ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2013, 07:02 PM   #151
jtwest
Redneck Adventererer

Oddometer: 2,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelWind View Post
Is anyone going riding tomorrow that is not going on the Montana Mtn. ride? Just curious...
Me!!!
Old 11-15-2013, 07:48 PM   #152
Azdualsport
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Newview

[QUOTE=Newview;22783345]Howdy, I am new to Phoenix, new to this great ADV site, and a new rider with a new bike. Now what do I do?

I'm also new to the site and live in north phx not far from you. As an AZ native not new to phx. Grew up riding on the dirt then moved to street as I got older. As luck would have it, one night a car crossed the center line up in Prescott and struck me head on. Wont go into details about the wreck but 20 years later I find myself on a Suzuki dr200 and love it:)

Just did the Bloody basin to sheep bridge last weekend and would love to ride more trails like that. Was just reading about Montana Mountain but will be out of town for a week or so. I posted in the meetup group but didn't have any luck finding anyone to go so went solo. I'm not ready for hard core bash my bike & body rides but into more sightseeing and enjoying the dirt ride. Was pretty nervous going solo my first time out and would love to have company in the future.

I have a rack on the back of my truck to transport the bike so I don't mind driving to a good ride.

travis
Azdualsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 01:24 PM   #153
jtwest
Redneck Adventererer

N.W. of Phoenix ADV Riders

Steelwinds addiction to challenges took him almost to the top of Hospital hill today

jtwest screwed with this post 11-16-2013 at 05:00 PM
jtwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 09:33 PM   #154
Newview
Dusty Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Thanks for invite

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtwest View Post
Not far from me and I have an everchanging schedules. Usually off mondays. I havent been feeling well lately and have some repairs to make but we can meet up.
Theres a little motorcycle park not far from you. Boring but might be good practice.
Thanks jt, I will take you up on the offer whenever your ready. I am off 23rd and 24th could go either day. Are you talking about boulders OHV area? I have not been there yet but have read about it online. Or if there are any other rides planned for the weekend somewhere better, please let me know.

I still don't have any flat repair equipment yet. Wondering if I should just get a bottle of slime and a pump or patch kit and tools. I was out around Lake Pleasant by myself and it suddenly dawned on me, what the heck am I supposed to do if I get a flat. Like I said I am new and have a lot to learn about riding and the gear I need. Also I only have about a 125 mile range, need to figure out best way to carry extra fuel.
Old 11-16-2013, 09:44 PM   #155
DurtKlod
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview View Post
I still don't have any flat repair equipment yet. Wondering if I should just get a bottle of slime and a pump or patch kit and tools. I was out around Lake Pleasant by myself and it suddenly dawned on me, what the heck am I supposed to do if I get a flat.
Flats happen. This was taken at the north end of Lake Pleasant just off the main road... be prepared. It's not a matter of IF, it's WHEN. I run slime now and have not had a flat in quite a while.

Old 11-16-2013, 10:10 PM   #156
Newview
Dusty Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR650SEDDY View Post
Welcome NV most riders here are like family, they look up for u and you'll appreciate their company. Just make sure u buy them beer and chicken wings at the pit stop other wise you'll be left behind.... No no no I am just kidding man, AZ ridez are the coolest. Keep ur eye on the forum for the next ride or if someone comes up with something. Be safe & Ride AGATT ...
Hi and thanks for the welcome. I will keep a weather eye out for any upcoming rides. And as the new guy I don't have any problem buying a beer for you experienced guys riding back up. I hope to get out on a ride soon. I have been to Table Mesa road and out around Lake Pleasant and thats about it so far. I am off the 23rd and 24th if there is any one going out then.
Old 11-17-2013, 06:46 AM   #157
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,520
Newview for me a spare tube 21 usually works front or back & I have the best bicycle pump the bike shop sells & it's small & works well. Tire irons & you should be fine. As for extra gas I am always a fan of a larger tank. Just seems safer?
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 08:58 PM   #158
Newview
Dusty Adventurer

Az Tom and Mr Klod,

Thanks for the advice and tips. My goal before I ride this weekend will be to equip myself with flat tire repair accessories. I hope some of you guys are going out next weekend for a day ride so I can tag along. Maybe I will even be lucky enough to get a flat tire so I can test out my new gear. Unfortunately, I have already tested out my safety gear quite a bit.
Old 11-17-2013, 09:23 PM   #159
Kevinsterner
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by DurtKlod View Post
Flats happen. This was taken at the north end of Lake Pleasant just off the main road... be prepared. It's not a matter of IF, it's WHEN. I run slime now and have not had a flat in quite a while.

Durtklod. Your picture reminded me I did have slime in my KLR. Got some today and put it in. It is good insurance.
1981 Honda 750 F,1972 Yamaha 250, 1971 Hodaka
you can't fix stupid.
Kevinsterner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 09:27 PM   #160
Kevinsterner
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 308
Quote:
Thanks jt, I will take you up on the offer whenever your ready. I am off 23rd and 24th could go either day. Are you talking about boulders OHV area? I have not been there yet but have read about it online. Or if there are any other rides planned for the weekend somewhere better, please let me know.

I still don't have any flat repair equipment yet. Wondering if I should just get a bottle of slime and a pump or patch kit and tools. I was out around Lake Pleasant by myself and it suddenly dawned on me, what the heck am I supposed to do if I get a flat. Like I said I am new and have a lot to learn about riding and the gear I need. Also I only have about a 125 mile range, need to figure out best way to carry extra fuel.
If this Rob, the honda you bought from me has slime in the tubes. Got your email. Just checking my schedule.
1981 Honda 750 F,1972 Yamaha 250, 1971 Hodaka
you can't fix stupid.
Kevinsterner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 06:29 AM   #161
DOD
idiot dirt rider

Oddometer: 2,233
Quote:
Az Tom and Mr Klod,

Thanks for the advice and tips. My goal before I ride this weekend will be to equip myself with flat tire repair accessories. I hope some of you guys are going out next weekend for a day ride so I can tag along. Maybe I will even be lucky enough to get a flat tire so I can test out my new gear. Unfortunately, I have already tested out my safety gear quite a bit.
MINIMUM list:
spare front tube
patch kit
air pump of some sort (I carry a bicycle pump and CO2 cartridges)
tire irons

There are some good threads on this site addressing tool kits and survival gear. There is also an excellent video on how to change a tire by Neduro. I dont have the link. Carry lots of water.

Welcome to the asylum. You're in for a good time.

-dod
Old 11-18-2013, 07:03 AM   #162
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,520
[QUOTE=Newview;22803722]Az Tom and Mr Klod,

Mr Klod You gotta luv it
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 07:53 AM   #163
jtwest
Redneck Adventererer

N.W. of Phoenix ADV Riders

Anyone up for a short ride today?
Old 11-18-2013, 08:00 AM   #164
scottcolbath
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,620
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtwest View Post
Anyone up for a short ride today?
I was considering pushing my 640 from one side of the garage to the other.

S.C.
scottcolbath is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 08:05 AM   #165
jtwest
Redneck Adventererer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottcolbath View Post
I was considering pushing my 640 from one side of the garage to the other.

S.C.
Hhhmmm. Email me the GPX file and I'll see if I can do it.