Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2014, 11:54 AM   #136
cmkaduce
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
Cheers!

Hey David,

Really great to meet you in Antigua and awesome RR! Good writing and beautiful photos.

Cody
MN Buildings & Equipment; Kaduce Tire

The Minnesota Boy Heads South --> http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=928493
cmkaduce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 10:37 PM   #137
treefort13
Rerutnevda ylranG

Oddometer: 1,237
Great ride report! Don't hurry back to Denver, your weather is warmer.
"The things that happen to people...the tragedies, life-altering events that shut us down, render us dysfunctional, turn successful lives into train wrecks. The folks who were always a little "odd" and who have slid way, way beyond "odd" as they've aged."
-Sabre-
treefort13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 08:51 AM   #138
d_mob OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 219
Going Back, Back, Back... To Nica, Nica, Nica!!!

As with most places so far, due to new friends and a couple of really nice girls Graziella & Linda that I met the day before I was supposed to leave, I ended up staying in El Tunco longer than expected. It turned out to be one of the best stops on the trip so far. I fell in love with the place, had one of the craziest nights of my life, explored caves, had mud/sand fights, and also met two new amigos for life. Paul (the crazy Brit) and Jayden (the crazy Canuck) are traveling to Panama on bikes that they sourced in Guatemala City. We got on well and decided that we would all ride together to Leon in Nicaragua.

The three of us met at 7am yesterday morning and got out of El Tunco, El Salvador rather quickly. We knew it would be a long day as we had 287 miles of riding along with 2 border crossings into/out of Honduras. Paul is on a large (loud as $hit) cruiser that fits his personality well. Jayden is on a small Honda 230, perfect for dirt, but not so good on the highway. We kept a good pace through the twisting roads and made good time to the border. We exited through El Salvador fairly easy and quickly, but the entrance into Honduras was a different story. Remember my "you can't have the good without the bad" epiphany from before? Well, my prediction about 'the bad' coming soon turned out to be spot on. Honduras wasn't the best experience, which matched up with what I've read in other travel reports.

I had decided to help out a local guy (helper) again, but this time the experience was much different. He started out very friendly running around making copies of necessary documents, and helping me cut in lines here and there. We made it to the end and he started telling me that there was a "road tax: and I also needed to get my bike sprayed for $45 USD. I laughed at this and went to give him $5 for his troubles. He wouldn't accept it and said, "follow me, I show you". I walked with him towards a sketch building where he assured me I needed to go, but I turned around and promptly told him to F off. I offered him the $5 and he said, "no $45". Again, F off. After going back and forth he then said, "OK, I accept $10 for my work". I said "wait, I tried to give you $5, you then try to screw me, and now you want $10?". I offered him $4 now and said "take it or leave it". He did work, but I deducted $1 due to his attempt at fleecing me for $45. Wanker. He left in a bit of a huff, and I assume it would have gotten more heated had there not been a ton of people around. So now I'm batting 50% with helpers. Not sure if I'll use them from here on out.

The three of us made it through Honduras fairly quickly. It hit 99.5F during the ride, which is the hottest it has been during my trip. We made it to the exit of Honduras, and said goodbye with a one finger salute. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure the country is amazing, and the majority of the people fantastic, but the border and police roadblock/shakedown that we experienced left a bad taste. We entered Nicaragua and immediately ran into another issue. Jayden has five months remaining on his passport. The guy at immigracion was in a sour mood and refused to let him into the country without six months remaining. At first I thought it would be a minor setback and they would eventually let him through. After an hour of arguing with the guy, and his boss, there was nothing that they would do for us. Unfortunately, both Paul and Jayden had to turn back, while I continued on towards Leon (sorry guys!).

Upon arrival in Leon, I drove around for a bit and found a hostel. However, they wouldn't allow me to park my bike inside, so I found another that would. Tango's Hostel is a new place that is very clean, run by a nice young couple, and allowed me to roll the bike right up into the restaurant with no issue. Since it is new, I'm the only guest. I feel like a VIP and have a 4-bed dorm all to myself for $6/night. I plan to explore Leon today, and then head out to Granada tomorrow. After another two nights in Granada, the plan is to head back to the beach in San Juan del Sur. I would highly recommend this place if you want a cheap, clean, safe place to stay very close to plaza central. Ask for Nahuel and/or Alejandra when you arrive to Tango's, they'll get you sorted.

On a random, but somber side note, I received loads of messages while in El Tunco reminding me to stay vigilant and safe during my travels. Apparently, a guy doing a similar trip has gone missing in Michoacan, Mexico. Read the article, join the Facebook page, and pass along the word. Hopefully Harry is found safe and sound...

See everyone on the flip... Hasta pronto!

~ D

d_mob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 08:58 AM   #139
MrGoldfish
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 479
Tell us more about the craziest night of your life.
MrGoldfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 09:21 AM   #140
d_mob OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGoldfish View Post
Tell us more about the craziest night of your life.
That would be waaaaaaay inappropriate, but let's just say the two girls referenced were very friendly. Possibly over a beer sometime.

~ David "Seriously Making Up For Lost Time Due To A Recently Ended Marriage" Mobley...
Old 02-11-2014, 09:45 AM   #141
bobfab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,346
just read the report from the beginning. Im in now!! Safe Travels!!
Old 02-11-2014, 09:58 AM   #142
AdventurePoser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,964
Read the whole thing over a long coffee this morning. Love the photography and words. Keep it up!
Old 02-11-2014, 01:56 PM   #143
MrGoldfish
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_mob View Post
That would be waaaaaaay inappropriate, but let's just say the two girls referenced were very friendly. Possibly over a beer sometime.

~ David "Seriously Making Up For Lost Time Due To A Recently Ended Marriage" Mobley...
I thought it was kinda weird that you were writing a ride report about how the riding was, but the only pics you had interspersed amongst the text were pictures of scantily clad women. Anywho... carry on.
MrGoldfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 02:10 PM   #144
FTL900
White and nerdy

Oddometer: 263
HEY!! Where's the rest??

I found your ride report this morning, and I'm reading along, and bam!!
OK, you didn't really quit, I just caught up.
Bookmarked this and your blog, I'm in!!

I'm reading your ride report from my office job in between designing new application interfaces in a small cubicle in north Las Vegas, where we're having unseasonably warm weather, in the 70's all this week.
Old 02-11-2014, 02:38 PM   #145
Meme
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
hahaha were they locals?

Quote:

Meme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 03:47 PM   #146
vintagespeed
fNg

Oddometer: 1,721
Quote:
...but let's just say the two girls referenced were very friendly....
THAT'S IT, I'M UN-SUBSCRIBING!

nice work.

TAT-2013: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=913898
SoCal_NoDak-2012: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=829203
vintagespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 05:27 PM   #147
AteamNM
Wonna Be ADVrider

Oddometer: 3,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagespeed View Post
THAT'S IT, I'M UN-SUBSCRIBING!

Yea me too. This ride report has nothing to do with riding. Beautiful girls and sunsets, blaaaah.

AteamNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 05:42 PM   #148
#1Fan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 696

Front page!
Everyone should be so lucky as to be able to ride a motorbike through the Himalayas.
#1Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 10:29 AM   #149
d_mob OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AteamNM View Post
Yea me too. This ride report has nothing to do with riding. Beautiful girls and sunsets, blaaaah.

Alright haterade, ride report with a bit more substance coming right up!

Then again, the 'theme' of the trip has stayed fairly similar so it may be a bit challenging...
Old 02-17-2014, 10:35 AM   #150
d_mob OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Pura Vida | Costa Rica...

I left Granada two days ago after partying it up with my new friends Paul and Jayden (English / Canadian fellow motorcycle travelers). I also met a really fun Irish friend named Caroline. True to her roots she ended up drinking me under the table and making fun of me the next day for feeling like arse. After that mess I wanted to find a tranquil beach in Costa Rica to relax and lick my wounds. Manuel Antonio popped up on several searches, so I pointed my front wheel in that direction and headed out.

The ride out of Nica was easy enough. Smooth riding on twisty roads, but it was steaming hot. It hit 99.7F according to my gauge, which is brutally hot with full gear. I'd heard that Costa would be the longest border crossing due to the crowds and confusion. Fortunately, I didn't have that experience. I tipped the police officer and walked right into immigration in front of a line of about 200 people. They looked pretty pissed, but honestly I was so tired and hot I didn't feel too bad. After immigration I set off to make copies of all the documents, then followed two local motorcyclists who seemed to know what they were doing. Sure enough they ended up pointing me in the right direction and I was off before I knew it.

The roads in Costa Rica all the way down to M.A. (Manuel Antonio) were perfection. Freshly paved, smooth, low traffic, and beautiful views in all directions. I even managed to meet and ride with a local on a Honda Transalp for a bit. He was a former racer as well, so let's just say our impromptu rally south was very spirited. It was a long, but enjoyable ride. After 280+ miles I finally pulled into Hotel Plinio at around 4pm. The dorms are $12 per night here, which is a bit more than my $6 - $9 average thus far. It is actually cheap for Costa Rica, which is shockingly expensive after being in other Central American countries for some time now. I sat down for my first lunch and, after doing a bit of math in my head, was dumbfounded as to why the dish was $18 USD. This realization further solidifies my plan to pass through Costa fairly quickly.

There is parking here at the hotel and security watching the bike every night. The majority of the staff are all volunteering in return for room and board. Fortunately for me, they all happen to be attractive young things, and are all very nice. Ev is from Ireland, Stacey from the States, and Donna from Peru. They are like the United Nations of hot chicas. Donna is off today, so I think we're going to take the bike for a ride to a private secluded beach that she knows about. M.A. is nice, but there are a LOT of people running around. A relaxing day on a secluded beach with monkeys sounds absolutely perfect.

So far I've clocked just over 6,800 miles. I left Denver on Nov 18th, so technically I've been gone for three months now. I've checked off seven different countries, and seen and experienced a lot of amazing things along the way. Maybe it's the vibe here in Costa Rica, but I feel like everything is really going well. I'm happier than I can ever remember, and more relaxed than I've been in a long, long time. Over the past few days I've ridden up and down pristine coastline, surfed waves, swam naked in the ocean at night (sorry mom), witnessed countless beautiful sunsets, two gorgeous full moon cycles, and rode to the edge of a very active volcano to trade my bike for a horse (fortunately we swapped back after a brief tour of the rim with my new friends from Slovenia Eva and Blanca). All that and I still yearn for more, more, more.

I'm currently sitting in a hammock at Plinio and have just loaded my route for tomorrow. I plan to backtrack northwest a bit and then head east/south to end up in Manzanillo on the Caribbean Coast. I've read it is a super chill place with fewer gringos, so if true I'll spend a few nights there. After that, and possibly a few nights in Bocas Del Toro, Paul and Jayden have invited me to join them in Playa Venado for a few nights at a secret place that they've described as paradise on earth. They didn't have to twist my arm too hard to get me to agree to that obviously. Not to mention the three of us get along really well. It's sometimes hard to find funny, genuine, caring friends. They are good dudes, and I hope we're able to stay in touch through the years.

Alright alright, I think that's it for now. Donna is giving me the evil eye and pestering me to get off me arse and head to the beach on the bike. That said, hasta pronto amigos!!!

~ D