ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2014, 07:32 PM   #1
jnclem OP
True Airhead

Oddometer: 330
Baggs to Rawlins Avoiding I-80

Is it possible, or maybe I should say reasonable given the nuts that inhabit this site, :) to go from Baggs to Rawlins without going up to the interstate? I'm looking at the Gazetteer, but can't really tell what's what.

I noticed a highway coming south out of Rawlins, 71, but can't see that it connects to a good road to the west.

Also, north of Baggs on 789 is a bump in the road called Dad on my map. There is a numbered BLM road, 3305, that goes northeast from there that may connect to 71 just south of Rawlins. It becomes Twenty Mile Road at some point.

My question is, should I even be thinking about trying those roads in the first week of June, loaded, R100 GS. I'm fine on gravel, fairly solid two tracks etc. not on deep sand, or clay mud.
jnclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 09:14 PM   #2
Cowboy
Ceteris non Paribus

Oddometer: 3,244
I once rode from Rawlins, south on Sage Creek/71, turned west onto McCarty Canyon Road, and wound up on a two-track that dropped me onto the highway near Dad. I recall that the route was mostly graded road, with some distance on what was (at that time of year) a very good two-track. I was on an R100GS on that ride, and it would have been late summer, as I was headed to WestFest in Darby that year. I have little doubt that you could get through on that route now as well, as it is all low country. The only question in my mind might be whether there is mud this time of year, but I suspect the snow is all melted, if it collects along that route at all.

I'm sorry, but I don't recall any number on that two-track section that might help you find your turn onto it. I suspect spending some time with Google Earth would probably reveal the route that connects with McCarty Canyon Road. (maybe more than one) It may well be 3305 that you mentioned.

On Google maps, it looks like McCarty Canyon Road continues south to Highway 70. I've never ridden that route, but I suspect it would be clear. While there is forest along that route, it is not particularly high, so the snow has probably melted off by now.

The other option, of course, is to ride Highway 70 east from Baggs, to Encampment, then north through Saratoga and then west to Rawlins. (that route would require about twelve miles of I-80) That stretch of Highway 70 from Baggs to Encampment is great stuff . . . sadly, still closed now. They usually try to get it open by Memorial Day.

Another possibility is to take Highway 70 from Baggs east to Forest Road 801, which will take you north through Aspen Alley and then on into Saratoga.

Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 05:11 AM   #3
jnclem OP
True Airhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy View Post
I once rode from Rawlins, south on Sage Creek/71, turned west onto McCarty Canyon Road, and wound up on a two-track that dropped me onto the highway near Dad. I recall that the route was mostly graded road, with some distance on what was (at that time of year) a very good two-track. I was on an R100GS on that ride, and it would have been late summer, as I was headed to WestFest in Darby that year. I have little doubt that you could get through on that route now as well, as it is all low country. The only question in my mind might be whether there is mud this time of year, but I suspect the snow is all melted, if it collects along that route at all.

I'm sorry, but I don't recall any number on that two-track section that might help you find your turn onto it. I suspect spending some time with Google Earth would probably reveal the route that connects with McCarty Canyon Road. (maybe more than one) It may well be 3305 that you mentioned.

On Google maps, it looks like McCarty Canyon Road continues south to Highway 70. I've never ridden that route, but I suspect it would be clear. While there is forest along that route, it is not particularly high, so the snow has probably melted off by now.

The other option, of course, is to ride Highway 70 east from Baggs, to Encampment, then north through Saratoga and then west to Rawlins. (that route would require about twelve miles of I-80) That stretch of Highway 70 from Baggs to Encampment is great stuff . . . sadly, still closed now. They usually try to get it open by Memorial Day.

Another possibility is to take Highway 70 from Baggs east to Forest Road 801, which will take you north through Aspen Alley and then on into Saratoga.
Yes, I can see the route you describe on this map, so my next stop was Google earth. I just wasn't sure if any of it might be open yet, but it being lower elevation was my hope too. I think I'll research it a bit more.

My original reason for taking this route at all was to go over 70, but they aren't even going to start working on opening that road until June 2nd, which is the day I'll be going through.

Thanks. This helps. I may just lay it out, ask some locals when I get to Baggs, and if it feels right try it. Otherwise, I-80 will still be there. It's just boring.
Old 05-22-2014, 07:38 AM   #4
ALinUTAH
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 607
I'm surprised battle pass is opening so late. I rode that last year about the first week of June I think and even camped up there.
ALinUTAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 09:29 AM   #5
nwcolorider
NWCOLO

Oddometer: 2,377
This is Battle pass last weekend. Still at +120% snowpack.

nwcolorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 09:39 AM   #6
jnclem OP
True Airhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcolorider View Post
This is Battle pass last weekend. Still at +120% snowpack.

I was told they are still working on 130, and won't start 70 until that's done. I fully understand, as we are in the same situation around here. That's why I'm looking lower to see if anything out there is open.
Old 06-01-2014, 07:23 AM   #7
KTM Mike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
Here is a handy link to Wyoming road status info:

http://map.wyoroad.info/hi.html

It shows that 70 is still closed as of 6/1/14.

Any local input on this status?

I'm hoping to be able to ride Aspen Alley, and maybe down towards Columbine (on the CDR) sometime between 6/19 and 6/24 - any chance of that area being rideable then? Timing of our trip was based on other factors - we may be able to delay a bit, but would prefer to keep it as originally planned.

Northern Michigan home on 40 wooded acres for sale. Located on MCCT, ride direct to over 200 miles of ORV trails. 4 miles of trails on the property. PM me for more info
KTM Mike is offline   Reply With Quote