Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2013, 08:10 AM   #31
Mikey Boy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00-SEB-00 View Post
Or was it?
Unfortunately by the time I put the wheel back on the bike and thought "ok, now let's find something to eat" the tyre was just flat again. How was this possible? Did I pinched the tube? I changed so many tubes already that I should know better. So started doing the whole job again, taking everything off and by that time the mosquitos came to help.Or to eat me alive, it's just a matter on how to look at it. I switched the tube with a new one that I carried as spare, fixed everything and thought for the second time that the job was done, until 5 minutes later the tyre was flat again. Now I started to get angry. With more force and cursing than necessary I dismantled the rear of the bike again for the third time in a row and took the whole tyre off and the tube to inspect the rim very closely as I was starting to wonder if the problem could come from there. And indeed, the rim was damaged on the inner side near a spoke and the rim protector was in very bad shape. In we were only in the first week of our trip...

So I left the bike like that there for the night and decided to try and get some sleep so we could figure out in the morning what to do. We went to bed, without food for a few hours of sleep...
This story brings back some memories of a 3 day ride I did a few weeks ago in the NV desert. We changed my friend's (Parx400) front flat and thought everything was great. Nope. Flat again. We tried another tube we had...nope. We took the tire off and inspected it and found out that the shop that changed my friend's tires before the trip had left the old valve-stem in there! It was puncturing every new tube we put in there. So on our third tube we figured it out but we were pretty pissed thanks to whatever that changed the tire. Anywho sorry to ramble. Great RR!
Old 11-06-2013, 08:30 AM   #32
AteamNM
Wonna Be ADVrider

Oddometer: 3,431

IN
AteamNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 12:28 PM   #33
Mr.JAJA
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200
guter Bericht

I am in, und abgezeichnet warte auf mehr.
Old 11-06-2013, 01:48 PM   #34
SunshineKim
La dolce far niente

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00-SEB-00 View Post

And then Kim went down for the first time this trip. Since I was riding 100m before her I didn't notice at first that she was missing in my mirror, but knowing that the sandy part had been tricky for me, I turned around when I could'nt see her anymore just to find her like this:

She looked really pissed at me and I thought the trip would be over. But Kim is tough so after a 10 minute break we started again.
Falling down is (was) easy...getting up, dusting yourself off and continuing with the same enthusiasm is a bit more tricky!
For the people who are wondering, yes it is me, the female part of this report.
SunshineKim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 01:54 PM   #35
Mikey Boy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineKim View Post
Falling down is (was) easy...getting up, dusting yourself off and continuing with the same enthusiasm is a bit more tricky!
Haha that is a great first post! A good friend of mine who I ride with all the time has a little squeaky horn on his handlebars. Anytime I eat shit he pulls up behind me and honks it a few times. It puts a smile on my face and pisses me off just enough to pick it up and go even faster.
Old 11-06-2013, 04:54 PM   #36
just jeff
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 559
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineKim View Post
Don't feel bad about dumping it in the sand. I found the front Mefo Explorer kinda sucks in sand and mud though it's pretty good on gravel.
Ride on.... justjeff
just jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 11:58 PM   #37
00-SEB-00 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by just jeff View Post
I found the front Mefo Explorer kinda sucks in sand and mud though it's pretty good on gravel.
You are absolutely right!
I choose these tyres as they last long and they do anything and everything, but they don't excell in anything, except lasting for a looong time.
Something I found rather important as I don't fancy carrying tyres with me on a bike and I don't want to change them every 8kkm. More on that later, once we'll change them during this trip...
Old 11-07-2013, 12:57 AM   #38
00-SEB-00 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

So, the next morning we got up early to try and find a solution for the bike. We were 15km west of Zhytomyr (UA) and I didn't fancy pushing the bike that far. So I made a few phone calls and finally after waiting the whole day, a guy turned up with a van to transport the bike to a shop to fix the rim. At that point I though "I should have pushed the bike, this would have been faster" but with what was to come, I'm glad I didn't.

It turned out that the guy was actually a MX champion so in a matter of minutes we made a friend for life. He took us to his home and his two sons started to fix the rim. In the meantime we got to know eachother and of course we just had to have our picture taken with the Ukrainian MX champion:

He spoke some German (one of the languages that we also speak) so we actually had some great time discussing everything and nothing. His wife was the mayor of the town and he was earning money (when not racing) traveling to Germany to buy Mercedes Sprinter spare parts and selling them in Ukraine for profit.

O yeah, they had some puppies so Kim just had to play a bit with them while I was blown away by an old Ural he had there.

The Ural was actually more than 40 years old and modified and reinforced to do 'tricks'. His father toured all over the USSR with it to give shows, most of the time riding only on the two wheels instead of the three. The spokes were reinforced to be able to carry the load.

We had great fun that evening, as I rode the Ural with Oleg behind me and Kim in the sidecar all over town and then Oleg and I changed place and we went back to his place on two wheels, with Kim and the sidecar in the air the whole time. Our bikes were ready by that time and we were not allowed to pay for anything. So we invited him for dinner as payback, or so we thought, but again, there was no way for us to pay for anything. After that some of his friends came over and he took Kim on the back of his KTM to do some wheelies on a looooong stretch of road there that goes straight for km's. This is the point that the first Contour camera stopped working...

Later we said our goodbyes to continue our journey and so we arrived in an old soviet hotel that probably did not see any tourist since the independence of Ukraine. We were the only guests, go figure why:

They also offered state of the art satellite telephone to anywhere you want, included in the price:

And should you happen to have neighbors in the first place, and their tv is to loud or so, the general switchboard is conveniently located in the middle of the hallway, so you can put everybody in the dark if you want to:

But it was cheap and we got a full apartment (that was bigger than the one we live in) for something like 10 after some bargaining.
Old 11-07-2013, 07:29 PM   #39
Creeker747
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 225
Well Done!

Subscribed........ Looks like you already have some heavy ADV hitters already in. Can't wait to see how the DRZ's faired. Pinch'n the tube three times? Been there, done that, quite the bummer.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!"
Creeker747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 02:30 AM   #40
00-SEB-00 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

At this time not a lot of offroad or extremes happened, but we hope you will enjoy the story nevertheless. The wilderness stuff is for in a few days... ;-)

We continued towards Kiev, the capital of UA to stay for a day or two and visit the city. All the beautifull monasteries and churches are well worth it so if you pass it, stay for a day or two.

In the meantime we found that my DRZ was leaking coolant fluid. Since I had everything checked and replaced before we left I was a bit pissed that this was failing. Thing is that it's the only common problem on a DRZ-E. The mechanical seal inside the waterpump has a tendency to fail from time to time. You can do two things, ignore it and everyday replace some coolant or take it out and put a new in it in the hope that the new one will work. Since we were going to Mogolia, we decided not to take the risk and to go to a Suzuki Dealer to have it fixed. Silly me didn't bring a spare one...

Bad news there... It was friday afternoon and the mechanic was just going home, on saturday they don't work, on sunday obviously also not, and that monday was a holiday... so we had to come back on tuesday morning. Big bummer!
So we enjoyed Kiev a few more days, stayed with a lovely CS host but we were happy when it was tuesday to fix the bike.

We arrived early and the guys there dropped everything to help us out. Problem was that they didn't have the spares I needed. So they tried everything, and I mean everything possible to help us out: tried with seals from other bikes, other brands, other vehicles etc, but there was always at least one that wouldn't fit. After the whole day of waiting and trying the verdict was: no can do. They could order the spares, but it would take 3 weeks. 3 weeks??? for 3 seals??? wtf? How was that possible? "customs" was the answer I got. So I phoned a friend of mine in Belgium and got him to phone all the dealers to see if any of them had the seals in stock. None of them had. pfffff.... we really started to feel trapped, not liking the idea of waiting for a few weeks in Kiev, so close to home and so far from Mongolia. This was not really the adventure we were looking for.
This is how a 12 year old DRZ looks inside

By that time another guy showed up, Kyrill. He was actually a customer there, but since he spoke almost perfect english we could at least communicate with the guys on a much faster paste. We stayed well after closing time in the Suzuki shop, the guys ordered pizza and called their wives that they would be later home as they had to take care of us first... My friend in Belgium said he found a dealer who could have the spares in 3 days and then he would send them over to Kiev with DHL which should also take like a day or two. So this was still better than the maybe 3 weeks from Suzuki Kiev. But then waiting another five days in Kiev was not something we really wanted to do, since we had already been there for 4 or 5 days, so the guys arranged for us to take the night train to Simferopol in the Crimea, 1000km from Kiev.

From left to right; Kyrill - Kim - me - Ivan - Taras (the mechanic):

Kyrill gave us a nighttour of Kiev and dropped us off at the train station in time for us to go south, we bought an UA prepaid phone card so the guys could call us when the bike was ready and the Suzuki salesman, Ivan, gave his Iphone to me to put the simcard in it. Please just think about this. He gave his Iphone to a stranger that was going to go 1000km further just so he could call/text with the stranger. This is something that shows how bikers can and are one big family!

When we arrived in Simferopol, there was a local biker waiting for us. Ivan had called up a bikerclub so they could help us out. That guy didn't speak anything but Ukrainian, but he managed to get us on the right bus to go further south to the seaside place of Alushta, a well known place apparently with the Ukrainians in the summer. Alushta is not far from Yalta, where the famous Yalta conference was held in 1945, so definitely a place that I wanted to check out.

Ivan had also told us that once we are getting of the bus, there would be baboushkas (grannies) in the are that are renting out a room in their flat for like 10 a day. So we finally found a place with a nice lady and stayed at her home for a couple of days.

Alushta beach, packed:

Kim buying fruit at ridiculous low prices:

Cheezy car-booth sale:

Unfortunately there is also a lot of poverty, Grannies selling cigarettes to try and earn some money:

Black Sea:

Yalta Castle:

On the fourth day we already got a phone call from Ivan, saying that the bikes were ready! We had been very lucky with the deliveries and Taras worked like hell to fix the bike immediately. So we took the train back to Kiev, picked up the bikes and off we went, direction East again towards the Russian border.
Old 11-08-2013, 10:39 AM   #41
Byron1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
Awesome ride report! Living vicariously through your tale is helping me make it through a miserable British winter... Keep them coming!
Byron1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 03:13 PM   #42
blaster11
Ecuador here we come

Oddometer: 6,525
In.....and enjoying the ride so far!
Old 11-09-2013, 01:11 AM   #43
PhiSig1071
What's ******width?

Oddometer: 2,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR1 View Post
Very interested in seeing more, but I recommend you pull the topless pic. :)
How 'bout a link?

Love the RR so far. I have a DRZE and I want to outfit it for trips like this.

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
PhiSig1071 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 04:33 AM   #44
00-SEB-00 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiSig1071 View Post
How 'bout a link?

Love the RR so far. I have a DRZE and I want to outfit it for trips like this.
LOL... It wasn't that great... although...

The DRZ-E is perfect if you can live with the max speed limit and the very very uncomfortable seat... I had the bike for 3 years, did 3 big trips with it (40-60.000km) and never ever regretted that bike. The only reason I sold it (you'll see later in the report) is that next RTW trip will be 2-up...

Sorry for the delay in RR but now we continue!
Old 11-18-2013, 05:34 AM   #45
WesleyDRZ400
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 290
About time SEB i wondered where you got to?

I am now at work so need somethink to read when i wake up in the middle of the cold North Sea with my mug of coffee before i start my shift........

Post often please...........

WesleyDRZ400 screwed with this post 11-18-2013 at 05:58 AM
WesleyDRZ400 is offline   Reply With Quote