User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2013, 06:59 PM   #1
GPHusky250 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 381
Heidenau K60 First Impression

After reading as much as I could here about tires...the local BMW dealer had a set of K60s in stock and since I plan on riding down in Mexico next month, just couldn't see doing it on stock Pirellis and decided to get a set of K60s mounted up.

Rode away from BMW to home...about 20 miles, clear blue sky, asphalt and grooved concrete.

You can immediately tell you are not on street tires. I felt it more in the seat than I did in the handlebars.

At around 40-50 mph you an hear the tires whine, but by 60mph the wind noise cancelled out the whine.

Didn't get too aggressive on the new tires, but at normal speeds going around corners (which is what I do most of the time...normal speeds) I didn't feel any less secure than with the stock tires.

Can't attest to how they will perform offroad, but I'm sure the whine will be gone, felling the knobs impacting the road surface and transmitting that back through my seat will probably be gone as well.

The different feeling and road noise reminds me of my 1982 CJ5 when I put new BFGs on it. The tires, because of their aggressive tread have some vibration and do whine at certain speeds. Back in the day it didn't bother me at all, and I'm sure the K60s won't either.

With all these 50/50, 60/40, 70/30 tires were dealing with a compromise and anything, I don't care what it is, if it's multi-purpose it doesn't do either purpose perfectly and you trade off performance for mufti-functionality. In the end, it's a step up from the stock tires offered on the F800GSA and I'm happy to have them on.

Looking forward to taking the bike out tomorrow and seeing what it does on dirt roads
GPHusky250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 08:05 PM   #2
ultane
sqeezin the bag

Oddometer: 1,117
Upside down?

Really?

If a man speaks, and there is no woman present to hear him,..
Is he still wrong?
ultane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 01:31 AM   #3
GPHusky250 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultane View Post
Upside down?

Really?
I asked the X, she said you're wrong. :) Photo is right side up on my computer, if that's what upside down is referring to.
Old 11-02-2013, 01:37 AM   #4
PeterW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,497
Do yourself a favour, trim the injection hairs off.

Normally not needed, but that rubber is TOUGH and the front squirms quite badly until the hairs wear off (takes forever).

Pete
PeterW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 04:12 AM   #5
PoodlePumper
Custom Title User

Oddometer: 1,171
Thumb

Thanks for posting up. I have the same bike - trying to wear out the stockers so I can put something else on. Please share your impressions after takin' 'em offroad.

PP
Old 11-02-2013, 04:20 AM   #6
furthur
n00b

Oddometer: 7
K 60's

You will LOVE them. I put them on my '12 800 GS after 600 miles in three days on the Pirellis after doing all the research on what to buy. The TKC 80's would have my first choice if they lasted longer. I've put over 6k on the tires since June, and they are a great overall tire....the ultimate compromise. After 6k, no sign of wear. Enjoy, and beautiful bike. Jealous of the large gas tank and extended range.
furthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 11:00 AM   #7
GPHusky250 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterW View Post
Do yourself a favour, trim the injection hairs off.

Normally not needed, but that rubber is TOUGH and the front squirms quite badly until the hairs wear off (takes forever).

Pete
Thanks, I'll put it up on the lift today and start removing them.
Old 11-02-2013, 11:39 AM   #8
dryden_rider_54
Sun Seeker

Oddometer: 1,735
Used K60 for an Alaska and Northwest territory ride past year. Put close to 25,000 km on them and changed out the rear. Left the front until this summer and with close to 30,000 on it, there was still plenty of tread.

Rode in lots of rain and gravel and they felt firm to the ground at all times. Only slip was on the Dempster highway in a hard rain with the calcium slime but I don't think any tire is great on that. By that experience alone I would not think they are a great mud tire, but there are few mud tires that will last on any amount of highway riding so hence the great compromise..

It is the front the whines the most on the highway. For what you are using them for they will serve you well.
dryden_rider_54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 12:47 PM   #9
Endurodude
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPHusky250 View Post
I asked the X, she said you're wrong. :) Photo is right side up on my computer, if that's what upside down is referring to.
No, definitely upside down!
Endurodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 01:37 PM   #10
dryden_rider_54
Sun Seeker

Oddometer: 1,735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endurodude View Post
No, definitely upside down!
Right side up here

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
dryden_rider_54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 09:06 PM   #11
headstaller
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 284
There's a funny feel to it when you hit over 75-80 MPH on grooved concrete when new.
headstaller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 10:35 PM   #12
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,633
Funny feeling...grooved concrete...75~80mph.

Yes.

You get that.

In all seriousness, they cop a lot of bad press mainly from North America. I don't fully understand why. I used them and had no serious issues. I have friends that use them and then also say they can't work out why the Yanks don't like them.

The solid centre bar on the rear means it'll squirm around on gravel with light acceleration or deceleration, in full off road scenario they work well aired right down, which lets the shoulder lugs do more work on the rear.

When I got rid of mine there was plenty of tread depth left...about 6~7mm from memory, but the rear had started to square off badly and you can feel it when you turn into a corner.

Ok in the rain, not brilliant.

The front didn't seem to wear at all really, in the 11,000kms that it did. But it did get hard and slippery, and seamed to excrete an oily residue that wasn't nice in the rain.

I cut out the centre bar on the rear for shits and giggles, and did the last 1000~1500km on it with the more aggressive pattern and it worked really well. On a lighter bike, like a DR650, I think it would just about last forever. Certainly it'd outlast most owners.

Riding with a pillion all the time means I just ask my wife what the rear end is doing, as she feels it much more than me. What feels ok to me on gravel feels like the bike sliding from side to side for her. She said that it was much better after I cut the centre bar out, and the Mitas E07 was better again.
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 11:00 PM   #13
DoWorkSon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
I think the biggest gripe about them comes from the more off-road oriented riders.
They are good for dirt roads, but not so great in mud, and loose gravel. I lose all traction in gravel, which is common here in the CA sierras. The front is squirrelly and the rear slides around... But dirt roads they are great.

You really do need to air down a bit in looser stuff, they are a stiff tire so they don't flex much
DoWorkSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 11:45 PM   #14
toy4fun
GET out of the way

Oddometer: 295
I have them on my 89 TRANSALP and they have done a really good job. There is one issue I had with them in dirt. In a curve At first they would drift or give a little then hook-up and stick. Takes a little getting used to. The other thing is they started cracking before I really lost a lot of tread probablly due to this bike only is used on a couple of trips a year.
toy4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 09:20 AM   #15
PatrickM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by toy4fun View Post
In a curve At first they would drift or give a little then hook-up and stick. Takes a little getting used to.
I thought it was just me... Particularly the give a little, and then stick.
PatrickM is offline   Reply With Quote