User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2013, 02:35 PM   #1
ex250mike OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 212
List of LEGAL places to ride untagged?

I'm considering buying a cheap trail bike and making 3-4 trips to Georgia each year. I'm wondering if I would get much use out of it here in FL also.

I know there are some halfassed trails in ONF and there is croom (never been there.) What else is available? I don't care for moto-x tracks, just trails.
ex250mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 04:06 PM   #2
PFSGATORS
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by ex250mike View Post
I'm considering buying a cheap trail bike and making 3-4 trips to Georgia each year. I'm wondering if I would get much use out of it here in FL also.

I know there are some halfassed trails in ONF and there is croom (never been there.) What else is available? I don't care for moto-x tracks, just trails.
You just go on believing that the trails in ONF are "half assed" and I will keep riding the sing track there by myself!

I would also suggest River City Dirt Riders- The have plenty of half assed trails on their lease-
PFSGATORS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 04:13 PM   #3
ineptizoid
I'm scared hold me

Oddometer: 5,448
Quote:
Originally Posted by ex250mike View Post

Paging Sub Zero to the white courtesy phone

Everything I really needed to know, I learned in Schneider School.

Official Organizer of the ADVrider Sandbox Hooligans Anti-FEE Movement

Quoth the Photojournalist: Am I gonna be the one that's gonna set them straight? Look at me--WRONG!
ineptizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 04:29 PM   #4
brewmann
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 889
Quote:
Originally Posted by ineptizoid View Post
Paging Sub Zero to the white courtesy phone
Half ass ?? What ?? There are business parks and industrial complexes all over the area that need to be explored for the first time and have single track cut....

There's also PASCO....
Old 11-06-2013, 08:31 PM   #5
Bobby Ginger
Cat Herder

Oddometer: 940
Old 11-06-2013, 09:09 PM   #6
Dr.Z
6Sigma Knuckle Shflr

Oddometer: 10,174
Croom is worth going to if you don't live too far away. Lots of single track & hill climbs if that's what you're after. Yearly permit is $60. 1 day pass is $15. This permit is also good for Tate's Hell ORV area on the SE end of the Apalachicola National Forest. There's also quite a few OHV areas in the NE part of Apalachicola NF near Silver Lake.

Croom has a campground with showers and full hookups. I think the campsites are $20-25/night. More info here.

If you're looking to ride private land, check out Florida Trail Riders. Lots of events (harescrambles, enduros, & MX). There's a few FEES involved with that sort of chuckleheadery though.

He's got some of the basics down, but, in the end, that just has to create a bigger clusterfuck in that chinese fire drill of a cognitive thought he brought to the dog and pony show of his new found awareness. - Jack Goff
Dr.Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 11:57 PM   #7
DirtMedic
Intrepid Explorer

Oddometer: 197
To those of you that ride Croom, I am a Hernando County Firefighter/ Paramedic and Croom Motocycle Area is in my first response zone. I have some advice to help you stay a little safer there and it probably applies to other places as well.

First, it is much better to ride there on a weekday with less of a crowd. Weekend and holiday injuries are much more common.

Second, is to pay attention for cross traffic. The problem with Croom is that there is no direction of travel. The entire park is a free for all. It is not uncommon to have someone flying down a trail concentrating on what they are doing while someone else comes at that same trail from a perpendicular direction also concentrating on their trail with both riders at a high rate of speed and neither of them looking for cross traffic. The resulting collision is a frequent scenario we see.

Also, please DO NOT RIDE THERE WITHOUT YOUR CELL PHONE!!!! You need to have the ability to call for help should an injury occur. Cell service is fairly reliable at Croom. Hoping for someone to find you can be a miserable experience and possibly life or limb threatening. A GPS would be helpful as well. We have a handheld GPS so if you can give 911 dispatch your coordinates, we will find you that much faster. If nothing else, at least be able to tell 911 dispatch what part of the park you think you are in such as first day use area, second day use area, on the east or west side of the main road, etc. It is also best to ride with at least one other buddy. Stick together. Two other friends for a total of three in your group would be optimal. One can stay with the injured party while the other guides us back to the location. Our typical incident from the time you place a 911 call to the time we get you in an ambulance is between thirty minutes to an hour depending on where you are. We have had incidents take upwards of two hours due to not being able to locate the patient. Care will begin when we make contact with you. Our jump bags, EKG monitor, meds, back board, and other equipment goes with us as we search for you.

Lastly, just because your bike or quad can, doesn't mean you should. Some of you ride wickedly powerful machines. Ride your skill level, not what your machine is capable of.

We routinely have trauma alerts and other serious injuries come out of that park. I am NOT saying don't go to Croom. It is a great place to have fun and enjoy your sport with family and friends, just don't leave common sense at home. Most folks wear the appropriate gear which is good to see. It does work and it saves a lot of injuries or at least reduces injuries from what they could have been. There have been fatalities there, fortunately those are extremely rare. A few examples of recent calls we have had there are: a rider with a completely severed spine from jumping a sand berm at the front of the park and landing by going over the front of his handle bars (he will never walk again or feel and use anything below his navel), another rider took a turn too fast, collided with a tree and was taken to a trauma center with a pulmonary pneumothorax (punctured lungs), fractured ribs, fractured clavicle, a fractured pelvis, and internal organs that hemorrhaged (his friends estimated his speed at less than 30 mph), yet another rider had a fractured femur from colliding with someone else.

Croom is one of the few remaining places open for off road unlicensed vehicles on state land in Florida. The vast majority of people go and have a good time. Please don't let me or any of my coworkers meet you in our professional capacity.

The following is something I wrote for a local BMW club who wanted to know what to do after an accident: http://dirtmedic.wordpress.com/2013/...-the-accident/

DirtMedic screwed with this post 11-07-2013 at 05:05 AM
DirtMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 12:39 AM   #8
Dr.Z
6Sigma Knuckle Shflr

Oddometer: 10,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtMedic View Post
To those of you that ride Croom, I am a Hernando County Firefighter/ Paramedic and Croom Motocycle Area is in my first response zone. I have some advice to help you stay a little safer there and it probably applies to other places as well.

First, it is much better to ride there on a weekday with less of a crowd. Weekend and holiday injuries are much more common.

Second, is to pay attention for cross traffic. The problem with Croom is that there is no direction of travel. The entire park is a free for all. It is not uncommon to have someone flying down a trail concentrating on what they are doing while someone else comes at that same trail from a perpendicular direction also concentrating on their trail with both riders at a high rate of speed and neither of them looking for cross traffic. The resulting collision is a frequent scenario we see.

Also, please DO NOT RIDE THERE WITHOUT YOUR CELL PHONE!!!! You need to have the ability to call for help should an injury occur. Cell service is fairly reliable at Croom. Hoping for someone to find you can be a miserable experience and possibly life or limb threatening. A GPS would be helpful as well. We have a handheld GPS so if you can give 911 dispatch your coordinates, we will find you that much faster. If nothing else, at least be able to tell 911 dispatch what part of the park you think you are in such as first day use area, second day use area, on the east or west side of the main road, etc. It is also best to ride with at least one other buddy. Stick together. Two other friends for a total of three in your group would be optimal. One can stay with the injured party while the other guides us back to the location. Our typical incident from the time you place a 911 call to the time we get you in an ambulance is between thirty minutes to an hour depending on where you are. We have had incidents take upwards of two hours due to not being able to locate the patient. Care will begin when we make contact with you. Our jump bags, EKG monitor, meds, back board, and other equipment goes with us as we search for you.

Lastly, just because your bike or quad can, doesn't mean you should. Some of you ride wickedly powerful machines. Ride your skill level, not what your machine is capable of.

We routinely have trauma alerts and other serious injuries come out of that park. I am NOT saying don't go to Croom. It is a great place to have fun and enjoy your sport with family and friends, just don't leave common sense at home. Most folks wear the appropriate gear which is good to see. It does work and it saves a lot of injuries or at least reduces injuries from what they could have been. There have been fatalities there, fortunately those are extremely rare. A few examples of recent calls we have had there are: a rider with a completely severed spine from jumping a sand berm at the front of the park and landing by going over the front of his handle bars (he will never walk again or feel and use anything below his navel), another rider took a turn too fast, collided with a tree and was taken to a trauma center with a pulmonary pneumothorax (punctured lungs), fractured ribs, fractured clavicle, a fractured pelvis, and internal organs that hemorrhaged (his friends estimated his speed at less than 30 mph), yet another rider had a fractured femur from colliding with someone else.

Croom is one of the few remaining places open for off road unlicensed vehicles on state land in Florida. The vast majority of people go and have a good time. Please don't let me or any of my coworkers meet you in our professional capacity.
Troof!

A wise man once said... "Don't do stupid shit!"

He's got some of the basics down, but, in the end, that just has to create a bigger clusterfuck in that chinese fire drill of a cognitive thought he brought to the dog and pony show of his new found awareness. - Jack Goff
Dr.Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 05:01 AM   #9
FLARider1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,234
Quote:

This is exactly the reason why I have the SPOT!!!! One button hit on 911 and away comes the calvary!!! If I am gonna be stupid I figure I should be a little smart and have a way for the awesome Fire and Rescue guys to come find my dumbass without to much trouble!! I spend a $150/year for the full subscriptions that gets me the roadside help or the EMS response with evac if needed. Plus its peace of mind for the wifey when I hit the OK button and she gets a text letting her know I am still good!!!

Thank you for the post and the insight from the guys that have to come help us when we push it 'just a wee bit too much'!!!!
FLARider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 05:03 AM   #10
FLARider1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Z View Post
Troof!

A wise man once said... "Don't do stupid shit!"
..........and this coming from the dude that does deep ass sugar 2 up on a big bike!! LOL!!!!! Good thing your wife likes you!!!
FLARider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 05:26 AM   #11
brewmann
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 889
Quote:
Great advice...and you guys have hauled out one my buds before after a high velocity impact with a tree. Incredible job. You folks are just plain awesome.

Thank you for what you do.
Old 11-07-2013, 08:32 AM   #12
DirtMedic
Intrepid Explorer

FLARider1, Ironically I have time to surf the internet right now because I am off work nursing an injury of my own. Not MC related though. As soon as I start riding again in another month or so I will be investing in a GPS emergency beacon too. If you have need of it in Croom though, follow it up with a cell phone call. 911 dispatch also notifies forestry. They store a six wheeled mule called a M.E.R.V. that they pull out and warm up for us while we are responding there. The sooner that thing gets warmed up and moving the better. It's top speed is 25 mph on a straight away and a snails pace in the woods. So not fast at all. It is ancient, but it gets the job done. SPOT type services have a lag time for notifying EMS. They do work with emergency dispatch to help us locate you so it is good to use as well.

Brewmann, Thank you. I hope your friend's situation turned out ok.
Old 11-07-2013, 09:18 AM   #13
DirtMedic
Intrepid Explorer

Didn't mean to hijack the thread, just wanted to take the opportunity to throw out some info about Croom. As for the OP, you may want to consider dual sport. A lot more places open to ride. I love mine and while I am not ever going to catch air on my pig, I can go to some pretty neat places deep in the woods.
Old 11-07-2013, 12:33 PM   #14
ex250mike OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 212
Thanks for the info guys.
ex250mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 07:58 AM   #15
Colemanfu
King of all manfu

Oddometer: 3,458
Now what fun would that be?

Quote: