User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2013, 03:37 PM   #1
Ratman OP
Lucky Rider

Oddometer: 1,103
Spectating the BJ100 2013

I'm getting psyched up to go watch the Baja 1000. I haven't been south of the border for over a year. I need a fix.

I'll go alone if I can't wrestle up some company. I have decide whether to take my old sport touring bike or my DR350....depends on if someone wants to go with me.

Nothing is written in stone, and I don't care whether you're a Baja noob or have a lot of experience. In case you don't know, I'm old and prolly could be considered slow....I prefer to say that I'm careful.

Oh, I travel cheaply and prefer to sleep out, but that's not written in stone either. I have a good deal of experience in Baja, but am still learning.

I'll figure on leaving Oceanside Ca next Wed the 13, Nov. Nope, not going to be towing my dualsport.... One or the other.

Or I could be talked into helping a race effort somewhere Remote or not... Cars or bikes.

From moto trailer
p.ratfab@gmail.com
Ratman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 04:20 PM   #2
dirtdawgdiva
DirtDawgDiva

Oddometer: 17
Sounds like you've done this a bunch of times! How many of these races have you been to? What's your favorite part? We're driving down in a rental car, wish we were biking it.

Have you decided how you'll travel?
dirtdawgdiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 09:37 AM   #3
Ratman OP
Lucky Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdawgdiva View Post
Sounds like you've done this a bunch of times! How many of these races have you been to? What's your favorite part? We're driving down in a rental car, wish we were biking it.

Have you decided how you'll travel?
I raced. my first Baja race in '70 (in cars), DDD. I started camping in Baja at 14 in '54 with my dad, so I thought that I had an edge on the competition.

Anyway, I raced a dozen or so Baja races in a 15 year racing career....and I've been making trips to Baja every since.

My favorite part is just being in Baja. It doesn't really matter where. I like the coast south of Santo Tomas, the coast south of San Felipe, and I like the piney tree mtns up by Laguna Hansen.

For this race I've decided to ride my DR350 down to Tecate Thursday morning, and then out past Rancho Veronica then on down to the piney trees area to the race course to watch the race. That close to the start where there will still be a lot of racers in the race, and they won't be spread out too far.

The Ensenada scene is a madhouse, and I've been there a million times so I'll skip that, but it's a must see for a first timer.

I'll prolly miss all the bikes coming thru because they'll come thru after midnight, but I might still be up around a camp fire.....not likely though.

I love the bikes, but they don't put on as good a show as the fast cars and trucks which I'll get to see in the morning.

After the majority of cars come thru, I'll pack up and ride down to Via Trinidad. I should be able to catch the first bikes coming back north if I can get there by 2pm.

Here's SCORE's Jpg map...
From odds and ends 3

I'll spend Friday night there somewhere, It's possible I might get up to Mike's Sky Rancho and watch from there.

so, what are your plans, DDD??

From CDR Colorado
p.ratfab@gmail.com
Old 11-08-2013, 10:42 AM   #4
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Oddometer: 3,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post

After the majority of cars come thru, I'll pack up and ride down to Via Trinidad. I should be able to catch the first bikes coming back north if I can get there by 2pm.
Top Trophy Trucks expect that getting back around to Valley T will be taking around 16 hours. So you will have a wee bit of slack time as the first scooters should get there around 3pm ish.

Old 11-08-2013, 11:38 AM   #5
Ratman OP
Lucky Rider

Race Time estimate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strong Bad View Post
Top Trophy Trucks expect that getting back around to Valley T will be taking around 16 hours. So you will have a wee bit of slack time as the first scooters should get there around 3pm ish.

I used a 50mph average, Strong Bad.... Thanks for confirming my calcs.

If the bikes are out of ensenada at 11pm, it should take them about 15 hrs to get to V T at mile 760. Yeah, that'd be 2pm Sat at V T for first bike.
p.ratfab@gmail.com
Old 11-11-2013, 08:36 PM   #6
dirtdawgdiva
DirtDawgDiva

Renting a car for Baja 1000

Hey folks,

we're renting a car for our trip down to Baja and I'm wondering if it's necessary to buy special insurance?

If so, does anyone have any recommendations or hook ups on good rates?

Thanks!
Old 11-12-2013, 07:57 AM   #7
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Oddometer: 3,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdawgdiva View Post
Hey folks,

we're renting a car for our trip down to Baja and I'm wondering if it's necessary to buy special insurance?

If so, does anyone have any recommendations or hook ups on good rates?

Thanks!
Not sure if the rental car company would be happy about taking the car international. That being said, I know of plenty of people who have done it. Yes, you do need Mexico specific auto insurance from a Mexican insurance company.

I always use Baja Bound Insurance:http://www.bajabound.com/

I suppose after you pick the car up you could go on line and buy the insurance.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:11 AM   #8
dirtdawgdiva
DirtDawgDiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strong Bad View Post
Not sure if the rental car company would be happy about taking the car international. That being said, I know of plenty of people who have done it. Yes, you do need Mexico specific auto insurance from a Mexican insurance company.

I always use Baja Bound Insurance:http://www.bajabound.com/

I suppose after you pick the car up you could go on line and buy the insurance.
Thanks Strongbad. I was looking at the insurance options on the link you provided above... Is it liability that you need, or to cover the vehicle?

Are you there already? Woo!
Old 11-12-2013, 11:27 AM   #9
GalacticGS
1200 GS Rider

Oddometer: 2,028
DDD,

Your rental car insurance or regular US car insurance will usually not cover the car in Mexico, so I would recommend getting full coverage insurance from Baja Bound Insurance. It's relatively cheap...
"Speak to me of summer, long winters longer than time can remember;
Setting up of other roads, travel on in old accustomed ways."
GalacticGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 02:04 PM   #10
dirtdawgdiva
DirtDawgDiva

Most rental car company don't want you to take the car international.. Any suggestions on how to handle this? Looks like Baja Bound wants you to get permission when getting Mexican Insurance on a rental...

Thanks for your feedback!
Old 11-12-2013, 02:13 PM   #11
dirtdawgdiva
DirtDawgDiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalacticGS View Post
DDD,

Your rental car insurance or regular US car insurance will usually not cover the car in Mexico, so I would recommend getting full coverage insurance from Baja Bound Insurance. It's relatively cheap...
Thanks GalatcticGS! was wondering if you can suggest regarding taking a rental down to Baja, seems most of the rental co's don't want you to take a their rental down to Baja, and baja bound suggests you get permission. Any thoughts?
Old 11-12-2013, 03:23 PM   #12
GalacticGS
1200 GS Rider

Oddometer: 2,028
No help on what to tell the rental car company; other than to guarantee to them that you will obtain full coverage Mexican insurance. I've never taken a rental car into Baja.

You might be able to get a ride down to Ensenada and rent a car there (within Baja). Then you'll have no problem. I haven't rented in Ensenada before, but have rented cars in Mexico without any problems.
"Speak to me of summer, long winters longer than time can remember;
Setting up of other roads, travel on in old accustomed ways."
GalacticGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 04:21 PM   #13
desert650
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Hate to be a Debbie Downer here, but don't take a rental car into Baja... Just not worth it in my opinion.

I've done it twice, and was just lucky nothing bad happened. No one will insure it, and if the rental company finds out it's over the border they'll hammer you for all the mileage and charge other fees on top.

Also, If it gets stolen or broken into, you're on the hook for that too (for everything).

I dunno, It's just not worth it.
desert650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 04:35 PM   #14
dirtdawgdiva
DirtDawgDiva

Anyone driving down from LA tomorrow and coming back Sunday? Really bummer news... Not sure what to do at this point.
Old 11-12-2013, 04:55 PM   #15
Gregg Wannabe
Just killing time

Oddometer: 2,284
There are rental car companies that will rent you a car for travel to MX. Google it. Sorry, but I have to shut down now and get outta here or I'd help more. Good luck.

I think MX only requires liability BTW but you would of course want full coverage if you had something nice.
Gregg Wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote