Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2013, 01:26 PM   #136
ME 109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand View Post
Haha, oh man that would be the ticket, that's for sure- haha- still using GF and Wife interchangeably. Same net effect. One woman. :-)
Funny that, trophy husband.

But I think your ass will end up mounted above the fireplace!
Old 12-07-2013, 07:38 PM   #137
RecycledRS
Along for the ride

Oddometer: 1,039
Man, you got some big balls! Hope it works out for the best for you though.
Old 12-07-2013, 10:38 PM   #138
hardwaregrrl
ignore list

Oddometer: 7,237
"And now for something completly different!" Damn, Hensley is cooler than I originally thought which was way high up. Good luck man....I'm still down for being your support crew if I can scrape travel pennies together.
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 09:24 AM   #139
LoJack
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,500
Way to take the plunge! Hmmm, you need race support?
LoJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 12:01 PM   #140
Stagehand OP
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoJack View Post
Way to take the plunge! Hmmm, you need race support?
I don't think I'm atthe point where I am hiring race crew, but I'm not excluding the eventuality :) Until then, sharing resources is an excellent way to get us all in the deep end :) so yes, we'll pick the race, we'll talk!
Old 12-08-2013, 12:24 PM   #141
LoJack
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,500
Quote:
I don't think I'm atthe point where I am hiring race crew, but I'm not excluding the eventuality :) Until then, sharing resources is an excellent way to get us all in the deep end :) so yes, we'll pick the race, we'll talk!
Well, it's been a number of years, but I've a little experience being a handler on my families sled dog team when I was a teen. Think two to five days of little sleep going from point to point in the middle of the winter prepping for the care of ten dogs and one exhausted musher. I'd be way into helping. I'm sure we could work something out.
LoJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 12:24 PM   #142
Stagehand OP
+/- V TDSPP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ME 109 View Post
Funny that, trophy husband.

But I think your ass will end up mounted above the fireplace!
So far, have managed a fairly successful campaign against domestication, except where it's super comfy
Old 12-10-2013, 06:00 PM   #143
danedg
Horizontally Opposed

Oddometer: 6,466
Daisy Dog Racing?

danedg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 07:38 PM   #144
RecycledRS
Along for the ride

Oddometer: 1,039
While waiting for the various parts to arrive you can do the last minute things that tend to get in the way right before the first race. Things like:
1. Team name
2. Tee shirts
3. Etc.......
Old 01-04-2014, 05:50 AM   #145
AWM
Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer: 11,383
Quote:

You pick up the food and booze bill ill go anywhere ya want and tell girls im your crew chief.

I already got the race truck!

You just let me know when you want ride,old pal.Its been awhile.

Your always on top of list for sponcership at Bread Bro racing.Yea cant save though.

Theres a name for people without beards,"Women".

AWM screwed with this post 01-04-2014 at 06:10 AM
AWM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 10:12 PM   #146
IronSpadeCycles
Button Pusher

Oddometer: 230
Ok so I know I'm a little Jonny come lately to the party but is this bike happening or still in the works planning stage? I like the direction you are headed!

I've been slowly diving into my Frankenstein R something to long travel GS or whatever you want to call it project, it will be fun for me no matter what. It was a partial payment for a customers cafe racer I built last year. I usually don't take other projects or bikes as payment for bikes I build but I have never owned a BMW and after seeing the old Dakar Rally bikes of the 70's I've always wanted to have one of these monster dirt bikes.

Last weekend I pulled the heads to find R90 top end bolted to the R75 cases, R75 5-speed kickstart trans and a 34:11 FD. All this in a 1978 R80/7 frame. I'm building a jig to add the 100mm extension to the swingarm and a 1x2 rectangular steel left side as well as cross bracing. I'm looking to make it a solo shock if the geometry can be worked out for the left over NOS WP shock I still have from a 93 KTM 500 enduro. Also going to use a stock fork/front wheel off a 1990 XR600, cause I already have one. The frame will be getting the usual tabs and brackets but I'm planning to build an alloy tank of my own design to keep cost down, I get .050thick 3003 aluminum from the metal supply for about $80 for a 4x10ft sheet, roughly enough for two regular sized tanks. I have an English wheel and necessary shrinkers/stretchers to do the job. I make cafe racer fuel and oil tanks all the time, a big enduro tank aught to be a piece of artistic cake.

I'll post pictures to my build thread over the next few weeks. I'm looking forward to seeing how your bike turns out as well. Talk soon Travis.

I'm a collector of fine crap!
IronSpadeCycles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 10:50 PM   #147
Stagehand OP
+/- V TDSPP

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronSpadeCycles View Post
Ok so I know I'm a little Jonny come lately to the party but is this bike happening or still in the works planning stage? I like the direction you are headed!

I've been slowly diving into my Frankenstein R something to long travel GS or whatever you want to call it project, it will be fun for me no matter what. It was a partial payment for a customers cafe racer I built last year. I usually don't take other projects or bikes as payment for bikes I build but I have never owned a BMW and after seeing the old Dakar Rally bikes of the 70's I've always wanted to have one of these monster dirt bikes.

Last weekend I pulled the heads to find R90 top end bolted to the R75 cases, R75 5-speed kickstart trans and a 34:11 FD. All this in a 1978 R80/7 frame. I'm building a jig to add the 100mm extension to the swingarm and a 1x2 rectangular steel left side as well as cross bracing. I'm looking to make it a solo shock if the geometry can be worked out for the left over NOS WP shock I still have from a 93 KTM 500 enduro. Also going to use a stock fork/front wheel off a 1990 XR600, cause I already have one. The frame will be getting the usual tabs and brackets but I'm planning to build an alloy tank of my own design to keep cost down, I get .050thick 3003 aluminum from the metal supply for about $80 for a 4x10ft sheet, roughly enough for two regular sized tanks. I have an English wheel and necessary shrinkers/stretchers to do the job. I make cafe racer fuel and oil tanks all the time, a big enduro tank aught to be a piece of artistic cake.

I'll post pictures to my build thread over the next few weeks. I'm looking forward to seeing how your bike turns out as well. Talk soon Travis.

:whoa that sounds prefectly awesome, Travis.. I'd love to see how your progress goes. You sound like you have the skills.

That really does sound awesome Depending on your luggage concerns, I'd maybe think about making two smaller tanks, a front and a rear, so you dont necessarily end up with 60 pounds of fluctuating weight over the front end.

Yes, this bike is a going concern, with planning stages mostly thought out, and mostly just in the parts acquisition phase. Its essentially a Paul Rooney special, with his engineering. I'm just putting the parts together. WE've talked about what its going to be.. that is a rally bike sufficient for the Safari and similar events. Straight up Dune events might be a hair beyond its true calling, but it should be able to do it, maybe just in a more Manly style

The gas tank is one of the things in flux. Originally planned for a 30L front tank, Paul is working on doing a 20L front and an 8 or 10L rear. I prefer this, as it makes the front smaller, while not giving up capacity, at the expense of a little complexity. Not much, really, just some extra hoses to watch out for.

Hopefully Fred will ship that motor block soon and indeed, pauls top end parts should be in progress.

Meanwhile, I am about to commit to RAlly Diabolico on my 450, so am about to drop a few dollars on that bike I can get all I need for under $2K i hope.

I know, its not an airhead, but I consider it a challenge in its own right, and specifically, there is a lot of off-piste navigation in the Diabolico- and I really want to practice that. While I have no airhead worthy of a good international race, this will have to do
Old 01-05-2014, 11:06 PM   #148
Stagehand OP
+/- V TDSPP

Also- I just completed work on another bike, with a little help:

Thats a gas can <- this was a refuel stop :loll
Old 01-06-2014, 05:56 AM   #149
hardwaregrrl
ignore list

Oddometer: 7,237
Wow! Only 8 months since I saw her and she already looks like a grown up. This is getting good.
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 06:10 AM   #150
Screaming Chicken
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 433
Quote:
The gas tank is one of the things in flux. Originally planned for a 30L front tank, Paul is working on doing a 20L front and an 8 or 10L rear.
Isn't there room for an under seat tank in that frame?
In the land of Bavaria, where the boxers ride...
(Gandalf the oil-stained)
Screaming Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote