User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2014, 09:41 PM   #1
oregonlmd OP
Dirt,street,its all good.

Oddometer: 177
2014 24-Hour of Starvation Ridge

I'm pitting once again with the Barton Endurance Racing team, supporting their Iron Man entrant, Carrie Barton - who won the 2012 series, and 6th at the 24 that year. Note: Carrie is not a man, through Carrie is riding in the Ironman class. She's found her niche in the motorcycle racing world and is able to turn lap after lap (after lap after lap...) with crazy consistency.

My plan is to post pics regularly as the race happens. We got here at 3:00PM today and set up our pits.
Go here to learn a bit more about the race. Its the largest 24-hour dirtbike race event in the US.

This is the view of our pit from pit lane

Carrie's sponsors include Klim and CycleBuy, and there are several others.

Things are muddy, pit lane is a mess, and the race is still over 12 hours away

My home for the weekend, still need to pop the top

The venue

Lots of square miles of rolling wheat fields. Course is usually around 20 miles long, its changed up a bit for each endurance race

A blurry pic of the 950SE that ran the 24 last year, and is doing it again

A 990 on the same team that's had all the excess removed

More pit pics

Race starts at 10:00AM Saturday. Ends, obviously, same time Sunday.
More to come...

oregonlmd screwed with this post 10-24-2014 at 09:53 PM
oregonlmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 09:22 AM   #2
SpeedyR
SE in the SE

Oddometer: 842
Glad to see the heavyweights back at it. If you can post any updates on them that would be great!

Good job on the ironman/woman! I did a team 24 hour MTB race back in 92 in Canaan valley WV and have thought of doing a 24 hour XC race again but with a motor this time.

Good luck and safe riding to all participants!!
SpeedyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 09:50 AM   #3
Hohmie
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 540
Nice!
Looking forward to some updates!
Hohmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 01:02 PM   #4
Luke
GPoET&P

Oddometer: 4,115
Awesome! I was wondering why she missed the XC in Bend last weekend.

I'll be following along. (Not literally, for once )

Looks like the weather's going to be about perfect this year. Good luck!
Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 01:04 PM   #5
Scotty Breauxman
Baja Breaux

Oddometer: 335
+1 for Heavyweights and esp Konflict

...this is gonna be good
Scotty Breauxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 01:48 PM   #6
oregonlmd OP

First, a word from our sponsors

Some of these pics are cellphone pics. I let my camera's battery die. Sorry 'bout that.

Rider's meeting at 9:00AM. The fog rolls in just to make the start that much more special

A special 3000-gallon water feature at the very end of the course (20.6 miles), with 3 mini-whoops in it just for extra challenge

There is a go-round for those who don't wish to partake

Scott, the organizer, likes to have a special start to the race. Usually, its a mass start, with the bike laying down, and the riders have to run, often a great distance, to their bikes.
This year, there was no good place to stage that, what with the fields all planted, so this year, the classes started in waves. Bikes are still on their sides, but this time the riders had to kneel in front of their bikes facing Scott, with their hands on their heads. Funny stuff

1st corner

The juniors and Ironman participants didn't have to do the start shenanigans. Carrie is just to the left of the starter, #156i, and there's an orange light on her front number plate (helps us see her coming down pit lane at night)

The Ironmen started at 10:13:55

After some riders have completed the 1st lap, pit row is now constant action for the next 24 hours (though it'll slow down considerably after midnight)

Bikes ready to race

The sun peeked out momentarily

Actually, as I type this, there are significant breaks in the clouds, and the chance of rain is supposed to hold at about 40-50% until 4-5PM, when there's supposed to be a good chance of rain, then chances decline a lot, and finally to near zero tomorrow early morning.

One of the 950/990's (I dunno which it is)

He makes a big bike look normal sized

Carrie is turning 1:04 laps right now. The mud is not her thing (its just a lot more work) and she's in it for the long haul. She's at 13th of 25 Ironman starters, and that's a good position for her. She usually moves up the rankings as time goes on. Carrie is in good shape and trains for these events. Her attitude at the last pit stop was great and she's feeling good.

More to come...
Old 10-25-2014, 01:51 PM   #7
oregonlmd OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyR View Post
Glad to see the heavyweights back at it. If you can post any updates on them that would be great!
I'll see what I can do.

I had a 990 for about 6 months this year and I now have a full appreciation for what it takes to ride them fast at this race. I rode sweep at last year's event and it was great fun to see them moving through the course.
Old 10-25-2014, 03:45 PM   #8
SpeedyR
SE in the SE

Oddometer: 842
I appreciate any updates but understand it's not your priority. :)

The blue bike is a stripped adventure. Pretty cool build if you get a chance to look it over.

I'm headed to do a two hour hare scramble tomorrow morning on my 950. Little bit tighter woods in Georgia but still lots of fun. Looking forward to trying out the rear suspension now that it actually has some nitrogen in it.
SpeedyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 04:25 PM   #9
oregonlmd OP

Its now 3:10, and for a normal longish race its been 5 hours and it seems like its about time for things to finish up. At this race, there's still 19 hours to go.

At around 2:00, things were drying up and out on the course (the parts one can get to without a loonnnggg hike), traction was getting good

The start of the course

A little ways in, and there's a muddy spot in the reeds

Right by the pond by Forster's Forest

The trail through Forster's Forest. There are some low branches in there the riders will have to duck WAY under when they're got their helmet lights on tonight

Coming out of that trail and over the dam

As a spectator, I can turn around and see this

That's at nearly the end of the course. There are some truly awful lines through it, and a couple easy ones. The organizers are preparing to re-route things if it gets unridable for the majority.

Its nearly Halloween

We just had a good brief rainstorm. If it keeps up things will get bad. If it holds off, it'll just be good ridin'
Old 10-25-2014, 04:35 PM   #10
Hohmie
Studly Adventurer

Thanks for the update!
Gonna be a looong night, keep care of yourself and your rider of course.
Old 10-25-2014, 06:19 PM   #11
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,764

Hope everyone rides safe tonight.
WVhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 10:59 PM   #12
oregonlmd OP

Nasty windstorm. Carrie still riding strong though lap times are slowing.
Pit crew is just trying to keep everything from blowing away.
Old 10-26-2014, 08:11 AM   #13
oregonlmd OP

Wow. 8 hours since the last update.

Since then, we had a stiff windstorm come through and do its best to wreck all the easy-ups and any awning rolled out on RVs. We had 3 up, plus an awning out. We tried to just weight the easy-ups down, like everyone else. Then, like many, we ended up dropping them to the unraised height, meaning about 4 feet off the ground. Finally, once the wind died down enough, we were able to take one down, and get the RV awning rolled in.
During all that, the rain came down. Or rather, came diagonally. And, it made the course a soupy mess, along with pit lane.

It prevented me from doing any updates, and I got few pics.

We re-organized the pits, and myself and Mike, Carrie's brother-in-law, got a couple hours sleep. Dave, Carrie's husband, got less - explained below

So, to catch up with some pics since my last update:

This is Carrie prior to her going out for her last daylight lap yesterday

She had really good energy at that point. The hours and course conditions have worn her down a bit since then.

A ladies' team shirt

Around 6:00PM, and its rained, and ruined the good course conditions that had developed

Pit row at night

This is Dave's bed tonight for the 45 minute cat-nap he took. An overturned scrap of indoor-outdoor carpet. On the ground. He used the crumpled up easy-up side in the background as a blanket.

He needed some z's, but wanted to stay ready for Carrie's needs. He's done a great job as pit-boss and everything else.

Carrie is currently in 2nd place! Most ironman entrants have quit (many teams have quit). Lots of ironmen did not keep working at putting in laps through the 12:00AM-6:00AM period. Carrie just keeps plugging along, taking long breaks between laps, and a mid-lap break at one of the checkpoints that loops back to the start-finish How that works is that as long as the bike stays on course the rider can come in for whatever they need and take however long they need - it just affects their lap count detrimentally.

The leader is 3 laps up on Carrie right now, and 3rd is even with Carrie on lap count. Her laps are taking over 2 hours now. The mud is like glue, and the bike weighs at least 50 pounds more, and it could be 100 more. If you're big and strong and fast enough, you can float over the muck and keep it flung off the wheels via sheer speed. Carrie, though determined, is not big, nor strong, nor fast enough. Her determination and basic fitness and excellent prior planning are carrying her far, and it looks good that she can keep her 2nd place position.

More later.
Old 10-26-2014, 09:42 AM   #14
Hohmie
Studly Adventurer

Awesome!

Glad to hear she's still going! Also good to hear you guys are still healthy.
The wind was very bad here in Bend yesterday, can't believe how bad it must have been out there.

Gotta spin those tires to get them clean.

Good luck on the finish!
Old 10-26-2014, 10:12 AM   #15
knevo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Talked with you folks yesterday afternoon, glad to see her kicking ass!
Any idea who the ironman leader is now? Course looked awesome until just after dark

knevo is offline   Reply With Quote