ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2013, 06:17 PM   #136
jtwest
Redneck Adventererer

Oddometer: 2,690
I have enough of a hard time not squashing my carrier pigeon
Old 11-15-2013, 02:01 AM   #137
Newview
Dusty Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
New off road rider

Howdy, I am new to Phoenix, new to this great ADV site, and a new rider with a new bike. Now what do I do?

I moved here from Keller, Tx with my 18 year old son, I have much family here but not one of them rides. I had a street bike (V45 Magna) 20 years ago but have not been on a motorcycle since. In September A guy at work let me ride his 650 Vstrom for 5 minutes in the parking lot and I went crazy. I just then remembered how incredibly, stupendously fun riding a motorcycle is.

I have always wanted to learn off road riding and I thought well, its now or never. I took the MSF course, got my endorsement, bought a motorcycle and then crashed in a rocky sand wash under some power lines by my house a couple hours after I got it. It was fun.

Now my left arm is healed (my right hand is still a little numb) and I bought safety gear from head to toe. Now I am taking it easy, riding when ever I can and reading and watching videos to learn proper riding. I fixed my little CRF 250L with duct tape and zip ties and its all going very well. I tried to upload a photo but will have to get advice on that, did not seem to work.

Anyway, it would be great to meet up with some of you guys for a little ride some time. I am very serious about getting better and upgrading to more of an adventure bike when my skills improve. I have learned a lot about riding, attitude and maintenance from reading all the great posts here. I feel lucky to have stumbled upon this site. Thanks to all and hope to meet some day.

New guy with a new motorcycle and new view on life.
Old 11-15-2013, 07:12 AM   #138
SteelWind
Impossible Aventurer

Oddometer: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview View Post
Howdy, I am new to Phoenix, new to this great ADV site, and a new rider with a new bike. Now what do I do?

I moved here from Keller, Tx with my 18 year old son, I have much family here but not one of them rides. I had a street bike (V45 Magna) 20 years ago but have not been on a motorcycle since. In September A guy at work let me ride his 650 Vstrom for 5 minutes in the parking lot and I went crazy. I just then remembered how incredibly, stupendously fun riding a motorcycle is.

I have always wanted to learn off road riding and I thought well, its now or never. I took the MSF course, got my endorsement, bought a motorcycle and then crashed in a rocky sand wash under some power lines by my house a couple hours after I got it. It was fun.

Now my left arm is healed (my right hand is still a little numb) and I bought safety gear from head to toe. Now I am taking it easy, riding when ever I can and reading and watching videos to learn proper riding. I fixed my little CRF 250L with duct tape and zip ties and its all going very well. I tried to upload a photo but will have to get advice on that, did not seem to work.

Anyway, it would be great to meet up with some of you guys for a little ride some time. I am very serious about getting better and upgrading to more of an adventure bike when my skills improve. I have learned a lot about riding, attitude and maintenance from reading all the great posts here. I feel lucky to have stumbled upon this site. Thanks to all and hope to meet some day.

Welcome Newview!! I am somewhat new to the area as well. I haven't quite found optimal places to trail ride, but have found some decent trail riding up near Wickenburg. Message me sometime for a weekend ride and we'll go. So far I don't have any riding plans this weekend. I am clear the hell out west in Buckeye though.
Old 11-15-2013, 07:14 AM   #139
SteelWind
Impossible Aventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtwest View Post
I have enough of a hard time not squashing my carrier pigeon
LOL!!!! Yeah it sucks when he keeps trying to fly off the handlebar mount.
Old 11-15-2013, 08:57 AM   #140
mefadv OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 781
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR650SEDDY View Post
I also find the Spot unit a good helper in finding new route. As get lost (during recon for a certain ride) and decided to back track, my Spot will locate that exact same point where I got lost. Later on when I examine that location on my PC and where it can lead you to, I'll built a new route from where I got lost, and go recon again and so forth. Just a thought.
Totally agree Eddy... It's not always easy to make great riding loops. Takes some research...
... and then there is always that mysteriously locked gate to spoil things
mefadv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 11:11 AM   #141
DR650SEDDY
ride2discover

Oddometer: 3,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by mefadv View Post
Totally agree Eddy... It's not always easy to make great riding loops. Takes some research...
Research, go find it and navigate as u ride... But once it's done it would be worth it.
Quote:
and then there is always that mysteriously locked gate to spoil things
That's part of the adv (the scary part) as long as we don't get shot by a trigger happy moron.
Quote:

I moved here from Keller, Tx with my 18 year old son, I have much family here but not one of them rides. .
Welcome NV most riders here are like family, they look up for u and you'll appreciate their company. Just make sure u buy them beer and chicken wings at the pit stop other wise you'll be left behind.... No no no I am just kidding man, AZ ridez are the coolest. Keep ur eye on the forum for the next ride or if someone comes up with something. Be safe & Ride AGATT ...
Old 11-15-2013, 12:28 PM   #142
scottcolbath
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,868
Quote:
... and then there is always that mysteriously locked gate to spoil things
I say it's not a bad idea to bring some bolt cutters on rides, and when encountering a locked gate which should not be, just cut that thing. Just make sure you close the gate after you pass through.

S.C.
scottcolbath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 01:04 PM   #143
cyberdos
Easy Bonus Loop

Oddometer: 25,370
They sell really nice small ones that can double as a tire changing crutch at HF.
Old 11-15-2013, 04:02 PM   #144
jtwest
Redneck Adventererer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelWind View Post
LOL!!!! Yeah it sucks when he keeps trying to fly off the handlebar mount.
I gave up on the RAM mounts made for pigeons. Now I just shove them in my backpack wrapped in chickenwire and zipties.
Old 11-15-2013, 04:18 PM   #145
IBRiding
Forever Grateful

Oddometer: 601
Quote:

Newview,

Join us on this ride if you can.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=933200

And welcom to ADV!!!

Bill
IBRiding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 04:26 PM   #146
mefadv OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 781
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtwest View Post
I gave up on the RAM mounts made for pigeons. Now I just shove them in my backpack wrapped in chickenwire and zipties.
JT, Changing the subject... if there was a subject!
How did your sweetie do at her Opening... I was in the bowel's of the Valley most of the last two weeks. Lot's of Art openings/events but did not get to Legacy except for one delivery early in the week.
Glad all that dress'n-up stuff is over for a while.
Hope to get back on the trail lots the next few weeks. Not just these li'l trips but some all day fun.
mefadv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 04:49 PM   #147
jtwest
Redneck Adventererer

Quote:
JT, Changing the subject... if there was a subject!
How did your sweetie do at her Opening... I was in the bowel's of the Valley most of the last two weeks. Lot's of Art openings/events but did not get to Legacy except for one delivery early in the week.
Glad all that dress'n-up stuff is over for a while.
Hope to get back on the trail lots the next few weeks. Not just these li'l trips but some all day fun.
We had some fun going down there to see all the works. She was a little disheartend mostly because they said they wanted to use her piece for an ad in a newspaper but then didnt. No awards or recognition but she realizes there is lots of competition in scottsdale so shes moving on to other works of art.
Old 11-15-2013, 05:02 PM   #148
Newview
Dusty Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBRiding View Post
Newview,

Join us on this ride if you can.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=933200

And welcom to ADV!!!

Bill
Thanks for the invite. I am sorry I can't make it. I work retail and have two weekends per month off and this is not one of them. I am off the 23rd and 24th if there is anything going on then please count me in. If anybody goes out on weekdays I have a Monday and Tuesday and a Thursday and Friday off every month. I live near Happy Valley and Lake Pleasant, if any one is out this way.

Thanks again,Rob
Old 11-15-2013, 05:26 PM   #149
jtwest
Redneck Adventererer

Quote:
Thanks for the invite. I am sorry I can't make it. I work retail and have two weekends per month off and this is not one of them. I am off the 23rd and 24th if there is anything going on then please count me in. If anybody goes out on weekdays I have a Monday and Tuesday and a Thursday and Friday off every month. I live near Happy Valley and Lake Pleasant, if any one is out this way.

Thanks again,Rob
Not far from me and I have an everchanging schedules. Usually off mondays. I havent been feeling well lately and have some repairs to make but we can meet up.
Theres a little motorcycle park not far from you. Boring but might be good practice.
Old 11-15-2013, 06:46 PM   #150
SteelWind
Impossible Aventurer

So...

Is anyone going riding tomorrow that is not going on the Montana Mtn. ride? Just curious...