User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2013, 09:37 AM   #1
DOD OP
idiot dirt rider

Oddometer: 2,228
packing a nice camera

A question for the serious photographers. How do you pack a nice camera on an adventure bike?

By nice I mean a D800 with a couple of lenses. I have the equipment for my work but I'm afraid to carry it on the bike. The camera gear is worth more than my motorcycle.

If there is a better place to post this let me know and I'll nuke it and start over.

Thanks,
dod
Old 10-28-2013, 09:42 AM   #2
GoGoGavin41
Isn't this that guy?

Oddometer: 747
If we're actively shooting, we keep it in the tank bag with a t-shirt or something wrapped around it. No shooting (read: slabbing), we keep it in a well padded camera bag in on of the panniers.

There are always these, but you could almost buy another motorcycle for that much money haha
GoGoGavin41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:45 AM   #3
VEGASGSA
Banned

Oddometer: 6,643
I have a Lowe Slingshot..then pack that in top of one of panniers..

Look to Touratech as well...http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/P...tection-insert

The other thing I did..was switch to Pentax...K-30.. water proof, dust proof..shock proof..yes it's only aspc..but has been a great kit so far..

There is an inmate here..40 Mile Desert Rat..tons of highly regarded photos..was my riding partner when I lived in Vegas..shoots a second or third generation Olympus..beats around in a tank bag..the stuff is a lot more rugged than we think..that camera probably has in excess of 75,000 miles on it...
VEGASGSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:57 AM   #4
stucknarut
Uh oh...

Oddometer: 158
I don't take many pics on land, but I do bring my dSLR on dive trips for underwater and eco tourism. For travel a padded pelican case has never done me wrong, has survived being dropped, kicked, banged around a boat in choppy seas, and dropped overboard. When hiking it's in a sling backpack, have carried it on a few rides that way too.
stucknarut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 10:12 AM   #5
stucknarut
Uh oh...

Oddometer: 158
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=844885
stucknarut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 11:14 AM   #6
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,193
Canon 5D and 2-3 objectives in a tank bag. Haven't tried crashing with that setup, though...
Old 10-28-2013, 03:49 PM   #7
Andy-Gadget
Any bike can go anywere

Oddometer: 1,316
Pelican 1200 case, modified by fitting two stainless shackles to the hing side webs, to allow it to be strapped on with access to the insides at any time.
I live in Tasmania, the "Pacific northwet" of Australia, so keeping good gear dry is both a challenge and a necessity.

'95 Sport 1100 Guzzi,'84 Cali 2 Guzzi, '95 Guzzi mille, '84 R65LS, '84 R100, '82 R100RS, '05 DL650, '72 Bultaco Sherpa T 350, '78 Montessa 348, "00 XR650R
Andy-Gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 04:59 PM   #8
DOD OP
idiot dirt rider

I like the Pelican case idea. Both my bikes are equipped with soft bags and minimal racks so a rigid case would provide nice protection.

Thanks for the input.

-dod
Old 10-28-2013, 05:24 PM   #9
torags
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,429
You can't get quick access with Pelicans. It has to be in the tank bag

I cut a 1" foam rubber bottom for my tank bag (it mitigates more of the shock); for my D700 & 70/200. The balance (2nd body + lenses) for long tours are in a Thinktank Urban light bungeed over my pass seat for quick access.

'07 HD XR 883R Sportster "Widow Maker"///Gone!
IBA #17225
torags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 06:11 PM   #10
Andy-Gadget
Any bike can go anywere

Oddometer: 1,316
You are correct about access, but my bias is more towards keeping it dry while reasonably accessible, I started out with the tank bag way, and after killing a chemical SLR from moisture I went to the first of my Pelican cases.

My solution for spontaneous photos is to carry a Canon D20 waterproof (and dust, shock and freeze proof) point and shoot in the tank bag or in my riding jacket.
If the shot is worth getting out my Canon G12, I will be off the bike anyway.

Bottom line, unless tank bags have improved substantially, is they aren't dry enough for a good camera, IMHO.

BTW, I lent the older Pelican 1400 case to a mate to use on his GS in the South Island of NZ, and he binned the bike bigtime, with the 1400 case coping most of the abuse, to the point of it now having no ribs left on the lid, but the digital SLR and lenses inside were unharmed, it is still completely waterpoof and it protected the rest of his gear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by torags View Post
You can't get quick access with Pelicans. It has to be in the tank bag

I cut a 1" foam rubber bottom for my tank bag (it mitigates more of the shock); for my D700 & 70/200. The balance (2nd body + lenses) for long tours are in a Thinktank Urban light bungeed over my pass seat for quick access.

'95 Sport 1100 Guzzi,'84 Cali 2 Guzzi, '95 Guzzi mille, '84 R65LS, '84 R100, '82 R100RS, '05 DL650, '72 Bultaco Sherpa T 350, '78 Montessa 348, "00 XR650R

Andy-Gadget screwed with this post 10-28-2013 at 06:17 PM
Andy-Gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 10:07 AM   #11
mefadv
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 712
My 2cents...
I generally travel with multiple cameras when space permits, Quads, Ranger or Jeep.
When on two wheels I generally carry a Canon D30 with a 28x300 lens in a older LowePro TLZ2 case. It is easy to tie using existing d-rings & or straps. Easy access and adjustable supports to somewhat cradle the camera/lens.
However most of my xr4 RR images are captured with a pocket size canon Elph style camera that is always in my shirt pocket or in my 'possibles bag" (cowboy slang) behind my headlight.
Old 10-29-2013, 05:24 PM   #12
D R
----

Oddometer: 466
I suppose how you pack and carry your camera gear will depend on the motorcycle and how you have it outfitted. I carry my DSLR, along with a point and shoot camera and my GoPro gear, in a padded camera case and place it in the right side hard case of my R1200RT. All my other gear is packed into the left side case, a Motofizz bag (strapped across the rear seat), a tank bag, top case and lastly an Ortlieb Dry Bag strapped to the rack on the top of my top case.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:55 PM   #13
ACR
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Pelicans

The Pelican case has to be one of the greatest inventions for ADV photographers. Last week was the first time I've strapped the case to the bike, used a little section of that grippy stuff found in the drawers of a toolbox, place between rack and pelican case, attached with 2 rok straps, good to go! The case didn't budge, but used a gear tie, from the case to the rack (as a fail safe), just in case.

I'd like to eventually mount the case to the rack, and do away with the straps.

By the way, how do you like the D800?

ACR screwed with this post 10-30-2013 at 08:29 AM Reason: Amnesia
ACR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:59 PM   #14
DOD OP
idiot dirt rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACR View Post

By the way, how do you like the D800?
This is more like my ride. Soft bags and a small rack.

The D800 is a great camera. I love the resolution and the metering is a huge improvement over my previous camera.

Thanks for the input.

-dod
Old 10-30-2013, 09:10 PM   #15
jay.money
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 214
I use a small pelican permanently mounted where my top box would be. Put the foam in when packing camera gear, pull it out when I want general stuff. That said, I get by on most of my travels with the panniers and the space behind my ass for luggage.
jay.money is online now   Reply With Quote