Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2014, 10:51 PM   #181
PeterW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by cba191 View Post
Ordered on the 8th, and it showed up today. Looks great and I'm still amazed at the speed of shipping.
Me too, I ordered mine just before Christmas and got a 'posted' acknowledgment back next day. (You need a life ), I'm impressed, but a few days later would have been fine.

One comment for the MkII, the inflation valve really needs a plug in it to stop sand and grit getting in when it's not in use. Yes, in the case would probably help, wouldn't fit on my bike with a case on or even a plastic bag around it. I grabbed an electrical faceplate screw cover and popped it in to do the job here.

Thanks
Pete
PeterW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 06:05 AM   #182
Motopumps OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterW View Post
Me too, I ordered mine just before Christmas and got a 'posted' acknowledgment back next day. (You need a life ), I'm impressed, but a few days later would have been fine.

One comment for the MkII, the inflation valve really needs a plug in it to stop sand and grit getting in when it's not in use. Yes, in the case would probably help, wouldn't fit on my bike with a case on or even a plastic bag around it. I grabbed an electrical faceplate screw cover and popped it in to do the job here.

Thanks
Pete
Hey Pete- Tell me more about the plug to stop sand and grit from getting in when not in use. A plug for the zero loss schrader valve fitting or another spot on the MotoPump? Not sure I am following.

Thanks!
03 ZX6R & '14 VFR800F & 89 Honda Hawk GT x2
Motopumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 08:22 AM   #183
cba191
wanna buy a monkey?

Oddometer: 676
I think he's referring to a dust cap covering the hose compartment.
cba191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 09:24 AM   #184
Motopumps OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cba191 View Post
I think he's referring to a dust cap covering the hose compartment.

Ahhh. I got it.

A tighter fitting case should allow it to be stored under the seat if it fits without one now, but I understand the issue.

Let me play with this idea for a while. Thinking some sort of outlet childproofing cover would work...
Old 01-12-2014, 11:00 PM   #185
PeterW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motopumps View Post
Hey Pete- Tell me more about the plug to stop sand and grit from getting in when not in use. A plug for the zero loss schrader valve fitting or another spot on the MotoPump? Not sure I am following.

Thanks!
Schrader, been years since I found out what bad news blowing grit into a tyre stem was, but it's been a long lived memory.

If you don't have a core removal tool on you and maybe a spare core it makes for a long day ;)

On my bike anyway, the pump will likely sit there unused for months, and grit tends to get blown into the area where the pump is stored so not having the end of the Shrader open all that time makes sense to me. Easy enough to work around in the short term, but it's one of those "wouldn't it be nice things" that may have a near 0 cost to address.

Cheers
Pete
PeterW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 04:34 AM   #186
Motopumps OP
Beastly Adventurer

Got it.

For this pump a cover could be made for the entire opening or just a plug for the zeroloss air chuck if being stored without the case.

For those folks following along, if you are concerned about grit, and don't have a plug, perhaps running the pump for a moment before attaching it to the schrader valve is the safe approach.

Having been watching this industry and building pumps since 2005, I can't think of any pump I have seen on the market that has a cover for the air chuck, so this could be another first to market feature.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Rob
Old 01-14-2014, 09:43 PM   #187
OldF7Guy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
Got my pump and dyna plug tool in the mail box today. All of it looks to be very high quality to me. Love the bag and the extra cords that come with it. Shipping was quick and it arrived in excellent condition. I like the oversized bag for other stuff besides the pump but that is me.

A word of warning to anyone else that orders. I was excited to get into the package and pulled out a pocket knife to open it all and almost sliced the bag that it goes in. Lucky for me I just missed it so be careful when you open your package.
OldF7Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 03:28 AM   #188
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,381
Hi Rob,

Really liking the features of this pump. Could you please post some comparison shots how it compares to the other alternatives that you offer, such as the Slime and the original MotoPump?

Space and size is always at a premium on my bikes when traveling, so a tight fitting cover/bag would be awesome.

Cheers,
Lukas

Tracker: https://share.delorme.com/LukasMatzinger
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 04:58 AM   #189
Motopumps OP
Beastly Adventurer

Pumps Comparison

Yes, happy to do that. I will try to get a full comparison posted tonight.

Last night was my oldest son's 23rd birthday, so the evening was filled with family events.
Old 01-15-2014, 05:02 AM   #190
Motopumps OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldF7Guy View Post
Got my pump and dyna plug tool in the mail box today. All of it looks to be very high quality to me. Love the bag and the extra cords that come with it. Shipping was quick and it arrived in excellent condition. I like the oversized bag for other stuff besides the pump but that is me.

A word of warning to anyone else that orders. I was excited to get into the package and pulled out a pocket knife to open it all and almost sliced the bag that it goes in. Lucky for me I just missed it so be careful when you open your package.
That is a good point. The best way to open the padded poly bubble envelope that the package comes in is to cut the end with a scissors. Get one blade of the scissors inside and one outside and slide it across the end. If you do use a knife, be very careful as the neoprene bag is only one layer down. Scissors are recommended.

Thanks for the pointer, OldF7Guy!
Old 01-15-2014, 08:37 AM   #191
thetable
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,378
I finally pulled the trigger. Now for the waiting game.
thetable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 08:47 AM   #192
Motopumps OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetable View Post
I finally pulled the trigger. Now for the waiting game.
Don't worry! You won't have to wait long...
Old 01-15-2014, 06:06 PM   #193
Motopumps OP
Beastly Adventurer

Pump Comparison

Ok, Lukas- Here it is.

Let me know what questions this raises for folks.

MotoPumps.com currently sells three pumps. The cleverly named SLIME Power Sport Inflator (PSI), the "Classic" MotoPump (in a basic and deluxe version, with the basic having Cig plug only, the Deluxe version has SAE, Cig, Battery Clips and Battery Ring Terminals. Deluxe compared here.) and the new MotoPump Mini Pro inflator.

Prices:
SLIME PSI - $34.99
Classic MotoPump (Deluxe) - $44.99
Classic Motopump (Cig Plug Only) $34.99
MotoPumps Mini Pro Inflator $79.99 ($69.99 on ADV)
MotoPumps Mini Pro Inflator (SAE & Cig Plug only, no case) $59.99

Weight: (including case and connectors)
SLIME PSI 1 pound 15 oz
Classic MotoPump (Deluxe) - 1 pound 11 oz
MotoPumps Mini Pro Inflator - 1 pound 8 oz

Dimensions (Main Pump Body):
SLIME PSI 4" x 4.9" x 2"
Classic MotoPump (Deluxe) - 4.3" x 3.3" x 1.6"
MotoPumps Mini Pro Inflator - 4.75" x 5.75" x 2"

Note that all the cords and hose store onboard on the Mini Pro, so the slightly larger size is actually doing something worthwhile.

Note the Classic MotoPump is narrower and generally fits under the seat of most motorcycles.

SLIME PSI and Mini Pro are the same width. The Mini Pro is smaller when packed in its case as the PSI case is thicker.

There is extra space in the Mini Pro's neprene case for a Dynaplug, tire tackle, etc.

Pumping Performance of the SLIME PSI and the Classic MotoPump are roughly equal, and only very slightly better than the Mini Pro.

So, what makes the Mini Pro worth the extra cost?

The onboard storage of the hose, electrical connectors, inflation fittings, the zero loss connector, accurate, steady backlit gauge, LED worklight, lighter overall weight, smooth, quiet motor and pump, maintenance free teflon rings in pump, low operating temperature and low current draw (4.75 amps vs 10) which makes it CAN BUS compatible for the BMW crowd, no heat issues so long run times are possible with no concerns and 5 year warranty.

Why is the PSI a good choice? Lower price, sturdy case, good performance, negatives are 8 minute run time limit per SLIME and significant heat generation.

Why is the Classic MotoPump a good choice? Smallest, anvil durable, lifetime warranty, best pumping performance with the negatives of no case and exposed gears.

Questions?

Here is a link to purchase any of the above variations:

MotoPumps Inflators

Motopumps screwed with this post 08-02-2014 at 06:00 AM
Old 01-19-2014, 02:28 PM   #194
thetable
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,378
As one of those people who refuses to trust manufacturer's statements, I must say I'm impressed with this pump.

I put it up against 4 275/65-18 truck tires from 33psi to 38psi. No real break between tires, just what time it took to disconnect, reconnect, and rearrange the power cable. When I was finished with the last tire, I could just feel minimal heat off the compressor. In comparison, putting 5psi into a 180/55-17 bike tire with the slime pump left me sitting for 20 minutes waiting for the pump to cool enough to put it away.

No, it's not fast at about 10 minutes per tire, but from what I saw, I'd have no problems running it all day long.

Pressure gauge, it's really easy to read, just rick solid climbing as the compressor works away. It reads 1.5lbs under my everyday gauge (not calibrated anytime in the last 5 years.) That's close enough for me.

My only complaint, I wish there was an extra couple feet on the power cord, but then again, most people don't have an extended cab on an eight foot bed.

I'm impressed, and I'd buy it again.

thetable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 09:43 AM   #195
Motopumps OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks for the report! Those *are* big tires!

The efficient motor and pump design do result in very low temps and long run times with no issues. We optimized for moto tires, but have been impressed with the performance on larger vehicles.

I do think we could have gotten another foot or two of power cord to stow in the space, but when we tried it, it was very hard to repack and deploy. You are right, most folks don't have a crew cab AND a long bed! If you have a trailer towing package, you can plug into the power source back there...