ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2013, 12:21 AM   #31
HAYVIATOR
Don't be me dude.

Oddometer: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck_Pilot View Post
Bingo.

I have no knowledge of what happened here, don't care to know. One person gets upset over a lost sale, but gets his money back. Another person makes a poor decision, and gets called-out publically for it.
"No harm, no foul" is certainly fortunate, but calling an offender out publicly is not only an effective behavior modifier lost in our society, but more importantly, a good reason ADV classifieds are the trusted marketplace that they are. Policing our own works pretty well, it would appear.
HAYVIATOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 04:33 AM   #32
Hair
Outside the boxer

Oddometer: 13,535
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDudeAbides View Post
F- it, let's go bowling.

Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 04:42 AM   #33
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,364
Without knowing the parties involved, it's probably not a great idea to swoop in on a Rockies discussion and take sides.
Fairly tight knit community where for the most part we all know and trust each other - it's a dynamic totally lost when you haven't spent time with the people and know what to expect of them.

You read something and react to it, but you don't know anything about the people you're "talking to". I think Ben and Ted are on the same page, but maybe Ted cringed a bit at seeing it aired out in public this way.
I'm on Ben's side too... and I cringed a little when I saw his reaction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAYVIATOR View Post
Are you a Federal employee? You seem unnecessarily confused by simple activities and all too quick to throw out the baby with the bath water. Don't be such a drama queen.

I've bought /sold several items using ADV classifieds in my relatively short time here and with the exception of being shorted a few bucks by one soCal dumfuk that was too dense to understand Paypal gift (my bad for trusting and shipping prior to full payment), the transactions have been smooth and far better than eBay. We've got a great community here and large transactions don't make me nervous as with eBay due to the overall character of most of the players.

But just let me know when you're throwing away your Klim gear, S10 or GPS...
Quote:
Well esquire, you can hen-peck "righteous indignation" as many times as you like, but let me help you out with identifying who the first buyer is:

1. First person that PMs you an offer you accept.
2. First person to whom you provide payment address following said agreement/acceptance.

Seems pretty simple to the unwashed masses, but a payment address provided to a second potential buyer prior to a reasonable waiting period (assuming first buyer flakes) would seem to confirm the seller to be a flake himself.

I was admittedly too lazy to power through law school, but I'm not struggling with how to determine who the "first" buyer should be. Educate me if I'm in error.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 06:30 AM   #34
CaptRick
On dry land 4 now.....

Oddometer: 4,600
Dam is it winter already???
Cant we all just get along?????

Growing older every day but never growing up.
CaptRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 06:44 AM   #35
StmbtDave
AKA Invisible Dave

Oddometer: 2,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy View Post
...It has become such a recurring problem that I've lost patience, and I simply won't offer items for sale on ADV or any other forum like it. I'd rather throw shit away or sell it to strangers, because threads like this have become far too common...
That's pretty much where I am too. The wife keeps saying I should get rid of stuff that I don't use. I tell her that I don't want to go thru the hassle of selling it and it's too good to throw away.

Dave
Old 10-28-2013, 06:49 AM   #36
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,784
Quote:
Well esquire, you can hen-peck "righteous indignation" as many times as you like, but let me help you out with identifying who the first buyer is:

1. First person that PMs you an offer you accept.
2. First person to whom you provide payment address following said agreement/acceptance.

Seems pretty simple to the unwashed masses, but a payment address provided to a second potential buyer prior to a reasonable waiting period (assuming first buyer flakes) would seem to confirm the seller to be a flake himself.

I was admittedly too lazy to power through law school, but I'm not struggling with how to determine who the "first" buyer should be. Educate me if I'm in error.
I also took the time to read.

It wasnt complicated,bit of a soap opera but the seller said he took the money from the first payer,then sent the $ back and sold item to the second payer for more money.

Ive sold and bought many things on ADV in 6 years with no problems or bad feelings of any sort. People have shipped quick and most items have been in new condition for a great price.

That jacket would have indeed tied the room together.

Commenting on these sorts of threads with out reading them first doesnt work.
Old 10-28-2013, 06:58 AM   #37
Wlfman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDudeAbides View Post
I find it decidedly dishonest to negotiate with a man, accept his offer, take his money (all the while negotiating with a different man for a different price), then after the money from the first guy arrives, to change your mind and go with the second guy after all.

Doc told me in his "apology" email that my money did indeed arrive first. I sent it to him the second he and I agreed to a price and to me picking up the cost of shipping. That means (according to his own words) that after we agreed and after my money arrived, he was still negotiating with another guy and took that guy's money as well, then went with the highest bidder. Maybe that seems honest to you. To me it is the very definition of dishonest. The honest thing to do would to have been to tell the 2nd guy "I'm sorry, there was another guy in line ahead of you that I struck a deal with and we agreed on a price and he already sent me the money. I'd like to do business with you, but I'm a man of my word and I've already made my deal and I'm refunding your paypal account." But no, instead, he lets it be known that his integrity is for sale to the highest bidder, his word means nothing and instead of refunding the other guy's money, he does business with him and refunds my money even though we had a deal and I got in first. It's a shitty way to do business. If you want to deal with him, be my guest.

Also, his "apology" letter consisted of him saying "I hope you understand, it was an honest mistake". That is not an apology, that is a twisted rationalization.

The he gives me a vague "what can I do to make it right?" email.

Well, for starters you can get me a BMW Rallye 3 jacket in my size for the price we agreed to and in the condition we agreed to.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerg View Post
You're right, he's a tool... simple as that. You've said your piece, time to move on. NOTHING YOU can do to change anything and it's doubtful HE is going to make anything right except his pocketbook.

A man is only as good as his word. Obviously yours isn't worth a shit...

Gerg
100% true

Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the people who are doing it."
"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and JUST BE HAPPY."
Wlfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 07:18 AM   #38
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 7,069
Seems pretty straight forward to me: Once the price is agreed upon and the vendor sends out his payment info the deal is sealed. The only modifier is if payment is not received in a timely manner.
Old 10-28-2013, 07:26 AM   #39
soewe812
Wag more Bark less

Oddometer: 998
Wanna auction your shit take it to fleabay.
soewe812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 07:29 AM   #40
_CJ
Retrogrouch

Oddometer: 1,418
hmmmm, I had a washer/dryer for sale here on ADV and reached an agreement with an inmate. The night before they were supposed to pick them up somebody contacted me offering double, and backing out of the first deal never even occurred to me!
MTB since 1991, Full-Rigid Steel 1x8
_CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 07:34 AM   #41
Gezerbike
Hey Rocky...........

Oddometer: 3,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post
Without knowing the parties involved, it's probably not a great idea to swoop in on a Rockies discussion and take sides.
Had this been posted in the Rockies FM section, I might agree a little with your comments. But it was posted in the general FM. I'm from Illinois and had enough interest to travel 50 miles one way to try one on before making an offer. I read the regional forums of places I have visited, or plan to, that's how I saw this.

As to selling here, while it is not the same place, or some of the people here now might not have the same sense of community that existed years ago, it still can be OK. I just sold my GS on here and tons of farkles without a hitch. I sent off one parts before I got guys' check and offered to send back someones money who said he might have a problem getting to pick up his part without the USPS tracking #, which I did not save. To his honesty, he has not asked for his money back. If selling something here is about making money, this is probably not the right forum for you, as some have come to find out.

The Dude has been around here a long time and is playing by the rules in not posting up PM's, but quoting them. There is not doubt, in my mind, that he got a bad deal and he is within his rights in airing it. As for Ted, well, he's probably a good guy who might have made a mistake. But there isn't any amount of money that's worth getting my name, as a sellar, in a public discussion like this. Too bad for both guys.

Mike

2012 R 1200 GS RALLYE 1997 Suzuki DR 350 SE
Gezerbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 07:41 AM   #42
ZEmann
want to be riding

Oddometer: 637
Quote:
Originally Posted by _CJ View Post
hmmmm, I had a washer/dryer for sale here on ADV and reached an agreement with an inmate. The night before they were supposed to pick them up somebody contacted me offering double, and backing out of the first deal never even occurred to me!
Quote:
I get an email from him saying basically "I got your money, but then the day after I got your money another inmate made me a better offer and I'm selling it to him instead
thank you CJ
thats how I role also the shits not mine anymore after I make a deal
even if it's in my possession
ZEmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 07:46 AM   #43
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Pig View Post
Seems pretty straight forward to me: Once the price is agreed upon and the vendor sends out his payment info the deal is sealed. The only modifier is if payment is not received in a timely manner.
+1

Suggestion, don't give a buyer paypal info unless you consider them as the purchaser and don't give it out to any other buyers until the first buyer has;
A. backed out
B. not sent the $$ in a timely manner, at that point notify them that you're selling to another buyer.

If this is about getting extra $$ and I don't know that it is that's not cool and most of us don't operate like that.

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but to rather skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ... Holy Shit, what a ride!"
Canyonlands Adventure Ride 2013 / 700 Miles of Scenic Utah Backcountry / VIDEOS
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 07:53 AM   #44
pow_rider17
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Note to mods: Maybe have a buyer/seller feedback thread.

I know there isn't a defined 'classified' section here but people do buy and sell things. On a VW forum I frequent and buy/sell through, most of us perform transactions knowing that we all have one of these and we all have access to each others'.:

(http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/vie...ghlight=wooten)

And it is really poor form to provide payment info to 2 people for the same item. I go with the first to contact and start a line after that.

pow_rider17 screwed with this post 10-28-2013 at 08:07 AM
pow_rider17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 07:56 AM   #45
grizzzly
The Pre-Banned Version

Oddometer: 3,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by docwyte View Post
I've apologized profusely to Ben. I got paid by Ben and another inmate basically at the same time. I refunded Ben's money the same day I got it.

I've asked Ben how I can help get him another coat and I'm waiting to hear his reply.
this is why i think Dude is being an ass.

grizzzly is offline   Reply With Quote