Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2013, 02:07 PM   #16
Reaver
Trade Parts for Beer

Oddometer: 2,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67siia View Post
They determined it is a bad antenna and need to order it.
I'm not buying it. Doubt it's the antenna and what kind of Dealer doesn't have one of those in stock ayway?

Just another opinion. Move along..............
Old 11-06-2013, 02:07 PM   #17
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,409
Do mean the immobilizer? Have not heard of that happening in years. It does not explain low voltage when trying to crank it.

Speaking of those, do you carry both keyes on your key ring by any chance? That will confuse your ECU.
Old 11-06-2013, 02:07 PM   #18
Warin
Retired

Oddometer: 1,560
You do NEED to tell the COMPLETE story to the dealer/mechanic... to do otherwise means they spend more time finding the real problem = more time in the shop = less time you have your bike. The dealer might waste time getting a new EWS in (say a week) to find out that the battery is low... then recharges it and runs the bike to check the charging system, finds that is ok, leaves the bike sit over night to find flat battery .. charges battery then checks for parasitic discharge, that is ok, and finally orders a new battery. Say 3 weeks total. You could shorten that by a week by telling the full story.

NEXT TIME
When the bike goes click click click when trying to start .. it means the battery is flat or you have a bad connection some where. Don't persist in trying to start it .. recharge the battery or find the faulty connection.

Finding out why the battery went flat is the next problem, not the first.
Warin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 02:14 PM   #19
Reaver
Trade Parts for Beer

And remember what ol' wise Joel said.....make sure there's no paint on the ground boss on the engine. Need a good clean ground connection to make everybody happy.
Old 11-06-2013, 02:17 PM   #20
67siia OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post
Do mean the immobilizer? Have not heard of that happening in years. It does not explain low voltage when trying to crank it.

Speaking of those, do you carry both keyes on your key ring by any chance? That will confuse your ECU.
I carry just the key with a plastic ring just because what I have read on the board about "confusing" the electronics
1979 Yamaha DT175
2007 Yamaha TTR125L
67siia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 02:20 PM   #21
67siia OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Full story told. I tried jumping the bike without a positive result. Testing of the battery read 12v just before I put it on the trailer this AM. But, I see your point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warin View Post
You do NEED to tell the COMPLETE story to the dealer/mechanic... to do otherwise means they spend more time finding the real problem = more time in the shop = less time you have your bike. The dealer might waste time getting a new EWS in (say a week) to find out that the battery is low... then recharges it and runs the bike to check the charging system, finds that is ok, leaves the bike sit over night to find flat battery .. charges battery then checks for parasitic discharge, that is ok, and finally orders a new battery. Say 3 weeks total. You could shorten that by a week by telling the full story.

NEXT TIME
When the bike goes click click click when trying to start .. it means the battery is flat or you have a bad connection some where. Don't persist in trying to start it .. recharge the battery or find the faulty connection.

Finding out why the battery went flat is the next problem, not the first.
1979 Yamaha DT175
2007 Yamaha TTR125L
Old 11-06-2013, 02:29 PM   #22
Reaver
Trade Parts for Beer

Quote:
Haven't heard that but anythings possible. I know we carry each others key on our keychains (F8/F658) for a few reasons and it hasn't caused an issue.....yet.
Old 11-06-2013, 03:11 PM   #23
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,457
On a side note - you can push start the bike.
I had to do it on several occasions when my stator cacked it a few days from home. It's a bastard and you'll drag the back wheel unless you really bounce the suspension. The fuel pump will still prime long after you drop below the voltage the bike will crank at, you just need to cycle the key a few times slowly to build initial pressure.
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 03:56 PM   #24
The Island
Im lost.

Oddometer: 216
Quote:
This happened to me. As soon as I'd put the key in, I'd get that message show up but nothing would happen. I too kept the keys together and in the book, it says this can be an issue...
The Island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 04:49 PM   #25
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67siia View Post
Full story told. I tried jumping the bike without a positive result. Testing of the battery read 12v just before I put it on the trailer this AM. But, I see your point.

Got to love these internet questions. What exactly does tried to jump the bike without a positive result mean?

Did you manage to spin the engine and it would not start or did it just go click?

Either way it sort of rules out a battery problem.
Old 11-06-2013, 06:43 PM   #26
67siia OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Got to love these internet questions. What exactly does tried to jump the bike without a positive result mean?

Did you manage to spin the engine and it would not start or did it just go click?

Either way it sort of rules out a battery problem.
Haha, I should have defined "jump the bike".... Only got a click click.
1979 Yamaha DT175
2007 Yamaha TTR125L
Old 11-07-2013, 04:01 AM   #27
Reaver
Trade Parts for Beer

For future reference, if the EWS system engages it disables the ignition, fuel pump and STARTER. The fact that you got a "click" means that it passed the security check and tried it's best to start. If anybody's bored, you can pop the RFID capsule out of your plastic key and see what happens.

It's another way of diagnosing. Kinda like having zero fuel pressure and while replacing the pump you notice the tank is empty. If the battery is dead, all the computers get cranky.
Old 11-07-2013, 09:53 AM   #28
Full Power
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,398
Just for reference, with a full charge on a healthy battery, the F800 will PUSH start very easily, and at absurdly low ground speed.
You will need 3rd gear on hard pack dirt road.
2nd gear will work just fine on pavement.
A brisk walking pace will suffice.
Old 11-09-2013, 08:16 AM   #29
67siia OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Yesterday I got a call from the dealer..... "Battery has died". So they tell me the antenna is not the issue but the battery... Some of you were dead on the problem... Furthermore, the dealer is "waiting on a battery shipment" ... Can't believe they do not have batteries in stock. Scheduled pick up for Tuesday.....
1979 Yamaha DT175
2007 Yamaha TTR125L
Old 11-09-2013, 08:35 AM   #30
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

There goes my credibility. I still don't understand why it could not be jump started from another vehicle. Mine would.

Dealers vary. Mine didn't have the stock battery either, so they gave me a better one.

itsatdm screwed with this post 11-09-2013 at 09:21 AM
itsatdm is online now   Reply With Quote