boboneleg
we can rebuild him.

Oddometer: 739
Wow, this is fantastic, very inspiring
Old 11-13-2013, 06:23 AM   #48
JohnnyTh
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 222
Your picture of the small church on the mountain in Greece made me smile. I have the sampe pic on my computer. Looks like we stoped at the exact same spot to get a pic.

Love your report!

Johnny
JohnnyTh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 06:41 AM   #49
Redkrouge
Independent

Oddometer: 108
Thumb

I did some kilometers in Albania, to go from Macedonia to Kosovo. Great people and very nice country

The Odessa File
Four days off on the roads of Switzerland
Redkrouge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 12:31 PM   #50
Rose
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
Great pictures, amazing views

I'm really starting to get excited about our trip there next spring!
Old 11-14-2013, 12:00 PM   #51
Louisdut OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 636
Peshkopi to Kukes Day 5

Before our trips a big part of the fun to me is in the planing, I read ride reports & books but getting good information and tracks off other inmates is always good

I spent a fair few hours with my head in google earth making tracks then converting them into GPX for our GPS’s which gave us lots of options on our trip

We had planed to ride Albania 06 track log (in blue on the picture) which followed the river then head to Kukes for the night, now using google earth can be a bit hit and miss for me as I’m no expert (luckily for me we didn’t have to many tracks that didn’t work for us) but this is a great example see the green track marked on the picture it looked like it was a bridge to me, I must have been a little unsure as I did make another track log just incase (pink track) if we wanted to ride Albania 020

Not that it was a problem as we were not going to cross the river here anyway but its no bridge

This is were we met George (I think that was his name ?) as we were looking at a few different roads and he kindly showed us the way we wanted to go by leading us on his bike to the edge of the village

Now that looks more like a bridge

Could be difficult at the start

I know lets make a ramp

Ok this mite not be a good crossing point (I’m sure the hardcore of you would give it go)

Looks were its made

So we carried on following the road

What a great place to have some lunch with a view

Then we started to climb and left the river and headed to Kukes

Were I had a hotel way pointed but as we got closer we could see it had not been open for a few years

Nicky had spotted signs to another hotel

Which had bike parking behind these metal doors

Pictures form the hotel roof bar, looks like the blue roof tank sales man has been doing well

After a quick drink we went out to explore Kukes and found out Kukes took in 450,00 Kosovo refugees in 1999

We sat having drinks in a road side cafe well Nicky took great pictures of the flag

Yep we were missing our dogs

This is the route we rode

Louisdut screwed with this post 11-16-2013 at 11:15 AM
Louisdut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 12:56 AM   #52
live2ridetahoe
RN

Oddometer: 1,313
Loving this RR!

JG
live2ridetahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 06:21 AM   #53
JohnnyTh
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 222
Found my Picture. Looks like you stoped a few yards up the road... And got a better Picture then me :)

BTW that big metall bridge is a military Bailey bridge.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bailey_bridge
JohnnyTh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 10:29 AM   #54
Berin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 481
Sorry, everyone, I'm a day behind here and still leaving Berat for Peshkopi! (anyone that knows me will be unsurprised by this....)

Leaving Berat proved difficult for a moment, as there aren't really any traffic rules and we were too risk averse to throw ourselves into the never ending stream of traffic we needed to cross to get out of town until the local police helped us by stopping the traffic and letting us across!

We left Berat on some nice shiny EU funded tarmac, following lush, fertile and very prosperous looking lowlands, more or less following the river valley. We saw many kinds of fruit being grown and lots of vineyards. Riding along, I then smelt a very familiar smell which I wasn't expecting. I used to be an oil-field chemist, and what I smelt was crude oil! Alongside the orchards, vineyard and fruit trees there were nodding donkeys, hauling black crude up from the depths. Much of it was spilling on the ground, hence the smell of oil.
We stopped for lunch in a roadside restaurant,

before crossing over the river into Elbesan.

In general, this area seems well populated, with farms and industry, until the ground began rising up as we headed toward the border with Macedonia and the mushroom picking guards. Higher up, the landscape was bleak and remote. We stopped a run-down looking hotel on the trail, and were soon surrounded by a group of young, shifty looking men, who has been drinking all day. Still, that's what high-power mode on the 690 is for! We passed some not-very inviting looking villages, and noted what we thought might be Gjakmarrja towers.

Once past this, the ride brightened with the weather, and we continued on up towards Peshkopi, our hotel, dinner, and the French!
Berin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 11:01 AM   #55
Berin
Gnarly Adventurer

The English and the French. We still really haven't got over William shooting Good King Harry in the eye, in an unwarranted attack nearly a thousand years ago (although William and his men weren't really French, they were Northmen from Scandinavia who had made Northern France their own).

In the Middle Ages we were at war, on and off, for a hundred years. They call us Rosbif's and decry our cooking, we point out that France has significantly lower sales of soap than anywhere else in Europe. We have Jaguar, Aston Martin, Triumph, Norton in our heritage. They have, err, Peugot.

Anyway. In last years adventure to Morocco we'd been well and truly tucked up by a pair of the weaselly garlic-munchers who'd sent us on a wild-goose chase down a piste that didn't go, and we ended up miles from anywhere in the dark facing a night out on the hills with no tents, until we stumbled across Ahmed who let us kip on his floor. But that trip (the Tale of the Foot-Eating Monster) is, as they say, another story.

We'd stashed our bikes, and as we set out to check out Peshkopi's finest eating establishments, I noticed a big, loaded up BMW RT,two-up, with French plates, stopped at the side of the road. I went up to see if I could help, as we'd already found a good hotel. They pooh-poohed my schoolboy French and told me in English they had found a much better hotel than ours, and what's more it was cheaper.

Questioning why we had bothered saving their arses in two world wars, we set off for dinner.

Later, after dinner, we were having drinks (it's my habit to sample the local spirit of every place I visit. It's not always a good idea...) and they came and plonked themselves down at our table, and proceeded to moan on about Albania, the crap roads, the unfriendly people, and, oddly, the British NHS. They gave us a tale of woe about an altercation with the ferry operators up at Fierza lake. They talked about the route they were going to take, which was the dirt piste we had come up by, and asked if it was OK for them. We told them it would be fine.....

France 1. England 1.
Old 11-15-2013, 11:03 AM   #56
Berin
Gnarly Adventurer

And, our hotel was nicer than theirs, too.
Old 11-15-2013, 12:20 PM   #57
macarron
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Quite a solid bridge, but useless.

Hard core adventure! Keep it coming.
Old 11-15-2013, 01:25 PM   #58
buzzardair
Shrubbery Adventurer

Oddometer: 275
buzzardair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 01:55 AM   #59
Dr JM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
You may have guessed that Berin's role in the group is as a rather "special" Cultural Attaché!

Come and ride with us - Oxford TRF
www.trf.org.uk
Dr JM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 01:58 AM   #60
Dr JM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by macarron View Post
Quite a solid bridge, but useless.

Hard core adventure! Keep it coming.
As team medic, I wasn't too keen on all this hazardous bridge exploration. I'm the nervous looking one at the far back of the picture!

Come and ride with us - Oxford TRF
www.trf.org.uk
Dr JM is offline   Reply With Quote