ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2014, 12:32 PM   #1966
pne
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 719
Quote:
Originally Posted by itnanti View Post
I only got money for one. Upgraded boots or a Scott's stabilizer? I currently have fox boots that aren't the best but aren't the worst.
boots. I wearing a pair of borrowed crossfires last year in moab when I looped the bike on a steep climb. The bike came down hard peg first into my ankle and I limped away from that without serious injury. I shudder to think what would have happened if I was wearing my fox boots at the time.
Old 03-11-2014, 12:51 PM   #1967
itnanti
aka "cautious cotta"

Oddometer: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by pne View Post
boots. I wearing a pair of borrowed crossfires last year in moab when I looped the bike on a steep climb. The bike came down hard peg first into my ankle and I limped away from that without serious injury. I shudder to think what would have happened if I was wearing my fox boots at the time.

I know I should do boots but part me says avoid the high speed get off with the stabilizer. Not many hill climbs in DV.

itnanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 12:54 PM   #1968
FYYFF
Forever young...

Oddometer: 1,988
Quote:
I know I should do boots but part me says avoid the high speed get off with the stabilizer. Not many hill climbs in DV.
After all these "boot talk" I think I'll get one too.

My Smugmug
Follow me with SPOT
My YouTube
FYYFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 01:11 PM   #1969
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,157
Quote:
I only got money for one. Upgraded boots or a Scott's stabilizer? I currently have fox boots that aren't the best but aren't the worst.

Tough call in your situation. The scotts could help prevent a crash, the crossfires will protect your feet when you do.

If your fox boots have a sole that doesn't flex at all, (take the boot in your hand and try to fold the toe section towards the shin, there should be very little if any flex with all your might. If your boots fold back to the shin, that's what can happen in a crash of any kind, not just high speed)
Good boots could withstand a large brick (bike) dropping on the top or from the sides of your foot and also don't allow your ankle to rotate in any unnatural direction but enough to shift, if your boots protect all these things, for you I'd get the scotts.
That's assuming you fox boots are comfortable enough to wear all day, day in day out.

Then again, if you're a size 10 then it's a no brainer since Isaac is offering a smoking deal.... last boots you'll need to buy for years to come. You can buy a Scotts anytime. Might even win one of those Scotts discount coupon if they have them for the raffle again this year...

Good luck in your decision.

For anyone else thinking about getting boots, but aren't a size 10 or don't have it in the budget for the crossfires, there's many other choices out there for boots that will protect you, go in a shop and try them on, just follow some of the criteria I mentioned possibly.
Nancy wears gaerne boots that have saved her from getting hurt many times too and cost much less than the crossfires.

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 01:30 PM   #1970
itnanti
aka "cautious cotta"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider View Post
Tough call in your situation. The scotts could help prevent a crash, the crossfires will protect your feet when you do.

If your fox boots have a sole that doesn't flex at all, (take the boot in your hand and try to fold the toe section towards the shin, there should be very little if any flex with all your might. If your boots fold back to the shin, that's what can happen in a crash of any kind, not just high speed)
Good boots could withstand a large brick (bike) dropping on the top or from the sides of your foot and also don't allow your ankle to rotate in any unnatural direction but enough to shift, if your boots protect all these things, for you I'd get the scotts.
That's assuming you fox boots are comfortable enough to wear all day, day in day out.

Then again, if you're a size 10 then it's a no brainer since Isaac is offering a smoking deal.... last boots you'll need to buy for years to come. You can buy a Scotts anytime. Might even win one of those Scotts discount coupon if they have them for the raffle again this year...

Good luck in your decision.

For anyone else thinking about getting boots, but aren't a size 10 or don't have it in the budget for the crossfires, there's many other choices out there for boots that will protect you, go in a shop and try them on, just follow some of the criteria I mentioned possibly.
Nancy wears gaerne boots that have saved her from getting hurt many times too and cost much less than the crossfires.

Good info Finn, thanks. I will check the boots tonight. I was looking at the same crossfires but I have shrek feet, so I need an 11 and a boot that isn't so narrow.

Old 03-11-2014, 02:16 PM   #1971
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool

Oddometer: 3,228
Quote:
Good info Finn, thanks. I will check the boots tonight. I was looking at the same crossfires but I have shrek feet, so I need an 11 and a boot that isn't so narrow.
Look into Gaerne SG-10's. Boots made for those of us with wide feet.
tbarstow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 02:18 PM   #1972
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool

Oddometer: 3,228
Quote:
Go for the boots and don't ride beyond your abilities to avoid high speed get offs.
tbarstow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 02:19 PM   #1973
itnanti
aka "cautious cotta"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbarstow View Post
Go for the boots and don't ride beyond your abilities to avoid high speed get offs.

Thanks, sorry for hijacking the noob thread. Back to the regular programming. :)

Old 03-11-2014, 03:33 PM   #1974
ixab
just Aaron, really

Oddometer: 375
Laugh just some adjustments...

You know the Noobs Rally is soon when...

Lucky for me I have a 5 year old that's good with tools.

Old 03-11-2014, 04:29 PM   #1975
Little Bike
Air/Clutz Sue

Oddometer: 1,244
Reminder:

If anybody needs it I have a Spotwalla account set up just for the rally. Just let me know!

V-Strom 650 Adventure "Maxwell"
DR-Z400s "Little Donkey2"
Little Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 04:32 PM   #1976
BogeyMan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 443
RV Question...

For those of you in RV's - a question - can I assume that if I drive there with my RV (medium ToyHauler) tanks dry/empty, I'll be able to fill up with fresh water there since there are full hookup sites, even if I'm not at one of those sites?
http://photos.boggis.com
BogeyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 04:48 PM   #1977
Sniperx
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 359
First event here:

What does one bring on this adventure? I'm no stranger to camping and prepping for adventure, but this is my first motorcycle specific tour and don't want to pack too many silly things. What kind of tires would you recommend for someone riding in? I'm on Shinko Trailmaster front and Avon Distanza rear. I'm riding an 1150GS. ANy helpful hints would be appreciated.
Old 03-11-2014, 04:54 PM   #1978
FTL900
White and nerdy

Oddometer: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by markrmark View Post
THANK YOU THANK YOU!!! This is so helpful! Anyone else have any setup / kit stories they want to share?
It's helpful for noobs like me to see what people are doing to get ready... and what people are bringing & leaving at home!
Mark
Another noob here... I made the DV Daze in January, but I'm still very new at this.
I'm packing light. Rear fender bag contains a front tube, tube patching kit, a siphon hose, a clean red grease rag, small flashlight, and a couple of other small misc. things- probably phone & camera.

My backpack contains about half of what I need for a good first aid kit- 10 feet of bright bandage stretchy wrap material, EMT scissors, and a few other things. Also contains my camelback, enough snacks for 10 guys for 30 days, a chemlight stick or two, 20-30 feet of 550 cord, small emergency mirror, a compass, and I don't recall what else. A small DV map also goes in there somewhere.

I don't have tire irons yet. I haven't figured out how to carry extra fuel yet- I have two 1.5 liter MSR bottles, but haven't done the mounting yet.

My new front tire arrived last night, so I'm expecting the UPS lady to visit me again this evening with the rear tire. Rear view mirrors are... on the shelf, I think. I guess I'll mount those as well.

Sena SMH10 speakers are mounted in the dirt bike helmet in case it becomes convenient. Don't know that I'll need it since I don't know anyone there.

Old 03-11-2014, 05:16 PM   #1979
Nowwhat
I'll Go Second...

Oddometer: 4,716
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTL900 View Post
Another noob here... I made the DV Daze in January, but I'm still very new at this.
I'm packing light. Rear fender bag contains a front tube, tube patching kit, a siphon hose, a clean red grease rag, small flashlight, and a couple of other small misc. things- probably phone & camera.

My backpack contains about half of what I need for a good first aid kit- 10 feet of bright bandage stretchy wrap material, EMT scissors, and a few other things. Also contains my camelback, enough snacks for 10 guys for 30 days, a chemlight stick or two, 20-30 feet of 550 cord, small emergency mirror, a compass, and I don't recall what else. A small DV map also goes in there somewhere.

I don't have tire irons yet. I haven't figured out how to carry extra fuel yet- I have two 1.5 liter MSR bottles, but haven't done the mounting yet.

My new front tire arrived last night, so I'm expecting the UPS lady to visit me again this evening with the rear tire. Rear view mirrors are... on the shelf, I think. I guess I'll mount those as well.

Sena SMH10 speakers are mounted in the dirt bike helmet in case it becomes convenient. Don't know that I'll need it since I don't know anyone there.

So easy to over pack for these things.....more weight and bulky bags will cause more problems then anything...

1) mini duct tape roll or 6' of duct tape wrapped around another tool or small bolt...now lose the 10' of bandages
2) zip ties...
3) Head lamp
4) multi-tool...now lose all the tools this item replaces...pliers screw driver etc
3) a good knife....now loose the emt scissors
4) fire starter...now loose the tent..bivy...
5) Vicoden
6) Vicoden
7) hand pump=good mountain bike pump....now lose the electric
8) correct sized tire irons that match the hub bolts on your bike...now lose those wrenches
9) lose the signal mirror, compass...i know they sound cool...but you will hike out via trail so we can find you and there are all kinds of shiny things on your bike
10)Carry enough food for enjoyment not survival...you are going to DV not the Gobi
11) paracord bracket on your wrist or backpack is fine....
12) Front tube and a patch kit

As to fuel.....MSR dromedary bag...works like magic...proven 453% better than fuel bottles...

Seriously..if you leave camp with more than a Mojavi bag or a small backpack you are doing it wrong.......not to mention the other 8 guys you are with have all the same shit...
'Berg 570..Trail Beast
Nowwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 05:19 PM   #1980
pandamanprod
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Good Loadout

Great Loadout, I'll be coming to you for first aid!

It'd be good to carry irons, tho I'm sure others will be as well. Though more importantly, and while it might be obvious, make sure your tossing in your metric sockets / allen keys in case your bike takes a spill and you need to loosen controls / bars / throttle or readjust. I would also order / bring spare throttle / clutch cables if accessible, I'm also going to bring some lube / grease.

I'll be bringing a breaker bar as well for the front wheel. I'd be least concerned about fuel, although that's assuming your running with a bigger ADV Bike whom you could siphon off extra. Im probably going to throw a quart of oil in my pack as well, just in case I / or anyone else, finds themselves burning thru it.

I'll be running Sena's as well, I hope other guys / gals do the same. see you there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTL900 View Post