User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2014, 06:01 AM   #1
LBourque OP
G/S nut

Oddometer: 225
What GS,G/S? or?

If you had a choice and a $7K budget what would you get for a dual sport. What manufacturer would you choose and what considerations for a reliable long lived bike that won't have mechanical problems like final drives,circlips or things that explode internally.
Old 01-03-2014, 06:28 AM   #2
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Oddometer: 3,422
Yamaha WR250R

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 08:08 AM   #3
motoinmoab
Questioning Reality

Oddometer: 97
Dual Sport means so many different things. Are you going to ride it off road a lot and want something lighter weight? Are you going to load up the bags and cruise both Interstate Highways and dirt roads in the mountains of Montana?

I love my Suzuki DR-Z400S dual sport, it's light weight and great for off road play. It does local roads fine but once made light for the dirt it's not so great at highway speeds. You can can make it a DS tourer with bags and go long distance too, but it won't do the open roads like a big BMW-GS. 400 cc and 320 lbs vs an 800 or 1,200 cc engine and a whole lot more weight than that: bigger and heavier does high speed runs and long distance better.

I've had 3 BMW-GS bikes over the years and loved them all. R100GS, R1100GS, and an F650GS. My brother has an F800GS and that bike's real nice. We've done the loaded up long distance tours from Arizona to Glacier Nat'L Park and that's lots of fun. But now I'm riding locally, and dual sport means a nice riding bike on the pavement and a really nice riding bike when I find a trail into the woods.

What do you want to do with your new bike?

motoinmoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 07:21 PM   #4
sdpc2
Just another Rally Rat

Oddometer: 1,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoinmoab View Post
Dual Sport means so many different things. Are you going to ride it off road a lot and want something lighter weight? Are you going to load up the bags and cruise both Interstate Highways and dirt roads in the mountains of Montana?

I love my Suzuki DR-Z400S dual sport, it's light weight and great for off road play. It does local roads fine but once made light for the dirt it's not so great at highway speeds. You can can make it a DS tourer with bags and go long distance too, but it won't do the open roads like a big BMW-GS. 400 cc and 320 lbs vs an 800 or 1,200 cc engine and a whole lot more weight than that: bigger and heavier does high speed runs and long distance better.

I've had 3 BMW-GS bikes over the years and loved them all. R100GS, R1100GS, and an F650GS. My brother has an F800GS and that bike's real nice. We've done the loaded up long distance tours from Arizona to Glacier Nat'L Park and that's lots of fun. But now I'm riding locally, and dual sport means a nice riding bike on the pavement and a really nice riding bike when I find a trail into the woods.

Look at the Suzuki wee-storm. Great bike for the $$$

I lower my passenger pegs for those riders that have gone before me
sdpc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 12:45 PM   #5
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,389
Suzuki DR650

Depends on what dual sport means to you, but a Suzuki DR650, new or low mileage is hard to beat. You can buy a new one and have the suspension completely redone for your weight/riding style and conditions for under $7000. It's enough bike to take you down the Interstate, or around the world.

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 06:29 AM   #6
LBourque OP
G/S nut

Oddometer: 225
Ride!

I've owned a DR650,K100RS,R1200GS,R80G/S and now redoing a R80G/SPD. I want to look for a second bike that I can just jump on and go. I don't do much off road but occasionally hit those campgrounds and forest service trails and enjoy a little dirt,but I'm not what you consider "off road per say". Want hard bags and other storage items that can take me away for 3 or 4 weeks. Alaska is on my list either this year or next. Some interstate will be necessary, so need something all around. So the 800 GS is looking good too but not for the $$. KLR looks nice as my brother in law has one,the seat is a little rough for me but that can be fixed. Thanks for your insight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoinmoab View Post

Old 01-05-2014, 03:22 PM   #7
HotChilliColdBeer
Human Swizzle Stick

Oddometer: 283
V-Strom. 650 or 1000.

Easy to configure it any way you like. Dead reliable. Competent on the highway, or the forest service road. Capable of everything you're after. Good aftermarket for it.

That's where I'd go looking.

Charlie
HotChilliColdBeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 04:20 PM   #8
giganova
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
I'd go to the BMW dealer, make a $1k down payment for a G650GS Sertao or a G800GS, pay $220/month for the next 4 years and spend the $6k that you didn't spend on vacations with my wife
giganova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 05:05 PM   #9
John Smallberries
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,212
Dual Sports

I've been considering filling in the gap between my 1200GS and my little Yamaha TW200 with a similar price range to yours. I've put together this little matrix of the options I've been considering. If you are looking for a new bike, you do have several good options under $7k.

I'm leaning toward the XR, even if it is a bit homely (kinda like me...).

I was surprised to see that you could buy a pair of CRF250Ls for the price of one KTM 350 EXCF with enough left over for gear.
John Smallberries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 05:53 PM   #10
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBourque View Post
I've owned a DR650,K100RS,R1200GS,R80G/S and now redoing a R80G/SPD. I want to look for a second bike that I can just jump on and go. I don't do much off road but occasionally hit those campgrounds and forest service trails and enjoy a little dirt,but I'm not what you consider "off road per say". Want hard bags and other storage items that can take me away for 3 or 4 weeks. Alaska is on my list either this year or next. Some interstate will be necessary, so need something all around. So the 800 GS is looking good too but not for the $$. KLR looks nice as my brother in law has one,the seat is a little rough for me but that can be fixed. Thanks for your insight.
you say you have a R80 so I assume you just want another bike????.....you mention you have a G/S which is more than capable for what you describe. Easier to fix in case of a break down than newer bikes. Personally I wouldn't buy a new BMW.......to complex....

Save the money and put it into your trip or prepping the G/S for the trip.

Currently planing to take the G/S to the Grand Canyon this year, could take the DRZ but it's 1,600 miles just to get there. The bike is more than up to the task of long interstate rides and moderate dirt.
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley screwed with this post 01-05-2014 at 07:26 PM
One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 05:59 PM   #11
GSAragazzi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,162
This X challenge seems to fit the bill 100%
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=924454
Old 01-05-2014, 10:31 PM   #12
YT Dave
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Go for the 650 Suzuki VStrom

Myself and three other fellows rode our bikes up to Inuvik, NWT on the Dempster highway a couple of years ago.
I ride a 1200GS, two of the guys were riding Kawasaki KLR's and the 4th guy was riding a 650 VStrom. That VStrom was/is one hell of an impressive motorcycle. It runs smooth. You can ride a long range of a tank of gas. It's substantially more comfortable than the KLR's and it's dependable. We beat the shit out of those bikes on all kinds of gravel side roads and we had them loaded down with gear. One of the KLR's got a lift to Whitehorse in a transport truck from halfway down the Dempster and the rest of us were fine. I'm a devoted BMW fan, but I'll tell you, I'd buy a VStrom in a heartbeat after what I witnessed on that trip and you can find them 2nd hand at a reasonable price too!
Don't piss your money away on a name. Get a good dependable bike and use your savings to go places. The name of the game is to get out there and get back safely. You can do that on a Suzuki.
YT Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 01:38 AM   #13
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 5,845
Touring side
Dl650
Dirty road bike
KLR 650
Fire road bike with some trails
XR650l or DR650
True off road dual sport
WR250 or KLX250

Every one of these bikes can be had under the 7k price and some are only half of that.
Old 01-06-2014, 01:36 PM   #14
John Smallberries
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,212
V-Strom, why not BMW?

In the process of adding the VStrom 650 to my matrix, I looked up the info on the BMW G650GS. I was surprised to see it was actually cheaper and lighter than the V-Strom:

These are both over your $7k limit, but you are also now getting ABS.

Lots of choices!!!
John Smallberries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 01:44 PM   #15
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,389
Those aren't horsepower numbers, are they?

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is online now   Reply With Quote