Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Latin America
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2013, 07:12 AM   #1
s rider OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
South America Tour, buy the bike ? how ?

Hi there !

As a new comer I am impress about the quality and volume of information that are here shared, all with a common goal: help the other riders

This is why I write here, looking for some help :)

Target: a tour of South America on bike

Me and my girlfriend will land in 2 weeks in Buenos Aires and we want to buy a bike and start exploring. The plane tickets are already bought :)

I have decided not to ship my bike because from this part of Europe is very expensive.

I am asking for your help as regards the best advice regarding buying a bike from south america. I have red a lot of reviews but from this and other forums but still I don t know how is the best for me:

1. to buy the bike registered in south american (argentina, brazil, paraguay)
1.a. the bike owner is a argentinian, brazilia, paraguean
1.b. the bike owner is a traveller (European like me, American or Australian)

2. to buy the bike registered outside of south america (Europe, America, Australia, etc)

What do you think ? which one is trouble free at the custom, less money payed to police / border.
What papers are necessary to carry with me in order to be ok ?

A lot of people are traveling in South America and, the ones who want to buy a bike from there, have the same questions as me :)

Thank you for your attention & feedback :)

All I know is that I want to start exploring this beautiful part of our world !
s rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 06:34 PM   #2
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,314
I'll bet there's no shortage of riders wanting to sell after getting to 'the end'.

Colleen and James will consider this after we get there.

For California it would be a simple matter to transfer title to a new owner, I can do that in the amount of time it takes an envelope to go from there and back, plus the three weeks Sacramento takes...so about one month I guess.

Then you would have to figure out the Temp vehicle import release and such.

There is supposed to be a 'free zone' up that way, worth looking in to.

What we need is a savvy Spanish/English speaking dealer/title expert in Argentina.

When we get down there I'll research it. This is my 'forte' in California USA, but I have no SA contacts...yet. I'll scope out the free zone and the methods.

meanwhile there's an ex-pat in Peru doing something like this...I'll go find him...wait a minute.
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 06:37 PM   #3
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,314
charapa on ADVrider. his name is Toby.

www.aroundtheblockmotoadventures.com

I have no affiliation or other information.

All I know are his claims that he's doing this.
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 07:30 PM   #4
markharf
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 536
Javier and Sandra have made it really (REALLY) clear that they don't want their names associated in any way with illegal stuff like transferring ownership of bikes.

Seriously.

Mark
markharf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:42 PM   #5
markharf
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 536
Vince, I'm repeating what Javier has said repeatedly in response to people posting stuff like what you posted. It's not me: it's them, and they've been very clear. They don't want to be associated in any way with any sales involving any foreigners.

Take that for what it's worth.

Mark
markharf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:43 PM   #6
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 4,956
Quote:
Originally Posted by markharf View Post
Vince, I'm repeating what Javier has said repeatedly in response to people posting stuff like what you posted. It's not me: it's them, and they've been very clear. They don't want to be associated in any way with any sales involving any foreigners.

Take that for what it's worth.

Mark
OK, understood. Just nuked the other posts.

crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 12:25 PM   #7
s rider OP
Adventurer

:) all I want is to ride so this is why I am gathering information from anybody who can share his experience about buying a bike in South America :)

Any opinions are welcomed :)

When I will land in Argentina I will share my experience in order that other to know also

So, anybody with an idea of how is better to buy a local registered bike or one from a traveler ?
Old 11-08-2013, 07:51 AM   #8
yokesman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 421
check out this thread,there seems to be varied rules according to the country you are in,even as far as wether you can leave with the bike.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=896123
yokesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 10:02 AM   #9
Dr. Benny
Enjoying the Journey

Oddometer: 816
Mike at Motolombia makes it easy (and legal) to buy a Colombian registered bike (even if you're a foreigner) and ride it around South America (legally). Check in with him: http://motolombia.com/sale.html
Old 12-04-2013, 03:43 PM   #10
hickery
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Buying a Bike In SA

We are 2 Canadians flying into Santiago Chile on Dec 9th....we will likely be bhttp://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/south-america/buying-bike-santiago-chile-non-63372uying 2 Euromot GXT 200cc......all our research has led us to believe that these are the most reliable Chinese Bikes with a couple modifications...chain for a Japanese one, 44 tooth rear sprocket and Jap spokes if you can afford it.
Cost in US dollars under 1900.00 at the current exchange rate.
You can buy in Argentina but as a foreigner will not be allowed to take it out of the country....in Chile you can purchase and do so.....go to for the infohttp://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/south-america/buying-bike-santiago-chile-non-63372

Follow my blog by Googling.........hickeryonthemove......
I will let you know how it turns out
All the Best
Hic
hickery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 07:12 PM   #11
s rider OP
Adventurer

Now I am for 4 months in south america and here is how I did it:
I have bought a British registered bike.
For the aduana (border ) I show the original papers of the bike and power of attorney (carta de poder). Until now, I have cross many times the aduana between Chile and Argentina and had no problem.
For the police, because I don’t know Spanish and I do not want to confuse them and I will show them the original papers but with my name at the owner. Until know, in 4 months, police didn’t stop me J
As a conclusion I have the following papers:
1. Original papers of the bike with the former owner on them
2. Power of attorney (carta de poder) – paper that gives me the right to use the bike
3. Sales contract – because I bought the bike
4. Original papers modified with my name
Papers 1,2 & 3 are made at notary and they are official.
For the aduana I show papers 1& 2
For the police (it wasn’t the case and only not to lose time explaining about carta de poder) I show paper 4.

Additional information: it seems that is easier to by a bike from a traveler than a South America registered one. I didn’t have any problem until now. What I have heard but is not verified by me is:
- If you buy a Argentinean registered bike you cannot go outside of Argentina 1 year
- If you buy a Peru registered bike you cannot enter to Bolivia because they are having some political conflicts or something like that.
What I know for sure is that buying a bike registered outside of South America (I am a Romanian riding a British bike) you will not have any problem.

Hope that the information is useful and I go to enjoy the landscape J
Old 03-14-2014, 05:33 AM   #12
charapa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by TUCKERS View Post
charapa on ADVrider. his name is Toby.

www.aroundtheblockmotoadventures.com

I have no affiliation or other information.

All I know are his claims that he's doing this.
charapa here

Nothing illegal... I just know the ins and outs of buying/registering a bike here in Peru. And being fluent in Spanish and knowing people helps alot!

Toby

"Those friends thou hast... and their adoption tried... grapple them to thy soul with hoops of steel. But do not dull thy palm with entertainment of each new-hatch'd, unfledg'd comrade...." Polonius in Hamlet
charapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 04:29 AM   #13
Solohobo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
There are lot of issues with buying a bike, as it needs to be titled and registered in your name, in order for you to cross borders, it needs to be in your name, like the Passport. You cant just buy a bike and head off to another country, with legal paperwork saying you are the owner, Latin America is not EU/North America. You also then run into the same issues selling the bike, and getting the paperwork/legalities done for the next owner....

Things can be very backwards in Latin America, and take weeks, not days, to iron out...dont get scammed by someone saying your purchase is legal...when its not. Waiting just two weeks before a trip to know the ropes and issues is not very swift IMO...good luck.

Read the Forum, Driving the Americas.
Adventure Travel to Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Burma, Thailand, Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, China, Honk Kong, Macau, France, Italy, EU, Morocco, Turkey, USA National Parks, camping, fishing, hiking, surfing, scuba diving, trekking, river rafting, new cultures, new cuisine, new languages.

Solohobo screwed with this post 03-20-2014 at 04:44 AM
Solohobo is offline   Reply With Quote