Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2013, 04:11 AM   #31
bemiiten
League of Adventures

Oddometer: 4,812
The mark on the swingarm appears to be from the guard for the shock. Just re-adjust it to clear.
bemiiten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 04:56 AM   #32
SR1 OP
I'm a Seoul Man...

Oddometer: 4,291
You are right. It wasn't obvious in person, but in the photo, and after reading your post, I went and looked...sure enough the shock protector is wearing at the swingarm. huh...

ok, that makes me feel better...what about that massive weight on the rim? Egads...
My TAT trip will hopefully bring more attention to the need for more Cancer Research! Please go to http://www.gofundme.com/bxkt74 and check it out! No money goes to me or family, all to cancer research! Please donate at the location!!! Thanks!
SR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 05:09 AM   #33
pplummer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
If you have access to break down the bead, I'd move the wheel on the rim 180 degrees and try again if you want to remove some of the weights. I'd balance the rim without the wheel to see what's up as well. Do you have TPMS on your bike? I do, and even my rims don't take that amount of weight. Sometimes, when the amount of weight is that severe, it's better to just run none. I don't have much experience balancing K60's and every tire balances differently, but are mostly consistent. Maybe some other folks will chime in on how K60's balance.

Just thinking about it, if it balances, I'd just try it and see what happens. They are fairly aggressive tires.

pplummer screwed with this post 11-17-2013 at 06:20 AM
pplummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 08:51 AM   #34
Gompie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by bemiiten View Post
Headshake on a GS is more likely to be a case of not enough weight on the front. Start with more rear preload. Were the shocks sprung for your weight? It's also possible the front preload is set to high. Ohlins should have 10-12mm of initial preload on the spring.
I agree with the font wheel loading. The only times I had headshake is when accelerating hard out of corners.

But preloading has nothing to do with wheel load. You can not change weight distribution by adjusting shocks. It is simply a function of:
- where you sit
- luggage on the rear
- how tall you are (or tall screens etc, they result in unloading the front), and this is even worse when accelerating.
Gompie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 08:57 AM   #35
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR1 View Post
You are right. It wasn't obvious in person, but in the photo, and after reading your post, I went and looked...sure enough the shock protector is wearing at the swingarm. huh...

ok, that makes me feel better...what about that massive weight on the rim? Egads...
There is a limit to the amount of weight you should have on the rim. In the case of a Hexhead it is 48 grams. I'm not sure about the oilhead, but you look like you have several ounces on it. That is way to much IMHO. I would rotate the tire on the rim 180 and try again.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 08:58 AM   #36
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gompie View Post
I agree with the font wheel loading. The only times I had headshake is when accelerating hard out of corners.

But preloading has nothing to do with wheel load. You can not change weight distribution by adjusting shocks. It is simply a function of:
- where you sit
- luggage on the rear
- how tall you are (or tall screens etc, they result in unloading the front), and this is even worse when accelerating.
Not true. You most definitely can change the wheel loading by adjusting preload.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 09:48 AM   #37
Gompie
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Not true. You most definitely can change the wheel loading by adjusting preload.

Jim
Maybe we have a language problem here. What i meant is the (static) force put on the road by the front and the rear tyre is NOT influenced by whatever suspension and/or suspension mods one puts in between the bike and the tyres. Fairly basic stuff this?

The head shake I've seen is when the font tyre does not put sufficient force on the road.
Old 11-17-2013, 10:28 AM   #38
VEGASGSA
Need more Summer

Oddometer: 6,661
Quote:
Maybe we have a language problem here. What i meant is the (static) force put on the road by the front and the rear tyre is NOT influenced by whatever suspension and/or suspension mods one puts in between the bike and the tyres. Fairly basic stuff this?

The head shake I've seen is when the font tyre does not put sufficient force on the road.
Hmmm..explain please..

If I increase rear preload, I effectively move all unsprung weight, up on the rear..the pivot point is the front axle....by increasing the preload, I rotate the center of gravity up and forward...how does this not impart more force on the front tire in a static situation?

The converse is also true..if I increase front preload, I raise all unsprung weight, up and back, again, pivoting on the rear axle, effectively increasing rear weight bias.

Correct?
VEGASGSA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 11:48 AM   #39
Gompie
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGASGSA View Post
Hmmm..explain please..

If I increase rear preload, I effectively move all unsprung weight, up on the rear..the pivot point is the front axle....by increasing the preload, I rotate the center of gravity up and forward...how does this not impart more force on the front tire in a static situation?

The converse is also true..if I increase front preload, I raise all unsprung weight, up and back, again, pivoting on the rear axle, effectively increasing rear weight bias.

Correct?
I don't know where to start.. By increasing preload you simply compress the spring. That has no effects on weight distribution on the bike. Ok It moves the rear up or down by a few mm, which has insignificant impact on front/rear loading

Are we on the same page? Take a car. Front/rear weight distribution is what it is? You can't change it, period.
Old 11-17-2013, 12:40 PM   #40
VEGASGSA
Need more Summer

Quote:
I don't know where to start.. By increasing preload you simply compress the spring. That has no effects on weight distribution on the bike. Ok It moves the rear up or down by a few mm, which has insignificant impact on front/rear loading

Are we on the same page? Take a car. Front/rear weight distribution is what it is? You can't change it, period.
You should straighten them boys at NASCAR, NHRA, RALLY, 00 out..all those cars have adjustable suspension...and use it to control weight transfer..and in NASCAR's case, to load specfic corners of the car...

When we screwed "weight jacks" on dirt track cars..we had all four wheels on scales..if you change one..the opposite corner changed a like amount...why?

EDIT..
Quote:
Additional Settings
Corner weights can also be affected by suspension and ride height settings. Changing these can effectively alter the stance of the vehicle, influencing front to rear or left to right bias
http://www.carsdirect.com/car-repair...-corner-scales

VEGASGSA screwed with this post 11-17-2013 at 12:48 PM
Old 11-17-2013, 01:47 PM   #41
Gompie
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGASGSA View Post
You should straighten them boys at NASCAR, NHRA, RALLY, 00 out..all those cars have adjustable suspension...and use it to control weight transfer..and in NASCAR's case, to load specfic corners of the car...

When we screwed "weight jacks" on dirt track cars..we had all four wheels on scales..if you change one..the opposite corner changed a like amount...why?

EDIT..

http://www.carsdirect.com/car-repair...-corner-scales

I'm sorry but don't see what you're pointing at. Suspension changes do not affect front/rear weight distribution on a bike or car. I'm not familiar with corner weights, but understand the basics. You have car that weights 2000 lbs. Ideally 500 lbs in each corner (i take). You tell me you can change that by suspension changes? I'd like to purchase shares in that technology
Old 11-17-2013, 02:16 PM   #42
VEGASGSA
Need more Summer

Quote:

Quote:
I'm sorry but don't see what you're pointing at. Suspension changes do not affect front/rear weight distribution on a bike or car. I'm not familiar with corner weights, but understand the basics. You have car that weights 2000 lbs. Ideally 500 lbs in each corner (i take). You tell me you can change that by suspension changes? I'd like to purchase shares in that technology
You are saying, we can't change weight distribution no matter what..I am saying we can..and have quoted two sources now that affirm my stance...

Quote:
Changing one spring perch will have the effect of changing the static loading and ride height on all four corners, so it is important to logically approach this.
http://www.rapid-racer.com/suspensio...Corner Weights
Old 11-17-2013, 02:17 PM   #43
VEGASGSA
Need more Summer

What we need..is some napkins to draw on..and beers..
Old 11-17-2013, 04:10 PM   #44
SR1 OP
I'm a Seoul Man...

Oddometer: 4,291
I probably only have one shot at salvaging this thread and the troubleshooting.

Gents, please, let's just move on "as if" changing preload changes the weight distribution. If you don't agree, please don't muddle the waters in this thread...the OP (that's me) believes it, so we will press on with that in mind. Whether we are "right" or "wrong" just let the thread go... Thanks! :)

Jim, not quite sure how to "go about" it operationally. Show up to the Korean shop halfway through the wear and pantomime "too much weight" and "turn the tire 180 degrees" Hmm...

What is the negative of having that much weight? (I haven't tried riding it yet...)
My TAT trip will hopefully bring more attention to the need for more Cancer Research! Please go to http://www.gofundme.com/bxkt74 and check it out! No money goes to me or family, all to cancer research! Please donate at the location!!! Thanks!
SR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 04:36 PM   #45
VEGASGSA
Need more Summer

Make a mark on your tire aligned with valve stem...break bead, twist tire on rim such that mark is on opposite side of valve stem..re inflate and balance.

As most handling issues are tire related and you're not the first..I would do the same on the front..or simply throw another tire on it to confirm. However, those that have walked in your shoes, have reported an improvement after a tire swap.

Sorry for the debate..however, it had/has everything to do with your problem. These bikes are showing themselves too finicky to tires..