ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2013, 11:03 PM   #16
tweeder
Farkle Queen

Oddometer: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shastarider View Post
Bring him to Alices Saturday morning!
Down with that...
Old 11-12-2013, 01:48 PM   #17
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,673
The weather at the coast can be great in Nov/Dec,many tourists have realized this and come then as well as summer.
Usually less fog,can be cool but just gotta dress for it.
Old 11-12-2013, 01:52 PM   #18
steveWFL
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,343
Mark Twain said something about his coldest winter was summer in San Fran?
'99 ZX9R - because I like the other one so much
'08 ZZR600 minty
steveWFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 10:51 AM   #19
Pappy541 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 784
I will be there

Thanks to all!
I have decided that I am spending Thanksgiving in California.
Will arrive early afternoon on Friday 11-22-13. I will pick my bike up at Dubbelju about 5:00pm. Then I plan to ride Sat through the next Friday afternoon turning the bike in late that Friday. Fly back on sat 10-30-13. I will have my wife with me riding 2-up and who knows what I will do and where I will ride. Hwy 1 at Alice's in on Sat for sure and then I have no idea. I plan on Hwy 1, and 101 Napa valley and maybe even a quick side trip to see Lake Tahoe.

YEEEEEEEEEEEEE HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
here I come.
Thanks again,
Pappy
Pappy541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 11:12 AM   #20
Pappy541 OP
Studly Adventurer

If I ride down Hwy 1 From SF to LA what would be a good route to take coming back. What are some things that are a must.
Old 11-13-2013, 03:57 PM   #21
tweeder
Farkle Queen

Oddometer: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy541 View Post
Thanks to all!
I have decided that I am spending Thanksgiving in California.
Will arrive early afternoon on Friday 11-22-13. I will pick my bike up at Dubbelju about 5:00pm. Then I plan to ride Sat through the next Friday afternoon turning the bike in late that Friday. Fly back on sat 10-30-13. I will have my wife with me riding 2-up and who knows what I will do and where I will ride. Hwy 1 at Alice's in on Sat for sure and then I have no idea. I plan on Hwy 1, and 101 Napa valley and maybe even a quick side trip to see Lake Tahoe.

YEEEEEEEEEEEEE HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
here I come.
Thanks again,
Pappy
Sorry I won't be able to meet you-I won't be coming down until most likely the day before Thanksgiving, after your visit to Alice's...

If you are near Alice's make sure you hit up Hwy 84, Pescadero, Bonny Doon, Gazos Creek, Jameson Creek, Boulder Creek etc. Great day ride from SF to Alice's along Skyline/Hwy 35 to the coast via some of those backroads. But that's just my opinion...let me know if you want any specific suggestions.

As far as between SF and LA-I have only one idea-make sure you stop in Clovis.

Have fun, ride safe, enjoy CA.
Old 11-13-2013, 07:13 PM   #22
RodT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 339
Tahoe?????

This is the wrong time of the year to go to Tahoe, it's cold and there's a good chance of frost and ice on the roads. If the weather turns bad, Tahoe always gets snow. I would ride south for warmer conditions.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:28 PM   #23
Willsfree
Free to Explore

Oddometer: 3
This Thanksgiving could be a wonderful time for Cali riding. I just did a loop last week north of SF: https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=B...&via=9&t=m&z=8

Fall is my favorite time of year, clear skies, blue water and fall colors. Bring heated gear and balakavas though. It will be cool north or south.

Tweeder's loop through the Santa Cruz mountains would be an awesome start from Alices and then take Highway 9 out of Boulder Crk to Santa Cruz and head south to Carmel. The stretch of Highway One to Cambria is not to be missed. I would personally turn around at San Louis Obisbo and take 101 to SF and then get on Highway One north and connect with the loop I followed last week.

It is a big state, try not to waste your visit on the Interstates or getting stuck in the massive southern california cityscape.

If you're going to try for Tahoe and the whether cooperates, you could loop through Yosemite:https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=S...mra=ls&t=m&z=8

I've been over the Sierra passes many times during the winter, 120 will closed with the first snow, but clear skies at present.

Sounds like you are planning a wonderful trip
1989 Transalp
Willsfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 05:47 AM   #24
Pappy541 OP
Studly Adventurer

Keep the info coming.
I check in every day and make notes!

thanks
Old 11-15-2013, 08:20 AM   #25
wizz
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 874
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsfree View Post
This Thanksgiving could be a wonderful time for Cali riding. I just did a loop last week north of SF: https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=B...&via=9&t=m&z=8

Fall is my favorite time of year, clear skies, blue water and fall colors. Bring heated gear and balakavas though. It will be cool north or south.

Tweeder's loop through the Santa Cruz mountains would be an awesome start from Alices and then take Highway 9 out of Boulder Crk to Santa Cruz and head south to Carmel. The stretch of Highway One to Cambria is not to be missed. I would personally turn around at San Louis Obisbo and take 101 to SF and then get on Highway One north and connect with the loop I followed last week.

It is a big state, try not to waste your visit on the Interstates or getting stuck in the massive southern california cityscape.

If you're going to try for Tahoe and the whether cooperates, you could loop through Yosemite:https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=S...mra=ls&t=m&z=8

I've been over the Sierra passes many times during the winter, 120 will closed with the first snow, but clear skies at present.

Sounds like you are planning a wonderful trip
Nice loop, bit i got confused at FS1. Did you turn around and go back to the coast? Fs1 cuts through 50 miles to 299 and is an awesome road.
wizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 08:26 AM   #26
wizz
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 874
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy541 View Post
Keep the info coming.
I check in every day and make notes!

thanks
If the weather holds north of SF you and you like beer, you could plan your loops to end at some of the best breweries in the country. Lagunitas, Eel river (Fortuna), North Coast (Fort Bragg), Russian River(Santa Rosa), Bear Republic (Healdsburg) just to name a few.
wizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 04:59 PM   #27
Willsfree
Free to Explore

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizz View Post
Nice loop, bit i got confused at FS1. Did you turn around and go back to the coast? Fs1 cuts through 50 miles to 299 and is an awesome road.
I rode the 60 plus miles through from Highway 36 to 299. Camped out on the ridge overlooking the coastal valleys. Made a warm fire and woke up to a frozen tent and frost covered bike.

Google maps wouldn't show the path through the Blue Lake CA.

I started the trip with a beer at Russian River in Santa Rosa.
Two more brewerys to add...Mad River Burger Bar on 36 and Mad River Brewing Co in Blue Lake
1989 Transalp
Willsfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 08:59 AM   #28
brian777
We're there!

Oddometer: 10
ride recommendation carmel, ca to san simeon, ca hwy 1

I highly highly highly recommend this section of PCH:

http://goo.gl/maps/WiA4E

Carmel, CA to San Simeon, CA on Highway 1. Your wife might like a hearst castle tour as well at san simeon :)
brian777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 01:03 PM   #29
AngryScot

Oddometer: 18,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian777 View Post
I highly highly highly recommend this section of PCH:

http://goo.gl/maps/WiA4E

Carmel, CA to San Simeon, CA on Highway 1. Your wife might like a hearst castle tour as well at san simeon :)
Agreed, plus Cambria just south is a wonderful destination and some good eats and places to stay if needed.
Madonna Inn is spendy but really fun americana wacky stuff, but the fillet steak is amazing!!!(ask for sharon, best waitress there )
They also have a hot tub and spa for the wifey so you can gain honey credits :)

Some great roads out and around that area too. Plus wine tasting etc.

If you are up near russian river, add rio nido roadhouse to the list, great food and the owner is an inmate

have fun!
AngryScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:22 PM   #30
ThirdBestFriend
Explorer

Oddometer: 119
Hey man! You are coming in Friday 11/22 and that's when I am going moto camping down at Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park Friday night/Saturday night. I already have the camping spot booked and am willing to share it on either night if you are interested.

Leaving San Jose around 6pm if you want to ride down together Friday.

PM me if interested.
ThirdBestFriend is offline   Reply With Quote