Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2013, 02:10 PM   #106
ValpoFz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyb57 View Post
This is probably my first post in forever, and I have to admit I'm a harley guy, I love Harley Davidson motor cycles,But I have another problem I love moto guzi motorcycles ,and triumphs and ducatis and kawasakis and hondas and suzuki and I can't spell worth a crap. But if you see me at a gas station on my harley and I walk over to you on your bike its to tell you I like your bike, or ask if you know any good back roads. I have always found everyone to be pretty friendly and that a smile and a handshake goes a long way.
Bingo, I don't own a Harley but I have met some awfully nice folks on them. The guys that I ride with that have Harleys also have about every other make you can think of.
ValpoFz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 01:07 PM   #107
IrishJohn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
I got a Suzuki TU 250 when I finally was able to get back into the sport after a break of decades. I was not looking forward to all the 'hate' I expected to get from HD riders though - I mean it is 'obvious' from researching getting a bike for the first time (at least here in the USA, my previous experience was in Europe many years ago) in this and other forums on the net that you have to align yourself with one of only three camps...

1) The genuine 'Outlaw' clubs - pretty much though what I gathered was that as long as I did not mess with them they would ignore me so that would be OK.

2) the HD 'pirates' - well, I really could not see spending all that money on a motorbike and really don't ride to be one of the 'in crowd' anyway. However, would have to be - based on my research - 'careful' around them when rolling up somewhere on my 'metric'

3) The rest of the world on two wheels - an eclectic bunch that could be sub catogrized into : a) All HD Riders are trying to compensate for a small willy, and b) Who really cares what they ride as long as they don't badmouth my ride. c) I really don't care about what you ride, I'm having fun : )

Anyhow - I bought my wee TU and have had a blast : ) Second day out I pulled in at a local lake and there were a bunch of HD's parked and within seconds one of the biggest and most leather-clad came over and started asking me all about MY bike. Then a while later I was at a vintage bike night when the 'Outlaws' roared in. There was one HD really well customised - a work of art - and I asked the owner if I could take photos of it and he responded with a big smile, said go ahead and then asked me if I would like MY photo taken sitting on his bike. About the only negative experience I have actually had is a rider on a Honda who was interested in my bike but also commenting 'It's a nice little bike, kind of fun looking and probably a good choice for someone your age' (I'm 53 and in pretty good shape LOL)'

It would never cross my mind to denigrate someone elses bike unless it was in joking and I know them very well - and I think anyone who does with a complete stranger is really rolling the dice on someday encountering a psycho who will hurt them badly...

Bottom line - I would never get on one of those Road Kings because I don't like the thought of all that size/weight/expense and I would never get on a bike that I could not plant both feet on the ground on, nor would I get on a bike without wearing a crash helmet or without at least a
proper jacket, I tried raised handlebars and hated the whole experience so have flat bars, first thing I bought for my bike was a windscreen as I like my comfort and cannot understand how anyone can ride at speed without one and so on and so on...but I absolutely love riding what I do ride and I get a kick out of seeing people on their ride with the same smile when you are really 'in the moment'.

That to me is what is important. The rest is all squabbling over things that at their heart seems to me to have little to do what the ostensible heading might be...and sometimes I wonder how many people who were like me never did get back in the game because when you do the research it seems like a rather nasty environment out there among the folk....
Old 11-20-2013, 01:19 PM   #108
Red9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishJohn View Post
I got a Suzuki TU 250 when I finally was able to get back into the sport after a break of decades. I was not looking forward to all the 'hate' I expected to get from HD riders though - I mean it is 'obvious' from researching getting a bike for the first time (at least here in the USA, my previous experience was in Europe many years ago) in this and other forums on the net that you have to align yourself with one of only three camps...

1) The genuine 'Outlaw' clubs - pretty much though what I gathered was that as long as I did not mess with them they would ignore me so that would be OK.

2) the HD 'pirates' - well, I really could not see spending all that money on a motorbike and really don't ride to be one of the 'in crowd' anyway. However, would have to be - based on my research - 'careful' around them when rolling up somewhere on my 'metric'

3) The rest of the world on two wheels - an eclectic bunch that could be sub catogrized into : a) All HD Riders are trying to compensate for a small willy, and b) Who really cares what they ride as long as they don't badmouth my ride. c) I really don't care about what you ride, I'm having fun : )

Anyhow - I bought my wee TU and have had a blast : ) Second day out I pulled in at a local lake and there were a bunch of HD's parked and within seconds one of the biggest and most leather-clad came over and started asking me all about MY bike. Then a while later I was at a vintage bike night when the 'Outlaws' roared in. There was one HD really well customised - a work of art - and I asked the owner if I could take photos of it and he responded with a big smile, said go ahead and then asked me if I would like MY photo taken sitting on his bike. About the only negative experience I have actually had is a rider on a Honda who was interested in my bike but also commenting 'It's a nice little bike, kind of fun looking and probably a good choice for someone your age' (I'm 53 and in pretty good shape LOL)'

It would never cross my mind to denigrate someone elses bike unless it was in joking and I know them very well - and I think anyone who does with a complete stranger is really rolling the dice on someday encountering a psycho who will hurt them badly...

Bottom line - I would never get on one of those Road Kings because I don't like the thought of all that size/weight/expense and I would never get on a bike that I could not plant both feet on the ground on, nor would I get on a bike without wearing a crash helmet or without at least a
proper jacket, I tried raised handlebars and hated the whole experience so have flat bars, first thing I bought for my bike was a windscreen as I like my comfort and cannot understand how anyone can ride at speed without one and so on and so on...but I absolutely love riding what I do ride and I get a kick out of seeing people on their ride with the same smile when you are really 'in the moment'.

That to me is what is important. The rest is all squabbling over things that at their heart seems to me to have little to do what the ostensible heading might be...and sometimes I wonder how many people who were like me never did get back in the game because when you do the research it seems like a rather nasty environment out there among the folk....
So you wind up joining the nastiest, least mature bike forum on web!
Red9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 01:23 PM   #109
Sun Ray
Polyglottic Moran

Oddometer: 948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red9 View Post
Is that what ADV is? I got to keep that in mind next time I comment… Oh shit! Too late.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=936940
Sun Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 01:32 PM   #110
IrishJohn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Quote:
There are a LOT of 'good people' on here and I learned, and continue to do so, a lot of good things.

As for the misbegotten offspring of gargoyles crossed with mange-ridden Baboons...well, lets just say its amusing to observe people who climb up to the top of mountains at night and gaze at the heavens when they feel homesick.
Old 11-21-2013, 07:54 AM   #111
atomicalex
silly aluminum boxes

Oddometer: 2,030
We'll see when spring rolls around for me...

At work here in Germany, there is one of everything in the bike parking areas, from the dude with every Simpson ever built to fully dressed Harleys to enduros and dirt bikes of every type. Hardcore sportbikes are somewhat rarer. There's a really sweet Buell in the Gate 1 area, and an R75/5 that makes me wiggle in the Gate 8 area. The big GSs are usually up at Gate 5. Scoots everywhere. No one looks at you funny or even really notices, unless you start showing up on something new, then you might get a "how's that ride?" or such. In the office, all riders chat together, there is a little bit of inter-make rivalry, but it is more fun and goofing off than serious. Mostly the Beemers versus the Harleys, and the focus is always on how stupid the BMW guys are for riding year-round and who has the ugliest gear. LOL, I resemble that. But most all ride a lot and go on nice trips, so we show/share a lot of pics and stories. There is definitely a little line drawn around the riding crowd, we are the crazy risk takers who are unashamed of it, too. The whole of Germany is so biker-friendly that it will be a hard shock to leave. We are the cowboys, in a way.

At work in the US, it's only the Harleys that ride in, so my baby GS will be the outlier. At least one of those riders already has told me to "get a real bike" when I mentioned that I'd started riding and showed a pic of it. I was pretty disappointed, as I'd not expected that. Hopefully things improve by the time I arrive. Can't wait, actually.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:04 AM   #112
woodnbow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
Hey , Doc , that's ANALOGY.
Hmmm... awful quick JoeXR to spot the ANAL in Doc's post...

woodnbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 10:22 AM   #113
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,497
Quote:
No Spam... And it is like sitting in an Irish Pub bantering with fellow riders. How does that equate to "nastiest, least mature..." ?????????

I joined another forum and you can't even post without some sniveler whining to a moderator. The spineless pukes have learned not to post up here.
Old 11-21-2013, 11:16 AM   #114
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,206
I ride a TU250 now also, for the last 2 years.
I have had comments both ways, and in general a lot of interest in the bike.
I have a well rehersed speech about the good points of the bike.

I have had various bikes in the past 40 years, big Harleys, small Harleys, lots of dual sports, lots of Triumphs, old and new.
I put a lot of miles on bikes, do all my own work on bikes and always have, have done long trips on bikes I rebuilt, done a bit of formal racing, and much informal racing, been locked up, lost my licence many times, been in clubs, did not always have a car.

So I do not give two cents about what anyone thinks or says about what I ride.
I tend to think many people spend way too much money on a bike for the fun or use they get out of it, and maybe that makes them insecure.

I think many bikes are ugly and almost useless, but I would not say anything to anyone about it, if they are happy, its good with me, if they are on some hack job, $50,000.00 bling bike, or a scooter.

One of the coolest guys I ever met was riding a $250.00 Yamaha sx650 made from parts from about 10 different brands and models, a real junk yard special.

I never met anyone who really rides who said anything bad about my bikes.
The guys who have been riding a long time, with a lot of miles under their belt NEVER have anything bad to say about anything with 2 wheels.

They know about long cold wet rides, breakdowns and flats, crashes and pain, the joy of a great ride, the pride in riding something you built or rebuilt, or just managed to keep running.
They grew up on little 2 stoke Japanese bikes and worked up to whatever they ride now, and have no reason to dog a brand or bike.

I respect those guys.
Why would I care about the others?
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 11:40 AM   #115
DADODIRT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,298
I've yet to have anything like that happen.
I could imagine it in Robesonia, though.
It's probably a good thing I left there a long time ago.
Good on ya for not taking it to the next level, John.
Old 11-21-2013, 02:23 PM   #116
scootrboi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,272
I was riding back from Lake Champlain, 60 miles from home, after painting a mural on a truck, and noticed a lot of HDs parked at a motel. I slowed down and was headed over to walk around and have a look. There was quite a crowd in black leather milling around. I was on my antique scooter, and as I approached, one guy came out and hollered,"Boy did you pick the wrong place to stop." Then he said it again. I left. But when you think about it that was one big mouth in a crowd of about 75. I guess I was tired, it had been a long day.
Old 11-30-2013, 07:10 AM   #117
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 7,628
Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post
I've experienced it now and then over the years, mostly the "real bike" crowd but , a few others too.

Some folks think ignorance and arrogance is a badge of honor.

Years ago I almost got my ass kicked because of the "real bike" crowd when I owned a Harley FLT.
I was following a group of wannabees to get on a Washington state ferry, bikes go to the front of the line and load first. There was already another group on a mix of UJM's waiting for the ferry to arrive. We pulled up to park, as soon as the pirate group finished with their blipping and got off their bikes, they started in harassing, the other group by making the usual wise cracks.

Tempers were starting to flair, but the ferry arrived and the loading process took over everyone's attention. Once parked, the UJM group headed inside the passenger area and the pirates stayed outside to pose for the tourists.
I found their adolescent behavior embarrassing and headed inside to get a coffee.

Several of the UJM group were in line at the cafe and when I walked up they started shooting me some dirty looks, but I just ignored them looking out the windows. Finally one turned and said "awfully quiet when you don't have your buddies to back you up".
I explained I wasn't with them and found their comments offensive too, but the damage was done and they considered me guilty by association. They made their comments, and I just let it slide, only replying most people who ride Harleys are not like that group.

Reason finally won over and nothing happened. Sure glad it was daytime and no alcohol was involved, otherwise it may have turned ugly.
I would have said something before they did. I would have commented about the bunch of assholes acting like that making me embarrassed to be riding the same kind of bike. Put yourself in the good guy status before the crap happens. Same thing can happen with sportbikes too. You ride one you must be a stunter.

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 06:34 PM   #118
r60man OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by DADODIRT View Post
I've yet to have anything like that happen.
I could imagine it in Robesonia, though.
It's probably a good thing I left there a long time ago.
Good on ya for not taking it to the next level, John.
Josh, it didn't happen in Roby, but in nearby Reinholds.

Speed doesn't kill anyone, suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you - Jeremy Clarkson
r60man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 04:22 PM   #119
DADODIRT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by r60man View Post
Josh, it didn't happen in Roby, but in nearby Reinholds.

I hope it doesn't happen to you again. Did you happen to get a licensce plate number? Might be a good one to remember.
I could tell you a funny story about a punk kid in a VW getting run off the road by some local red necks in a pickup truck above the Wernesville SH, but that might be off topic.
Old 12-04-2013, 01:10 PM   #120
Griffin44
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by markk53 View Post
I would have said something before they did. I would have commented about the bunch of assholes acting like that making me embarrassed to be riding the same kind of bike. Put yourself in the good guy status before the crap happens. Same thing can happen with sportbikes too. You ride one you must be a stunter.
That's good advice and I hadn't thought of it before. Thanks. (no sarcasm inherent or implied).