Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2013, 08:01 PM   #91
Stagehand OP
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonLargiader View Post
Drum Vs. disk.... the disk eats up your offset. The drum has the spokes within an inch or so of the FD housing/cover seam, but the disk forces the spokes to be much farther away. That's why the disk bikes (Oilheads) have the swing arm offset to the right in the transmission.

Disc can be done. There's a thread here about it. The spoke lacing offset was pretty radical IIRC.

What gear ratio are you shooting for? I'll start combing the parts bins...

Ok- what i have been thinking is that I am basing, well more than basing, I'm essentially making a Rooney bike, while doing partial assembly on both continents. Final assembly in the US. Regardless, this bike has been developed for the Safari, and events it resembles. That is essentially, a fast , long distance style. Nothing extraordinarily technical. Not too shabby though <--

ANyway, I think for a final drive ratio I should be able to reach speeds of 90-100 mph. I doubt very much I will ever go that fast, but if I were, it would be hte fastest I would go, so I dont need to plan to go any faster than that. I doubt very much I will ever go over 85, and thats at 5th gear screaming at 7K's or so. Its actually quite fast

That puts it in the PD final drive ratio, or thereabouts, which should also be the 1100 ratio. 3.09, I think?
Old 11-09-2013, 08:21 PM   #92
villageidiot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand View Post
creating the 850 is kind of similar.. you just start with a 650 instead of a 100. I am led to believe that with the 650 you start by machining the R100 cylinders down to match the R65 pushrod angles, and get some short pistons like you say. You keep the crank and rods because they are already short. also have to do a bunch of headwork like port sizing and dual plugging but in effect you are talking the same conversion. I wonder if the R65 stuff is lighter to begin with, though?
im sure the difference in weight is only due to the fact the parts are smaller...... smaller is lighter.

carillo, or oliver can make ya pretty much any rod etc...... i dont know how much lighter or stronger they are from stock..... never heard of an airhead rod breaking.

i guess its kind of a 6 in one hand half dozen in the other type a situation as to whether to de stroke a 100, or go bigger bore on a 65.
villageidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 05:57 AM   #93
AntonLargiader
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,126
Quote:
Anyway, I think for a final drive ratio I should be able to reach speeds of 90-100 mph.
So with the 3.09 FD, you don't even need the tall fifth as long as you are still pulling nicely at 6000 RPM. That leaves you room to go to 3.20 or even shorter, if you do use the tall 5th. It all comes down to how you want to optimize the gaps.
Old 11-10-2013, 10:30 AM   #94
Prutser
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 879
Quote:
I wonder if the R65 stuff is lighter to begin with, though?
The R65 heads are 0,5 kg lighter each than the R80 or R100 heads. I'm not sure about the rest.

If you are looking for a fork try to find an '96 RMZ250 right side up. They have closed cartridges and almost no stiction.

R100GS'91 (sold)
Prutser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 06:04 PM   #95
DiabloADV
Semi-Occasional

Oddometer: 2,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prutser View Post
The R65 heads are 0,5 kg lighter each than the R80 or R100 heads. .
Hmmm...I'd need to see data on that. Sounds like way too much.

'91 Bill Holland Steel w/Dura Ace[/SIZE]
'01 Z3 3.0 Coupe. The Clownshoe.
DiabloADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 04:40 PM   #96
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,804
So judging from your recent Flea Market posting, you have made your engine decision. Paul won you over.
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 04:44 PM   #97
Stagehand OP
+/- V TDSPP

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwaregrrl View Post
So judging from your recent Flea Market posting, you have made your engine decision. Paul won you over.
I was just testing the waters, and a fish jumped right into my boat! :lol
Old 11-13-2013, 05:35 PM   #98
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,804
Quote:
I was just testing the waters, and a fish jumped right into my boat! :lol
FYI....he's got lots of fish parts in his garage....and yea, it stinks. For whatever reason, Atlanta is a gold mine for airhead parts. I can get my hands on just about anything in a mater of hours.....or minutes if Fred, Brad, Len, Blaine, Kyle....shall I continue.....have the necessary item. Keep me in the loop for bits if you're having a hard time locating.
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 07:36 PM   #99
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,595
well this is one train wreck that will be fun to watch.....at least my wallet won't be sacrificed, but I'm watching!!!
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 05:20 PM   #100
Dmaster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloADV View Post
Hmmm...I'd need to see data on that. Sounds like way too much.
0,5 kg could be a bit optimistic but i'm sure its more than i thougt.
these heads are different. a huge part alloy is missing on the inside, and they are a bit smaler.
Dmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 01:26 PM   #101
Dmaster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
so the difference is, 0,4 kg each.
Dmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 11:12 PM   #102
Stagehand OP
+/- V TDSPP

Looks like this train wreck is Go for leaving the tracks

Soon as i plunk down a desposit, anyway

Have found a bottom end... kismetly, and figured it would simply be good sense to have the heads and cylinders machined down there, along with the pistons. They can be sent up here when done and balanced to the crank. I can get some carbs for christmas maybe, then piece toghether a late model DRZ front end, and get a five speed transmission refreshed, and wait until my birthday to get the inginiton system, and then christmas again for the rear shock and somehwere around there I will have a frame banging at the customs door, and I'll have ot figure out how to explain to the DMV that this metal thing that looks like a blown up version of the only part of the buffalo the indians didnt use is a legit vehicle safe for operation on public roads AND WE ARE INSERIOUS BUSINESS

BUt it will be a year long project at best, if only because thats the max rpm the cash flow can deliver.

So everybody: you can stop holding your breath

It looks like all the holes in the heads are getting bigger. Thats a little mass off. Probably use the thinner valve stems, too? (thanks for that, Anton)
Old 11-21-2013, 06:05 AM   #103
villageidiot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,270
Quote:
Looks like this train wreck is Go for leaving the tracks

Soon as i plunk down a desposit, anyway

Have found a bottom end... kismetly, and figured it would simply be good sense to have the heads and cylinders machined down there, along with the pistons. They can be sent up here when done and balanced to the crank. I can get some carbs for christmas maybe, then piece toghether a late model DRZ front end, and get a five speed transmission refreshed, and wait until my birthday to get the inginiton system, and then christmas again for the rear shock and somehwere around there I will have a frame banging at the customs door, and I'll have ot figure out how to explain to the DMV that this metal thing that looks like a blown up version of the only part of the buffalo the indians didnt use is a legit vehicle safe for operation on public roads AND WE ARE INSERIOUS BUSINESS

BUt it will be a year long project at best, if only because thats the max rpm the cash flow can deliver.

So everybody: you can stop holding your breath

It looks like all the holes in the heads are getting bigger. Thats a little mass off. Probably use the thinner valve stems, too? (thanks for that, Anton)
I really think you ought to buy a frame with a title and chop out that vin tube section and have It welded into the frame somewhere, somehow. Then you're way ahead of the dmv game.
villageidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 09:01 AM   #104
photomd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 677
As for titling the bike, I'd look into your DMV very carefully. Down here we just delt with 6+ months of run around on a bitsa BSA Goldstar (modified A10 frame with no title, a new Absaf 500cc engine, the correct front end and a standard tranny). Needless to say, its not a real Goldstar, but it's a great runner. It was complete PITA for the owner: numerous trips to the DMV locally, over to Columbia (150 mile round trip) and finally the title came through. If there's an easy way to do it, I'd look into it. Sorry to be a stick in the mud, just trying to save you some grief.

And BTW...get on with it. I can't wait to see this thing.
1998 CR250
photomd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 09:05 AM   #105
Stagehand OP
+/- V TDSPP

I suspect the no-titled frame was your issue, and Vermont can take care of that no problems, with only a bill of sale. Hell, I didnt even need to show ID when I registered the Boxer of Hammers, and I dont even live in Vermont.

When I spoke to the technical help desk at the DMV- he sounded like it wouldnt necessarily be any kind of deal breaker.

But for sure I will keep you updated.