Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2013, 06:59 PM   #91
1994klr250
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 531
Great pictures and it looks like you had some great weather for riding. How did you like the White Rim Trail? That's still on my list of places to ride.

1994 KLR250, 2009 F800GS, 2006 KLX351
1994klr250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 09:14 AM   #92
pozer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1994klr250 View Post
Great pictures and it looks like you had some great weather for riding. How did you like the White Rim Trail? That's still on my list of places to ride.
Personally I wouldn't make it a destination ride but as part of a larger adventure it was a nice side trip. Take a look at Rut Runner's trip reports that he posted in this same report; That looks a little more interesting to me. Possibly a little more remote as well.
pozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 09:49 AM   #93
pozer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

OK; lets finish off this day 2.
After a break for lunch the ride gets better; we meander through some high elevation plains, through some ranch land, cruise some double track ATV trails.
When all of a sudden everyone comes to a halt. All the Line Leaders are looking at their GPS's and trying to figure out their next plan as the topography for the next few miles looks sketchy and its beginning to rain.
I'm just on cruise at this point so when one Line Leader asks me which way I prefer to go I tell him;" I'm going whichever way my group wants to go". They all take a vote and decide its safer for our group to turn around and find another way to the highway.
The other group wants to stay the course and see this thing through just as it was planned from someone's computer Basemap in their home office.
So anyway; at this point the two micro groups split ways. I think from hearing some of the talk about the two groups different experiences after that point in the ride; each group was content with their decision. What follows are pictures and text of the group I rode with.
Old 11-06-2013, 09:51 AM   #94
pozer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

[IMG]http://dads-memories.smugmug.com/Colorado-day-2/i-Hf3gWDv/0/X2/DSCN4251-X2.jpg[/IMG

Old 11-06-2013, 10:07 AM   #95
pozer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

After we left the other group we got a little turned around as our GPS readings lead us down a road in a canyon that was washed out in years past. It was one of the best mini adventures of our trip so far. We worked our way through some tight brush to find ourselves foraging down a river bed. Finally we had to dismount and walk about a quarter mile to see if it was passable. Scouting on foot was the best option because at that point where we stopped we knew we could ride back up the canyon. Beyond this point and it would have been a lot more work to make our way back. As it turned out; although according to our GPS we only had a mile or so before intersecting a major road; the payoff wouldn't have been worth the effort. The overgrowth, fallen trees and lack of trail was a little more than we were willing to deal with so back up the canyon we ride... But it was a good day!

pozer screwed with this post 11-14-2013 at 08:09 PM
Old 11-06-2013, 10:10 AM   #96
pozer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Old 11-06-2013, 10:28 AM   #97
pozer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

After finding our way back up the canyon we regrouped (GPS wise) and headed up another fire road. It was about this time that the heavens opened up on us and let me tell you when it rains in Colorado its not California rain; its more like monsoon season. The good news is you can usually see it coming and it usually isn't an all day thing.
Anyway we were slinging mud all the way to the highway; by this time the sun was getting pretty low so we knew it had to be getting late.
We come upon a ranger by the side of the road. We stop and ask advise and directions. We tell him where we are supposed to camp and he says, we should consider other options. Its raining stupid; and we wouldn't get there till after dark. Well since pitching a tent in the rain in the dark wasn't at the top of our favorites list we opted for plan "B": Ride to the nearest town and get a motel.

On the way to the motel as we were passing by a mining plant along a railroad line adjacent to the highway we met up with the other half of our group. At this time they were crossing the RR tracks making their way to the highway.There were no cross roads. As we regrouped by the side of the road it was obvious our Line Leaders had differing opinions on how to proceed. No big deal; "you guys go that way up to that campground on the mountain and we'll go on over to this little town here; get us a motel and have a nice dinner; See ya in a day or two".

To be continued.

pozer screwed with this post 11-14-2013 at 08:11 PM
Old 11-06-2013, 01:25 PM   #98
pozer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

So as luck would have it there are no motel rooms in this little town of ours but there is a B&B with just enough space for all of us. So we check in; clean up; have dinner and get some well needed sleep. As I doze off In my warm & cozy little room I can't help thinking about the other group who probably hadn't even made it to camp yet... and it was still railing!

The next morning its a full on B&B breakfast courtesy of the house mom. As you can see we had it pretty rough.

We all agreed it beat waking up in a wet tent...... but some do like it that way.

Old 11-06-2013, 01:26 PM   #99
pozer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Old 11-06-2013, 01:41 PM   #100
pozer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Today is the longest day of the trip. With the fewest pictures.
In order to catch up with our friends in the other group we would need to do a whole lot of pavement. I found out later that meant all day. We tried to stay on as many backroads as we could, but pavement; that is any pavement really kills the ride for me. I was very happy to be on my big Husky though; it cruises right along; pretty smooth for a single. We made a few pit stops along the way to take in the views and to break up the pavement stretches. We went over 200 miles of pavement that day. As I recall that was the longest stretch of pavement in a single day of my life; two time over. And I've been riding bikes for 40 years.

Old 11-06-2013, 01:43 PM   #101
pozer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

And of course we hit some traffic issues.

pozer screwed with this post 11-14-2013 at 08:13 PM
Old 11-07-2013, 09:10 AM   #102
pozer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

We finally pull off the pavement and follow a gravel road for a while. Before you know it we're at our next camp. There is still plenty of daylight so after the tents are up Mark our trusty Line Leader offers to up a ride to explore the nearby landscape. I was the only one who elected to go as I wasn't quite done for the day and there hadn't been enough dirt. Good thing too; this little ride tuned out to be the jewel of the day. We must have covered another twenty miles of two track. We were gone until almost dark and by the time we returned to camp everyone else was hiding out in their tents to escape the rain. It lightly rained on and off the rest of the evening.

The next morning we're up early and headed for the next town to enjoy a hot breakfast. The little back country restaurants serve up some of the best food. I think by this time in the ride I've gained a pound or two. We're eating like royalty. After more backcountry roads and more gravel we make it to our destination; the San Juan's via Ouray. We locate a campsite; set up the tents and head out for a short ride to end the day.

Old 11-07-2013, 09:12 AM   #103
pozer OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Old 11-07-2013, 09:18 AM   #104
AT86
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 165
Fantastic pictures
Old 11-07-2013, 09:21 AM   #105