ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2013, 01:51 PM   #241
jtwest
Redneck Adventererer

Oddometer: 2,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOD View Post
18, 19

On the calendar.

In!

-dod
Which bike would you be bringin?
Old 11-25-2013, 02:02 PM   #242
mefadv OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 778
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtwest View Post
This is what I drew. Those of you that know mapsource know its not an exact science. There may be Private property, boring, gated etc.
A loop wick to havasau and back in a day sounds a little boring to me. It would be 6 hrs round trip paved. 6 hours one way would be more adventurous to me. But then again I'm slow.
Can't help ya... on this route. Do not recognize much of it. Are you getting off 60 at Forepaugh or is that the route we took in the mud. The mud route is now locked both sides of the tracks, Forepaugh Cattle Co, gates are usually locked near the headquarters.
I believe Tom can show you a route N. of Alamo lake from hwy93 to get to Havasu City. Then perhaps return this route.
The BB day trip to Havasu I'm thinking of they were riding near 100 mph on the gravel road to Alamo. Boring!
My quickest 95% dirt route to the Wayside is near 3 hours, usually a 4 hour excursion. Swansea another 1+ hour and then my chart ends at the curve of the earth!
A lot of unknown in this big area... then add a few locked gates to make it interesting.
I have been scouting a over-night trip to Parker for nearly two years now. Still have not covered it all without running into problems of some sort, high water, locked gates, deep sand, trail washed away or whatever.
mefadv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 02:42 PM   #243
DurtKlod
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,365
Try this thread...

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...ghlight=havasu

The ride was postponed but a little down on the first page are GPS tracks with several variations.

Old 11-25-2013, 02:55 PM   #244
SteelWind
Impossible Aventurer

Oddometer: 78
Havasu...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DurtKlod View Post
Try this thread...

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...ghlight=havasu

The ride was postponed but a little down on the first page are GPS tracks with several variations.

I'm kind of liking the route you show that looks like goes through Bagdad, magenta, except use the dark blue route at the end depending on time and endurance. Then we can come back on the light blue. That looks like it's one hell of a fun weekend ride.
Old 11-25-2013, 03:37 PM   #245
jtwest
Redneck Adventererer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mefadv View Post
Can't help ya... on this route. Do not recognize much of it. Are you getting off 60 at Forepaugh or is that the route we took in the mud. The mud route is now locked both sides of the tracks, Forepaugh Cattle Co, gates are usually locked near the headquarters.
I believe Tom can show you a route N. of Alamo lake from hwy93 to get to Havasu City. Then perhaps return this route.
The BB day trip to Havasu I'm thinking of they were riding near 100 mph on the gravel road to Alamo. Boring!
My quickest 95% dirt route to the Wayside is near 3 hours, usually a 4 hour excursion. Swansea another 1+ hour and then my chart ends at the curve of the earth!
A lot of unknown in this big area... then add a few locked gates to make it interesting.
I have been scouting a over-night trip to Parker for nearly two years now. Still have not covered it all without running into problems of some sort, high water, locked gates, deep sand, trail washed away or whatever.
A road that you can go 100mph on esp BB sounds boring. If speed was my goal Id be on a rocket bike, curvy, paved. I think you may understand my meaning. I like it technical but not uncomfterbale. Thanks for the input. I agree with steelwind. Those trax have been done, several options, looks fun. Any input along the way would be helpful (except: "we're all gonna die!!!!")
Old 11-25-2013, 03:51 PM   #246
mefadv OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelWind View Post
I'm kind of liking the route you show that looks like goes through Bagdad, magenta, except use the dark blue route at the end depending on time and endurance. Then we can come back on the light blue. That looks like it's one hell of a fun weekend ride.

Yep that is the BB run I was talking about.
The Yarnell/Bagdad route will be good unless it's cold and/or snow'y.
Too much pavement for me on these routes, so I'm out.
I'll wait to get my mostly dirt Parker run together.
Old 11-25-2013, 04:37 PM   #247
jtwest
Redneck Adventererer

Quote:
I assumed itwas nearly all dirt. Im still lookin.
Old 11-25-2013, 04:47 PM   #248
jtwest
Redneck Adventererer

Quote:
I understand how you're looking at this from a see the scenery point of view but consider...
I've not been on one of these bomb runs, plus, my bike won't even go 100 on the pavement much less the dirt. However, 100 mph on the dirt sounds to me like anything but boring! I'll do MAX about 65-70 on the dirt and the whole time, I'm way more alert than if I were just plodding along BECAUSE, you've got to constantly be scanning ahead and to the sides for javelina, cows, horses, ditches, sand, washboards, ruts... etc. etc. etc. I think it is the adrenaline that comes with speed that is so addicting that makes it not boring.
Clear as mud?
I understand your reasoning, but the only reason Ill never have a rocket bike is any road a MC can go that fast on there will be morons driving cars, (granted I see them as being no different than cattle), and curves and humps. Not my pleasure. One of the few circumstances where Ill say "to each his own". Ive always been drawn to trials. Slow, balance, strategic. My cycle maxs around 90. I havent and dont want to go that fast.
Old 11-25-2013, 04:49 PM   #249
SteelWind
Impossible Aventurer

More twisty dirt roads please

Quote:
I was assuming this was mostly dirt as well. Still looking myself. I am looking for ADV roads not rocket bike/ bomb run roads. If you can go over 100mph on it, I would like to avoid it AMAP. However, if crossing at Alamo lake is going to be an issue I would think we have to push north or south of it. Me and JT have not explored this area too much. Any input is always appreciated. I'm confused also. If I look on google maps it looks like 90% of the roads to and from bagdad are twisty dirt roads may be paved dirt, but still twisty dirt roads? Can anyone clarify...
Old 11-25-2013, 04:55 PM   #250
mefadv OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelWind View Post
I was assuming this was mostly dirt as well. Still looking myself. I am looking for ADV roads not rocket bike/ bomb run roads. If you can go over 100mph on it, I would like to avoid it AMAP. However, if crossing at Alamo lake is going to be an issue I would think we have to push north or south of it. Me and JT have not explored this area too much. Any input is always appreciated. I'm confused also. If I look on google maps it looks like 90% of the roads to and from bagdad are twisty dirt roads may be paved dirt, but still twisty dirt roads? Can anyone clarify...
Paved... the red route is, guessing 60% paved. The light blue from Havasu is 45% paved.
Old 11-25-2013, 05:23 PM   #251
SteelWind
Impossible Aventurer

Quote:
Okay, fair enough... but yet,

You're looking to enter the races where the whole goal is to get around the course as fast as possible. Evidently you do share some of the same passions for speed and adrenaline as the rest of us... you just choose to chase this thrill in a more controlled environment without the occasional car and cow? Cool beans. As you so put it, "to each his own."
He is talking about enduro racing. The object is not always to get around the courseas fast as you can. I would bet an expert enduro racer averages around 30-35mph... (this is still an adrenaline rushed instinct based riding) in a very easy race that is. To a trials rider "fast" is somewhere between running and walking speed.

What JT is saying is that "fast" is relative to what territory you are riding, and he is choosy about the territory as we all are. 100MPH is fast for a curvy paved asphalt rode, but is not at all fast for a straight 50mile stretch of highway. And God forbid we have to ride our KLR's down a straight highway pinned at 85mph

SteelWind screwed with this post 11-25-2013 at 05:28 PM
SteelWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 06:43 PM   #252
jtwest
Redneck Adventererer

Quote:
Okay, fair enough... but yet,

You're looking to enter the races where the whole goal is to get around the course as fast as possible. Evidently you do share some of the same passions for speed and adrenaline as the rest of us... you just choose to chase this thrill in a more controlled environment without the occasional car and cow? Cool beans. As you so put it, "to each his own."
A that is a different scenario
B id never do MX, but id do enduro because of the possible cow (symbolic or literal)
Old 11-25-2013, 07:35 PM   #253
SteelWind
Impossible Aventurer

Quote:
..... argh, you know what? None of this matters. Go ride and have fun however you see fit. Good luck planning your ride. I hope you find a route that has minimal pavement.
Amen.... Havasu to Wick... role call...

JTwest
SteelWind
DOD
AZTom (I think that's what clappy hands meant???) Also, could use some help from you
Wordsworth (I think...)
2Spot (revised)
OldtimerTC (revised)

Well I hope more will eventually man up to it.

SteelWind screwed with this post 11-26-2013 at 06:45 AM
SteelWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 08:04 PM   #254
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,757
Yes in. Gone over TG will try & help when I get back. No Bagdad loop I promise
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 08:05 PM   #255
jtwest
Redneck Adventererer