ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2013, 09:05 AM   #46
TheDudeAbides OP
Sarcasm free11/11/10

Oddometer: 7,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzzly View Post
this is why i think Dude is being an ass.

I sent my paypal the minute we'd agreed on price and shipping and he gave me his paypal email and he asked for my physical address so he could mail me the goods. If in fact he did get another Paypal at "basically the same time", that means he must have been agreeing to another price and shipping with another inmate at basically the same time and gave that guy his paypal info as well. That makes him an ass.

Either way, he did admit to me that my money arrived first and that the other money came through "later". There is no 'basically the same time'. There's first place and second place and he admitted that I was first but he decided to go with second. That's his choice. My choice was to start a thread pointing it out.

I've done dozens of deals on ADV. Maybe even 100 by now. And I've never had an issue. You agree on a price, money is sent and the goods get mailed or picked up. When someone deviates from that, I believe a 'heads up' is in order.

2001 BMW F650 GS Dakar (Stolen!)
2004 DRZE
2004 BMW 1150 GSA
TheDudeAbides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:05 AM   #47
Osprey!
a.k.a. Opie

Oddometer: 3,964
Since it's supposed to snow tonight, I'll chime in with my nickel.

The Duderino has craptastic taste in motorcycle jackets, but this discussion itself has merit. Calling people out on bad behavior serves a purpose in self regulating our community. It's a warning for others.

For the most part, the seller hasn't disputed Ben's account. He's accordingly been tarred, feathered, and put on display in the town square. Good.

I've only had good transactions on ADV, but I wouldn't conduct long distance, higher dollar digital business with an inmate who hadn't been part of the community for a long time.

Reputation matters. Trust take a long time to build and it's easily destroyed. It's certainly not worth a couple of bucks. Think twice before you engage in shady business. If you fuck up, own your mistake and make it right. It's that simple.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:13 AM   #48
TinkerinWstuff
Take it apart

Oddometer: 1,292
My daddy said a deals a deal and the only thing people can't take from you is the quality of your character and the value of your word.

It's that simple for me and the rest of this is over complicated dribble
TinkerinWstuff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:24 AM   #49
Graniteone
3,2,1...Beer me!

Oddometer: 419
A deal is a deal!
Graniteone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:25 AM   #50
TheDudeAbides OP
Sarcasm free11/11/10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey! View Post
Since it's supposed to snow tonight, I'll chime in with my nickel.

The Duderino has craptastic taste in motorcycle jackets, but this discussion itself has merit.

Speak for yourself. I for one look fantastic in whale-foreskin pretentious BMW douchery.
It's what all the guys at Starbucks are wearing these days.

2004 DRZE
2004 BMW 1150 GSA
Old 10-28-2013, 09:58 AM   #51
TheDudeAbides OP
Sarcasm free11/11/10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey! View Post
For the most part, the seller hasn't disputed Ben's account. He's accordingly been tarred, feathered, and put on display in the town square. Good.

On a more serious note:
I'm not sure that I wanted Doc to be 'tarred, feathered, and put on display'. In fact I'm not sure what I wanted. I felt like I got screwed over in a manner that could have easily been avoided. I made this deal with him last week, then I took off for Moab. I fully expected to see a package at my front door when I got home. Instead I got an email that in my opinion said "Oh well, mistakes happen and this was just a mistake, so deal with it".
That made me more angry than the botched deal did. So I started a thread to warn other people.

Since then, Doc has contacted me and made offers to make amends and that's all I can ask of a guy. So, sorry if I turned this into a dog pile. Doc is an inmate here just like the rest of us and I'm hoping to forgive and forget and move on. Lessons learned all around.

2004 DRZE
2004 BMW 1150 GSA
Old 10-28-2013, 10:00 AM   #52
atokad
wan⋅der⋅lust

Oddometer: 2,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy View Post
A deal is a deal. That much I think we can all agree on.

But that's an egregiously fucking simplistic way to view transactions on ADV or any other site like it. The trouble is that identifying the exact point in time when a deal has been reached is far more difficult that it sounds. Every buyer who thinks they reached a "deal" has a different perspective, a perspective that is necessarily colored by a completely one-sided view of the transaction.

Meanwhile a seller is juggling competing discussions and offers and lowballs and trade proposals from multiple potential buyers, and until one of those buyers coughs up the clams, the seller has no way to know which potential buyer might actually complete the transaction, and which ones are just blowing smoke. Sadly, potential buyers who aren't serious are a dime a dozen, and sellers have no way to sort the wheat from the chaff until someone delivers the money.

It has become such a recurring problem that I've lost patience, and I simply won't offer items for sale on ADV or any other forum like it. I'd rather throw shit away or sell it to strangers, because threads like this have become far too common. Until you're juggling the seller's thread responses, his email inbox, his phone messages and PMs, you just don't know what the fuck you're talking about.

But go ahead and pile on some more, because a deal is a deal. .

Meanwhile, twenty other people reading this thread, who might have offered up a deal on ADV will start throwing shit away like I do.
Hey! Since we are not strangers anymore, would you please call me before you throw any of your valuable shit away? I don't need to know about the shit in the barn that doesn't have 2 or 3 or 4 wheels though.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:03 AM   #53
Osprey!
a.k.a. Opie

Oddometer: 3,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDudeAbides View Post
Speak for yourself. I for one look fantastic in whale-foreskin pretentious BMW douchery.
It's what all the guys at Starbucks are wearing these days.
Some dealer is liquidating those ugly jackets with a 20% off sale on Amazon right now. Free shipping, no taxes, and no stink from the previous owner. Unfortunately they don't have them in hot pink to match your 'vette, Ben.

While we're on the topic of naming and shaming, check out this device. It was on display next to the stockade in Bermuda - a place where public shaming is still practiced as punishment.

Old 10-28-2013, 10:11 AM   #54
ZEmann
want to be riding

Oddometer: 640
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDudeAbides View Post

Since then, Doc has contacted me and made offers to make amends and that's all I can ask of a guy. So, sorry if I turned this into a dog pile. Doc is an inmate here just like the rest of us and I'm hoping to forgive and forget and move on. Lessons learned all around.
sounds like it's run it's course but it was a course that needed to be run
ZEmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 10:16 AM   #55
modette
RMAR

Oddometer: 4,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by neepuk View Post
It kind of reminds me of a craigslist deal I got the shaft on one time. The seller and I had agreed on a price for a truck and a time for me to come get it at his house. I showed up at his house, 3 hours away from my house, and he had sold the truck out from under me while I was driving there.
Yep you almost have to expect that from Craigslist people
*shake my head*
I hear about those stories of craigslist people, you make a deal its a deal, at least like in your example if you have another buyer there call you as they knew you were driving and let you know...actually he could of used it to maybe get a few bucks more from you. Still not cool to do...

Yep when I sold the Super Motard Rim setup from my XR650R I got maybe 5-8 emails. I took them one at a time and told the others I'm working down the list. I did not do negotiations with multiple people. First come first serve in who I dealt with. I had a few tire kicker questions, one where the guy did not have the money but needed time...so I continued down the list moving that dude to the bottom.

Doing it my way you don't get caught is hurting anyone's feelings
modette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 10:33 AM   #56
docwyte
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,028
Ben and I have been chatting this morning and I believe that things are resolved.

I got a bit jammed up with Ben and another inmate. I should've asked Ben for some more time, Ben did send in payment first. The other fellow had contacted me first, there was my dilemma. I refunded Ben the same day I received payment from him.

It got messy, I apologized profusely and did what I could to make it right.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:50 AM   #57
TheDudeAbides OP
Sarcasm free11/11/10

Josh and I have been in touch and apologies have been made and accepted and concessions have been made and I appreciate Josh doubling back and trying to make it right with me.

We're all good now. I've edited my first post and the thread title and you all can go back to arguing about which synthetic oil to use if you're going to ride the WRT counter clockwise.

2004 DRZE
2004 BMW 1150 GSA
Old 10-28-2013, 10:52 AM   #58
Gezerbike
Hey Rocky...........

Oddometer: 3,489

Mike

2012 R 1200 GS RALLYE
Gezerbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 11:22 AM   #59
Hondo
What if its a Samsquamch?

Oddometer: 9,387
OK Ben, now that this is squared away you should organize a bowling event - help us deal with the crappy weather this week-

"Life's an adventure, and I refuse to live a boring one."

Hondo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 11:25 AM   #60
TheDudeAbides OP
Sarcasm free11/11/10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondo View Post
OK Ben, now that this is squared away you should organize a bowling event - help us deal with the crappy weather this week-

Ok as long as it's not Saturday. I don't roll on Shomer Shabbos

2004 DRZE
2004 BMW 1150 GSA