ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2014, 03:43 PM   #1096
cyberdos
True Story Bro

Oddometer: 23,499
They purchased a bike. Thanks and good luck with selling yours. Wish I could.
Old 04-07-2014, 05:18 PM   #1097
mefadv OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 714
Hey JT does this little Bill Williams crossing make you feel cool all-over again ?

I could have tried this one... looked too deep and uncertain bottom! There were two others that also looked questionable

I preferred this one... It was too deep to wade across but had no trouble riding to the other side & back
However there were some very unfriendly trails getting here. I can safely say they would not be KLR friendly. I'm surprised the the XR4 is still not sitting in that deep silt-bed. A really shitty 1/4 mile I will not soon forget

Two nice days of riding over the weekend in the Alamo area. I'll do a full report in my Backyard Trek's link when I get the time.
Damn... I hate deep Silt & Sand & Water & Mud ! ! ! Well most everything that will "Swallow ya Whole".
Old 04-07-2014, 07:59 PM   #1098
Kevinsterner
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdos View Post
Does anyone here know anybody selling a DR650, KLR650 or XR650L that is rtw ready? I have a couple in my home right now from Italy and they want to take off on their trip around North and South America and haven't been able to find a bike yet. Please contact me if you know of anything. They are getting kind of desperate. Thanks.
Not sure what rtw ready is but I am selling my 2011 Husky TE 449 it is plated and ready to go.
1981 Honda 750 F,1972 Yamaha 250, 1971 Hodaka
you can't fix stupid.
Kevinsterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 09:04 PM   #1099
jtwest
Redneck Adventererer

Oddometer: 2,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by mefadv View Post
Hey JT does this little Bill Williams crossing make you feel cool all-over again ?

I could have tried this one... looked too deep and uncertain bottom! There were two others that also looked questionable

I preferred this one... It was too deep to wade across but had no trouble riding to the other side & back
However there were some very unfriendly trails getting here. I can safely say they would not be KLR friendly. I'm surprised the the XR4 is still not sitting in that deep silt-bed. A really shitty 1/4 mile I will not soon forget

Two nice days of riding over the weekend in the Alamo area. I'll do a full report in my Backyard Trek's link when I get the time.
Damn... I hate deep Silt & Sand & Water & Mud ! ! ! Well most everything that will "Swallow ya Whole".
Good ol' billy willy... We know each other well.
Still debating the KLR mateliness though. The KLR seems to make friends with all terrain I introduce her to. Then poop out at nothing. Maybe shes been drinking the high octane when nervous. Anxious to see the RR. I have some cool vids comin soon of the last few weekends.
Old 04-08-2014, 08:15 AM   #1100
mefadv OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtwest View Post
Good ol' billy willy... We know each other well.
Still debating the KLR mateliness though. The KLR seems to make friends with all terrain I introduce her to. Then poop out at nothing. Maybe shes been drinking the high octane when nervous. Anxious to see the RR. I have some cool vids comin soon of the last few weekends.

JT... Our ride to the Harquahala Mountain is my base-line for KLR friendly .
Believe me on that basis... about 10% of this South of Alamo trek would not be your friend. The Northern route, that I have ridden so far, would be OK with a few brief exceptions.
Old 04-08-2014, 03:31 PM   #1101
jtwest
Redneck Adventererer

Quote:
JT... Our ride to the Harquahala Mountain is my base-line for KLR friendly .
Believe me on that basis... about 10% of this South of Alamo trek would not be your friend. The Northern route, that I have ridden so far, would be OK with a few brief exceptions.
I do still think our harquie excursion was a bad example of rider/cycle capabilities. Id like to try again sometime. There were just so many things going against me. But Im not going to dwell just moving forward.
Old 04-08-2014, 05:20 PM   #1102
mefadv OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtwest View Post
I do still think our harquie excursion was a bad example of rider/cycle capabilities. Id like to try again sometime. There were just so many things going against me. But Im not going to dwell just moving forward.
Ok... Ok... No more reference to KLR friendly
It will now be DAMN "I wish I had not tried this route", on my old XR4.

A couple more days of research and I should have the Wickenburg to Parker "95% dirt" route put together. Hopefully in the early winter I'll put something together for you boys.
Ya can ride whatever you can push-pull-or-tug...
Old 04-08-2014, 06:12 PM   #1103
jtwest
Redneck Adventererer

Quote:
Ok... Ok... No more reference to KLR friendly
It will now be DAMN "I wish I had not tried this route", on my old XR4.

A couple more days of research and I should have the Wickenburg to Parker "95% dirt" route put together. Hopefully in the early winter I'll put something together for you boys.
Ya can ride whatever you can push-pull-or-tug...
I appreciate some point of reference but I am just not getting the comparison. All the media I find refers to the KLR as a 75% pave bike, most of the people I have met on KLRs ride them as such. Steelwind and I ride ours hard on some pretty tough stuff. As well, I have seen pictures of others doing the same. my opinion is that it handles it quite well for a 2.5k$, 400lb, heavy gas tanked, 27 hp, rear heavy, one gear short, headlight on the frame (man that pisses me off), poor suspension kind of bike.
Steelwinds opinion is: (dont quote me quoting him) "that was fun but boy did it do some damage!"
(Having low fork oil definately doesnt help, as in the case of "harquie")

our ride to havasu was a shockingly high ratio of dirt. and there was a dirt shot to parker. only pave we had was wick to Alamo rd, a very short (10 yrds) in the middle, and 2 miles south of havasu to havasu. Alamo rd was awful flat and dull so other options would be appreciated.
you leading next time?
Old 04-08-2014, 06:26 PM   #1104
elgato gordo
KTMRFS

Oddometer: 484
I can confirm you guys whoop those KLR's harder than any I've seen.

Seems like the KLR's had the shortest recovery time in our little swim across billy willy.
elgato gordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 06:38 PM   #1105
SteelWind
Impossible Aventurer

Oddometer: 77
Guess I'll interject

My opinion with my KLR is this...

It can ride like a dirt bike if you want it to (as I always have), but always be prepared for smahing things and loose screws. My bike reflects how I have ridden it, every scratch, or shattered plastic all was well worth the slick knarly rock climb that got it.

I don't know. There is not much that I wouldn't take the KLR on, but it's frustrating when you know that you can always outride the bikes capabilities. Of course there is always a too tight point for any bike...
Old 04-08-2014, 07:14 PM   #1106
DR650SEDDY
ride2discover

Oddometer: 3,789
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelWind View Post
My opinion with my KLR is this...

It can ride like a dirt bike if you want it to (as I always have), but always be prepared for smahing things and loose screws. My bike reflects how I have ridden it, every scratch, or shattered plastic all was well worth the slick knarly rock climb that got it.

I don't know. There is not much that I wouldn't take the KLR on, but it's frustrating when you know that you can always outride the bikes capabilities. Of course there is always a too tight point for any bike...
I knew one rider, Glenn, he was (still is) the KLR's master. I rode with him for few years. He took his bike capabilities beyond any limit. It would seems to him like he's on 125cc. On a condition that his bike was always loaded and prepared like I do. I wasn't able to do half of what he did on my DR650. He had the 6.6 gal tank too...

Find ur own trail.

Crossing over logs the technical way.

I learned so much from Glenn.
(Photos by NS) From my Organized Tour-2009 Grand Canyon Ride.
Old 04-09-2014, 05:17 AM   #1107
jtwest
Redneck Adventererer

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgato gordo View Post
I can confirm you guys whoop those KLR's harder than any I've seen.

Seems like the KLR's had the shortest recovery time in our little swim across billy willy.
I paid extra for the snorkel and fins attached.
Old 04-16-2014, 06:13 PM   #1108
Kevinsterner
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 308
Wagoner road from Crown King

I am looking at my topo map and I see Wagoner road goes from Crown King to Minnehha on to Wagoner and then to Kirkland Jct. It looks KLR friendly. Anyone been on this route??
1981 Honda 750 F,1972 Yamaha 250, 1971 Hodaka
you can't fix stupid.
Kevinsterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 06:27 PM   #1109
DurtKlod
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,296
I have. There's just a couple slightly challenging spots but overall, it's not too difficult. When you going? Want company?
Old 04-16-2014, 06:48 PM   #1110
trailscouter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Not bad at all. Used to be some fun stuff on Minihaha but it got graded. If you can get to Crown King from LP, you should have no problem making it to Kirkland Junction.

Be a little loose sand for a short stretch at the Walker cutoff.