Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2013, 04:21 PM   #46
Tragic Overlander OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
That's it for a few days everyone. There's too much snow around here, so I'm off to the desert for a few days on the Thumper.

Play nicely now

Dave
Tragic Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 05:28 PM   #47
byways
byways

Oddometer: 2,108
byways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 09:33 PM   #48
RockyMountain76
Rockymountain76

Oddometer: 4
"Anthony of course continued with his book research - this particular bathroom didn't score very highly."

Actually that out house could have rated very highly, but the lack of seat, door, and paper really knocked it down a few notches. Nice to finally see some of Casey B's pics. Thanks for sharing!
RockyMountain76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 04:25 AM   #49
ABuck99

Oddometer: 487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragic Overlander View Post
That's it for a few days everyone. There's too much snow around here, so I'm off to the desert for a few days on the Thumper.

Play nicely now

Dave
Enjoy the desert! We'll be riding single track in the woods and a little vintage style mx track this weekend.
Old 11-01-2013, 05:03 AM   #50
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,126
HoW did I miss this ?
Excellent fellas !
Byways and Q are the best ! Always make you feel welcome

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"

DockingPilot screwed with this post 11-01-2013 at 05:25 AM
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 06:13 AM   #51
bwyatt1009
God's ADV Rider

Oddometer: 41
Nice report my friend. Sorry I missed it. Much less rain than the previous week.
bwyatt1009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 08:40 AM   #52
DolphinJohn
Really, Really Cool

Oddometer: 3,798
Sounds like you all had a blast. I know I loved the route.

I chatted with Stan for a bit in Wendover when he was on his way to Idaho Falls to get his leaky forks fixed.

Great report!!

My Ride Reports
DolphinJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:15 AM   #53
byways
byways

Ben's Quality Cycle in Idaho Falls

I'll use this interlude to give a shout out to Ben @ Ben's Quality Cycle LLC in Idaho Falls.

In the midst of a busy season, master KTM technician Ben Hawker pulled out all the stops to fix Stan's bike. In fact, he helped a number of HoW riders this season, even once leaving the golf course to come in and mount tires on a fellow's BMW.

Ben also handled the receipt and return shipping for the bikes of Dockingpilot's crew when they made the inaugural run of the route.

I wish I could give Ben my own bidness, but as Stan is so sorely aware, I ride a KLR that just keeps on tickin' ...
Old 11-01-2013, 10:03 AM   #54
gtdsrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Dolphin John-it sounds like you guys finished strong with better weather and great camping spots. I enjoyed talking to you in Wendover and agree with all of your superlatives about the HOTW route. Let us know when you are coming up to North Georgia to ride in the mountains and we can show you the good spots.
gtdsrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 10:14 AM   #55
gtdsrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Byways- you are right about Ben's shop in Idaho Falls, he is the best. He did an excellent job on replacing my fork seals and finished the work very quickly.He dropped everything else that he was doing to attend to my bike and that was very much appreciated at the time. I highly recommend him for any repair work for people traveling the route.
As for your KLR, let's not go into either its reliability or performance. I think that you are very lucky to have Ben closeby. He must really like you because even though his shop works on all brands of motorcycles, Honda lawnmowers and Stihl weedeaters it is surprising that he will work on a KLR!
gtdsrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 10:51 AM   #56
Douf
Limey Bitch

Oddometer: 770
Quote:
Originally Posted by byways View Post
I wish I could give Ben my own bidness, but as Stan is so sorely aware, I ride a KLR that just keeps on tickin' ...
....yeah Tony, but sometimes that tickin' sound is a prelude to this:

Con-rod snapped and punched through the engine cases at 31k.

Looking on the bright side, after a few spirited bidding skirmishes on Ebay I'd sourced a complete bottom end, plus replacement barrel and piston - all with (allegedly) less than 2k on 'em - for about the price of a 950 water pump rebuild

Douf
Douf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 10:54 AM   #57
byways
byways

Ouch! My KLR just turned 30k ...

BUT ... I think I have an old lawn-mower motor that'll fit ...
Old 11-02-2013, 06:41 AM   #58
sleazy rider
Squidly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,887

Following along in mind and spirit. Next September, in person.
--Tom IBA #41627
Blog
sleazy rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 04:52 PM   #59
ABuck99

Oddometer: 487
Day 8 add on

By day 7 I had my fill of freeze dried MRE's for dinners, so lunches became the most important meal of the day ( even if it was subway or some other co-op gas station food), anything was better than freeze dried chicken & "dump"-lings. So on day 8 lunch in Island Park was a nice break. We stopped at one of the lodges on the side of HWY 20- Im thinking it was the Ponds Lodge ( anyone?). This was a nice break from the trail, great food, and Anthony approved commode amenities.

Just after lunch, I was leading the group out of Idaho towards Jackson Lake. Not long after we got started, Stan stopped to enjoy his 2nd flat fixing session. Thus far we surrendered a total of 3 tubes to the flat tire gods. So I had no idea the other guys stopped, because every time I looked in my mirrors I saw another bike following just behind so I as usual applied throttle and pushed ahead. A few times I slowed to let the bike behind catch up, and when they got in to eyesight, I motored ahead. After 15-20 miles of this I slowed a little and Casey raced up beside me (wringing the neck on that 690 and waived me over). Apparently he had been chasing me since we set out , to let me know the group stopped. Oops

So Casey and I set up the camp chairs, and hung out for an hour or so catching up on life back on the East coast, and sunning our selves by the side of the trail until the group caught up.

The final section of trail that lead us from the border of Wyoming to the north end of Jackson lake was another stellar set of tracks. The dirt conditions that day were excellent so traction was perfect- combined with lots of obstacles like rocks, roots, small ledges, washouts, winding twisty, turns and minor elevation changes, we were in heaven. The pace was quick, and lots of fun. Later that evening I think there was some discussion of deep turns into a "declining radius" curve- and maybe Stan, Phil, Anthony or Dave can chime in about that experience.....

We pushed along the northeast side of Jackson Lake where we finally popped out of the woods to join Hwy 89 headed towards J-Hole. As Dave said, all of our campsite options were full, or closed. This put us at the crossroads of back tracking to primitive camp or push on to J-Hole to find a hotel. Since it was getting dark, we all agreed to push on and take a hotel. We rolled into J-Hole confronted by a barrage of tourists- and not one hotel with more than 1 available room. Starting rates for that 1 room: $240 a night- NOT. We motored back out of town to a small hotel beside Hwy 89 that we passed on the way in: Flat Creek Inn & Gas station..... and we were lucky to get the last 3 rooms in the hotel.

Which brings me to my final conclusions about staying in J-hole; the vibe there didnt seem to embrace us dirty adventure bikers. From the throngs of tourists, to the less than average experiences about town, we decided the woods were calling and an early morning departure was in order.

So if you are traveling on this route, and nearing the Jackson area mid afternoon, consider stopping early and camping near the north end of Lake Jackson. We passed some really nice spots, that were new or newly improved, with water, commodes, and best of all void of tourists.

If you need a hotel and you want to bypass J-Hole all together, there are some small lodges on the next set of tracks on Hwy 26 near Heart GFL.
Old 11-04-2013, 07:09 AM   #60
Tragic Overlander OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
Day 9

Day 9: Jackson Hole, WY to Big Sandy, WY
190 MILES

Our group was ready around 7.30am and we headed into town for breakfast. Casey B had decided that he wanted to continue his ride alone and had a nice sleep in. I think he was just looking for a less regimented experience and he did not have a hard deadline like we did. We found a little café called “DOG” and I had a really good bacon sandwich and some coffee.

Then we headed down to the local KTM dealer to pick up some oil and spare tubes. Let’s just say that our experience at this dealer mirrored our perception of the whole town – a generalization maybe, but it was time to get out.

Our little group headed back out of town to the north. We stopped at a couple of pull outs to get some photos of the majestic Grand Tetons.

Too much coffee?

Anthony had a nice conversation with this little guy:

We turned east and headed towards the Wind River Range, and the riding was brisk. I certainly managed to relax a bit now that we were back on remote roads. We crossed the highway again and headed for Union Pass which I have ridden a couple of times before on the CDR. A beautiful look out heading up to the pass gave us a great opportunity to view the stunning Wind River Range and we had a nice break to take in the scenery.

Next stop was Crooked Creek which appeared to be a large snowmobile operation and they had a couple of gas pumps – so we topped off our tanks. This looked like a place I would want to visit in winter – cool little cabins, a restaurant, and access to hundreds of miles of sledding country.

Anthony, our resident Dog Whisperer, made another friend.

From here we rode on through a series of very fast wooded fire roads and wide open sub-alpine valleys. A few antelope and eagles were sighted as we blasted along the windy roads.

Soon after, we dropped down off the plateau and returned to the wide open and flat terrain that WY is renowned for. Gas and lunch at Pinedale which is a nice little town.

I was a little concerned about camping tonight as we were now headed into the Big Sandy area which I know from past rides is pretty wide open and desolate.

We rode on for a few miles and turned off the marked route to go and check out the Big Sandy resort. We didn’t make it very far when Anthony spotted a dense little shelter to the right of the trail – we took off to explore, and it ended up being one of the best camp sites of the whole trip. I think it was on private property but it was obvious that many people had camped here. We quickly set up camp, gathered firewood and just chilled out. We had arrived at camp around 4pm, and this early stop was a well earned break in our usually hectic pace.

Phil and I went in search of firewood

By this point in the ride, Phil had become suicidal over his riding attire:

We talked a lot around the campfire that night, and started to review the trip so far. Unfortunately, the reality was that we were nearing the end of the ride. We all unanimously agreed that this had been a great ride, and In my opinion should go down as one of the great Overland Adventures in North America. Anthony let us know that we was going to start heading back home tomorrow. I had known that he might have to head home a bit early – something about a hockey game or was it tonsil hockey? There was a huge black storm heading straight towards us, but we managed to stay dry all night.
Tragic Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote