ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2014, 09:04 PM   #1516
dzrtracin
ride'n 2 live

Oddometer: 2,544

RIDE ON!
Old 02-18-2014, 09:12 PM   #1517
isaac004
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 682
Alright, I added a new ride to the Ride Page:
Darwin/Dunes/Salt Tram Loop

I believe this to be a strong intermediate ride, but for those here who have ridden this loop before (and have led rides in the past) please confirm if you agree or think this is more expert. I have only ridden this loop once and did not ride the White Mtn Talc road, so to me the hardest part was Swansea Grade Road.

Preview:

isaac004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 09:13 PM   #1518
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 15,896
what a cutie. shawn, the noobs need a mascot......

FOLKS.....the list look solid. only a few bailed out before the 15th. and now, there's NO REFUND....sorry.

we need more group ride leaders for the noobs and intermediate riders. anyone? i hear rider914 is knocking on my door.....
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 10:08 PM   #1519
bigtodd
Hi, wanna ride?

Oddometer: 1,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaac004 View Post
Alright, I added a new ride to the Ride Page:
Darwin/Dunes/Salt Tram Loop

I believe this to be a strong intermediate ride, but for those here who have ridden this loop before (and have led rides in the past) please confirm if you agree or think this is more expert. I have only ridden this loop once and did not ride the White Mtn Talc road, so to me the hardest part was Swansea Grade Road.
Yo Isaac, rode sweep one ride last year; PSR to Darwin via the canyon and we had a few noobs bale to the pavement at Darwin and on to Olancha Dunes. The canyon road can be rutted and rocky with a sandy rocky wash at the bottom. I picked up lots of bikes that morning. There are a couple of great tracks to the dunes from Darwin. Some sections are pretty deep sand.

The ride to Cerro Gordo is just a road from the Olancha side but the track up to the Salt Trams is no joke. Last year we broke up into two groups, all small/mid size bikes ... group two had to turn around. It is an awesome view up there though.

Keep the group small and be sure all riders are capable of supporting each other. Don't mean to scare anyone off but would suggest saying no to any noobs on bigger bikes.

SPOT - bigtodd - where I at now?
bigtodd.whereamiriding.com
bigtodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 10:16 PM   #1520
isaac004
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtodd View Post
Yo Isaac, rode sweep one ride last year; PSR to Darwin via the canyon and we had a few noobs bale to the pavement at Darwin and on to Olancha Dunes. The canyon road can be rutted and rocky with a sandy rocky wash at the bottom. I picked up lots of bikes that morning. There are a couple of great tracks to the dunes from Darwin. Some sections are pretty deep sand.

The ride to Cerro Gordo is just a road from the Olancha side but the track up to the Salt Trams is no joke. Last year we broke up into two groups, all small/mid size bikes ... group two had to turn around. It is an awesome view up there though.

Keep the group small and be sure all riders are capable of supporting each other. Don't mean to scare anyone off but would suggest saying no to any noobs on bigger bikes.
Thanks Todd, that is kind of what I expected. I did disclaim that very fact in the ride description, those bringing big bikes should be very comfortable with riding them through the sand and rough stuff.
Old 02-19-2014, 12:11 AM   #1521
TDsurf
Orange Flyer

Oddometer: 74
Looking for company for the ride up

I'm heading up on Thursday morning from West L.A. and was wondering if anyone wanted to ride up together? Might be nice to have a couple of meet up spots around Southern Cal, different times, different areas.
If there's any interest I can put one together for L.A and the San Fernando Valley.
TDsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 05:58 AM   #1522
dzrtracin
ride'n 2 live

Oddometer: 2,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDsurf View Post
I'm heading up on Thursday morning from West L.A. and was wondering if anyone wanted to ride up together? Might be nice to have a couple of meet up spots around Southern Cal, different times, different areas.
If there's any interest I can put one together for L.A and the San Fernando Valley.
Not sure if can leave thursday, but working on it. A great way into death valley, via the road out of trona, (the back way) over to goler wash, mengal pass to westside road, then up to furnace creek & slab over to panamint springs.

RIDE ON!
Old 02-19-2014, 07:22 AM   #1523
TwoWheelsGood
Four Wheels Bad

Oddometer: 770
Quote:
Thanks Todd, that is kind of what I expected. I did disclaim that very fact in the ride description, those bringing big bikes should be very comfortable with riding them through the sand and rough stuff.
Isaac, great ride I'm signed up! But I'll only do it if I'm able to bring the 570 up to DV. I don't have enough dirt miles on the 990 yet to have confidence that I wouldn't be a liability No problems on the 570 . I'll have the range, can radio up myself and one other to improve comms in the group, etc.
TwoWheelsGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 09:24 AM   #1524
headstaller
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 260
If you decided to take the 15 onto 395, I am sure there are folks would like to meet at McD at 15/138 for the ride up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDsurf View Post
headstaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 11:58 AM   #1525
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 15,896
those riding in through mojave, i have a nice easy dirt roads for you on your way to PSR.

post up and if there's enough interest, i could do a google earth view of the route, then post it here. likewise, i can create a gps route. you or someone else can convert it to a track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by headstaller View Post
If you decided to take the 15 onto 395, I am sure there are folks would like to meet at McD at 15/138 for the ride up.
that's a good meetup point for those coming from the east.

those from the west, the McDs in mojave is also a good one. farther south, there's sand canyon and the 14 @ one of the gas stations. better yet, just nearby...at shawn's house...haha.
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 12:02 PM   #1526
dravnx
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
missing from list

I am missing from the list in post #2 but I am on the IN list in post #4. #200 Jeff Dravnx and have paid my fee. In addition, please set me and #195 Notsofar Patrick up on campsite #29. Thanx.
dravnx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 12:02 PM   #1527
heirhead
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 437
ride

Quote:
Hello,

Just signed up for your ride. Got room for 1 more? Friend coming with, also on the mighty xt225.

Thanks,

heirhead
worlds worst mechanic
heirhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 12:10 PM   #1528
isaac004
Studly Adventurer

For those looking to get some riding in on Sunday 3/30, Mike and I plan on doing some exploring up and down the canyons in the Panamint Valley/Range. We will probably ride from early morning to mid afternoon, though it will be easy for you to bail to the highway at a few different points if you have to leave early. There is no sign up for rides on Sunday so just let me know if you are interested. This will be intermediate stuff, potentially may dip into some single track so it won't be big bike friendlyl
Old 02-19-2014, 12:14 PM   #1529
isaac004
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoWheelsGood View Post
Isaac, great ride I'm signed up! But I'll only do it if I'm able to bring the 570 up to DV. I don't have enough dirt miles on the 990 yet to have confidence that I wouldn't be a liability No problems on the 570 . I'll have the range, can radio up myself and one other to improve comms in the group, etc.
Right on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by heirhead View Post
Hello,

Just signed up for your ride. Got room for 1 more? Friend coming with, also on the mighty xt225.

Thanks,

heirhead
worlds worst mechanic
We can probably make room for one more. I'll speak for TwoWheelsGood and assume (potentially volunteer? ) that he could even help lead part of the group if we determine to split into 2 smaller groups.
Old 02-19-2014, 01:16 PM   #1530
headstaller
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 260
Post #2 41: DRAVNX JEFF MC3-D3 DL650A
Joel like playing with #
Quote:
Originally Posted by dravnx View Post
I am missing from the list in post #2 but I am on the IN list in post #4. #200 Jeff Dravnx and have paid my fee. In addition, please set me and #195 Notsofar Patrick up on campsite #29. Thanx.
headstaller is offline   Reply With Quote