ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2013, 05:12 PM   #1
2upadv OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 933
Winter Riding Thread

Tis the season As most are reluctantly parking the bikes for the Winter, there are many of us out here that enjoy riding in the Cold

Lets hear how you set up both your bike and your Body for dealing with the Winter elements so we can learn from each other.

Since the Ice racing crew has their own thread lets limit this to Trail and Road riding only.

I'll start with my GSA and street riding, Nothing special on the bike other than I will install automotive tire studs in the tires to help with Black Ice. Heated Grips and the Bark busters keep the fingers warm using TourMaster Polar Teck gloves that are comfortable into the lower single digits. Gerbings heated jacket below 40 and the Gerbings pant liners when it gets into the 20s which makes it comfortable all day.

Bike maintenance does not change much other than I will wash it more often. I do remove the taillight and coat the connections with dialectric grease because you cant get a hose in there. The taillight corrodes and needs replaced every few years but after 90k miles that is the only failure due to salt.

Ok enough of me lets hear how you set up for the Winter Rides
2upadv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 07:53 PM   #2
Tammy
Team 2nd Wind

Oddometer: 1,462
I go naked FZ8 firstgear tpg gear warm and safe gloves and jacket liner. If the snow gets deep my wr250f will get me to work.
AMA / CJCR / ECEA
In a world that what we want is only what we want until it's ours
Tammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 02:43 PM   #3
mtrdrms
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 363
I ride all year round unless there is any significant ice. I keep my givi windscreen all the way up, put on my cheapo ATV handlebar muffs, crank up the heated grips and that's about it on the bike. On me I wear a sweatshirt under my tourmaster transition jacket, Tourmaster winter gloves, a windproof fleece balaclava around my neck and chin, castle streetwear overpants over my work clothes and I'm good. This setup is good for my 20 mile commute in single digits and costs less than half of a klim jacket! Lol, I'm just jelous

2007 BMW R1200GS
2013 KTM 450 XC-F
mtrdrms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 02:50 PM   #4
VACommuter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,632
I take the Hacked KLR for foul weather. I run my vest and gloves off of a yellow-top winch battery that I toss in the sidecar.

2003 KLR 685 "Street Ugly"
2007 KLR 719 "Muscles from Brussels"
VACommuter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 03:12 PM   #5
2upadv OP
Studly Adventurer

There is a solution to the Ice covered road issue http://www.brunowessel.com/

I started studding the TKC 80's and they worked really well but did not last, so I tried studding Heidenau K60 and they did not work as well or last any longer. Both would last 2 winter seasons riding all winter with a 90 mile round trip commute.

Just picked up a set of Karoo3's that I am going to try for this year. The studs are the 11mm automotive studs

I wear primarily the BMW Rally 3 suit with the liner and gerbings and you do feel how well that jacket vents but it is tolerable. My lowest temp was -8f one day on the ride in to work last year.

Keep the stories coming

Here is a linkif you want to get tires already studded. Scroll to the bottom of the page for Adventure tires http://www.kevinscycleracing.com/tires.htm#studded tire promo oct 11

2upadv screwed with this post 11-07-2013 at 03:17 PM
Old 11-08-2013, 05:16 AM   #6
tjzondrz
I'm older now.

Oddometer: 1,082
No electric

I just bundle up.Lower extremities consist of-
Good quality insulated underwear,fleece pants,Klim pants,Smartwool socks.
Upper extremities-
Good quality insulated underwear,sweetshirt,light fleece shirt,Klim Jacket.
Klim long gauntlet thermotec gloves.
Balaclava under Hornet DS helmet.

Hey Mike,
Bike make it home from the S500 OK?
That ride was tame compaired to the BEB 7 Mtns. campout ride.
Cheer's Buddy.
Tim
tjzondrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 05:23 AM   #7
tjzondrz
I'm older now.

Oddometer: 1,082
Oh Yea

Oh yea,I forgot to mention a Cee Bailey wind screen on the DRZ.
Has great benefits for all year riding.
tjzondrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 03:01 PM   #8
2upadv OP
Studly Adventurer

Karoo 3

After watching it snow all day yesterday decided to get the GSA ready for its Winter Duty, This year I am trying the Karoo 3 with 11mm automotive studs

Old 11-09-2013, 07:44 PM   #9
mtrdrms
Gnarly Adventurer

Wow! Did you put those in? How well have studded tires worked for you in the past? Certain conditions only? How are they on dry pavement? This could mean checking a bucket list box ( riding to work EVERYDAY for one year) without a hack. Gotta know more...

2007 BMW R1200GS
2013 KTM 450 XC-F
Old 11-09-2013, 09:09 PM   #10
2upadv OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrdrms View Post
Wow! Did you put those in? How well have studded tires worked for you in the past? Certain conditions only? How are they on dry pavement? This could mean checking a bucket list box ( riding to work EVERYDAY for one year) without a hack. Gotta know more...
To answer your questions: Yes I do stud my own Tires, They work Surprisingly well. It is winter so I am not scraping pegs Sand and Icey roads make you ride with caution but these tires grip. I have used TKC 80s, and Heidenau K60sin the past. On dry pavement you get a little buzz. Ride report on these tires tomorrow
Old 11-10-2013, 05:17 AM   #11
mtrdrms
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks! Can't wait...

2007 BMW R1200GS
2013 KTM 450 XC-F
Old 11-10-2013, 08:09 AM   #12
BryonLewis
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
I really need to pick up the bikes/equipment to allow me to ride later in the season. I took a ride last night in the Adirondacks to Lake George and it was snowing lightly. I was using a smartwool base layer followed by an underarmour cold weather layer then jeans, and a sweatshirt under my jacket. It was about 32 to 35 degrees and while my upper body was fine (tucked behind the old man bat fairing on the VTX) my lower legs and hands required me to stop a few times. Lower legs could probably be fixed with a wind barrier material. It looks like the only solution for hands are heated gear.

Neither of my current bikes seem like they would make decent winter bikes. I think in the future I want to pick up something like an older KLR or dual sport for winter riding and maybe start some trail riding. Just as a question. Do you think plasti-dip on the fairings, forks, frame, wheels and any non heated components work for the winter and then just peel it off in the spring?
Old 11-10-2013, 03:43 PM   #13
Mohawk Unit
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
In albany, I was fortunate enough not to miss a day last winter. Heated jacket liner, grips, and hippo hands. If I go out for more than just a commute I add the heated socks, they are worth it to me.

Only time I ever had an issue was when I went up your way to Keeseville during the week between Christmas and New Years, right after a snowstorm. Highways were fine and salted, but once I got off the main roads it took about an hour to go the 5 miles through town to my family's camp. Lost the bike twice and took a bashing on the shoulder. I'd love to try studded tires at some point.

Me
Mohawk Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 03:58 PM   #14
cheeseyboy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjzondrz View Post
Oh yea,I forgot to mention a Cee Bailey wind screen on the DRZ.
Has great benefits for all year riding.
Which wind screen did you get? I'm in the market for 1, and can't make up my mind. I'm still riding with my Rev-it gear, I have to break down and get a good pair of gloves.
cheeseyboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 03:49 AM   #15
2upadv OP
Studly Adventurer

Yesterday was a good test of the Studded Karoo 3. The day started out 33F and light rain, to 45 and Sunny and 50 miles of snow /slush covered roads. Not good conditions to break in new tires. Tires were a little un predictable at first on wet roads but once they broke in I found them to handle as well as TKC 80,s without studs.
When I got caught on some snow covered roads the studs helped with keeping it upright, The wide knobs on the tire do cause a little floatation so if the snow was more that an inch it may have been ugly.
Did get on several seasonal use roads and the Karoo 3 handles the mud really well. Definitely using them next summer

One of the best items of gear I forgot to mention is a PinLock Shield on your helmet that prevents Fogging and comes in several colors. I should have used the Yellow insert yesterday