User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2013, 11:52 AM   #1
David Shapiro OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 353
Buy What Gives You Wood!

Great advice, at least where motorcycles are concerned. While I've seen lots of people write the equivalent of "all bikes are good", or something to that effect, there's something to getting a bike that makes you want to go out to the garage and just look at it.
Case in point. I recently had life-altering neck surgery, causing me to retire. I had just bought a BMW k1600 GT, since I wanted to start touring. I sold it within a week of my diagnosis, since couldn't ride it for 6 months, and I didn't want to watch it depreciate in my garage. The time has come to contemplate a replacement, and I was going to go ahead and buy a minimally used one located not far from me.
Made the mistake(?) of going to the local Ducati dealer and seeing a Multistrata Pikes Peak version. OMFG. Forget the Bore M W, I'm getting me some of Dat!

David

David Shapiro screwed with this post 10-31-2013 at 01:27 PM
David Shapiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 12:02 PM   #2
Obi
2013 Multistrada GT

Oddometer: 17
Do NOT- repeat- do NOT take that multistrada for a testride!!! You will be addicted from the first second, and it will come haunting you in your dreams if you dont buy one

Greetings,

Obi- addicted to my multi
Obi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 12:28 PM   #3
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,587
IMHO It is the main consideration when buying a bike! All other reasons and rationales take a distant back seat to the wood!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 03:40 PM   #4
AlanCT
The Byronic Man

Oddometer: 3,373
I recently traded my trusty Concours straight-up for a Kawasaki W650.

The W stands for "wood."
IBA #23064
AlanCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 05:36 PM   #5
scottrnelson
Team Orange

Oddometer: 1,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi View Post
Do NOT- repeat- do NOT take that multistrada for a testride!!! You will be addicted from the first second, and it will come haunting you in your dreams if you dont buy one
That's why I haven't taken one for a test ride yet - I can't afford one of those.

I prefer a bike that I want to ride over one that I want to go look at in the garage. I sold the one that was great to look at, because I didn't actually enjoy riding it that much and was afraid of scratching the thing.

When I took my KTM for a test ride, my first thought was "I need to get me one of these".

But looking at it doesn't really do much for me.
Old 10-31-2013, 06:32 PM   #6
David Shapiro OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 353
Laugh

I don't think that they need to be mutually exclusive. Sometimes, you're lucky enough to get both. FWIW, I did test ride the Multi, and the Pikes Peak will be in my garage next week. Just in time to spend all winter looking at it.
David Shapiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 07:02 PM   #7
ZaethDekar
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 633
Moto Guzzi Stelvio is the bike I am lusting over at this point.

I test rode it in Seattle and loved every second on it and looking at it makes me drool.
ZaethDekar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 07:26 PM   #8
DC2wheels
Castle Anthrax troll

Oddometer: 2,421
Have a '92 BMW K100RS4V (plus a '12 Suz DRZ400 for mud season- a keeper)

DW no longer has any interest in 2-up- we did just 1 ride together this year.

So......

Do I dump the K bike and look at a new K1300S - or -

Keep the K100RS and look at a new S1000RR?

Both bikes have my attention. What say you folks???
http://k11og.org/forum/index.php world-wide K bike forum

DC2wheels is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 01:37 AM   #9
mechmitch
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Go for what stirs you, at least once

A few years ago I bought the bike I lusted after off the showroom floor, it was a jet black Harley Night Rod and I loved it madly. I loved looking at it, riding it, working on it, buying things for it, I even felt it calling to me in my sleep to come ride it. The attraction bordered on real physical addiction.
Turns out, it was not a healthy relationship for me. It was like marrying a Vegas stripper who introduces you to her coke habit. The speed on that bike was addictive and I was hooked. I couldn't ride it anywhere without pushing it over a buck every chance I got. After numerous close calls, going down twice, and spending two years and a couple grand fighting a speeding ticket that would've cost me a week in jail, community service, and loss of license, we parted ways. Owning that bike cost me a shitload of money and I'd never do it again, but it was one hell of a ride.

I guess go for what stirs you, but buy used if possible in case it isn't quite what you'd anticipated. You don't want to marry the stripper, just date her.

2005 F650 GS Dakar, 1989 Harley Tour Glide, 2007 Ural Gear Up
mechmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 10:54 AM   #10
txwanderer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 496
Buy What Gives You Wood!

I believe their is a certain section of the population that frowns on this.

Could be wrong.
txwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 12:28 PM   #11
ibafran
villagidiot

Oddometer: 1,287
I did that for my 05 Sprint ST. While I did not have as much trouble with the speed aspect as a previous poster, the bike did have some serious flaws that were not readily apparent when I bought it. Speed was not one of those flaws, wahoo. Fer instance, the headlights were so crappy that slow speeds after dark in tight turns were dangerous. And the steering lock was so narrow that making a u-turn inside a 20' box requires some serious practice to learn to do it and continued practice to keep the skill sharp enough to use when I need it. The bike still gives me wood but it has its limitations.

Natchurlly, these flaws were well posted on the inter-web and were missing from the general biker media which I learned about only after the fact. If another bike similarly gave me wood sans the flaws of this bike, I would have bought different. I have been on better bikes but none of them gave me wood.
Old 11-02-2013, 06:48 PM   #12
chach_86
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrnelson View Post

I prefer a bike that I want to ride over one that I want to go look at in the garage. I sold the one that was great to look at, because I didn't actually enjoy riding it that much and was afraid of scratching the thing.
This. I used to have a bike I liked to look at, but wasn't as great of a ride as the Versys I have now. I look at my Versys and just wanna go. It's kind of a choice between a dumb, hot girl or an decent looking girl with a great personality. Sooner or later- looks will only get you so far. If you can get the best of both worlds, awesome!
chach_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 02:40 AM   #13
mechmitch
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibafran View Post
Natchurlly, these flaws were well posted on the inter-web and were missing from the general biker media which I learned about only after the fact.
Ibafran makes a great point, these internet forums are loaded with great info on just about any bike you can think of. I looked at forums on Urals for about four years to decide which one would be the most bang for the buck in my price range. If you're willing to actually spend the time on doing research, you can get a good bike that stirs you and not waste your $$.

As an aside, after re-reading my previous post in the light of day after a good night's sleep, I guess it did come across a little weird. It sure sounded better in my head

2005 F650 GS Dakar, 1989 Harley Tour Glide, 2007 Ural Gear Up
mechmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 02:53 AM   #14
Cowgirl
Cougar on the prowl

Oddometer: 3,975
I'd like a Guzzi too but I want the V7 Stone
A Cougar goes racing
Lead me not into temptation ............ just follow me, I know a short-cut.
Cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 04:47 AM   #15
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,849
Quote:
Originally Posted by txwanderer View Post
I believe their is a certain section of the population that frowns on this.

T]THEY are wrong.
Fixed for ya
ragtoplvr is offline   Reply With Quote