User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2014, 02:38 PM   #1
neduro OP
Addict

Oddometer: 11,770
2014 Cycle World Adventure Rallies- Sierras and Rockies

The website for the 2014 Cycle World Adventure Rally is up and accepting entries.

There are two this year: one in Gunnison, CO July 24-27, and a second in Lakeshore, CA September 25-28.

Now, in observance of my rule that no thread should have more than 3 paragraphs before a stunning picture:

The layout of the event is unique, and in my totally biased opinion, superior, to anything else. The rally is a competition for teams, which you can take as seriously (or not) as you care to.

There are two ways to get points:

1) By finding bonuses (bonii?) that we have selected all over the area surrounding base. There are far more of these bonii than any team can hope to get to, so no two routes will be alike. This is advantageous for a bunch of reasons- first, you aren't stuck in a giant pack of riders eating dust. Second, you can choose what kind of riding you want to do- technical or easy, paved or dirt, near or far, and make a bonii plan that matches up with that. So, you get to have the kind of ride YOU feel like. Third, to me, adventure riding isn't about riding a known route in a big pack- where's the adventure in that?

2) By completing special skills tests at base. These are pretty loosely defined- it may be a trials-like section to test your bike control, or it might be a tire change... in any event, it's a great time to stand around and bench-race and poke fun at your buddies, which is about half of what motorcycling is about in my experience.

The cost is $550 per person which includes everything but gas and bar tab- it does include 3 nights in a hotel, all your meals, and a whole bunch of schwag including the bonus books and maps:

Last year, we had an absolute blast.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgyA67XdaWg

Hope to see you there!

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 03:50 PM   #2
darkstarmoto
Am I evil? Yes I am

Oddometer: 322
Sweet! A reason (like I really needed one) to run back out to CO!!
Old 03-24-2014, 07:19 AM   #3
neduro OP
Addict

Posting a follow-up as registrations are open and filling up quite nicely. If you're on the fence, now is the time to get your space!

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
Old 03-28-2014, 07:19 PM   #4
BykBoy
Meshuganeh

Oddometer: 511
Looks like a great event! I'm seriously considering it as a followup to the KTM National Rally in Taos one week earlier. It would be quite a trip from Reston VA... But surely worth the effort.

What is the cancellation policy? All I could find on the website is: "50% within 48 hours".
Does this mean 50% back if:

(a) canceling 48 hours before the event?
-or -
(b) canceling within 48 hours from registration?

If (a), is there a 100% refund if canceling more than 48 hours before the event? A little more clarity would be nice...
Old 03-28-2014, 09:17 PM   #5
neduro OP
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BykBoy View Post
Looks like a great event! I'm seriously considering it as a followup to the KTM National Rally in Taos one week earlier. It would be quite a trip from Reston VA... But surely worth the effort.

What is the cancellation policy? All I could find on the website is: "50% within 48 hours".
Does this mean 50% back if:

(a) canceling 48 hours before the event?
-or -
(b) canceling within 48 hours from registration?

If (a), is there a 100% refund if canceling more than 48 hours before the event? A little more clarity would be nice...
Not sure, but I'll find out and post here!

Old 04-10-2014, 02:49 PM   #6
neduro OP
Addict

Sorry, I'm behind the 8 Ball. The policy is 100% refund if outside 48 hours of the event, 50% within 48 hours. Hope that makes sense!

Old 04-10-2014, 07:04 PM   #7
BykBoy
Meshuganeh

Oddometer: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro View Post
Sorry, I'm behind the 8 Ball. The policy is 100% refund if outside 48 hours of the event, 50% within 48 hours. Hope that makes sense!
Cool. That's what I was hoping for.
Old 04-12-2014, 12:34 AM   #8
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,419
Sweet!
Justin said the one last year was a great time.

I'm liking there is a version in Colorado this year!
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350

eakins screwed with this post 04-12-2014 at 12:39 AM
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 02:41 PM   #9
jawn
Taco Monster

Oddometer: 57
Small bikes?

On the Cycle World website it says: "Winning the Adventure Cup will require riding both on- and off-road, so we recommend machines of 650cc or more."

Anyone who's done this think a WR250R would be a problem? I'm thinking specifically the Sierra edition (might be worth the trip!).
jawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 01:41 PM   #10
jerdog53
Crop Dusting Everywhere

Oddometer: 3,743
Looks like a good time!

"Shorter of breath and one day closer to death"
jerdog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 05:00 PM   #11
eakins
Butler Maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawn View Post
On the Cycle World website it says: "Winning the Adventure Cup will require riding both on- and off-road, so we recommend machines of 650cc or more."

Anyone who's done this think a WR250R would be a problem? I'm thinking specifically the Sierra edition (might be worth the trip!).
Your WRR could rip along for hours on end at 75+mph so I sure don't see why not? They may have that wording on there so people do not show with small dirt bikes and not like the paved roads needed.

Now if there was an official entry rule of only large dual-sports and adv bikes then that is a different story.
Old 04-23-2014, 09:08 PM   #12
neduro OP
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
Your WRR could rip along for hours on end at 75+mph so I sure don't see why not? They may have that wording on there so people do not show with small dirt bikes and not like the paved roads needed.

Now if there was an official entry rule of only large dual-sports and adv bikes then that is a different story.
Yup, I rode a WRR at last years Sierra edition one day and had an absolute blast. The goal in the announcement was to make sure people knew it required a balance of pavement and dirt.

Old 06-11-2014, 12:14 PM   #13
eakins
Butler Maps

Here is more info:
http://www.cycleworld.com/2014/05/28..._6yjM.facebook

The Cycle World Adventure Rally Rockies Edition (held in beautiful Gunnison, Colorado) is coming up soon, July 24-27, and we’re still seeking a few riders to flush out the field for this friendly competition, which will probably go down as the most epic adventure ride of your year, possibly even of your life. Interested? The following questions and answers will help shed some light on this amazing event, which has been created with help from our friends Justin Bradshaw of Butler Maps and Ned Suesse of Double Take Mirrors:

What are you competing for?
Honor? Glory? Bragging rights? An end to world injustice? A cool custom trophy? Four of the five at least.

Is the Adventure Rally Rockies Edition doable for most riders?
You bet! You’ll need to be a reasonably proficient rider, but the navigation element is the great equalizer here, favoring good clear thinking over flat-out speed and riding ability. At the inaugural Cycle World Adventure Rally Sierra Edition, a modern telling of the classic “The Tortoise and the Hare” fable was lived out as a team that studied the map and stuck to its plan beat a team of much faster riders.

How do you score points?
Several ways. At Bonus Locations, you’ll need to Instagram images of you and your team’s motorcycles to the supplied hashtags in the Clue Book. Locations are rated Green, Blue, and Black, based on the level of difficulty to reach them. A Green far from Base, for instance, might have the same (or an even greater point value) than a Black located close to Base.

Additional points can be gained by participating in Special Tests set up at Base. While fun, these give riders an opportunity to practice their skills and learn from our rider coaches. Perhaps most important, the tests help participants determine which Bonus Locations are within reach, given their level of riding skill.

Is the event all-inclusive?
Yes! That makes it easier to participate and budget. You’ll get everything you need except for gas, on-the-trail lunches and any post-ride libations. The event package includes a three-night stay (double occupancy), six meals, navigation materials, an event T-shirt, sticker, commemorative number plate decal, and sponsor materials. Packages are available for team riders ($550 per person) or for an individual ($650 for a private room), which will pair you with another rider or team for the navigational parts of the event. A camping option is also available, but campers must participate in group meals because many of the event particulars are discussed during them.

The Cycle World Rally Rockies Edition—your chance to have a blast with fellow ADV riders and perhaps even take home the Adventure Rally Cup trophy—takes place over three days. Participants need to arrive at noon at the Inn at Tomichi Village on Thursday, July 24, for orientation and the first round of Special Tests. The Rally will finish on Sunday, the 27th. A complete event schedule will be released soon.

Learn more and sign up at:
http://www.cycleworld.com/2014/04/17...7-2014-update/

Other information:
http://www.cycleworld.com/2014-adven...tion-overview/
Old 06-19-2014, 11:02 AM   #14
munozt
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Adv Rally Sierras

So how crazy would it be to enter this rally with no off-road experience and riding a Vstrom 1K? Are there enough route options to remain entertained staying on the paved and fire roads, or is there just too much technical stuff for this bike/rider combination? The website doesn't really provide a whole lot of detail about the event.
munozt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 11:44 AM   #15
neduro OP
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by munozt View Post
So how crazy would it be to enter this rally with no off-road experience and riding a Vstrom 1K? Are there enough route options to remain entertained staying on the paved and fire roads, or is there just too much technical stuff for this bike/rider combination? The website doesn't really provide a whole lot of detail about the event.
At both events, there are more points than you can get to on Pavement alone. So, it will offer a great excuse to take in some great roads, and if you add in easy dirt, there are even more options.

However, the scoring rewards a mixture of different kinds of bonuses, so it will be impossible to be competitive without leaving the pavement.