ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2013, 07:13 PM   #46
avsjack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Only 10-18 participants is that right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post
Ballpark on entry fee....still working on it. A ton of details to figure out. Around the end of the year we should be open for registration and all details should be sorted out and posted.

A few short stretches of single track. The majority of the special sections will be double track trails and non paved back roads. The transits will be gravel and paved roads.

The CRC will take place Monday to Friday to allow folks travel days on either end. This also gives the benefit of the trails jot having weekend traffic.

There will be a limit on how many riders we can accept for the CRC. 10-18 riders....we're still figuring the logistics out. Add to that a dozen staff and x amount of support folks...
Accommodations, providing food, safety, etc all have to be considered.

Hope that helps...
avsjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:16 PM   #47
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,293
ooO! wow- so exclusive! Did you say early Sept? THere was a tentative plan to go rally someplace around then.. but this would certainly be a more fiscally responsible option. and FUN.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:02 PM   #48
akarob
Green Cantern

Oddometer: 7,464
Sounds like the Rally for the big bikes is going to be much more focused on distance than difficulty. That's great news and I will certainly consider a return trip, even if it's in Quebec. Just kidding, but they don't make getting gas easy for us without the "chip" in our credit cards. Live and learn, small obstacle. I can't wait to see how it turns out.
akarob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 05:17 AM   #49
Xmoto
Death Race

Oddometer: 2,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWM View Post

Is there a little bike class?
Time to shit or get off the pot. PS, mines not for sale anymore .

Old 11-05-2013, 05:22 AM   #50
guymanbro
da Vermonster

Oddometer: 1,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand View Post
ooO! wow- so exclusive! Did you say early Sept? THere was a tentative plan to go rally someplace around then.. but this would certainly be a more fiscally responsible option. and FUN.
+1

fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA
guymanbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 06:02 AM   #51
keener
Speed changes you.

Oddometer: 922
I must say you guys are doing a lot of good and all your efforts are very much appreciated.

What was the reason(s) you decided to boil down roaming rally to gravel roads? Did you have a lot of complaints?

I haven't seen the tracks but from what I read hear I see 2014 is about a totally different challenge. 2013 was about making it through tough trails. Along with optional routes I felt I pushed my adventure bike the way it was meant and loved it.

2014 seems like long gravel roads and creative ways to carry gas. Which is fine but its very different from what roaming rally was on my mind.
Old 11-05-2013, 06:31 AM   #52
Torontorocko
Ordinary Average Guy

Oddometer: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by keener View Post
I must say you guys are doing a lot of good and all your efforts are very much appreciated.

What was the reason(s) you decided to boil down roaming rally to gravel roads? Did you have a lot of complaints?

I haven't seen the tracks but from what I read hear I see 2014 is about a totally different challenge. 2013 was about making it through tough trails. Along with optional routes I felt I pushed my adventure bike the way it was meant and loved it.

2014 seems like long gravel roads and creative ways to carry gas. Which is fine but its very different from what roaming rally was on my mind.
I too was thinking the same thing...I feel like this rally doesn't seem to fit what I loved and need from a rally ride. I'm not a super serious rider by any means, but loved the "riding" challenge far more than the "distance" challenge.
For my little bike, the creative gas hauling and finding different ways to relieve my ass from the long flat road droning is not what I really wanted the challenges to be. Granted, I am not quite clear on how much off road stuff will be on this years ride.
I am disappointed.....sorry.
Old 11-05-2013, 09:19 AM   #53
BikerBobber
Trying to get lost

Oddometer: 611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torontorocko View Post
I too was thinking the same thing...I feel like this rally doesn't seem to fit what I loved and need from a rally ride. I'm not a super serious rider by any means, but loved the "riding" challenge far more than the "distance" challenge.
For my little bike, the creative gas hauling and finding different ways to relieve my ass from the long flat road droninG is not what I really wanted the challenges to be. Granted, I am not quite clear on how much off road stuff will be on this years ride.
We should wait till we see the route...:)

From my mobile
My translab adventure http://bobandmike10x10.blogspot.com/
BikerBobber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 09:28 AM   #54
Berger
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 669
Still haven't heard if the RR is three-wheel friendly? We are mainly concerned with the water crossings.

For the smaller bikes, team up with a Ural and no longer worry about lugging fuel or parts! ;)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=723916
Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 10:01 AM   #55
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,740
Uralberger

There is a bridge across a dam that is likely too narrow...
There is a "ferry" that might be too narrow...
There is a section on day one that would be too narrow...

The bulk of it yes...why not ride your triumph?

__________________________________________________ ________

Changing the nature of the rally wasn't an easy decision. I hear ya to the folks who say maybe it isn't for me anymore. This was a risk we knew we were taking. We hope we have attracted some new folks who thought the RR wasn't what they enjoy and folks from years past who think it will be nice to actually finish the entire route (something almost no one has done to date )...in fact finishing the route is pretty much mandatory or your sleeping out in the wild somewhere...its for this and a few other reasons we had to ease up on the terrain. Having dozens of people broken down, watered out and getting stuck hundreds of kilometers from the nearest paved road simply didn't seem very appealing.

In the end we hope the majority of folks enjoy the new format. Exploring (Roaming) new places is to us what makes it unique.

Whats this year have in store? Certainly not just cruising down a long boring road... Most of the roads and trails are sand.

Some pretty cool scenery

A hand drawn ferry near the end of day one

Lots of these kind of roads...

Take a beach rip, there are a couple of them to choose from

Route crosses at least one dam...

Bore boring roads

I believe the route for next years RR is a great one. Ya no single track, no water crossings but it does bring us to a new place for most folks, very way out there remote part of Canada, some fun riding and so on.

Roaming Rally has and always will be about seeing new places, being self supporting, meeting new people, riding fun terrain and having a beer or three around a campfire at the end of day

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel

Deadly99 screwed with this post 11-05-2013 at 10:09 AM
Deadly99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 10:19 AM   #56
Berger
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post
Uralberger

There is a bridge across a dam that is likely too narrow...
There is a "ferry" that might be too narrow...
There is a section on day one that would be too narrow...

The bulk of it yes...why not ride your triumph?
I probably will, I just know a lot of Ural guys might be into it. For the record, I love how the RR is looking!

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=723916
Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 11:40 AM   #57
RB450
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 284
Terrain looks fun and fast. Guess I'll need to mount a rotopax on my 690. When out in the middle of nowhere, how far will it be to the closest beer stop?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RB450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 11:58 AM   #58
juames
Have Fun, Don't Die!

Oddometer: 2,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torontorocko View Post
For my little bike, the creative gas hauling and finding different ways to relieve my ass from the long flat road droning is not what I really wanted the challenges to be. Granted, I am not quite clear on how much off road stuff will be on this years ride.
The RR will be far from boring, but if you want a "riding challenge"? The CRC will challenge you I can guaranty you that.
Old 11-05-2013, 12:02 PM   #59
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,293
Both sounds good in their own way. Long Distance, remote travel even on fairly benign surfaces still presents its own challenges
Old 11-05-2013, 01:13 PM   #60
Boatman
Take me down bitch!

Oddometer: 10,031
I gotta say... I like the way Ted and crew have changed the rally every year. Keeps it fresh and exciting. This is looking to be the best year yet.

Sure there will be some challenges like fuel but isn't that what "adventure riding" is all about?!?!?

Sooooo looking forward to this.

Hi/low beam conversions for: Trail Tech, Baja Designs
Boatman is offline   Reply With Quote