ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-18-2013, 10:50 AM   #166
DR650SEDDY
ride2discover
 
DR650SEDDY's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Phoenix,Az
Oddometer: 3,875
Quote:
Originally Posted by DurtKlod View Post
Flats happen.. I run slime now and have not had a flat in quite a while.

Me too, me too ,.

Quote:
I still don't have any flat repair equipment yet. Wondering if I should just get a bottle of slime and a pump or patch kit and tools
Newview I personally don't like to use slime just replace the inner tube. I usually carry 2 with me, 3 tire irons, small can of wd40 make the tire easy to work with when putting it back on the rim (especially if u have one of these heavy sidewall off-rd tires). I got me a new 12V air pump from Wal-Mart. AZTom got a very good bicycle pump that work magic. A back up patch kit won't hurt to have.
__________________
DR-Z440E 00 - DR650SE 02.
Je ne suis Jamais a l'aise que lorsque je termine mon parcours, parlant d'Enduro bien sure. "DR650sEDDY".
DR650SEDDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 11:29 AM   #167
mefadv OP
Studly Adventurer
 
mefadv's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Wickenburg AZ
Oddometer: 781
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR650SEDDY View Post
Me too, me too ,.

Newview I personally don't like to use slime just replace the inner tube. I usually carry 2 with me, 3 tire irons, small can of wd40 make the tire easy to work with when putting it back on the rim (especially if u have one of these heavy sidewall off-rd tires). I got me a new 12V air pump from Wal-Mart. AZTom got a very good bicycle pump that work magic. A back up patch kit won't hurt to have.

Eddy forgot mention he has everything with him... his bike weights 300lb he weighs 200lb and then the 200lb of stuff attached to him or his bike. Ohh yes, a great guy to have along.

I use SLIME and would not consider otherwise. As I like fixing flats (not really) back at the shop! Just carry a hand-pump along for air adjustments as needed.
__________________
Mark, a Misplaced Farm Boy....
XR400, plated
TL250, plated
mefadv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 11:38 AM   #168
mefadv OP
Studly Adventurer
 
mefadv's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Wickenburg AZ
Oddometer: 781
Quote:
Originally Posted by mefadv View Post
Time for a new rear tire as the old-meat was getting kinda slippery in the little rocks. What to get???
Running Pirelli MT21, a DOT tire, front & rear. These replaced a pair of D606 back in June of 2012. The D606 were very hard and I found the front washed-out badly and the back started chunking very badly at 25% wear.
Changed to the MT21s and was pleased from the beginning. Now 4200 miles later it was time for a re-rubber. So I went back to the MT21s as they had served my type of riding well. Of the 4200 miles I can honestly say less than 1000 miles was on pavement. The rear tire wore cleanly and no chunking, several rock cuts but nothing extreme. No flats on the rear. Front tire has worn oddly and a couple of the side knobs are nearly missing. Have had 5 flats with the front tire. I generally run 12lb to 14lbs front & rear.
Just my 2 cent review on the Pirelli MT21s...


Newview... did you notice this... SLIME the entire life of tire. 17months & 4200 miles.
I was able to ride the 5 flats on the front back to the shop for tube replacement.
__________________
Mark, a Misplaced Farm Boy....
XR400, plated
TL250, plated
mefadv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 11:45 AM   #169
DR650SEDDY
ride2discover
 
DR650SEDDY's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Phoenix,Az
Oddometer: 3,875
Quote:
Originally Posted by mefadv View Post
he weighs 200lb and then the 200lb of stuff attached to him or his bike. Ohh yes, a great guy to have along.
Thanks Mark kindly, You just boosted me an extra 15lb ... I am still at 185, like to go down to 175 so I can add a small 10lb microwave to the bike...
__________________
DR-Z440E 00 - DR650SE 02.
Je ne suis Jamais a l'aise que lorsque je termine mon parcours, parlant d'Enduro bien sure. "DR650sEDDY".
DR650SEDDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 11:48 AM   #170
mefadv OP
Studly Adventurer
 
mefadv's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Wickenburg AZ
Oddometer: 781
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtwest View Post
Anyone up for a short ride today?
JT you should have texted me... I left the shop about 9:30, gone 6 hours traveled about 60 miles.
Was just cow-trailing most of the time. Found some very interesting places. Had to turn around three times as the rocks were tooo big. (Will investigate further soon on the Quad as it would make a great loop).




However you did miss this little feller!
He was certainly play'n-a-tune for me. Really pissed him off when I nearly ran over him.
__________________
Mark, a Misplaced Farm Boy....
XR400, plated
TL250, plated
mefadv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 11:51 AM   #171
mefadv OP
Studly Adventurer
 
mefadv's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Wickenburg AZ
Oddometer: 781
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR650SEDDY View Post
Thanks Mark kindly, You just boosted me an extra 15lb ... I am still at 185, like to go down to 175 so I can add a small 10lb microwave to the bike...
Ooops Sorry Eddy, I was thinking of my fat-ass!
__________________
Mark, a Misplaced Farm Boy....
XR400, plated
TL250, plated
mefadv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 01:13 PM   #172
jtwest
Redneck Adventererer
 
jtwest's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Wickenburg, AZ
Oddometer: 2,663
Quote:
Originally Posted by mefadv View Post
JT you should have texted me... I left the shop about 9:30, gone 6 hours traveled about 60 miles.
Was just cow-trailing most of the time. Found some very interesting places. Had to turn around three times as the rocks were tooo big. (Will investigate further soon on the Quad as it would make a great loop).




However you did miss this little feller!
He was certainly play'n-a-tune for me. Really pissed him off when I nearly ran over him.
Sounds like it wouldve been too much for me anyway. Still a little under the weather. I was just thinking a couple hours
__________________
I have 3 glasses that are all a third full, 5 half birds in the bush and the one in my hand keeps biting me!!
jtwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 02:40 PM   #173
refokus
Just Learning
 
refokus's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: North Phoenix
Oddometer: 2,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtwest View Post
Sounds like it wouldve been too much for me anyway. Still a little under the weather. I was just thinking a couple hours
Where? and what time? and where too?
__________________
"Single Trac is like Scotch, you have to aquire a taste for it!"
refokus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 07:14 PM   #174
Newview
Dusty Adventurer
 
Newview's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2013
Location: North Phoenix
Oddometer: 73
Thanks Guys

Thanks for all the tips guys. Kevin S. (the member who I bought my bike from) just reminded me that the tubes are already slimed. No wonder I have not had a flat or even a slow leak. Yes, I know I can still get a flat even with slime.

I just got back from the store with a 12v air pump that works great. I let most of the air out of my back tire and pumped it up to 28psi in about 3-4 minutes. Hopefully it will get me down the road unless the tube is completely blown. I have a small hand pump from my mountain bike that I tried out and it also works well. Thanks again. Next I have to find a wrench that fits my axle nuts. I must have 40 wrenches but none fit.
__________________
"He who waits for a dead mans shoes, ends up going barefoot."
Newview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 07:25 PM   #175
Newview
Dusty Adventurer
 
Newview's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2013
Location: North Phoenix
Oddometer: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by mefadv View Post
Newview... did you notice this... SLIME the entire life of tire. 17months & 4200 miles.
I was able to ride the 5 flats on the front back to the shop for tube replacement.
Sounds good to me. I will go with it (slime) until it lets me down. By the way the tire on the right has more tread left on it than both of mine put together. How much do you want for it?
__________________
"He who waits for a dead mans shoes, ends up going barefoot."
Newview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 08:36 AM   #176
EsconDeasy
Ectomorph
 
EsconDeasy's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Oddometer: 1,463
Guys,
I am hosting a dual sport ride from the Morristown post office to Harquahala peak on Tuesday, Dec 10. Mostly dirt roads with some sand wash and the summit road which can get steep and loose. I am bringing my XR650L, so you know it's not real technical.
Bikes should have 100 miles of range. We will stop in Aguila for lunch and fuel. Usually takes most of the day to do the ride. About 160 miles total.
Plan to be ready to ride at 8 at the Post Office.

Cancelling this ride.. Nobody wants to go out in the cold

EsconDeasy screwed with this post 12-09-2013 at 07:15 PM
EsconDeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 09:06 AM   #177
mefadv OP
Studly Adventurer
 
mefadv's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Wickenburg AZ
Oddometer: 781
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview View Post
Sounds good to me. I will go with it (slime) until it lets me down. By the way the tire on the right has more tread left on it than both of mine put together. How much do you want for it?
You can have the tire if you want it... 120/90-18
However I really do not think you want my take-off tire that only has 20% life remaining at the most. ...and it has been over some really crappy terrain. Just held up well
So you got Kevin's bike, you know it was only ridden on Sundays to church! Or was it every other Sunday???
Welcome to the gang.
__________________
Mark, a Misplaced Farm Boy....
XR400, plated
TL250, plated
mefadv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 09:33 AM   #178
mefadv OP
Studly Adventurer
 
mefadv's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Wickenburg AZ
Oddometer: 781
Quote:
Originally Posted by EsconDeasy View Post
Guys,
I am hosting a dual sport ride from the Morristown post office to Harquahala peak on Tuesday, Dec 10. Mostly dirt roads with some sand wash and the summit road which can get steep and loose. I am bringing my XR650L, so you know it's not real technical.
Bikes should have 100 miles of range. We will stop in Aguila for lunch and fuel. Usually takes most of the day to do the ride. About 160 miles total.
Plan to be ready to ride at 8 at the Post Office.
December 10th?
Will be in Vegas at the National Finals Rodeo festivities... Would really like to have tagged along.
I know of several ways to get to the Observatory staging area just curious as to which way your taking. Through Belmont Mountains circle back through Bighorn Mountain range? How do you get around the B.H.Wilderness area? Or just a straight path over to Eagle Eye Road to the staging area?
Have you been to the top since the summer rains? They had 10+ inches of rain in that area, I was last there in September.

Photo from start of concrete section. That's JTWest at the bottom on his KLR. That was far enough for him. Got pretty GNARLY in the switchbacks
The CAP may have graded it since then, but they mostly just use the helicopter to check their equipment.
Every time there is a ride in my area I'm away...
__________________
Mark, a Misplaced Farm Boy....
XR400, plated
TL250, plated
mefadv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 10:00 AM   #179
refokus
Just Learning
 
refokus's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: North Phoenix
Oddometer: 2,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by EsconDeasy View Post
Guys,
I am hosting a dual sport ride from the Morristown post office to Harquahala peak on Tuesday, Dec 10. Mostly dirt roads with some sand wash and the summit road which can get steep and loose. I am bringing my XR650L, so you know it's not real technical.
Bikes should have 100 miles of range. We will stop in Aguila for lunch and fuel. Usually takes most of the day to do the ride. About 160 miles total.
Plan to be ready to ride at 8 at the Post Office.
Is this the same ride you put together last year, or the year before? I remember reading a RR and looking at the photos and it looked like a great time. I wish I could make this ride, but I can't get out of work on this day as I already have a meeting scheduled.....

Have fun and I will be looking for the RR on this one
__________________
"Single Trac is like Scotch, you have to aquire a taste for it!"
refokus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 11:29 AM   #180
jtwest
Redneck Adventererer
 
jtwest's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Wickenburg, AZ
Oddometer: 2,663
Quote:
Originally Posted by mefadv View Post
December 10th?
Will be in Vegas at the National Finals Rodeo festivities... Would really like to have tagged along.
I know of several ways to get to the Observatory staging area just curious as to which way your taking. Through Belmont Mountains circle back through Bighorn Mountain range? How do you get around the B.H.Wilderness area? Or just a straight path over to Eagle Eye Road to the staging area?
Have you been to the top since the summer rains? They had 10+ inches of rain in that area, I was last there in September.

Photo from start of concrete section. That's JTWest at the bottom on his KLR. That was far enough for him. Got pretty GNARLY in the switchbacks
The CAP may have graded it since then, but they mostly just use the helicopter to check their equipment.
Every time there is a ride in my area I'm away...
Oh would you stop with the embarrassing pictures!
__________________
I have 3 glasses that are all a third full, 5 half birds in the bush and the one in my hand keeps biting me!!
jtwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014