User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2013, 07:39 PM   #1
Pmc1296 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Intermittent Heated Grips

One year old F700GS. Last few rides heated grips have failed. Today, rode for 45 very cold minutes, no heat. Stopped to look at a map, turned off the bike and, voila, they started working. Any thoughts are appreciated.
Pmc1296 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 07:46 PM   #2
runnin4melife
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 803
Sometimes they overload/trip the canbus. Before you startup the bike make sure they are off and any other accessory power is as well. Once started you can crank stuff up. This has been my standard operating procedure which hasn't failed me. If they stop mid ride and they are the only accessory running you will have to look for shorts or anything else that may trip up the system.
runnin4melife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 07:54 PM   #3
beeper
Badger tickler

Oddometer: 761
Been having the exact same issue with mine. Dealer says it's the battery even though it seems to test and work fine. They are sending me a new one under warranty, problem is they have been on backorder since August.
beeper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 08:01 PM   #4
Warin
Retired

Oddometer: 1,582
At the moment it could be anything....

You need a way of telling if

Power is going to the grips ... a led across the grips would help... make the leads long so they can be moved to other points if you find no power to the grips .. you'll need to check other points then.
Warin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 10:09 PM   #5
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,589
I have the same problem but only with my left grip.

I put the multi meter across it and there is continuity.

Voltage appears to be intermittent.

Wiring all appears intact and undamaged, connectors appear fine.

Now I have to start disassembling and checking back toward the CPU end of things.

Yay!

I think it'd be cheaper and easier to buy a set of after market grip heaters and fit those, using the CANBUS original feed to the right grip to switch it via relay direct from battery.
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 07:22 PM   #6
Vettel
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Same ongoing issues with my 650gs twin, '12.

From first start, its a 50/50 whether they will work or not. If they dont, nothing during the ride will get them going. I have to restart the bike, but there is no method or set thing i can identify that solves the issue. Stall it, stand down, up, in gear, neutral, wait 30 seconds, heat switch on or off.... Nothing makes sense at all. Its totally random.

Has been into the dealer now 3 times, new switch x 2 and new hand grips. Still noy joy. It being intermitiant, i understand its hard to get it solved, and they have been very good about taking the bike back in, but it would be nice if on a -2 deg c day, i could rely on them working!
Old 11-03-2013, 10:52 PM   #7
dpm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 138
sounds like a soft battery.
dpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 11:31 PM   #8
Les1
n00b

Oddometer: 5
I think it may be a battery issue as well. 2010 battery, never used an external charger. When very cold or not used for days at a time, grips will only work after run for a bit, but it requires that I turn the key off. Then on restart they work fine, and keep working fine. I am thinking about purchasing a charger!
Les1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 05:16 AM   #9
Vettel
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Dealer has checked the battery, starting is very good and it does sit on a junior charger on occassion. I have no thoughts of it being the battery at all. To me, its either a swithch (stand or handgrip switch) or a shorting issue, tripping the canbus.
Old 11-04-2013, 07:25 PM   #10
beeper
Badger tickler

Oddometer: 761
Thinking it's a battery issue so I kept it on the charger over the weekend and today the grips worked consistently when turning them on shortly after starting the bike. Although the battery tests fine perhaps it looses just enough juice during starting to trip the canbus then recovers once the bike has been running a bit.
As an auto mechanic I've seen batteries cause some strange issues even when they seem to be working fine, so I'm hoping it's just a battery issue. I'll be keeping the charger on it every night in the meantime while waiting for the new battery to arrive.
beeper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 03:21 AM   #11
Dewtwo
old trail rider!

Oddometer: 60
I had a 90 mile round trip last night for a meeting on my 6 week old 800gs.
The heated grips didn't work going.
After 2 hr. meeting they worked coming home!
I did wash the bike yesterday, thought that possibly water was issue.
I guess I'll be watching this thread, see what I learn!
Dewtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 07:01 AM   #12
bmwroadsterca
RadioFlyer

Oddometer: 109
I read somewhere that the ZFE will shut down the grips if the charging system is unable to maintain adequate voltage as a means of lowering overall current draw. I would think that if the ZFE shuts down the circuit it won't be powered up again until the ignition is cycled. There are a number of reasons why the charging system might not maintain adequate voltage - bad battery, bad stator, bad regulator, too much current draw (aux lights + heated clothing +.........).
mike

Postscript:
There is actually a reference to this in the manual (imagine that!):
"The increase in power consumption caused by the grip heating can drain the battery
if you are riding at low engine speeds. If the charge level is low, grip heating is switched
off to ensure the battery's starting capability."

bmwroadsterca screwed with this post 11-05-2013 at 08:33 AM Reason: Located reference in owner's manual
bmwroadsterca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 08:32 PM   #13
Dewtwo
old trail rider!

I'll buy that!
Thanks
Old 01-28-2014, 09:09 PM   #14
Dewtwo
old trail rider!

Damn grips are really pissing me off!....intermittent issues even with battery fresh off tender, on 5 mo. old bike!!!!!!
The two coldest rides I've taken, New Years Day, and today.
Nearly ruined N.Y. ride, they did came on with some of my reboot attempts that day.
Did ruin today's ride cause it was 20 degrees. And with 6 attempts to reboot system. No heated grips. Had to go home!!!!!!
Dealer 160 miles away.
Conversation with service writer a few weeks ago, he confirmed the voltage theory we've discussed in the past is his theory as well.
But sometimes it doesn't matter how well the charging system is ready and warmed up,... nothing.
I hate intermittent problems, it takes me too long to just realize it's
BROKEN!!!!!!.......Don't plan rides on 2x degree days till I get the bike fixed.
To think My Ducati dealer is 2 miles away....& I traded it for this 800GS...
SHIT
Old 01-28-2014, 11:06 PM   #15
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowy View Post
I have the same problem but only with my left grip.

I put the multi meter across it and there is continuity.

Voltage appears to be intermittent.
Just in case you didn't sort this out yet... the left heated grip is a common failure. On mine and several others' one of the soldered wire connections to the grip element comes loose and gives intermittent issues. I was really frustrated trying to figure mine out until I realized the varying resistance reading I was seeing were due to the changes in the amount of force I applied when pressing the probes into contact with the joint. More pressure and good readings. Less pressure and all sorts of screwy numbers. Then you hit a point where the CANBUS decides it's an issue and shuts the grip down until you cycle the key.
There was a good thread on here with pictures of what I'm talking about, maybe it can be found with a search - I'm just too lazy right now. The connections are forward on the grip and just about where it flares out to meet the switch gear. I bet if you squeeze (and hold) right there before you flip the switch on you can make that left grip work.
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote