Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2013, 05:54 PM   #31
Stagehand OP
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwaregrrl View Post
I call BULLSHIT....on this one. I know, I know....I've not really seen you race as I'm always behind you, but you got a big sack my friend. Dreaming about a small ride for Sandblast....but it ain't gonna happen. 41 year old chick racing a 460# bike is out of my trajectory I'm afriad. Anything I can do down here on my end, lemme know. You know I can stop drop and roll in a pile of airhead parts in mere hours. Machine shop, engine shop and blacksmith shop within reach. I still owe you a pair of "shit heads", just haven't gotten to them yet. I'm on it. I most certainly will enjoy watching you move forward racing any airhead. It's fucking rad! No I am not smoking dope, hung out with a 19 year old kid from China last few days. He seems to have affected me
YOU owe me nothing but at least one more shot at the RR. I might have to loan you the 450 for the CRC, as well
Old 11-03-2013, 06:05 PM   #32
LoJack
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand View Post
I guess I imagine there to be at least the same stiffness, if not more. I imagine it to be about as rigid a section as you could get between the steering neck and swingarm. I cant speak for weight. I can only guess its close, or lighter. Paul wouldnt bother building something worse off than where he started.
Main plusses to me are the ability to put on whatever steering neck you like, ahead of time, if you can decide on a fork you want to use. I'm pretty sure Its not a striaght up BMW one.
Then there is the 1100 swingarm is a bolt-on. I dont know if it is with the BMW frame, but I dont believe there are offset issues with this one. HE didnt mention to me about offsetting the wheel, so I guess he using a paralever drum diff.
The air intake is Super high! I love it!
He did mention that engine access was really nice for working on.. although just now lookign at it it looks like the transmission might be a little hard to swap out.

I like your swingarm. WHat do you think the shock mounts will look like?
With a typical transmission swap, you pull the rear end off first, correct? With his maybe you pull the engine? Seems like it would be easy enough.

It's a steel frame?

I don't know what the shock mount is going to be like yet. I'm thinking sort of central like the oilhead GS's right now but I don't know if the swing arm is stiff enough for that if I don't reinforce it. Still need to get into FEA, but sometimes school needs to take a back seat to a good bike tour. Maybe like the old ISDT HPN bike, which is an obvious inspiration. I have an Xchallenge air shock to start out with (it's HUGE!), then will try and find an aftermarket Xc shock once I know what sort of spring rates I'm working with. Right now the swing arm weighs in at 9.35 pounds.
LoJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 08:15 PM   #33
Stagehand OP
+/- V TDSPP

Its steel, yes, and chromoly for a good bit, I believe.

Seems like you pull the engine forward. Hangers, battery, starter and coil wiring, then aribox stuff and then driveshaft. Kind of a drag, but if thats the worst.. it may be hearsay, but he says the hting turns and handles better than the loop frame I rode. So Thats another plus.

THe swingarm would probably be stiff enough if you spread the load of the mount out over enough of it
Old 11-04-2013, 11:56 AM   #34
Beater
Is it broke yet?

Oddometer: 3,068
This is going to be EPIC. Can you feel it?

PS - You've read Stephen Bottcher's fab of a monolever rear hub from a GS hub ... right? Now you can put spokes on the rear, and if you can find the Akront 18" rim ....

Beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 01:08 PM   #35
Ras Thurlo
Desert Lion

Oddometer: 588
Quote:
The 1150 shaft is basically bulletproof. Not the failure point in that system.
but is the 1100 swing arm vulnerable to breaking when ridden as a dirtbike?

I understood that the HPN variant was done to deal with this, as am not sure there is that much weight saved

Manuel at SWT seems to ride his pretty hard, so may be wrong

Quote:
I can probably fit a 130-140 tire on the paralever. CAn barely get by with a 120 on the Boxer, even with the thin tube swingarm.
which final drive you thinking of using, 80/100 or 1100?

I would guess that has a knock-on effect on the wheel offset for a 140 tyre

Ras Thurlo screwed with this post 11-04-2013 at 01:26 PM
Ras Thurlo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 01:19 PM   #36
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,385

Considering what it is, that thing handles a trials course pretty well. It also spits fire. Nothing wrong with that.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 02:31 PM   #37
Stagehand OP
+/- V TDSPP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ras Thurlo View Post
but is the 1100 swing arm vulnerable to breaking when ridden as a dirtbike?

I understood that the HPN variant was done to deal with this, as am not sure there is that much weight saved

Manuel at SWT seems to ride his pretty hard, so may be wrong

which final drive you thinking of using, 80/100 or 1100?

I would guess that has a knock-on effect on the wheel offset for a 140 tyre
Gosh I hope its not brittle, in that regard I assume it will take some solid hits, but I'm counting on the suspension to soften the blows

I guess there may not be a weight savings, but its the good length out of the box, so I think the R100 FD? Its the 3.09, which is ok, I think. It will still go plenty fast Which one is lighter?
Old 11-04-2013, 02:42 PM   #38
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,385
Quote:
I guess there may not be a weight savings, but its the good length out of the box, so I think the R100 FD? Its the 3.09, which is ok, I think. It will still go plenty fast Which one is lighter?
for a couple more final drive options, if you want lower gearing you can get the R80GS (no /) final drive 3.20:1 or the R850GS (same ratio) if you want a disc rear brake.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 03:07 PM   #39
Ras Thurlo
Desert Lion

Oddometer: 588
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler View Post
for a couple more final drive options, if you want lower gearing you can get the R80GS (no /) final drive 3.20:1 or the R850GS (same ratio) if you want a disc rear brake.
thats the 32/10 right?

i thinks thats a great ratio for the sort ground Stagehand wants to ride this bike on
Ras Thurlo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 05:51 PM   #40
Cogswell
Spudly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,060
Sounds like an interesting build, count me in !

Maybe I'll even pick up some tips for my ST...

Mike
The good thing is, your damn motor can't read. If it says oil on the container, it's pretty much OK to dump in there.... ED.
Cogswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:55 PM   #41
Stagehand OP
+/- V TDSPP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler View Post

Considering what it is, that thing handles a trials course pretty well. It also spits fire. Nothing wrong with that.

Quite well- but again, he makes that thing look like a toy! Its probably got a 36" seat height, and it almost 7 feet long tip to tail. And Manuel could probably put it on his back and run throuhg the same course.

Is that the 1100 FD he's using?
Old 11-05-2013, 10:20 AM   #42
kanakaka
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 222
Stagehand,
I don't want to de-rail your thread here... I am watching it with great interest. I noticed that the Box of Hammers bike is kick start only. Thinking about going that route on a project I've got laying around in my garage. What are your thoughts?

FYI, the "project" is a pile of 1974-75 /6 motorcycle parts with a rebuilt R75 motor running R90 jugs and a title. Currently I've got a /6 5 speed on the bench. Also considering the lower geared rear drive. I've got two of them on the bench as well, one high and one low.

Cheers,
Claude
Old 11-05-2013, 10:28 AM   #43
Stagehand OP
+/- V TDSPP

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanakaka View Post
Stagehand,
I don't want to de-rail your thread here... I am watching it with great interest. I noticed that the Box of Hammers bike is kick start only. Thinking about going that route on a project I've got laying around in my garage. What are your thoughts?

FYI, the "project" is a pile of 1974-75 /6 motorcycle parts with a rebuilt R75 motor running R90 jugs and a title. Currently I've got a /6 5 speed on the bench. Also considering the lower geared rear drive. I've got two of them on the bench as well, one high and one low.

Cheers,
Claude

Hi CLaude- It did indeed start as a kick-start only four speed, but I changed my mind at several points along way, culminating in a five speed gearbox, with no kicker First off I decided that planning on kickin the bike only in Baja would be a rather dreary idea. it needed a starter. Ok, once I got past that, I spent a little time chasing down a strange vibration, which I thought might be the gearbox. I swapped it out with a known, relatively ok 5 speed, and while it did very little to solve the vibe, But I was left with a decent gearbox whose five speeds and their ratios I liked better, anyway.
Turns out I dont like the spreads between the 1-2-3 gears on the four-speed. A close ratio 6 six speed would be really great@! A five will do, and a four is just too wide.

Sounds like a nice pile of parts Thats a good, nice size motor. Depends what ground you want to cover, which FD you put on it. As I said, I thought my 37/11 (if thats what it was) was too low for the high-speed stuff, but nice for the rough.

cheers mate
Old 11-05-2013, 12:55 PM   #44
Dmaster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
Quote:
A R850R 37:11 FD gearing is lighter then a R100GS 34:11 3,5kg vs 3,8kg
housing of a R850R vs R100GS: 3,4kg vs 3,9kg
Hub R850R vs R100GS: 2,7kg vs 3,2kg
So a R850R stuff will save you: about 1.3kg BUT a brake disk and calliper will be heavier!
I'm planing doing the best of both worlds. Take the 37:11 gearing ( my 31:9 R65GS still does 167KM/h on the gps....
and in the dirt i rarely come above 130KM/h)
put it in the R100GS FD housing, and use the R100GS hub.
I machined one down to: 2,9kg
And one more advantage, to make a R11XX drive shaft work on a R100GS FD you need to machine a groove so the bottom u jont isn't moving to the wrong place.... (i guess)
BUT i THINK it will fit, not sure jet.
Dmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 01:36 PM   #45
Stagehand OP
+/- V TDSPP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmaster View Post
A R850R 37:11 FD gearing is lighter then a R100GS 34:11 3,5kg vs 3,8kg
housing of a R850R vs R100GS: 3,4kg vs 3,9kg
Hub R850R vs R100GS: 2,7kg vs 3,2kg
So a R850R stuff will save you: about 1.3kg BUT a brake disk and calliper will be heavier!
I'm planing doing the best of both worlds. Take the 37:11 gearing ( my 31:9 R65GS still does 167KM/h on the gps....
and in the dirt i rarely come above 130KM/h)
put it in the R100GS FD housing, and use the R100GS hub.
I machined one down to: 2,9kg
And one more advantage, to make a R11XX drive shaft work on a R100GS FD you need to machine a groove so the bottom u jont isn't moving to the wrong place.... (i guess)
BUT i THINK it will fit, not sure jet.
my head is swimming with all the numbers

All this is dependent on Paul getting back to me soon with some kind of number i can work towards. Otherwise, we look at bracing a regular frame.