User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2013, 09:37 AM   #16
Dr. Greg
Tryin' to get home..

Oddometer: 1,133
I'm in!

Hey, anyone that stays w/Jeff & Karen in C'burg is OK in my book...I spent a couple nights with them during my "Civil War" trip last fall. Great folks!

Enjoying your pics and writeup...lookin' forward to more.

--Doc
1991 Honda Hawk NT650 (commuter)
Dr. Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 09:57 PM   #17
ironeagle OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Guess I better finish this thing already! I rode back to H&H market, the local hardware store/gas station/restaurant/ammunition depot/hangout, for a nice big lumberjack special in the morning. I can't recommend this place enough if you're near hwy 501 looking for a nice breakfast.

It was day 5, so I decided to just eat some interstate and get to Knoxville already. I took the BRP further south towards Roanoke and tried to find I-81 from there. Per Murphy's Law, I ended up lost in a rough part of town - doubly so since I couldn't seem to escape that unfinished grooved pavement that motorcycles just LOVE. But, I did get to see this cool old ladder truck:

Any locals know the history on this one?

Coming into Knoxville on I-40 late at night, exhausted with a pounding headache, was less than fun. Semi trucks whizzing by, ambulances and cop cars lit up, and last-second mergers - I thought this was supposed to be fun! Thankfully I hit the right exit and got to my buddy Max's place without any issues. I spent the next few days exploring Knoxville with Max, and experiencing the motorcycle paradise that is the south. At least it seems that way for a northeasterner:

Cherohala Skyway/The Dragon (of course!)

My only other confirmed KLR sighting: a rental bike from a shop a few miles south of the Dragon. Such handsome steeds!

Windrock Park: a big ATV/offroad park near Oak Ridge. pay to play, but definitely worth it! A fun afternoon spent continuously almost dumping the bike.

Leaving Knoxville I headed east into North Carolina so I could find the BRP again and take the part I missed on the way down. It was about 25 degrees out and I only had my riding gloves, so that meant stopping every 10 miles or so and sitting on my hands.

After a night at the KoA site in Fancy Gap, I found SoPaRider's place on the tent space thread and shot up to Chambersburg PA to meet up. Jeff's been riding dual sports since way before I was born, so I got to learn quite a bit and we shared some cool road tales. Proof that DR and KLR people can get along! I wish I could have stayed a bit longer, but I had to head on to the next campsite. Every couple miles on highway 11 there you'd see warning signs about aggressive drivers, drunk drivers, distracted drivers, and not to mention "high crash areas."

I ended up pitching my tent near Hazelton after a short riding day and met some nice locals at a nearby watering hole.

I got up early the next day and made the final push through PA, upstate NY and CT back to New London. I just made it in time for the last boat back to LI, and got back home safely just under the 2,600 mile mark, much to the relief of everyone worried about me. The bike ran flawlessly, save for the headlight fuse. I only added a quart of oil the whole trip, and managed to avoid any of the KLR horror stories I've read about. Not too shabby!

Already I can't wait to get back out there and find more of these:

and this too:
ironeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 06:38 AM   #18
Rutabaga
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 729
Thanks for finishing the tale. Since you are up in the area already, how 'bouts a little tour of Long Island on a clear winter day with lots of pics? You, the jet boil, a six pack of instant cocoa all on the KLR for an adventure.
Rutabaga is offline   Reply With Quote