ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (<1000cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2013, 06:34 PM   #31
5 speed
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 858
Also on the Pro moto/Fastway foot pegs; I saw the guys at the expo and I have their orginal ones on the 950. These are way bigger. Only thing I asked them was to figure out how to rubber mount them where the bolt runs through the frame. Sure would be nice to eliminate some buzz as well.
5 speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 08:10 PM   #32
grant22
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 speed View Post
Um, seriously on the damper, its pretty necessary unless you are Kurt Caselli or something. In Florida, in the sand, this tanker is pretty impossible to ride without it, seriously.

I just put a Fastway on it, and while I know Scotts is the best, etc, etc, it cost me $500.00 and I didnt have to change the triple clamps to mount it. Its clearly a game changer. It makes things so much more stable in the corners, lets face it, its like a cellphone- you dont know how you lived without it.
Also, we had the first aftermarket mfg show here in Orlando a couple of weeks ago and the Ohlins guys were there. Clearly their stuff is superior but I could buy a new bike for the cost of forks and rear shock, -literally.

They knew James at SP well and agree he is the Adventure guru. I went the cheap route recently and just dropped in stiffer front springs which made a world of difference. I do see superplush in my future however.

Blackdog skidplate covers the kickstand mounting area well, so havent relocated as of yet. Its heavy duty and a well made piece. Also, I have an XPC seat, suede. I really like it. I couldnt wait for James as his lead time is quite long but XPC did the seat up exactly how I asked and was reasonably priced.

You have a great bike and quite honestly, I know the new bike is supposed to be more better, but I'm not sure I like the looks, have seen it in person at Isle of Man (someone's personal bike) and feel like its just straying a bit too much from the roots. You may have the end of an era, literally so good choice
To each his own, but I'm no Caselli.

Maybe my superplush'd suspension makes the difference. When your suspension is dialed, you'd be surprised at what you can get away with, and what band aids you don't need. Also, we're not riding in FL sand. We have sand that has hard pack about 1"-4" below.

Simply put, I MAY get one eventually, but I've been riding some serious stuff without it, and it's been pretty unnecessary so far.
grant22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 10:20 PM   #33
darrendeep6
BMW Dirty Dozen

Oddometer: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant22 View Post
To each his own, but I'm no Caselli.

Maybe my superplush'd suspension makes the difference. When your suspension is dialed, you'd be surprised at what you can get away with, and what band aids you don't need. Also, we're not riding in FL sand. We have sand that has hard pack about 1"-4" below.

Simply put, I MAY get one eventually, but I've been riding some serious stuff without it, and it's been pretty unnecessary so far.
New 990 owner and I'm going to sort the suspension before I throw a damper at it too.
darrendeep6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 10:22 PM   #34
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 speed View Post
Blackdog skidplate covers the kickstand mounting area well, so havent relocated as of yet.
Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think a hit to the mounting area is what causes case breakage. I think a hit to the kickstand itself is the hazard. That would put a lot of leverage on the mount, covered or not.

I miss round headlights.

"When I was a young man, I liked to race my horse...." -
G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
MortimerSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 10:39 PM   #35
grant22
Gnarly Adventurer

That is correct as far as I know. I've heard of breakage as a result of mounting the bike while the side stand is down, too.

Some items are must do items. Some items are just popular to buy due to the hype.
Old 11-01-2013, 05:29 AM   #36
Apple Jam
Forest Flyer

Oddometer: 6,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortimerSickle View Post
Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think a hit to the mounting area is what causes case breakage. I think a hit to the kickstand itself is the hazard. That would put a lot of leverage on the mount, covered or not.
You are correct, Mort.
That's what broke mine. The 2" long bolt flanges coming off the motor that the SS bolts to are the issue. Hit the sidestand on a rock and it will crack (at best) the base of the flange at the motor's bottom or break it completely off, like mine did, leaving a 1" x 2" HOLE in my motor.

Buy the SS relocator. I like CJ's best.
...then that land should be open for public use" (peterman)
Apple Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 05:38 AM   #37
LocuL
Gnarly Infantry

Oddometer: 1,225
Regarding the sand and damper i wouldnīt do it at first.

These behemoths are very stable at speed in the sand and if you get the front end dialed so it wonīt dive as much you are good to go with out. The very long wheel base contribute to this stability.
When that is said i still ride with my scotts damper. I bought the system in the early farkel years in beliefs that itīs 100% necessary. On semi loose sand you xan seriously sit down(speeds above 60-70 km/h) and ride the bike with 1 hand. As if they were designed for sand/offroad thingy :-)

I havenīt read it all but try not to mount every protective thing in world on this bike. I donīt see the need of tank bars. The tanks them self are designed to take some hits. Evidently they will fail if hit hard enough, then look up ebay and get a pair for very few dollars. A good bashplate would be good for the rocky trip.
Sidestand relocation, do it.

Ride it and put your own impression on it and then look into the farkels again.

best regards
Mikael
Old 11-02-2013, 06:38 PM   #38
RememberTheFallen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 374
Since this thread is already going I got an orange noob question too.

How many miles would you all consider too much on a used bike? 25k? 35k? 50k? I know Pyndon got 100k on his but I do not have the mechanical skills or extreme attention to detail he does. So what number would scare you away if you were looking at a used bike and did not want to spend a bunch on repairs in the near future? Thanks.

Joe
RememberTheFallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 10:31 PM   #39
grant22
Gnarly Adventurer

TOTALLY depends on the owner of the bike.

That being said, a ktm with 30k miles will possibly be more problematic than a jap bike with 30k miles (after all other factors are the same).
Old 11-03-2013, 02:49 AM   #40
Gustavo.Ramos
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 782
Dig as much information from the seller as possibible. There are 10k miles bike in much worse condition than some with 50k.

Raid de L'Amitié 2011 RR (link)
690R
Gustavo.Ramos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 06:24 PM   #41
Brown Town OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 195
Thanks for all the info guys. Can't wait to get her!
Old 11-03-2013, 11:17 PM   #42
pdxmotorhead
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 663
I'd rather have a bike ridden hard but taken care of with 30K, than a 15K bike that's been ignored, lugged all over at 2500rpm and never gotten the cylinders broken in.. .. With any proper level of care and feeding these motors should run well towards 50K with little trouble..

Use good oil.
Clean the air filter.
Keep the bike reasonably clean (Bearings forks etc..)

No reason the engine should need anything more than a water pump seal..

It would be interesting to compare the KTM cost of ownership to any Japanese bike that makes 100HP per liter.. Not many that ridden offroad,
so I guess you'd have to look at the fireblades and gxr's that get serious track time.

Cheers
Dave
Old 11-04-2013, 05:47 PM   #43
Brown Town OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Any suggestions for suspension upgrade... superplush or konflict revalve/respring? Ohlin$?
Old 11-04-2013, 06:05 PM   #44
Brown Town OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxmotorhead View Post
i'd rather have a bike ridden hard but taken care of with 30k, than a 15k bike that's been ignored, lugged all over at 2500rpm and never gotten the cylinders broken in...
+1
Old 11-04-2013, 06:29 PM   #45
grant22
Gnarly Adventurer

I did super plush and have been beyond happy. Literal night and day difference and the best 8 ball I've spent on that bike.

I think if you'll be offroading ANY suspension shop will improve your bike. All I know is super plush nailed mine.