Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2013, 07:32 PM   #76
just jeff
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 812
Loving the report! I don't think you are having any trouble keeping our attention!!
Regards....just jeff
just jeff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 02:46 AM   #77
00-SEB-00 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
The same evening when we arrived, Kim saw that she had a tick nestling itself in her body, so we had to do something about it. Not really knowing how to get rid of the little bugger, we asked Yana (the owner), who almost panicked about the sight of the tick. So there was still Andrei, a tourist from Biisk that was there for a few days with his wife. He knew how to deal with it, removed the tick and then started to give some advise...

So he had (of course) some vodka with him and urged Kim to put vodka on the 'wound' and then to drink some as a medicine.

Ok, now hang tight. Kim doesn't drink any alcohol whatsoever. Ever. Just like me. She had maybe a liter of water that day and three cookies. That's it. You see me coming with this one, don't you...?
So after some hesitation she drank the glass of vodka at once, there was like a few seconds of nothingness and then her eyes just flipped. Woops, she was gone!
I could held her up just in time before she would have crashed on the floor, completely waisted after a shot of vodka. I put her on a bench but this wan't helping, she was really, really completely wasted... Ok, I had a hard time not to laugh (and still now while typing this I have a huge smile on my face) and in the end put her into bed. Two hours later she came back, we had some food with the guys and all was over.

We left Yana's place two days later but now in a group of four, as Phil and Felix decided to join us to Mongolia.

The weather was still sh#t, rain, heavy clouds so not the most enjoyable time, but the "roads" would fill our minds every minute of the day. I say roads but it was one big huge mudpool and some of us really had a big time struggling to keep the bikes on the road as it was that slippery:

Still not convinced that the road was one huge mudpool? Ok look at this:

Sometimes it was just too much to handle:

I would like to comment with this pictures about some discussions that have been held in the past about high fenders or low fenders. Just look at the pictures. In this situation, high fenders all the way!!! Felix's BMW had low fenders on it and the mud just got stuck in it, resulting that the front wheel would just lock and the bike falling over.
Also, I finally understood why people are carrying spare tyres with them. They are used as crash protectors! I won't comment about the load up of bikes and the difference in beliefs about this, I'll just let this picture speak for itself:

Allright, enough mockery, so we continued our way and some parts were way better, finally:

Kim was even able to laugh again, after cursing the whole day:

At a certain point we arrived in a small village and went to a shop to shelter from the rain and get something to drink. The owner was a Georgian and he was so overwhelmed by the fact that there were EU tourists there we were not allowed to pay for the drinks...

At another break, Kim started to feed a local dog and when Phil was not looking for a split second, the dog just snatched his bag of chips and eat it all.

After the break we continued to enjoy the beautiful scenery of the Altay:

00-SEB-00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 11:50 AM   #78
calibro
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
unreal

Stunning pictures,great story I m in for this one.
calibro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 02:03 PM   #79
Twinmike
Grandpa

stunning

great pictures, awesome ride, i like it
Twinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 02:16 PM   #80
SS in Vzla.
Totally Normal? I'm not!

Oddometer: 1,179
WOW!
Very nice pictures... Let's see some more please
Old 12-12-2013, 04:45 PM   #81
Prutser
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 947
Great to see those places again.
I would sure like to go back to spend more time in the Altay.

Great pictures Seb.

R100GS'91 (sold)
Prutser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 12:27 PM   #82
00-SEB-00 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

We continued in the Altay, in the direction of Mongolia:

The views are stunning...

Time for a break and to enjoy the view... again...

By that time Phil and Felix decided to continue without us, as Phil's forks were leaking and he needed to get some spare parts send to him in one way or another. Kim and I decided to continue our original plan(s) and to maybe meet up with them later, or not. You never know what can happen while on the road, no? We said our goodbyes, the guys left and we thought we would never see them again...
Old 12-14-2013, 03:29 AM   #83
SunshineKim
La dolce far niente

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00-SEB-00 View Post
The same evening when we arrived, Kim saw that she had a tick nestling itself in her body, so we had to do something about it. Not really knowing how to get rid of the little bugger, we asked Yana (the owner), who almost panicked about the sight of the tick. So there was still Andrei, a tourist from Biisk that was there for a few days with his wife. He knew how to deal with it, removed the tick and then started to give some advise...

So he had (of course) some vodka with him and urged Kim to put vodka on the 'wound' and then to drink some as a medicine.

Ok, now hang tight. Kim doesn't drink any alcohol whatsoever. Ever. Just like me. She had maybe a liter of water that day and three cookies. That's it. You see me coming with this one, don't you...?
So after some hesitation she drank the glass of vodka at once, there was like a few seconds of nothingness and then her eyes just flipped. Woops, she was gone!
I could held her up just in time before she would have crashed on the floor, completely waisted after a shot of vodka. I put her on a bench but this wan't helping, she was really, really completely wasted... Ok, I had a hard time not to laugh (and still now while typing this I have a huge smile on my face) and in the end put her into bed. Two hours later she came back, we had some food with the guys and all was over.
In the meantime I was aware that everything was moving much slower than usual, but it felt as if my head was filled with cotton balls….
I tried to sleep, but all I could think was: 'why the hell doesn't this place stop spinning!!'
I was glad the alcohol left my body after a few hours and will never again take Russian 'medicine'!
SunshineKim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 03:49 AM   #84
achesley
Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,428
Loving the report and pics. Check every morning for updates. Just amazing this part of the world. Thanks so much for sharing with us that will never see it any other way.

A '00 KLR 650 39,000 miles, A '07 1250S 77,000 actual, A '03 5.3L Chevy Truck 76,000 + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
achesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 04:24 PM   #85
Ratman
Lucky Rider

Oddometer: 1,161
Tremendous RR

I just got caught up with the report. Great Narrative and beautiful pictures.

I'll be here till you are tired of writing.

From moto trailer
p.ratfab@gmail.com
Ratman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 06:24 AM   #86
00-SEB-00 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thank you all for the comments, so let's continue the trip!

So, we're getting closer and closer to the border between Russia and Mongolia, and later today we'll reach the border and finally enter the "mystical" Mongolia.

But first some more nice shots from the Altay... can't get enough from that place!

Mongolia is just behind the mountains...

But we'll first spend the last night in a Yurt in Russia. Actually it was an old Baboushka that tried to make a living by selling food and milk and stuff. So we asked if we could stay for food and sleep and she agreed. We only had to pay for the food though... ;-)

Next day we finally made it to the border!
The Russian border is quite chaotic as you need to go to Immigration that is a few hundred meters before the actual border and there's no sign, so everyone passes it and when it's finally your turn and you don't have the exit stamp, you need to go back all the way to get it...

This is actually the border of Mongolia, just a big red fence and that's it. The customsbuildings are a few kilometers further...

When you arrive at the customs and thus the actual border, you need to pay to get the bike decontaminated... yeah right. You pay and that's it.

The actual crossing is pretty straightforward. You just need to fill in a few documents and that's it.

We wanted to take the northern route, but because it had rained so much the last days, the rivers were way too high and we were not even allowed to take the northern route, we were turned around and had to take the southern one.

Damn... all the hotels that we booked are non-refundable! So what now? All our plans are worthless....! We're goin to die here... all those evil people...

Hahaha... no, nothing of this is true or even real! I just couldn't help myself since we met a few people who had every single day planned, booked and looked up for when traveling on a bike...

We arrived in Ulgii and decided to get some fuel and look for a place to sleep. We got invited (but had to pay) to some guy at his home. As we prefer paying some local and staying at his home rather than a hotel or so, we were more than happy to go for it. Most of the time we camp or try to stay at less convenient places, at peoples home and stuff. It's always great for new cultural insights and you never know what might happen... but you really need to go miles from your comfort zone for this. Anyway, we stayed here:

The oldest daughter took us to the communal shower, as they had no running water at their home and we needed some kind of corporal washing for ourselves.

We wanted to see and enjoy the Naadam Festival, but there was some sort of animal disease going round and so no Naadam for Western Mongolia at this time. this was a big bugger as I really wanted to experience this, especially the horse racing. I had this dream of riding on the bike between them when they're racing on all those horses... boys will be boys, no?!

And so we continued our journey eastwards...

The "highway" or southern route, with very detailed signs of where to go:

Soon came the first watercrossings:

Now and then we had to stop to get some more desinfected... I doubt it really helps but we had a nice chat with the guys maning these places and always offered them some cookies. We never had to pay for this service, some other travellers that we met were asked money...

Later that day we met Igor and Penny, two New Zealanders going from NZ to The Netherlands, 2-up on a Beemer. A few months later thay would come and stay for a night with us in Belgium...

We went for a day to the Naadam Festival in Khovd, but the horse racing was the day before, so the day after we left again.

Funny thing is that during our stay in Khovd we met up again with Phil and Felix who arrived there day after us and left the following morning again.

Kim having a go at some "junkfood", actually i was fresh orange juice and
shashlik:

We continued our journey through the sand and big emptyness...

Some camping in the middle of nowhere... as we prefer it!

Old 12-16-2013, 09:36 AM   #87
AteamNM
Wonna Be ADVrider

Oddometer: 3,610
Oh this next part is gonna be good. Mongolia
AteamNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 09:57 AM   #88
Hotmamaandme
Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer: 2,701

Jimmy Lewis quote: "Those KLRs are full of potential. Just takes a rider..."