Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2013, 03:18 PM   #16
steelerider
Southafricanamerican

Oddometer: 749
I had a really nice 2012 R1200RT. I tried to convince myself that I liked it. It was super comfortable, powerful (enough) and I could pile on 500 miles in a day no problem, but it just never moved my soul, and I was always terrified to scratch or drop the damn thing. Then I rented a 2010 GS for a week in California - and I got wood. Came home, intent on buying a gently used GS, and selling the RT. Then my dealer told me I owe it to myself to test ride the new LC GS before making a decision. I rode that, and got MAJOR wood.
3 Weeks later, new red 2013 GSW was in my garage. A red one. I pulled into the driveway with it, and my wife (who is totally indifferent about any bike) walks out and says "now THAT, is badass."
Yup. Gives me wood.
steelerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 03:27 PM   #17
lynch180
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
So I am not the only one that sits in a shed looking at their bikes...
KTM 250 EXC
Honda XR 50
lynch180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 03:35 PM   #18
joexr
Banned

Oddometer: 3,773
Cool2

I enjoy riding mine even more.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 04:06 PM   #19
AlanCT
The Byronic Man

Oddometer: 3,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynch180 View Post
So I am not the only one that sits in a shed looking at their bikes...
Every time I go out to the garage for some task or other, I end up lingering. Particularly once riding season effectively ends here.
IBA #23064
AlanCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 04:17 PM   #20
David Shapiro OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 336
Sometimes, I just can't help myself. Just test-rode a K1600GT, same color as the one I sold. I want it, too.
"Hi, my name is David and I'm a bikeaholic."

David
David Shapiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 07:15 PM   #21
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerider View Post
I had a really nice 2012 R1200RT. I tried to convince myself that I liked it. It was super comfortable, powerful (enough) and I could pile on 500 miles in a day no problem, but it just never moved my soul, and I was always terrified to scratch or drop the damn thing. Then I rented a 2010 GS for a week in California - and I got wood. Came home, intent on buying a gently used GS, and selling the RT. Then my dealer told me I owe it to myself to test ride the new LC GS before making a decision. I rode that, and got MAJOR wood.
3 Weeks later, new red 2013 GSW was in my garage. A red one. I pulled into the driveway with it, and my wife (who is totally indifferent about any bike) walks out and says "now THAT, is badass."
Yup. Gives me wood.
You understand!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 05:01 AM   #22
Yosemite
Banned

Oddometer: 67
As much as I have loved the motorcycles that I have bought I can honestly say that none of them have given me an erection. That's just weird...
Yosemite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 05:30 AM   #23
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite View Post
As much as I have loved the motorcycles that I have bought I can honestly say that none of them have given me an erection. That's just weird...

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 09:27 AM   #24
EricD10563
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 623
A thread that makes sense to me, I ride because I like the way it makes me feel. My current bike might suck on paper but it makes me feel good. Every time I take the bike out, or I'm just in the garage I get a smile on my face. Never really understood the commuter bike it's just a tool mentality; feeling passionate about the bike as well as the ride is far more important than the facts .
In 2009 I rode 18,589 miles on an island that's 72 miles long. That's 50 miles a day everyday for 365 days. I think I'll go home now. 88k miles and still riding http://travelwithe.com/blogengine.net/ my YouTube Channel http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTJA4CrFRY-_rvDejPct73g
EricD10563 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 06:04 PM   #25
justafurnaceman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 753
Is it wrong for me to be fiscally responsible and not get the $27,000 motorcycle that I lust for? A friend eggs me on and tells me YOLO (you only live once) but I'm thinking it's more YODO (you only die once) as my wife would probably kill me if I made that kind of purchase.
Old 11-05-2013, 07:18 PM   #26
steelerider
Southafricanamerican

Oddometer: 749
Quote:
Originally Posted by justafurnaceman View Post
Is it wrong for me to be fiscally responsible and not get the $27,000 motorcycle that I lust for? A friend eggs me on and tells me YOLO (you only live once) but I'm thinking it's more YODO (you only die once) as my wife would probably kill me if I made that kind of purchase.
Depends. What kind of bike is it?
steelerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 07:21 PM   #27
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by justafurnaceman View Post
Friends will ALWAYS egg you on,always.
They get a kick out of seeing the power they have over you and some will really push it.

The trouble with ADV is its like having a whole Bunch of friends telling you how amazing most any bike is if you go to that particular thread.

I mean,you could end up with 2 TX750's sitting in your garage in a heartbeat if you dont keep your guard up.

I got suckered in on an 07 Triumph Scrambler...........pretty short infatuation and luckily sold for about what I paid almost.

Sure it looked good sitting there,but with 37hp,weak brakes,poor mileage,small gas tank,wishy washy handling and a big exhaust pipe jamming me in the leg the whole time..........what was I thinking?
Old 11-05-2013, 08:14 PM   #28
melville
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,293
Quote:
You need to ride a BMW.

I know, 205, but welcoming the n00b.
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation.
melville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 08:22 PM   #29
joexr
Banned

Oddometer: 3,773
Quote:
[QUOTE=melville;22717300]You need to ride a BMW.

Then he'll NEVER get it up again.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 06:30 PM   #30
justafurnaceman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerider View Post
Depends. What kind of bike is it?
Panigale or HP4. I truly lust after them. I would put either one in my garage tomorrow if I could justify it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
Friends will ALWAYS egg you on,always.
They get a kick out of seeing the power they have over you and some will really push it.

The trouble with ADV is its like having a whole Bunch of friends telling you how amazing most any bike is if you go to that particular thread.

I mean,you could end up with 2 TX750's sitting in your garage in a heartbeat if you dont keep your guard up.

I got suckered in on an 07 Triumph Scrambler...........pretty short infatuation and luckily sold for about what I paid almost.

Sure it looked good sitting there,but with 37hp,weak brakes,poor mileage,small gas tank,wishy washy handling and a big exhaust pipe jamming me in the leg the whole time..........what was I thinking?
ABSOLUTELY!! I read AntiHero's RR and other posts about adventures and tell my wife "This is going to be my next bike because I want to do...." After the third time of hearing about bikes I want she just nods her head says "That's nice dear" as she tries to beat a level of Candy Crush. "When we pay off the minivan we'll think about getting you another bike."