaps time to grow up and let this go now?
__________________
" A man that can have patience, can have what he will." - Benjamin Franklin

"Man cannot imagine how life could be more difficult or complex. But Congress can." - Cullen Hightower

Honestly, I *do* like Socialists. They just need a little tartar sauce.
Duck_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 12:14 AM   #30
HAYVIATOR
Don't be me dude.
 
HAYVIATOR's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Location: Skagitopia, WA
Oddometer: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy View Post
I'm pretty sure I have no idea how to identify who is the first or second buyer. Until I'm juggling the seller's thread responses, his email inbox, his phone messages and PMs, I just don't know what the fuck I'm talking about. I'm not going to pretend that I do.
Well esquire, you can hen-peck "righteous indignation" as many times as you like, but let me help you out with identifying who the first buyer is:

1. First person that PMs you an offer you accept.
2. First person to whom you provide payment address following said agreement/acceptance.

Seems pretty simple to the unwashed masses, but a payment address provided to a second potential buyer prior to a reasonable waiting period (assuming first buyer flakes) would seem to confirm the seller to be a flake himself.

I was admittedly too lazy to power through law school, but I'm not struggling with how to determine who the "first" buyer should be. Educate me if I'm in error.
HAYVIATOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014