ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2013, 03:32 PM   #16
grant22
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 463
Here's a pic of the footpegs

Here's a pic of the seat

This shows the high fender and the fork guards, and the lil brackets I made to make the guards work
You'll also see the roto pax here and doubletake mirrors

And like I said, with suspension and sag setup correctly (meaning head angle geometry is correct) you may find you don't need a damper. The only place I've found a damper would help is sand, but for me sand is just a 30 second at a time thing.
grant22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 07:33 PM   #17
Orangecicle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,333
As someone else said, just get it and ride it for awhile. There's plenty of time to farkle later. Here's one of my favorite quotes from a world rider who makes the point that the most important thing is to ride:

"You need a 500 bike, is fine, obviously second hand. And you can leave pretty much in the clothes you are standing up in. Some waterproofs from your local angling store. A bag. A simple tool roll. And you are ready to go. You got to spend the money on the trip, not on the gear to do the trip. Otherwise, you'll never get anywhere. You'd never leave."

Austin & Gerald Vince

Orangecicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 10:26 PM   #18
Brown Town OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant22 View Post
Here's a pic of the footpegs

Here's a pic of the seat

This shows the high fender and the fork guards, and the lil brackets I made to make the guards work
You'll also see the roto pax here and doubletake mirrors

And like I said, with suspension and sag setup correctly (meaning head angle geometry is correct) you may find you don't need a damper. The only place I've found a damper would help is sand, but for me sand is just a 30 second at a time thing.
Those footpegs look NICE. Saddle looks comfy too. I like the idea of having the Rotopax on the side but have you dropped the bike on it yet? How much does the luggage frame weigh roughly?

Shorty windshield looks quite good. I was just looking at those last night and thinking of picking one up and stowing my tall one in the support vehicle for the ride home from the CDR.

I'll ride her for a while without a damper and see how she feels. Lots of sand here in the South West but am moving to the Pacific North West shortly so that will change.
Old 10-28-2013, 11:28 PM   #19
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Town View Post
Lots of sand here in the South West but am moving to the Pacific North West shortly so that will change.
Yeah, sand is less a problem here.

I miss round headlights.

"When I was a young man, I liked to race my horse...." -
G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
MortimerSickle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 11:34 PM   #20
Brown Town OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortimerSickle View Post
Yeah, sand is less a problem here.

MUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUD! Bet that'll slap your front wheel around. Can't wait!!!
Old 10-29-2013, 09:05 AM   #21
grant22
Gnarly Adventurer

To answer your last questions:

Yes, dropped the bike on the left side, low speed lay down. The $50 Rotopax took the hit and saved expensive body work damage. Now the rotopax is scratched, no biggie.

The luggage frame work I would say weighs around 5 lbs. Dunno, but it's not heavy.

The windshield thing: when u get your 990 and shorty windshield, you may find there's no reason to put the stock one back on. I don't think it gives any additional wind protection, even at hwy speeds.

I'm in AZ too, but most of my big bike trails CROSS the sandy washes as opposed to riding up the sandy washes. For long sand rides and/or PNW mud, traction is going to be your issue and tire selection will be very important. Your stock rear will do the trick, but you may or may not like it on the hwy. but that's a whole 'nuther thread.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:15 AM   #22
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,053
Quote:
MUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUD! Bet that'll slap your front wheel around. Can't wait!!!
Quote:
For long sand rides and/or PNW mud, traction is going to be your issue and tire selection will be very important
Full disclosure: I wasn't on my 950 in the above pic. My solution for mud-riding is to switch bikes, or better yet, wait for drier weather.

I miss round headlights.

"When I was a young man, I liked to race my horse...." -
G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
MortimerSickle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 01:06 PM   #23
Oldebonz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
CJ sidestand relocator most important,also had Weld 86,Cj seems much stronger,Weld 86 skid plate and Moose Bar-hand protectors(stock ones all plastic,good for ONE fall) will keep your bike safe from most mayhem!
Oldebonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 09:36 PM   #24
zgfiredude
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 821
CJ's side stand re-locator and skid plate, Highway Dirt Bikes hand guard/mirror combo, shorty w/s, fmf Q4 cans (or wings), high fender, and ride baby ride!
Old 10-29-2013, 11:27 PM   #25
Brown Town OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
To answer your last questions:

Yes, dropped the bike on the left side, low speed lay down. The $50 Rotopax took the hit and saved expensive body work damage. Now the rotopax is scratched, no biggie.

The luggage frame work I would say weighs around 5 lbs. Dunno, but it's not heavy.

The windshield thing: when u get your 990 and shorty windshield, you may find there's no reason to put the stock one back on. I don't think it gives any additional wind protection, even at hwy speeds.

I'm in AZ too, but most of my big bike trails CROSS the sandy washes as opposed to riding up the sandy washes. For long sand rides and/or PNW mud, traction is going to be your issue and tire selection will be very important. Your stock rear will do the trick, but you may or may not like it on the hwy. but that's a whole 'nuther thread.
Thanks for the info grant. I'll post pics when I start fiddling with her.
Old 10-30-2013, 03:55 PM   #26
Brown Town OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgfiredude View Post
CJ's side stand re-locator and skid plate, Highway Dirt Bikes hand guard/mirror combo, shorty w/s, fmf Q4 cans (or wings), high fender, and ride baby ride!
Anyone notice if the CJ relocator puts the stand in a place where it grinds when cornering aggressively?
Old 10-30-2013, 05:48 PM   #27
zgfiredude
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 821
Quote:
Anyone notice if the CJ relocator puts the stand in a place where it grinds when cornering aggressively?
I think you would get the pegs prior to the side stand.........
Old 10-31-2013, 02:57 PM   #28
NewtAZ
"did you say tacos?"

Oddometer: 39

what tire combo is this?
NewtAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 05:50 PM   #29
grant22
Gnarly Adventurer

TKC 80 front
Heidenau K60 rear

It's a decent (not great) combo and compromise for road and offroad. I'm at 4500 miles on them. Will easily go a total of 5000 (front and rear) but could squeak out 6000 miles if I chose to.
Old 10-31-2013, 06:26 PM   #30
5 speed
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 877
Quote:
I'll try it without for a bit and see what happens but I'm kinda partial to dampers after watching other guys crap their pants and/or go down when the wag sets in.

With adventure style foot pegs have you ever found that the decrease in space between the peg and clutch lever is problematic?

I loved my Altrider luggage plate with single Rotopax because it was such a small clean set-up. I'll probably go for Black Dog Cycle Works version.

The double takes look like a nice solution. Easily folded or removed if need be.

I was looking at Renazco's. Full suede or suede top / vinyl sides?

I'm sure I'll see mud in Washington if I don't see it on the CDR. I was looking into the high fender...any idea if what kind of fork guards bolt on without any mods? I read one post that said the 690SM did.
Um, seriously on the damper, its pretty necessary unless you are Kurt Caselli or something. In Florida, in the sand, this tanker is pretty impossible to ride without it, seriously.

I just put a Fastway on it, and while I know Scotts is the best, etc, etc, it cost me $500.00 and I didnt have to change the triple clamps to mount it. Its clearly a game changer. It makes things so much more stable in the corners, lets face it, its like a cellphone- you dont know how you lived without it.
Also, we had the first aftermarket mfg show here in Orlando a couple of weeks ago and the Ohlins guys were there. Clearly their stuff is superior but I could buy a new bike for the cost of forks and rear shock, -literally.

They knew James at SP well and agree he is the Adventure guru. I went the cheap route recently and just dropped in stiffer front springs which made a world of difference. I do see superplush in my future however.

Blackdog skidplate covers the kickstand mounting area well, so havent relocated as of yet. Its heavy duty and a well made piece. Also, I have an XPC seat, suede. I really like it. I couldnt wait for James as his lead time is quite long but XPC did the seat up exactly how I asked and was reasonably priced.

You have a great bike and quite honestly, I know the new bike is supposed to be more better, but I'm not sure I like the looks, have seen it in person at Isle of Man (someone's personal bike) and feel like its just straying a bit too much from the roots. You may have the end of an era, literally so good choice
5 speed is offline   Reply With Quote