Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2013, 01:17 PM   #16
Doctor
Banned

Oddometer: 7,659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stricko View Post
I being the inmate that lupine mentioned about the DRZ being munched was lucky enough that there are a heap of drz's around and yes parting out the remainder will definitely help with the wallet damage !! I sadly had the top end redone only under 1000km before my implosion and the cost for was $1700 so $5000 sounds harsh ?
yep 1700 for a "top end"

now split the cases and throw all new bearing and gaskets at it
maybe a crank if that's fecked

then get back to me with how harsh 5g is
Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 01:45 PM   #17
panhead_pete
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 856
Could I see it running to a LOT of money? - yes if it needs a crank etc will be genuine parts = big $.

BTW for $5K you can buy and land a nice new 350 Chev crate motor - a useless fact but it always blows me away how much bike motors cost to build :)

Would I spend the $ repairing your current motor?. No. As suggested before your options are pretty easy to see from my eyes:

a) Buy a stat write off and replace motor etc, sell off excess parts or keep them aside for the next accident/component failure. You may even break even.
b) Buy a second hand motor and fit. Make coffee table with current motor
c) Buy another bike and transfer across all the farkles, sell off current bike as a roller.

I'd be doing option B if you can find someone reputable to sell you a motor. Cheapest initial outlay and second easiest option when it comes to fitting etc.
Old 11-06-2013, 02:01 PM   #18
hahnelw
Just Mapping Another Ride

Oddometer: 591
Agree with panhead on this one. 5k for a repair vs the cost of the secondhand motor or bike is probably a no brainer, just check that the motor you are buying is in good shape.

Cheers WH

Quote:
Originally Posted by panhead_pete View Post
Could I see it running to a LOT of money? - yes if it needs a crank etc will be genuine parts = big $.

BTW for $5K you can buy and land a nice new 350 Chev crate motor - a useless fact but it always blows me away how much bike motors cost to build :)

Would I spend the $ repairing your current motor?. No. As suggested before your options are pretty easy to see from my eyes:

a) Buy a stat write off and replace motor etc, sell off excess parts or keep them aside for the next accident/component failure. You may even break even.
b) Buy a second hand motor and fit. Make coffee table with current motor
c) Buy another bike and transfer across all the farkles, sell off current bike as a roller.

I'd be doing option B if you can find someone reputable to sell you a motor. Cheapest initial outlay and second easiest option when it comes to fitting etc.
Mile marker 203 The gas gauge leanin on the edge of E and I'll be damned if the rain ain't pourin down Theres somethin smokin underneath the hood Its a bangin and a clangin and it cant be good And its another 50 miles to the nearest town
hahnelw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 02:15 PM   #19
Warin
Retired

Oddometer: 1,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grofaz View Post
My only concern was that the repair cost seems excessive.
Factor in labour and no not excessive.

-----------------
The cheapest option will be a secondhand motor .. if they are not around then a secondhand bike and swap the motor out. Then sell the parts you don't want. To keep the costs down you'd need to do the work yourself, if your not prepared to do than then your stuck with the repair cost of your motor. $5k. Suck it up if your not inclined to do the work?
Warin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 02:21 PM   #20
supamanaint
when in doubt - power out

Oddometer: 177
Quote:
Can't find any stat writeoffs nearby (one in Sydney, freight cost would kill that idea I imagine), so looking at cheap second handers. Saw one nearby with 44k kms on it that might work.

Guess I'll talk to the mechanic today about options. Thanks for all the input so far :)

Maybe try and find someone heading up your way, someone may know someone heading that way or be able to relay it up to or near you.

If I get my ute going I may be able to get it as far as Toowoomba/ Brisbane for you then someone may be able to get it closer etc.
supamanaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 02:56 PM   #21
shipwrek12001
Shipwrek

Oddometer: 2,028
after the motor goes pop from a lack of oil. Depending how bad the oil loss was,,Every bearing in the motor/tranny posibily needs to be replaced. possibly the shafts that hold the gears..The labour alone would kill you after pressing out and in all the bearings in the cases, Pressing the connecting rod and bearings or replacing the crank complete,,,let alone replacing all the bearings, piston , top end, cams, rollars, clutch and clutch bearings..

did I miss anything? The metal fillings will go everywhere in the motor.. No escaping it....

yes you might get away with missing some bearings but from a dealers opinion it could be complete rebuild. its a huge job. In good faith the dealer cannot cut corners, it may come back on them... having said that the tech may cut corners for whatever reasons, too busy, bad attitude, it didn't look too bad.. you'll never know.

sad, but get another bike////
Old 11-06-2013, 04:20 PM   #22
Stricko
DRZ'er

Oddometer: 241
Quote:
Can't find any stat writeoffs nearby (one in Sydney, freight cost would kill that idea I imagine), so looking at cheap second handers. Saw one nearby with 44k kms on it that might work.

Guess I'll talk to the mechanic today about options. Thanks for all the input so far :)

The guy I bought the write off bike from got it transported from Vic to Bris for about $350 ... FYI
Stricko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 06:10 PM   #23
Gimme 2
Team slo ass

Oddometer: 1,888
Quote:
Being quoted almost 5k to fix my 09 KLR after she somehow dropped all her oil and went bang.

Does this sound reasonable or am I being stitched up?
Throw a piston in it and Flog the F@#k out of it. thats 300.

A possible 300, to a lets buy a new bike.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:38 PM   #24
Doctor
Banned

all this buy second hand and save fuck off

spend the cash and get it rebuilt by some one reputable, last forever if ya look after the little things like oil and filter, an just maybe clean the air filter now and then

buy second and put up this question again real soon

spend the money

or buy a 'new' bike
Old 11-06-2013, 09:22 PM   #25
prestonpaul
What?

Oddometer: 1,424
I'd be interested to know how much a brand new engine direct from Kawasaki is, if it's not much more that might be another option as you should get a warranty on the entire engine as a "spare part"
Old 11-06-2013, 10:28 PM   #26
Doctor
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by prestonpaul View Post
I'd be interested to know how much a brand new engine direct from Kawasaki is, if it's not much more that might be another option as you should get a warranty on the entire engine as a "spare part"
top idea
Old 11-07-2013, 07:58 PM   #27
Stricko
DRZ'er

Oddometer: 241
New ?

Just saw the latest sale catalgoue from Team Moto in Qld KLR $7990 ? saving $1297 FYI
Stricko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 09:53 PM   #28
thecanoeguy
just a yobbo from oz

Oddometer: 1,837
keep an eye on the manheims site , they are always coming up , i got a 2010 stat write off klr with 5000 km on it for a tad over $1000 it had a few broken plastics and a slightly bent rad and is completely ridable , i am going to put all the bits in a frame i got off ebay for $60 when i get around to it
thecanoeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 10:28 PM   #29
Happy Snapper
GOMOB.

Oddometer: 2,037
12 months ago I sold my 09 KLR to an inmate for under $5k. Only 18000 k and a bucket load of extras including modded suspension.

In your case.... find a low mileage bike and change your farkles!

Never trust atoms.... they make up everything!

Read my Blog: http://snapshotsfrommark.blogspot.com.au
Happy Snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 10:33 PM   #30
Tenerrod
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 727
My mates KLR here in Perth got assessed at Kim Brittons Kwakasaki and l guess it's off to Manheims now.
Keep an eye out for a blue one, one careful lady rider...