Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2013, 06:04 AM   #16
Lime
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
This will sound weird but, check the swing arm where it attaches for loose bearings. Mine was just a tiny bit loose and tightening it up seemed to help quite a bit.
Lime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 09:48 PM   #17
SR1 OP
In Western NC

Oddometer: 4,341
Pplummer, good things to check, for sure. You know, now that I think of it, the place that installed THIS tire might not have had a balancer at all...though it should have. HMM.... I'll get a Marc Parnes and try it here...

Lime, doesn't sound weird at all. That's part of what I and the Japanense guy talked about.
My TAT trip will hopefully bring more attention to the need for more Cancer Research! Please go to http://www.gofundme.com/bxkt74 and check it out! No money goes to me or family, all to cancer research! Please donate at the location!!! Thanks!
SR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 02:28 PM   #18
bemiiten
League of Adventures

Oddometer: 4,824
Headshake on a GS is more likely to be a case of not enough weight on the front. Start with more rear preload. Were the shocks sprung for your weight? It's also possible the front preload is set to high. Ohlins should have 10-12mm of initial preload on the spring.
bemiiten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 08:58 PM   #19
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,716
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill the bong View Post
remove some rear preload or add front shock preload.
+1
Old 11-06-2013, 09:57 PM   #20
SR1 OP
In Western NC

You guys have given me a few things to try...I'll try some over the weekend and see how it goes..
My TAT trip will hopefully bring more attention to the need for more Cancer Research! Please go to http://www.gofundme.com/bxkt74 and check it out! No money goes to me or family, all to cancer research! Please donate at the location!!! Thanks!
Old 11-07-2013, 09:21 AM   #21
VEGASGSA
Need more Summer

Oddometer: 6,769
Hmmm...

One person for steeping steering angles..a couple for relaxing steering angles...

A few for tires...one for a ball joint (very possible), one for swingarm bearings..possible..not probable..under power the swingarm would set in one postion..you would feel sloppiness on accel/decel..Stuck caliper, possible..warped rotor, another possibility and many bikes had the problem. And one for adding weight ln front..

Seems a little all over the map to me..

Check front rim for true..and it doesn't have to be perfect..but close, check tire balance, if needed spin on rim..(I just installed a new set, no weight marks, front was terrible, broke down, spun it 90 degrees, smooth as glass)..set your sag as directed by Ohlins..should be about 30% of travel, both front and rear. Check front rotors, hot spots? No? They're fine.. Ball joint..

If still having problems, well then we need to delve deeper.
VEGASGSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 03:41 PM   #22
Burnszilla
BurnsMoto.com

Oddometer: 1,319
What front tire are you running? A conti trail attack?
Burnszilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 06:02 PM   #23
SR1 OP
In Western NC

Yes, all over the place, but all good thoughts. I'll go in that order.

It's a nearly new TKC-80.
Old 11-13-2013, 03:58 AM   #24
SR1 OP
In Western NC

The ball joint is solid, so says the wife who was watching. I was pushing and pulling pretty hard.

Next, tire balance.
Old 11-13-2013, 05:14 AM   #25
pplummer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR1 View Post
Pplummer, good things to check, for sure. You know, now that I think of it, the place that installed THIS tire might not have had a balancer at all...though it should have. HMM.... I'll get a Marc Parnes and try it here...

Lime, doesn't sound weird at all. That's part of what I and the Japanense guy talked about.
For a quick check, I'd take the front off and give it to a shop to spin balance it, but before you remove it, check to see how true it is. Have you tried adjusting the tire pressure dramatically to see if it changes the characteristics of the wobble? I have a Marc Parnes balancer as well and they work fantastic. Marc is such a great guy to work with. Where are you in WNC?
Old 11-14-2013, 03:02 AM   #26
SR1 OP
In Western NC

I am not in WNC. I am in South Korea. Home is WNC. This is why I'm a little on my own. The language barrier is enough to usually make me avoid trying to do things such as balancing...
Old 11-14-2013, 08:00 AM   #27
Gillus
High Desert Rat

Oddometer: 672
My '11 GSA had that very light front end feel that the tuner pro in one of the first posts commented. It felt like it wanted to do a tank slapper but wouldn't. I commented to the dealer about it and they said that's the way they are.

A HyperPro steering damper and $500 later it is fixed . It is a pleasure to ride, winds are not an issue, steady as a rock behind a cement truck at speed. That was the only issue or thing I didn't like about the bike.

Look at a R1xxxR bike and they all have steering dampers from the factory. Why this bike when the others don't but maybe should. Sounds like you checked everything else more than once.

Gillus screwed with this post 11-14-2013 at 08:06 AM
Gillus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 09:51 AM   #28
VEGASGSA
Need more Summer

Oddometer: 6,769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillus View Post
My '11 GSA had that very light front end feel that the tuner pro in one of the first posts commented. It felt like it wanted to do a tank slapper but wouldn't. I commented to the dealer about it and they said that's the way they are.

A HyperPro steering damper and $500 later it is fixed . It is a pleasure to ride, winds are not an issue, steady as a rock behind a cement truck at speed. That was the only issue or thing I didn't like about the bike.

Look at a R1xxxR bike and they all have steering dampers from the factory. Why this bike when the others don't but maybe should. Sounds like you checked everything else more than once.
Doesn't an R1200R have a 17" front? And a GS a 19"? So..assuming they share all the same front end geometry...which they don't..but if they did, the wheel size alone would relax the geometry enough to not warrant it.

Comparing an R to a GS is comparing apples to giraffes...

That being said..I think a damper is alwsys a welcome addition...but the two bikes have in common, a manufacturer...that's about it..
VEGASGSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 03:55 AM   #29
lumpy749
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
wobbles

They say a lot of front end peculiarities on motorcycles start at the back. I`d be checking paralever bearings, swing arm bearings and final drive bearings. Being worse under acceleration would suggest maybe it`s at the back. I have an old Ducati bevel and she used to act silly while under acceleration out of bends. More of a wallow than a head shake but after stiffening up the pre-load on the rear shocks she was back on rails
lumpy749 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 01:23 AM   #30
SR1 OP
In Western NC

Oh me...oh my...

Oh me...oh my...

Maybe I shouldn't have ever looked... Boy am I confused...

So I get my Marc Parnes balancer in the mail this week (already had the adapter) and today decide to get to balancing the wheels. Only got to the rear because of what I found and taking care of the baby, but it turned out, that was enough... Three peculiarities awaited me:

#1, that is, Firstly, upon attempting to loosen my lug nuts, I noticed that the rear tire would lift approx 1/4" or more every time I applied the usual counter-clockwise force to the rear lug nuts. Now, of course I thought...damn it, my bearings or FD is shot? But no, the entire swingarm moved when I tried to turn the lugs. Ok, let's take off the seat...what's going on??! Had to go through some weird body angles to both try to turn a lug and see the top rear shock mount at the same time, but I finally got it. Daggum thing was loose as a goose! Ok, tighten and loc-tite that,.. Even though it was loose, it seems that if the wobble/shake is under acceleration, this bolt being loose shouldn't be the culprit..should it?

2nd, er, Second...Now take the rear wheel off...ok....wheels off WHAT THE FUCK?! There is a worn spot on my swingarm right in front of the tire...(pics to follow)..hmm...wonder what that's from? To my untrained hand it's about 2mm deep. The spot is about 1.5" from the tire when the bike is on the centerstand... I do have a 140/80 Heidenau K60...could it be that the extra height, and my enjoyment of small (say 6-8" jumps) have created contact and wear? How's that possible?! I did see that there's a light mark on the underside of the mud guard all the way around, I'm obviously touching it lightly...and the Ohlins looks like it hits the bumptstop lightly...

• BTW, while the wheel was off I tried moving/twisting/lifting and tugging the FD in every direction I could...to my untrained hands (with both very light and very heavy inputs) I could not discern even one single RCH of movement (and we all know the RCH is the finest of all CH's). Is this "enough" of a test to decide that all the bearings in the lineup are not inducing slop?

And Finally...I mean, 3rd...I slap that wheel and tire on my balancer. I can tell it needs lots of weight, but in a different place than where my weights are now. So I peel 'em off (there was 1.75oz on the wheel already, but it was about 20 degrees out from where it was needed...Came to discover that my new 2.1 oz strip wasn't enough and I still needed 1.75 more to get it to balance! A total of 3.85 oz!! (pics to follow for this, too.)

So, this is one o'those "wears like iron" Heidenau K60's...I've still got a good 3k of "iron" left. The question is, do I ride around with nearly 4oz of weights on for the remainder, or do I just call it quits on this tire?! Survey says??? BTW, to make sure I didn't screw it up, I moved the Marc Parnes balances 90 degrees on the rim and did it again. Light spot was in the same place...

Alright, here are the pics. I'll get to the front later in the week I hope.

The swingarm wear:

Another look...those "scratches" are just where I rubbed some dirt off:

My lovely wheel weight assortment. Yes, it balances...:

SR1 screwed with this post 11-17-2013 at 01:30 AM