User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2013, 09:03 AM   #1
Brown Town OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
Orange Noob

Just put my F800GS up for sale and put a deposit on my first KTM, a 990 Adventure Baja. What do I need to know about this bike? Common mechanical issues (fuel pump)? Necessary accessories? The only thing I have planned for her right away is a trip to Super Plush or Konflict to have the suss re-sprung, re-valved and lifted to R height.

Thanks all.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:15 AM   #2
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,592
Welcome. http://www.ktm950.info/

I miss round headlights.

"When I was a young man, I liked to race my horse...." -
G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
MortimerSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:21 AM   #3
Brown Town OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortimerSickle View Post
And a light shined down from above.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:57 AM   #4
grant22
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 351
The mechanical issues have pretty much been worked out by now. Just become interested in maintenance and you'll be good. If you're going offroad a lot, your trip to superplush will be worth it's weight in gold. It was for me. Worth every penny. As far as accessories? You gotta be more specific and maybe spend more time reading (you've heard of 950info, the hall of wisdom I'm assuming). Accessories will depend on what you'll be doing which will determine what you need.

Unless you're one of those dudes that thinks "the more sh!t I put on this bike the cooler I'll look." One accessory I can seriously recommend is replacing the stock silencers. It's pricey, but the performance gain and weight loss is really nice.

One more thing: you'll hear about the canisterectomy and such, I suggest riding your bike and breaking her in, then see what you get for mileage. If you're doing well there, then consider leaving the mechanicals alone. I'm getting high forties therefore I'm not going to touch any of that stuff.
grant22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 10:51 AM   #5
Brown Town OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by grant22 View Post
The mechanical issues have pretty much been worked out by now. Just become interested in maintenance and you'll be good. If you're going offroad a lot, your trip to superplush will be worth it's weight in gold. It was for me. Worth every penny. As far as accessories? You gotta be more specific and maybe spend more time reading (you've heard of 950info, the hall of wisdom I'm assuming). Accessories will depend on what you'll be doing which will determine what you need.

Unless you're one of those dudes that thinks "the more sh!t I put on this bike the cooler I'll look." One accessory I can seriously recommend is replacing the stock silencers. It's pricey, but the performance gain and weight loss is really nice.

One more thing: you'll hear about the canisterectomy and such, I suggest riding your bike and breaking her in, then see what you get for mileage. If you're doing well there, then consider leaving the mechanicals alone. I'm getting high forties therefore I'm not going to touch any of that stuff.
Thanks grant, I'm very interested in doing my own maintenance and was doing a bit on my F8. I'm riding the Continental Divide this summer and will likely be exploring a lot of the Backcountry Discovery Route (BDR) in Washington next year so I agree that suspension will be a decent investment. The other accessories I'll likely pick up are a Scotts damper, Black Dog Cycle Works bash plate, FMF pipes and luggage plate w/Rotopax and I think that's it. Unnecessary sh!t = unnecessary weight in my opinion. I'm not a fan of hard luggage and racks for that very reason. Love my Giant Loop Great Basin! However like you say about suspension and silencers, some accessories are game changers.

I'll look into the canisterectomy.
Old 10-28-2013, 11:30 AM   #6
grant22
Gnarly Adventurer

Orange Noob

Ok, so if you're going to be doing that type of riding, here's a few things to consider:

Before you spend the bux on a damper, ride the piss out of that thing before you buy one. I'm a dirt rider and both my EXC's have steering dampers. As much as I've ridden my Baja off road, 4000 miles worth, I'm not seeing that I need a damper yet, and I ride it pretty hard offroad. Your circumstances may be different tho.

Something I think you'll DEFINITELY want are adventure style footpegs. I just sucked it up and bought the fastway ones. They are very nice. You pay for it but buy once cry once, right? There are other more affordable options, tho.

A good way to go for your rotopax and luggage combo might be Hepco Becker racks, rotopax mounts (from a dude here), rotopax mounted up, then soft luggage/bags outboard of those. That way you get to cover both bases somewhat compactly.

The bash plate will be a good idea. I didn't think I was gonna need one, then I experienced what I CAN get the 990 into (rock crawling) and bought one soon after.

Start thinking about a shorty windshield. Offroad when hitting whoops or a g-out, your helmet will probably make contact with the windscreen. The moose racing one is no worse wind-wise (opinion) than the stocker, but it's chopped down, and for $55, it's almost a no risk purchase.

Try your aux led lights in the dark before you go buy some rigids and what not. I've ridden with them offroad and they are more than adequate.

Consider buying some Double Take mirrors. Self explanatory when you see their site.

Consider an upgraded saddle. One that's good on road as well as off road. I think the stock baja seat is fine for offroad (standing, right?), but inroad it's a 100 mile seat. Many here like to buy Renazco seats, and I'm sure they're great. I bought my friend's used Corbin and recovered it at a jet ski shop here in Havasu. I like it a lot for on/off road.

One last thing, if you want the dirtbike look (I did) or you may actually see mud, think 'high fender.'

The nice thing is the Baja comes with what I call the 990 Adventure 'Starter Kit.' So you already get a lot of the nice accessories to get you going.

grant22 screwed with this post 10-28-2013 at 12:48 PM
Old 10-28-2013, 11:53 AM   #7
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

One more thing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Jam View Post

Yes, we made it home! Thanks to Jungle Man and JBWeld !!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Jam View Post
Guess what?
I have a sidestand relocator now (too fuggin late)
....and a weld scar in my engine case almost as big as the scar on my knee

I miss round headlights.

G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
Old 10-28-2013, 12:46 PM   #8
grant22
Gnarly Adventurer

Yup

I always forget that since I don't see it.

It's kinda important.
Old 10-28-2013, 12:51 PM   #9
DuctTape
Gnarly Adventurer

Kickstand bypass switch while your at it.
2010 Ducati 1198S
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 01:08 PM   #10
Brown Town OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by grant22 View Post
Ok, so if you're going to be doing that type of riding, here's a few things to consider:

Before you spend the bux on a damper, ride the piss out of that thing before you buy one. I'm a dirt rider and both my EXC's have steering dampers. As much as I've ridden my Baja off road, 4000 miles worth, I'm not seeing that I need a damper yet, and I ride it pretty hard offroad. Your circumstances may be different tho.

Something I think you'll DEFINITELY want are adventure style footpegs. I just sucked it up and bought the fastway ones. They are very nice. You pay for it but buy once cry once, right? There are other more affordable options, tho.

A good way to go for your rotopax and luggage combo might be Hepco Becker racks, rotopax mounts (from a dude here), rotopax mounted up, then soft luggage/bags outboard of those. That way you get to cover both bases somewhat compactly.

The bash plate will be a good idea. I didn't think I was gonna need one, then I experienced what I CAN get the 990 into (rock crawling) and bought one soon after.

Start thinking about a shorty windshield. Offroad when hitting whoops or a g-out, your helmet will probably make contact with the windscreen. The moose racing one is no worse (opinion) than the stocker, but it's chopped down, and for $55, it's almost a no risk purchase.

Try your aux led lights in the dark before you go buy some rigids and what not. I've ridden with them offroad and they are more than adequate.

Consider buying some Double Take mirrors. Self explanatory when you see their site.

Consider an upgraded saddle. One that's good on road as well as off road. I think the stock baja seat is fine for offroad (standing, right?), but inroad it's a 100 mile seat. Many here like to buy Renazco seats, and I'm sure they're great. I bought my friend's used Corbin and recovered it at a jet ski shop here in Havasu. I like it a lot for on/off road.

One last thing, if you want the dirtbike look (I did) or you may actually see mud, think 'high fender.'

The nice thing is the Baja comes with what I call the 990 Adventure 'Starter Kit.' So you already get a lot of the nice accessories to get you going.
I'll try it without for a bit and see what happens but I'm kinda partial to dampers after watching other guys crap their pants and/or go down when the wag sets in.

With adventure style foot pegs have you ever found that the decrease in space between the peg and clutch lever is problematic?

I loved my Altrider luggage plate with single Rotopax because it was such a small clean set-up. I'll probably go for Black Dog Cycle Works version.

The double takes look like a nice solution. Easily folded or removed if need be.

I was looking at Renazco's. Full suede or suede top / vinyl sides?

I'm sure I'll see mud in Washington if I don't see it on the CDR. I was looking into the high fender...any idea if what kind of fork guards bolt on without any mods? I read one post that said the 690SM did.
Old 10-28-2013, 01:09 PM   #11
Brown Town OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortimerSickle View Post
One more thing:
Which relocator kit?
Old 10-28-2013, 01:09 PM   #12
Gustavo.Ramos
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 696
Twice the money for fuel/fun compared to the 800

Raid de L'Amitié 2011 RR (link)
690R
Gustavo.Ramos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 01:17 PM   #13
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Town View Post
Which relocator kit?
Different people like different ones for different reasons.

I have the Weld86, and am happy with it. You get a price break by buying it along with the Weld86 skid plate.

I modified mine to eliminate the need to bolt to the case. I did this by countersinking from the backside.

I miss round headlights.

G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
Old 10-28-2013, 02:05 PM   #14
grant22
Gnarly Adventurer

That's how mine is, but a friend made it.

Tht style is nice cuz it doesn't need a sensor extension.
Old 10-28-2013, 02:13 PM   #15
grant22
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Town View Post
I'll try it without for a bit and see what happens but I'm kinda partial to dampers after watching other guys crap their pants and/or go down when the wag sets in.

With adventure style foot pegs have you ever found that the decrease in space between the peg and clutch lever is problematic?

^NO. They are magical.

I loved my Altrider luggage plate with single Rotopax because it was such a small clean set-up. I'll probably go for Black Dog Cycle Works version.

The double takes look like a nice solution. Easily folded or removed if need be.

I was looking at Renazco's. Full suede or suede top / vinyl sides?

^I like grippy top for when ur seated, but slick sides for when ur standing so the bike can move front to back while ur standing.

I'm sure I'll see mud in Washington if I don't see it on the CDR. I was looking into the high fender...any idea if what kind of fork guards bolt on without any mods? I read one post that said the 690SM did.

I used a super Enduro fender with 85sx fork guards. A little cutting plus little brackets I made equaled a clean result. I'll put up pics later. Hall of wisdom has a parts list.

Additionally, you'll need a Black Dog Cycle Works light mount for your led lights. Other wise ur high fender will interfere with them (stick they are frame mounted. U need to make them triple clamp mounted to turn with the fender.)

See above quote for answers